Cold Spring Spending Taxpayers $$$ to Post Recipes on Website

Posted in the Highland Heights Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Taxpayer

Independence, KY

#1 Mar 29, 2013
At the 3/25/13 City Council meeting, Mayor Stoeber said the city is currently paying $25 per HOUR to the Health & Wellness Advisor to post recipes on the citys website.

Councilwoman Cavanaugh had questions about the upcoming cooking class scheduled in April.
She asked how many people usually attend, and the Mayor stated about 25. She then asked if there was a cost to the city and the Mayor replied around $1000.
Thats $40 per person of tax dollars being paid to watch someone cook and then to have a sample.
Cavanaugh then asked if the recipes would be posted on the city website and Mayor Stoeber said yes they would.
She then asked if the city was currently paying $25 to have these receipes posted, and the Mayor said "Yes we are"
Cavanaugh questioned how this was a "necessary government expense" and the only response the Mayor gave then was "the previous council had approved it in the last budget"....You have got to be kidding me!!!

What else is the city spending and wasting your tax money on?
Why was this hidden in the previous budget and not listed and shown as a line item?
Pay attention people, this is how the Mayor is spending your $$$
IceT

Amelia, OH

#2 Mar 29, 2013
Who cares Lisa
Webwatcher

Hamilton, OH

#3 Mar 29, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
At the 3/25/13 City Council meeting, Mayor Stoeber said the city is currently paying $25 per HOUR to the Health & Wellness Advisor to post recipes on the citys website.
Councilwoman Cavanaugh had questions about the upcoming cooking class scheduled in April.
She asked how many people usually attend, and the Mayor stated about 25. She then asked if there was a cost to the city and the Mayor replied around $1000.
Thats $40 per person of tax dollars being paid to watch someone cook and then to have a sample.
Cavanaugh then asked if the recipes would be posted on the city website and Mayor Stoeber said yes they would.
She then asked if the city was currently paying $25 to have these receipes posted, and the Mayor said "Yes we are"
Cavanaugh questioned how this was a "necessary government expense" and the only response the Mayor gave then was "the previous council had approved it in the last budget"....You have got to be kidding me!!!
What else is the city spending and wasting your tax money on?
Why was this hidden in the previous budget and not listed and shown as a line item?
Pay attention people, this is how the Mayor is spending your $$$
Damn if you live in Independence and pay Cold Spring taxes you should about more than recipes.
Taxpayer

Independence, KY

#4 Mar 29, 2013
Webwatcher wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn if you live in Independence and pay Cold Spring taxes you should about more than recipes.
The cities come up based on your internet provider

I think every taxpayer should care about how their money is being spent and I dont think its being a good steward of taxpayers $$$.
I dont believe its right and I do think taxpayers should aware of how their money is being spent. If everything is transparent whats the problem in saying something about it.
I think people should be more involved with local government.
We cant change what happens in Washington, but we can and need to have a voice and affect what happens in our communities.
But thats just my opinion
Resident4

Newark, OH

#5 Mar 30, 2013
From what I recall you attended these events and was all for health and wellness for our city residence. Why such a turn of events? Haven't you wasted your share of taxpayers money in the past? Stop throwing rocks at glass houses.

If I recall correctly at one of the health fairs a gentle was taken straight to the hospital from the cardiac mobil unit. I don't have a problem spending tax dollars and saving a life.

Would you rather donate it to local day cares, have special luncheons, order way over the needed amount so you could take it home to your own family. Oh maybe just pay your own son to be the Easter Bunny.

Watch out Lisa your vindictive ways are about to be rocked.
IceT

Hamilton, OH

#6 Mar 30, 2013
Question issues face to face. Don't hide on here. What kind of elected official does that? I know, a cowardly one.
Lisa Cav

Independence, KY

#7 Mar 30, 2013
IceT wrote:
Question issues face to face. Don't hide on here. What kind of elected official does that? I know, a cowardly one.
Im not hiding nor am I a coward, but I am a taxpayer.
The issues have and will be questioned face to face
Is IceT the name on your birth certificate?
If not, will you come out from behind your screen now?
Michele

