Judge overturns California's ban on s...

Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201865 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#160727 Sep 24, 2012
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose_NoHo.
Yes. As many times as I answer your questions, my answers either go over your head, or otherwise, you just ignore them. According to the instruction book:
...Buy-bull crap...
I wanted an answer to my questions, not fashion tips about what kind of fabrics not to wear.

Why are so many fundies, including you, racists? Don't you believe god created us all?

That last question is a simple yes or no question.
Jethro

Haslet, TX

#160728 Sep 24, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Fido, if I were a man, I wouldn't consider being told I have a 14 incher an insult.
Do you consider it an insult because your mom would tell you when you came home crying, "They just make fun of your tiny thing because they are jealous."?
Nice legs for a black tranny:)

Just kidding, they look like pygmy legs!!!

LMFAO
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

#160729 Sep 24, 2012
SpongeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dems you mention aren't running for the Presidency. Who in Congress releases their tax records?
Obama has already been elected; why should he be questioned NOW? BTW, do you think "W" graduated "honestly" from Yale and Harvard? The U.S. elected a "dry drunk" and we've paid for it dearly....
It was Reid that has been crying about it, maybe he should release them. Obama has been a failure the past 4 years, are you overlooking that? We still don't know his college records, what is he hiding?
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

#160730 Sep 24, 2012
Frank Rizzo wrote:
Rittardo,
Please read the seventh paragraph in the following article and assure me your candidate couldn't possible be that stupid....
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-ro...
Who vetted this idiot!?
who cares, I could play a pissing game about what biden and obama have said, should I play his 57 state comment, people say silly things when they are exhausted. What matters are actions, let's not forget what Obama has done to the middle east and this country the past 4 years. Whether you know it or not, the attacks on 9/11 in Libya and Egypt were carefully planned by the Islamists who were helped into power by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Soros’s money.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#160732 Sep 24, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Please give me a specific study with the study methods detailed that verify your claim.
The Regnerus is the most detailed, long term study to date.
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
And that study has severe flaws in it.......besides, giving you a study won't matter unless it's by someone you agree with.
Go search the topix threads......it was mentioned a few months back.
Remember that in order for a study to be understood, one must know the methodology that was used otherwise the percentages aren't real.
Here is an interesting article that shows that marriage is good for the health:
http://www.365reasons.com/health.htm
Here's one I'm certain you will like because of how it starts out:
http://www.apa.org/about/gr/issues/lgbt/marri...
Here's another one......maybe if these negative factors were eliminated.......but in my opinion.......marriage is good for all couples regardless of sexual orientation:
http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjec...
And one more for ya:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/public_hea...
I'm certain you will draw your own conclusions from them.......I don't expect you to appreciate them or agree with them.
How childish! You can't produce a specific study with methods, so you slander me with a lie?

Do you really think it is not obvious what you are doing?

Do you really think your cause is validated by the necessity to be dishonest?

You can't produce a honest study to validate your lies, so you disparage a good study and lie about my response.

All you do is prove my point. Your gay 'marriage' is bogus.

Bazinga!

Location hidden

#160735 Sep 24, 2012
SpongeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
O.k., name a few "deceptive and unscientific studies"
Bet you can't...
The adoption and foster care process often includes a home visit and evaluation of the parents' abilities to raise children well. Even in states with laws that prohibit discrimination, gay couples still may fail evaluations for inexplicable reasons.
Why would gay people be complaining if it weren't happening?
STUDY OF LESBIAN 'FAMILIES' with reviews

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content...

Alex I. Kartashov, biostatistician
Policy Analysis Inc., Brookline, MA
Dear colleagues,
I have read the article of Nanette Gartrell and Henny Bos "US National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study: Psychological Adjustment of 17-Year-Old Adolescents".
I am surprised with the lack of any attepmt of the authors to address the very important factors in the study.
As it can be easily seen from Table 1, the populations in comparison are very different in race composition, socio-economic status of participants, and region of the country. The population of chidren from the conventional sample (Achenbach Normative CBCL Sample) has many times more minorities and many more children from the South.
It was shown not once that the outcomes of the study are strongly dependent on the above mentioned factors, and exactly in the direction that the study reveals.
Only gender and group (NLLFS vs.Achenbach Normative CBCL Sample) were used as predictors. I can not understand wny the authors did not make proper adjustments for other factors. They do mention it as one of the limitations of the study. It would be very easy to match the study population with the appropriate control population. Other way to treat the problem would be to adjust for the factors of race, region and socio- economic status within the MANOVA analysis (although the sample size becomes critical in this case).
Also, I am surprised that the editorial board and reviewers did not pay attention to such an obvious deficiency of the study.
In my opinion, above mentioned creates a strong doubt in the conclusions of the study.
Respectfully, Alex I. Kartashov, Ph.D.

