Relocation to High Point

Relocation to High Point

Posted in the High Point Forum

LLW

Ann Arbor, MI

#1 Apr 26, 2006
Can anyone tell me about the quality of life in High Point and good neighborhoods...my husband is strongly considering a position there. He has visited the area but I have not due to my business obligations.
I see that a lot of homes are sitting empty and sell for below assessed value. Can anyone give me insight into the real estate and economic situation there?
DmS

Raleigh, NC

#2 Apr 29, 2006
I have been visiting this town for a few days in the hopes of relocating my family from Oakland, California to a place that is affordable and safe.
I, too, am perplexed by what I have seen and heard. There are some areas of High Point that look deserted. I saw a nice house but every other property on the block was either dilapidated or boarded up.
When I talk with the people I see on the street I am told about older people who have died or have been moved to care facilities and their families are unwilling or unable to sell the property.
Some realtors that I have talked with tell me that the properties are boarded up because they are vacant rental properties. This struck me as a rather bogus argument because the properties have been boarded up for years and it would be very difficult to show and rent a property that was inaccessible.
Another realtor told me that people have left because of the crack problem in the neighborhood. This might be true but I did not see any activity to suggest that.
Is anyone willing to share with me their insights?
cmm

Columbia, SC

#3 May 20, 2006
High Point has it good areas and its bad areas just like any town anywhere. The Davidson County part of High Point is booming. Property values are excellent. Best schools in the triad.
TCL

High Point, NC

#4 Feb 28, 2007
I moved from the metro Detroit area 8 years ago.I initially moved to High Point. It was convenient. Airport, 20 mins., Shopping mall, 10-15mins, Churches, every block, Grocery Stores, every other block. Then I had children. They changed everything. I had to relocate when school time came. HP is in Guilford County, they have awful schools. Davidson county is where you want to live. Be careful though, there are sections near HP that have Davidson County taxes as wells as Guilford County taxes. Dell Computers,Atrium Windows, Thomasbuilt Buses, Unilin are some of the larger employers in the area. Good Luck!
Curious

High Point, NC

#5 Apr 2, 2007
Hi. I have live here most of my life and love the area. I have spent some time in S. Carolina and Arizona. The property rates are not artificially inflated as they are in other areas of the country so it should not be a problem to find a nice home in a decent neighborhood. There are also outlying communities that are within a short driving distance. There is Kernersville, Colfax, Summerfield, Trinity, Thomasville. There are also may large corp here as another poster pointed out. I work for American Express and it is a really good place to be. Do research the schools - just like any place they vary depending on your needs and desires for your children. Welcome to the area and I hope you will like it here.
Angry Gurl

Apex, NC

#6 May 23, 2007
Don't bother. This place is run over by bullies that just happen to be Black. If you are a white woman, you cannot walk outside 10 minutes without some Black or Mexican asking if they can place their reproductive parts in you. They do not get it when you say you are not attracted to anyone at all or that you don't date outside your race. They don't get it if you say you are waiting for marriage.

Most of the people on my street are too lazy to work. They either pan-handle or steal.

If you happen to be a woman born with the wrong parts below, ie., a true-transsexual (not the perverts who dress as the opposite sex so they can keep/use their original parts), you will be constantly harassed, mostly by people of color, lied on, and accused of being a man. They don't understand that calling such a woman a man is just as offensive as using the N-word against a person of color. The police, the hospital, the elections board, and others ABUSE such women by going out of the way to refer to them as men, no matter how they behave, dress, and present themselves. I don't know why High Pointers care so much what a person has between their legs. They are perverts I guess. Such women, no matter how Conservative and Christians they are will not be able to find churches where they are allowed to join and be a part of.

So don't come unless you can bring a bunch of people with you, particularly members of a white militant group.
Tonya

Winston Salem, NC

#7 Jan 31, 2008
Don't come to this backward place. No jobs, no nothing but rich people and poor people. Rich people who get out of town every weekend and poor people who can't get out of town cause they ain't got no money. Lord if I could leave this forsaken ground I would. I know how hard it is to live in High Point. The people are rude, can't drive and hard to deal with. Most of them are half dead or waiting to die. Nothing but old people that go to bed at 7:00. I hope I win the lottary so I can get out of this hole.
Liksha

Northfield, OH

#8 May 17, 2010
I am wanting to relocate to High Point from Ohio. Can someone help me with finding out about jobs in medical billing and coding. I will be graduating in July 2010
Liksha

Northfield, OH

#9 May 17, 2010
Email me because I am a college student who is graduating in July2010. I have not much time to do anything but find a job. liksha78@gmail.com
Curious wrote:
Hi. I have live here most of my life and love the area. I have spent some time in S. Carolina and Arizona. The property rates are not artificially inflated as they are in other areas of the country so it should not be a problem to find a nice home in a decent neighborhood. There are also outlying communities that are within a short driving distance. There is Kernersville, Colfax, Summerfield, Trinity, Thomasville. There are also may large corp here as another poster pointed out. I work for American Express and it is a really good place to be. Do research the schools - just like any place they vary depending on your needs and desires for your children. Welcome to the area and I hope you will like it here.
kenhp1