United States

#8 Mar 30, 2013
Lisa Cav wrote:
<quoted text>
Im not hiding nor am I a coward, but I am a taxpayer.
The issues have and will be questioned face to face
Is IceT the name on your birth certificate?
If not, will you come out from behind your screen now?
Why do you want to hurt our city instead if be positive and improve it. You want to run off healthily events and criticize the kids events. That is not being a good Christian. I just heard about this web sight from a friend and can't believe our little city is run like this. Grow up.
Lisa Cav

Independence, KY

#9 Mar 30, 2013
Michele wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you want to hurt our city instead if be positive and improve it. You want to run off healthily events and criticize the kids events. That is not being a good Christian. I just heard about this web sight from a friend and can't believe our little city is run like this. Grow up.
I absolutely do not want to hurt this city at all. I have alot of pride and family history here that truly means something to me.
I dont know exactly how you think Im hurting the city? I do believe that spending $25 per hour to post recipes on a city website is a waste of taxpayers dollars and that $$ could be put to better use, and I think in way that is improving our city to see that our tax $$ are being spent efficiently. I got elected to be a voice for the residents, thats all Im trying to do.

Not sure what you mean that I want to run off healthily events?
The city has wonderful events for the kids, and always looking for ways to improve them is not criticizing them.

I dont run this city. I just got elected and have only been on 3 months. The rest of them have been here for awhile, and they are the ones that have been running the city. All Im doing is asking questions of things that I dont understand.
Lisa

Independence, KY

#10 Mar 31, 2013
Resident4 wrote:
From what I recall you attended these events and was all for health and wellness for our city residence. Why such a turn of events? Haven't you wasted your share of taxpayers money in the past? Stop throwing rocks at glass houses.
If I recall correctly at one of the health fairs a gentle was taken straight to the hospital from the cardiac mobil unit. I don't have a problem spending tax dollars and saving a life.
Would you rather donate it to local day cares, have special luncheons, order way over the needed amount so you could take it home to your own family. Oh maybe just pay your own son to be the Easter Bunny.
Watch out Lisa your vindictive ways are about to be rocked.
I can hear your voice as I read your words and I know exactly who you are. Im not sure what I ever did to you, to make you feel like that towards me. Maybe you can tell me personally the next time you see me because I would like to know. But whatever,I dont mind answering your questions even though there irrelevant to the issue.
Yes, I attended a couple of them....so what??

Yes, I am all for health & wellness. Ive lost 75lbs and try and take care of myself and there has been no turn events

Overall no, I do not believe I have wasted taxpayers $$. Actually I have done many things to save the city money where I could. It might have been just a little bit here and there, but every bit helps.

Saving a life is wonderful, but thats not the issue at all here

If you're talking about donating leftover candy to the daycares,I would rather do that then throw it away. Non candy items were saved for the next year.

By special luncheons, I presume you mean with Public Works and Fire Dept. Although I ate lunch with them many times, the only times it was paid for out event budget was when they would set up for Day in the Park and for Visit with Santa. I bought lunch for the Fire Dept after the Day in the Park as a Thank You for them bringing the Safety House, their ladder truck and squad and for coordinating the Air-Care landing and participating in the event at no cost to the city. And also at Christmas for their help with the Santa Visit. I felt it was the least I could do.

When planning these events, its hard to estimate how many is going to show up and to figure out how much stuff to get. I always tried to overestimate just a bit, because weve run out of things in the past, and its better to have more and some left over, then to run out during an event. For anything left over, it was food stuff that had to been eaten or couldnt be saved until next year. It was divided up between Park Board volunteers, city employees, fire dept, police dept, daycares; just depending on how much was left. But no I never deliberately over ordered for personal gain.

Yes, for 2 yrs, my son was given a $25 gift card to be the Easter Bunny. The 1st year, the adult who was going to be the EB and would have been given a gift card, cancelled on me with short notice.
So the fact that not only did a 15 year old boy agree to put on a bunny costume, he did a very good job with the kids, and it was well worth the $25. Also, please keep in mind that for many years, my son and his friends would help at every event, and would do little things to help me prior to the events. So, no I didnt have a problem at all giving him a gift card.