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/authored_new...

"Oxford, June 10, 2012 - Despite considerable research showing that children of same-sex parents fare just as well as children with heterosexual parents, two papers - a review of existing studies and a new study - published today in Elsevier’s Social Science Research, find insufficient data to draw any definitive conclusions.

Dr. Marks reviewed studies published between 1980 and 2005 cited by the 2005 official APA brief which asserted that:“Not a single study has found children of lesbian or gay parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents.”

“The jury is still out on whether being raised by same-sex parents disadvantages children”, explains Marks.“However, the available data on which the APA draws its conclusions, derived primarily from small convenience samples, are insufficient to support a strong generalized claim either way.”

Of the 59 studies referenced in the APA brief, more than three-quarters were based on small, non-representative, non-random samples that did not include any minority individuals or families; nearly half lacked a heterosexual comparison group; and few examined outcomes that extend beyond childhood such as intergenerational poverty, educational attainment, and criminality, which are a key focus of studies on children of divorce, remarriage, and cohabitation. In other words, "A lack of high quality data leaves the most significant questions unaddressed and unanswered," concludes Marks."

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#160739 Sep 24, 2012
KiMare wrote:
How childish! You can't produce a specific study with methods, so you slander me with a lie?
Do you really think it is not obvious what you are doing?
Do you really think your cause is validated by the necessity to be dishonest?
You can't produce a honest study to validate your lies, so you disparage a good study and lie about my response.
All you do is prove my point. Your gay 'marriage' is bogus.
Bazinga!
I gave ya at least 3 studies.....so, what's the problem with them?

No one is being dishonest here except for maybe you and some of those like you!!!

Again.....regardless of what you say, think or disagree with......my marriage is NOT bogus and is as legal today as it was 4 years ago:-)

“It's a bathroom”

Since: Jul 07

Get over it, already

#160740 Sep 24, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>Why do gays always chirp after crickets? How come all gays are racists and hate blacks and Jews?
And by all gays (gay Oscar), you're referring to yourself, of course? I don't hate blacks (ask my students) and my husband is Jewish.

Shot the hell out of your statement!!!!

Location hidden

#160741 Sep 24, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave ya at least 3 studies.....so, what's the problem with them?
No one is being dishonest here except for maybe you and some of those like you!!!
Again.....regardless of what you say, think or disagree with......my marriage is NOT bogus and is as legal today as it was 4 years ago:-)
You point blank lie.

You gave me three reviews/summaries. You gave me NO methodology.

There is a reason why the specifics are not provided. You remember Paul Harvey's 'The REST of the Story'?
SpongeBob

Fresh Meadows, NY

#160742 Sep 24, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>It was Reid that has been crying about it, maybe he should release them. Obama has been a failure the past 4 years, are you overlooking that? We still don't know his college records, what is he hiding?
What politician ever released his college records.
Can you name a few? Whose college records were you interested in before Obama?

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#160743 Sep 24, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You point blank lie.
You gave me three reviews/summaries. You gave me NO methodology.
There is a reason why the specifics are not provided. You remember Paul Harvey's 'The REST of the Story'?
I guess the articles you post all give methodology, right?

If ya don't like what was provide.....then do your own research.....the bottom line is that married people have healthier lives:-)

Location hidden

#160744 Sep 24, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the articles you post all give methodology, right?
If ya don't like what was provide.....then do your own research.....the bottom line is that married people have healthier lives:-)
I didn't ask for 'articles', I asked for studies. The Regenrus study provides it. Only one lesbian study that I just posted does so I have done my research.