High Point, NC

#10 Feb 22, 2012
I moved to High Point, NC from Scottsdale, AZ in 1998. I have regretted this move ever since. My Family lives in Greensboro, NC and I received an excellent job opportunity.
First, there is a beautiful downtown area. it has great potential. However, the only time it is used is during furniture market. When you do go downtown expect to see a lot of shady characters milling around. They beg for money, follow you, just don't go there alone. Go with a lot of people if you must.
There are two classes of people in High Point, NC. The rich and the poor. A very small middle class lives here.
I practically live on the High Point University campus. It is a safe place. However, they are growing and want to more or less steal your property for their growth. Very difficult situation. I am one of three homes that have not sold on a two block area. When you stick to a price they harass the hell out of you so that you are so miserable you want to leave.
I do implore anyone thinking of moving here to look at the crime statistics. Many offences in High Point has twice the national average as far as crime goes. Outrageous number of burglaries. Don't even think of moving here without a home alarm system.
I guess anyone reading this already knows how I rate this city. Very poor in many important areas. Nothing to do here. Therefore, you must travel.
If you must move, look at north High point. There seems to be more people that have transplanted from the north. Even they are more or less loners, unless you go to church, that will help. Hope you find this helpful, there is nothing I had rather do than to be proud and happy about where I live. There are friends I have made here that will be life long friends. The weather is great, the mountains are 1 hour away and the beach is 3-4 hours away, depending on what beach you vacation in. Good luck in your endeavors. Hope you are happy wherever it is you decide to move.
Christina

New York, NY

#11 Aug 20, 2012
Are you still there? My Husband has a job opportunity in Winston-Salem. We would be relocating from NY. Are there any areas near Winston you would recommend? We have 2 small children. Thanks!
kenhp1 wrote:
I moved to High Point, NC from Scottsdale, AZ in 1998. I have regretted this move ever since. My Family lives in Greensboro, NC and I received an excellent job opportunity.
First, there is a beautiful downtown area. it has great potential. However, the only time it is used is during furniture market. When you do go downtown expect to see a lot of shady characters milling around. They beg for money, follow you, just don't go there alone. Go with a lot of people if you must.
There are two classes of people in High Point, NC. The rich and the poor. A very small middle class lives here.
I practically live on the High Point University campus. It is a safe place. However, they are growing and want to more or less steal your property for their growth. Very difficult situation. I am one of three homes that have not sold on a two block area. When you stick to a price they harass the hell out of you so that you are so miserable you want to leave.
I do implore anyone thinking of moving here to look at the crime statistics. Many offences in High Point has twice the national average as far as crime goes. Outrageous number of burglaries. Don't even think of moving here without a home alarm system.
I guess anyone reading this already knows how I rate this city. Very poor in many important areas. Nothing to do here. Therefore, you must travel.
If you must move, look at north High point. There seems to be more people that have transplanted from the north. Even they are more or less loners, unless you go to church, that will help. Hope you find this helpful, there is nothing I had rather do than to be proud and happy about where I live. There are friends I have made here that will be life long friends. The weather is great, the mountains are 1 hour away and the beach is 3-4 hours away, depending on what beach you vacation in. Good luck in your endeavors. Hope you are happy wherever it is you decide to move.
Ghetto city stay away

High Point, NC

#13 Jan 2, 2014
Christina wrote:
Are you still there? My Husband has a job opportunity in Winston-Salem. We would be relocating from NY. Are there any areas near Winston you would recommend? We have 2 small children. Thanks!
<quoted text>
As bad as the race situation is here, it is much worse in Winston, and of Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point, Winston Salem is the most urban, crime-filled area.
Good Ole North State

United States

#14 Apr 16, 2016
I lived in High Point for approx. 12 year and found it very difficult as a minority to find decent employment and or get ahead; however I did eventually land a fairly decent salaried job - I have 2 degrees and ended up moving to another state for better opportunity.

I believe conditions have improved somewhat since I left in 2010; however quite a few of my professional friends both black and white have since relocated and or looking.

High Point is a prime example of what can happen to a city / economy when the is little diversification in industry... i.e. Detroit; just on a much smaller scale.

High Point University is the current saving grace for the city (meaning attracting young educated motivated individuals)- however most students leave post graduate... and that's a big problem.

The bi-annual furniture market isn't what it was 10 or 20 years ago... thanks to the Las Vegas rival market and E-commerce.

It'll be interesting to see how the city positions itself when the baby boomers die off over the next 20 years or so.

If you've done well elsewhere- and are looking for a decent inexpensive area to retire; low crime, good healthcare system, always a buyers market (homes) and money and or the annuity check in the bank every month.... this just might be the place for you.