I dont know what vindictive ways your talking about? Thats not the kind of person I try to be.

Ok, Im glad you got a chance to finally get all that off your chest, sounds like you been wanting to say that for a while, but its all irrelevant because not one single thing pertained to the issue of paying $25 a hour to post recipes on a website.

You know its wrong and you know you cant justify it
Joan

Hamilton, OH

#11 Apr 3, 2013
This city is nuts!
Resident

Hamilton, OH

#12 Apr 3, 2013
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>

Yes, for 2 yrs, my son was given a $25 gift card to be the Easter Bunny.
Was the Easter Bunny for the last 2 years paid? That would be a fair ways to judge things. If yes, then fine. If no, then Pay it back.
Madge

United States

#14 Apr 3, 2013
That seems fair.
ElmerFudd

Covington, KY

#16 Apr 3, 2013
Shoot the bunny and feed the hungry people of Cold Spring.
Lisa

Independence, KY

#17 Apr 3, 2013
ElmerFudd wrote:
Shoot the bunny and feed the hungry people of Cold Spring.
In your failed attempt at humor, that is a very disturbing & sick thing to say because you are referring to the kids from our community that previously and currently play the EB.

Dont forget what the REAL ISSUE is here!
Lisa

Independence, KY

#18 Apr 3, 2013
Joan wrote:
This city is nuts!
Joan, its not the city thats nuts. You know as well as I do this is wonderful community of good families, friends, & neighbors.
I feel very fortunate to live here, and proud to call Cold Spring home.
What is nuts, this that these discussions get off subject, and get petty and personal. Its the people that sit at home on their computer and say anything about anybody just to see what they can get started and then sit back and enjoy it at the other person expense, thats whats nutty and scary.

Look at the name of this discussion, and look what it has turned into. Nobody except myself has addressed the topic of this discussion: that the city is spending $25 per hour of taxpayers $$ to put recipes on a website. Recipes are fine and wonderful and if they want to post them on government website, thats not my decision, but not at the cost of $25 per hour to taxpayers.
Lisa

Independence, KY

#19 Apr 3, 2013
IceT wrote:
Who cares Lisa
Honestly I think everyone should care, no matter where you live. Its not about Cold Spring spending $$ to post recipes, its about people being more aware of their local government and how they are spending our $$ and to have a voice in the community.
When I was out campaigning I heard so many people say they didnt know who was on their city council, or they thought it doesn't do any good to say anything or get involved because it won't matter. But it really does matter. We cant change what they do in Washington, our voice doesn't matter anymore. Seems they are trying to take something from us everyday, and if We the People lose our voice and are not united in our local communities, we are going to be powerless. We the People, make up our communities and our communities are what makes up this country. And We the People, need to stand up and voice our opinion and ask questions of the things that affect our daily lives. Its time for a new generation to step up and get involved and keep our communities strong in the wonderful country we live in!
Madge

Newark, OH

#20 Apr 9, 2013
The sky is falling! Lets build a bubble over our city with the new money savings tactics.
Lisa

Independence, KY

#21 Apr 10, 2013
Madge wrote:
The sky is falling! Lets build a bubble over our city with the new money savings tactics.
The sky has been falling for quite awhile now and hasnt hit the ground yet, but when it does, no bubble over our city is going to protect us no matter how much we saved.
Bottom line is:$25 per hour being spent of taxpayers money to post recipes on a website is not a necessary government expense and I dont see how it can be justified? And apparently no one else can either, because nobody has.
Madge

Elyria, OH

#22 Apr 10, 2013
Citizens need to attend meeting to let their voice be heard. One person cannot speak for the city as a whole. Each resident should be involved in the budget if this is a problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is a tomato considered a fruit? 2 hr colquin4 3
Do people honestly believe they have lots of fr... 4 hr Jill 6
Best day of the week? 4 hr Banta 9
Best Food in Newport (Feb '09) 4 hr Blevins 107
Local CEO spends $56,000 on firewood 7 hr Jellico 16
Jonathan lowe murdered (May '12) 8 hr Cardinal 6
Katherine Bose 8 hr Hum 11

Highland Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Highland Heights News, Events & Info