The bottom line is gay unions are not the same as marriage. They don't/won't have the same results.
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

#160745 Sep 24, 2012
SpongeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
What politician ever released his college records.
Can you name a few? Whose college records were you interested in before Obama?
I just figured an open and honest man like the great obama would have nothing to hide? But I agree, we should be more concerned about his fast and furious dealings and why eric holder still has a job, his relations with vallerie jarrett, bill ayers, why he lied about Libya, why he along with carter and soros ushered in the muslim brotherhood. Why he has failed in economics. why he paid 70k for a pakistani ad saying we sorry for free speech. why he is the most divisive president in history. While our country is at a all time high national debt his wife goes on lavish shopping and vacations.
SpongeBob

Fresh Meadows, NY

#160746 Sep 24, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>It was Reid that has been crying about it, maybe he should release them. Obama has been a failure the past 4 years, are you overlooking that? We still don't know his college records, what is he hiding?
You probably are afraid to check it out, but here is a website that shows Obama's success story...Obama's top 50 Accomplishments

His biggest mistakes were trying to work with Republican obstructionists, who would rather work for themselves than for America.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/mar...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#160747 Sep 24, 2012
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, someone's living in denial....
Yeah, you.

Location hidden

#160748 Sep 24, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
One could argue that the right to own a gun is merely a substitution of equivalent words for the right to keep and bear arms. After all, The only way to keep the weapon is to own it. Otherwise, the gun shop is going to demand it back...
;)
Under the original intent of the Constitution the 2nd Amendment was only a restriction on the Federal Government. The States were free to restrict or even ban weapons if they so chose.

Location hidden

#160749 Sep 24, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a bit behind is reading all of these posts, so this may have already been said, but you just proved Rose's point...
"those children naturally follow the condition of their fathers, and succeed to all their rights."
Of course, the correct language now would be "...condition of their parents...", since mothers have the same rights as the fathers.
Too bad the court has never said that. But nice try.
Frank Rizzo

Los Angeles, CA

#160750 Sep 24, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>who cares-blah-blah-blah.
Perhaps your buddy Mitt should've spent his highschool years paying attention in science class rather than being an overprivileged douche. How much do you think his daddy paid for that diploma?

Face it: Your man is a moron.

Location hidden

#160753 Sep 24, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. The actual phrase comes from Thomas Jefferson, writing to reassure a Baptist church that the government was not going to interfere in their rituals and superstitions.n His exact phrase was "...a wall of separation between church and state...", so it looks like SCOTUS was merely enacting the will of the men who drafted that document rather belatedly.
For that matter, 1961 was most certainly NOT the first time that such separation was required by SCOTUS.
Liar? So there is "Separation of Church and State" in the Constitution?

Show me:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Yup, still not there..

And the letter, which people like you consistently take out of context, was Jefferson telling the Danbury Baptists that there wasn't a damn thing he could do about their grievances, as the Federal Government was PREVENTED from doing so under the 1st Amendment. There was no Constitutional separation of church and state, Congress simply wasn't allowed to pass a law establishing a national religion, the States were free to do whatever they pleased. And they did, until 1961, when the SCOTUS decided it knew better than the very men who drafted the document.

Do any of you actually study history anymore, or is everything you know from a text book?
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

#160755 Sep 24, 2012
SpongeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably are afraid to check it out, but here is a website that shows Obama's success story...Obama's top 50 Accomplishments
His biggest mistakes were trying to work with Republican obstructionists, who would rather work for themselves than for America.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/mar...
Hey Fool, how does the Koolaid taste? The stimulus was not a success, the iraq war ended the same time bush laid out for it to end. The healthcare law is now a tax. The banks are doing the same thing they were doing when barney frank, the famous gay screwed up the housing market. We are still sending troops to Afghanistan they still bleed under obama. GM will need another bailout soon, all that did was create jobs where most gm products are made in Mex and Canada. GM is not the most american made car. It was a huge mistake to get rid of Gaddafi. Now look at Libya and Egypt. Now what do we have? The Muslim Brotherhood? Another mistake. "Improved America’s Image Abroad" LOL.....are u kidding...lol....Accomplishmen ts?!?! I had to stop at the end of the first page, I was laughing so hard. It's unfortunate the author didn't actually dig into any of these "accomplishments". Topping the list is the 30% hike (according to the CBO) in our medical care thanks to federal bureaucrats now in between us and our doctors, at the point of a gun, and run by the IRS to the tune of $2.4 trillion dollars (projected by the CBO).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In fight against gangs, Ontario has outpaced Po... (Jun '09) 10 hr Mcdavid117_ 81
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 14 hr Trojan 32,289
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) Mon What a joke 4,832
News Fee eliminated for SB fix-it tickets (Jun '09) Jun 24 Lawbreaker 10
News '420 Fest' at Pharaoh's Theme and Water Park dr... (Apr '09) Jun 21 Speed Racer 714 200
News San Bernardino sues two water agencies over rec... Apr '16 Julie Jane 1
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) Jan '16 WHY 834
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Mortgages