San Bernardino man killed in Colton

San Bernardino man killed in Colton

There are 11 comments on the Home - San Bernardino County Sun story from Dec 31, 2010, titled San Bernardino man killed in Colton. In it, Home - San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

A 19-year-old San Bernardino man was shot and killed Thursday night in Colton. Lester Antonio Martinez-Becerra was shot twice in the upper torso.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Home - San Bernardino County Sun.

Truth

Upland, CA

#1 Dec 31, 2010
I expect to see much more of this if the clowns at city hall lay off a quarter of the Police force, as planned. The Police Sergeant in the article mentioned that Homicide Detectives responded to the homicide. If the lay-offs happen, I doubt that there will be a homicide detail any more to investigate the rising homicides in Colton. God help that city!
Best way

Santa Ana, CA

#2 Dec 31, 2010
Truth wrote:
I expect to see much more of this if the clowns at city hall lay off a quarter of the Police force, as planned. The Police Sergeant in the article mentioned that Homicide Detectives responded to the homicide. If the lay-offs happen, I doubt that there will be a homicide detail any more to investigate the rising homicides in Colton. God help that city!
And not having any lay offs is going to PREVENT this how? You can't put a police officer on every corner, watching to see if someone draws a gun. Shootings don't take place where there is a police offficer standing by. The homicide rate in Colton is up, not due to the number of officers on duty but because of the larger number of gang members in this city compared to other near by cities.
Truth

Upland, CA

#3 Dec 31, 2010
Best way wrote:
<quoted text>
And not having any lay offs is going to PREVENT this how? You can't put a police officer on every corner, watching to see if someone draws a gun. Shootings don't take place where there is a police officer standing by. The homicide rate in Colton is up, not due to the number of officers on duty but because of the larger number of gang members in this city compared to other near by cities.
Wow, are you really such a moron, or is this a joke? How much intelligence does it take to understand that a decrease in Police will result in an increase in crime? Why would Police sponsor youth outreach programs, patrol neighborhoods looking for, and deterring crime, and practice Community Orientated Policing if it didn't work? These are just a few aspects of law enforcement that will dwindle or be eliminated completely. I can use pictures and stick figures if it helps you understand this simple concept.
The Whole Truth

United States

#4 Jan 1, 2011
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, are you really such a moron, or is this a joke? How much intelligence does it take to understand that a decrease in Police will result in an increase in crime? Why would Police sponsor youth outreach programs, patrol neighborhoods looking for, and deterring crime, and practice Community Orientated Policing if it didn't work? These are just a few aspects of law enforcement that will dwindle or be eliminated completely. I can use pictures and stick figures if it helps you understand this simple concept.
I agree with Truth on this one. That is why we need to take a look at the fact that although Colton has one of the highest number of sworn officers per capita, it has BY FAR THE HIGHEST VIOLENT CRIME RATE PER CAPITA IN SB COUNTY. It is time to take a serious look at the lack of effectiveness of the Colton PD and take a look at possibly going with the Sheriff Dept. The Sheriff will not have the bloated command structure Colton PD currently has which will result in more boots on the street therefore reducing crime as Truth has stated. We need to look at all options, after all based on the fact that Colton has by far the highest crime rate we can't do any worse than we already are.
Truth

Upland, CA

#5 Jan 1, 2011
The Whole Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with Truth on this one. That is why we need to take a look at the fact that although Colton has one of the highest number of sworn officers per capita, it has BY FAR THE HIGHEST VIOLENT CRIME RATE PER CAPITA IN SB COUNTY. It is time to take a serious look at the lack of effectiveness of the Colton PD and take a look at possibly going with the Sheriff Dept. The Sheriff will not have the bloated command structure Colton PD currently has which will result in more boots on the street therefore reducing crime as Truth has stated. We need to look at all options, after all based on the fact that Colton has by far the highest crime rate we can't do any worse than we already are.
As long as Colton can afford this option... Most people don't realize that Colton will have to pay SBSO a lot of money to keep the same "full service", and to have an equal amount of deputies as Officers there are now. Rancho Cucamonga pays an arm and leg to have a "full service" Police Department. Colton can not afford the money it would cost to bring in SBSO anr maintain the same service. Comparisons to Highland and other small cities is foolish. Colton can't survive with only 2 deputies patroling, as is the case in Highland.
The REAL Truth

Dallas, TX

#6 Jan 3, 2011
Truth wrote:
Colton can't survive
If you were a spoiled little rich kid who always got his way and seldom if ever get told "no" and the city of Colton was suing you and the public safety unions didn't support the recall effort of those you felt responsible. Or you were a former Mayor and when you ran for re-election the public safety unions who supported your previous campaigns opted to support your opponent. Or you were a council member who asked the public safety unions for their endorsement for your r-election but they turned you down. You too would be exercising all of your influence to see to it that those union members lose their jobs-no matter what effect it will have on the residents. I think former council member Richard Delarosa answered it best when asked if he thought there were vendettas in Colton a few years back and he replied "Big Time".
Due process

San Bernardino, CA

#7 Jan 5, 2011
bingo
Zamora is a mans man

United States

#8 Jan 10, 2011
I think we need a recall.
No Nepotism

Dallas, TX

#9 Jan 10, 2011
where were the saviors of the city, the self-proclaimed watchdogs for government , when Zamora appointed his daughter to a commission post last week?
http://www.sbcounty.gov/rov/general_info/pdf/...
Zamora is a mans man

Byesville, OH

#10 Jan 17, 2011
That does not surprise me at all. It won't stop until we recall, Zamora, Toro, Bennutty.
Best way

Santa Ana, CA

#11 Jan 17, 2011
Zamora is a mans man wrote:
That does not surprise me at all. It won't stop until we recall, Zamora, Toro, Bennutty.
I don't know what this has to do with a 19 year old man being killed. All I can say about your comment is: Your canidates lost the election. Live with it, move on. You can holler 'recall' as often as you want. It isn't going to happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 49 min Chosen Traveler 35,369
Review: Andrew Jonathan Carnes 3 hr name games 3
Dating in San Bernardino (Mar '15) Sun Dude 14
News Off-duty deputy dies after being punched in roa... Sun Dude 3
Review: Metrolink Train Ride from San Bernardin... Sun TRAIN RIDE METROL... 20
Review: San Bernardino Metrolink Station (Jul '17) Sun SAN BERNARDINO ME... 5
Review: San Bernardino-Downtown Metrolink Station Sun SB DOWNTOWN METRO... 4

Highland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Mortgages