Not a bad place overall; however if you're young and looking for above average compensation / opportunity - keep kicking the can down the road.
Not Happy
#15 Apr 21, 2016
I've lived here for nearly 18 years, and it has gotten worse with time. In the first few years, it was really bad in some ways and improved, but in others, it has gotten worse.

People used to correctly ignore cyclists and not do stupid stuff like back up for them, wait on them, or demand that they pass. I am not sure if it is true, but there seem to be a cyclist or two who is so tired of the condescension and people who are too stupid to block the sidewalk the whole time without backing up, and too stupid to let cyclists wait on them, that they have decided to start targeting places where this happens the most. I don't know that that means, if they mean smashing windows or what. But there are rumblings of cyclists angry. If you cannot stop your car and pull all the way up to wait to turn without changing ANYTHING for cyclists, then you deserve your windows busted out, your car keyed or whatever. What part of ignore cyclists, never help cyclists, never back up for them, never wait on them, etc., do the idiot drivers not understand? People have this sick notion that cyclists are weaker, stupid, or need help because they were raised wrong.

Forced help and unsolicited advice are an epidemic here too, and it is mostly African-Americans (other minorities too) and low-income Whites who do this. This usually comes from having a bad mother who didn't raise them to understand that strangers are not their business, nor teach them that forcing help on others is among the worst abuse there is. There are people who have a problem with STRANGERS doing things their own way. The only way to grow or become someone in life is to struggle alone without help. Those who force help on others are threatened by the possibility for greatness in others. So forced help is a way to "castrate" others and hold them back. It is much like sexual assault or bullying in that it is a way to feel better at the expense of another.

The forced help situation leads to one of the major blights in High Point, and that's substance abuse. I live near a number of halfway houses, drunken neighbors, homeless shelters, and recovery services. Such places don't reduce the number of derelicts, but increase them in the area, since they can come here to take advantage of the system.

People here are nosy in general. That comes from bad upbringing. Those who were raised properly can mind their own business and interact with just their friends, family, those they must, and their immediate neighbors.

Because of the nosiness, there are people who shout at random as they walk the streets, sing made up songs at the top of their lungs, and come up with other ways to create a wall or turn off strangers (since a lot of the strangers are too stupid to not interact with or otherwise bother strangers).

And there are the problems others mentioned like the university stealing people's land and there being no real middle class. I can confirm that. We once had a thriving mall. Now you have to go to Winston or Greensboro if you want to shop in a mall, thanks to Nido Qubein who harassed the mall out of business to buy their land. Like medical buildings in town, the university has expanded like a malignant tumor.
LGBT

Greensboro, NC

#16 Friday Feb 24
Angry Gurl wrote:
Don't bother. This place is run over by bullies that just happen to be Black......... They do not get it when you say you are not attracted to anyone at all or that you don't date outside your race........ So don't come unless you can bring a bunch of people with you, particularly members of a white militant group.
Hello RACIST. Please take your meds before offering a post. And if you don't like it here ... MOVE!
NORMAL

Thomasville, NC

#17 Saturday
LGBT wrote:
<quoted text>

Hello RACIST. Please take your meds before offering a post. And if you don't like it here ... MOVE!
Hello PERVERT. She's not racist. While every person is supposed to be platonic friends with all races, EVERY person is morally obligated to be with their own kind. It is okay for a White woman to have Black friends, but wrong for her to ever mate them. It is perfectly fine to have children as friends, but it is wrong to mate them. It is fine to love and respect animals, but that doesn't give you the right to sodomize your dog or finger your cat.

Unlike you, folks like me and the other poster are working hard to fix this place and make it safe for White women to walk the street and make it where they can be ignored by strangers. There is something wrong when White men have the ability to ignore stranger women of ANY race, while Black men chase after White women like they are the holy grail.

To be honest, ALL IR relationships are due to racism. Most Black men who date White women either feel entitled to White women (racist), hateful against their own women (racist), need to exploit a White woman to use as a status symbol (racist), or need to be with someone due to racist stereotypes like White women being weaker (racist idea) or more submissive (also a racist idea). And the White women who pervert themselves to chase Black men are also racists. They may think White men are weak (racist). They may do it to spite their racist parents (also racist). They may assume racist stereotypes such as Black men being "bigger," or that Black men are otherwise superior to White men (racist idea). It is very rarely done for love, but is another way to be political and exploit others.

This IS the BIBLE BELT. If you cannot act like a Conservative Christian and have traditional morals, then leave.

PS. LGBT stands for "Let's Go Burn Things."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) 28 min Baybeh 8,331
Poll Why are dr.'s office staff so rude? (Aug '09) 17 hr Letta Mego 30
How do you get rid of a freeloader?? (Mar '07) Feb 21 mellbell78 78
News High Point to name new basketball court for alu... Feb 17 Darrell Turner 1
pain doc in the area Feb 15 Big Hurt 2
Weird Interests (Jun '10) Feb 12 Weird Interests 72
Messer Consulting Services (Dec '15) Feb 9 Lied Against 3

High Point Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

High Point Mortgages