Letters on Homestead Heritage: Commun...

Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult?

There are 6889 comments on the Waco Tribune-Herald story from May 20, 2007, titled Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult?. In it, Waco Tribune-Herald reports that:

For seven years, we've shared fence lines with members of Homestead Heritage on three sides of our land.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Waco Tribune-Herald.

I lived to tell the truth

Jackson, NJ

#4865 Sep 29, 2012
Galatians 5

Today's New International Version (TNIV)

Freedom in Christ

5 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Jackson, NJ

#4869 Oct 9, 2012
Brother Joel and Blair wrote many doctrines when we arrived in Colorado.

They should have only looked to Holy Scripture alone for guidance.

Instead Blair spoke about many others that included Kant and even Hitler. In the 1980’s I was puzzled why Blair would base his Sunday teaching on Hitler.

He should have spoken only about Jesus Christ.

NO, there are no falsehoods here.

After you experience such horrendous events and you suffer much at the hands of these vile men you do not forget the details of the harm that was done unto you, or the occurrances that led to those events.

The answer is simple.
Jesus Christ is the only ONE you need to look to for your life.
HIS WORDS are life, and HE IS all you will ever need.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#4870 Oct 9, 2012
Baaah wrote:
HH won't debate with the riffraff. Not directly
although they do contend indirectly on their own website.
This is a thinly veiled refusal to engage with common folk over common perceptions.
We as exes know that many perceptions ARE false and unjustified. Yet our own are perfect in our own eyes.
To not engage us is to say basically that truth cannot be described in plain simple words which will strike the heart of the true believer as truth.
I don't believe in haggling. I do believe in public honesty and open policies. There is no mystery of Christ or Christ discipleship which cannot be stated as commonsensical and biblical.
State your case. Bring your best and brightest.
Be honest and upfront.
And I will take you on like Jacob took the Angel of the Lord. Who won? Truth wins out from God POV.
Some of your 'proof texts' for your 'Jesus in the flesh' doctrines leave much to be desired. This would also be obvious if you took on the least of us, the knotheads even who couldn't get to first base with you.
Why fight against 'the goads?' I fight against all
perversion of the Truth. HH is not all true. And it is not all false. Coming to terms is why Christ ever engaged his detractors and opponents in the first place. Did they all fall down every time he spoke? No, but the common sense propositions and commandments of our Lord has been recorded for all time. Not only this, but in the basic context of a
contentious form of Jewish debate. The Pharisees were not all Truth, and their
POV and world view were also not all false. Jesus
even said to submit to them and that the disciple's own righteousness must exceed theirs.
Let the chips fall where they may. The perennial visitor who could not make membership has issued a
basic, visceral challenge. Come out and make yourself known, ye apostles and prophets. Ye can't run and ye can't hide. Who said that? I think it was one of the good guys.
The more you fill your heart, soul, and mind with the love of God the less room there is for sour grapes in the garden of your life.

Location hidden

#4871 Oct 9, 2012
I lived to tell the truth wrote:
Brother Joel and Blair wrote many doctrines when we arrived in Colorado.
They should have only looked to Holy Scripture alone for guidance.
Instead Blair spoke about many others that included Kant and even Hitler. In the 1980’s I was puzzled why Blair would base his Sunday teaching on Hitler.
He should have spoken only about Jesus Christ.
NO, there are no falsehoods here.
After you experience such horrendous events and you suffer much at the hands of these vile men you do not forget the details of the harm that was done unto you, or the occurrances that led to those events.
The answer is simple.
Jesus Christ is the only ONE you need to look to for your life.
HIS WORDS are life, and HE IS all you will ever need.
I pray the love of God gives you the strength to forgive all who have hurt you in the past, either deliberately or by accident.

Location hidden

#4873 Oct 9, 2012
Baaah wrote:
I had group leaders over me in authority.
The main one is gone. HIS elder is gone.
Proper channels of authority. Who was above Joel?
I never knew. I assume Blair, but other than that, I don't know.
But for all practical purposes, my 'proper channels of authority' are gone the same way I went. Into the void of non-covenant. For them this is truly a void
where man has stepped into the realm of demons and principalities. You too, Malachi.
How could their system here, that which was kept secret from this visitor even be valid or true?
Do they really have a right to not only affirm this Shepherding system internally....
but to keep it secret from anyone and everyone who potentially would disagree? Is this right?
I believe in freedom of religion. But this secrecy part I have a quarrel with. No sucker is gonna get
suckered like me, not while I'm breathing. Sour grapes or no.
You are not the first to say it and not the last.
That I am being sour grapes.
If that was only what this is all about then I can take the hit. But they go on like they can go on and keep their business as usual to themselves.
This is a public forum and there is no reason to keep God-principle or Christ-principle SECRET from
the true seekers. Selah and amen.
It is written...Come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord." (2 Corinthians 6:17)

Jackson, NJ

#4874 Oct 10, 2012
The HH elders still believe they are in the place of Jesus Christ.

As long as the HH elder’s stay in their delusional state, the brethren in HH are in danger.

What the HH elder's has done in the past to innocent souls can occur again.

We have already experienced that with the suicides, the child abuse, the deaths and the permanent damages that occurred without medical intervention, as well as the sister’s who bled out after childbirth who were on their own except for their husbands to get them to an emergency room-while being instructed by the HH leaders not to mention Homestead Heritage at all regarding their present critical state to medical professionals.

It has everything to do with shining the Light so another tragedy does not occur in HH.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#4875 Oct 10, 2012
Baaah.

Are you just spreading unsubstantiated gossip or can you back up your claims? It really is wrong put someone's full name on the internet (Joel) without permission to do so. You should be just as willing to name the full name of your SOURCE of information regarding JS, otherwise you are not acting in a consistent manner. If it is OK to put JS's name on the internet, then it should be just as fine to NAME YOUR SOURCE.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#4876 Oct 10, 2012
So, I am waiting with bated breath for you to act consistently and give the name of the source of this information.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#4877 Oct 10, 2012
Still waiting for you to name that source you referenced.

Location hidden

#4883 Oct 10, 2012
Baaah wrote:
<quoted text>
I know not what thee meaneth. Son, please expound. Pleeth.
There is a great deal of danger in communicating with skeptics; danger of being defiled and of being rejected; therefore the exhortation is to come out from among them, and keep at a due distance, to be separate.

It is written…Pursue peace with everyone, and holiness, for without it no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God, that no one be like a bitter root springing up and causing trouble, and through him many become defiled. Hebrews 12:14-15
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#4884 Oct 10, 2012
Baaah, "I don't even know for sure if it is true."

Yet you put a man's full name on this forum, without permission,

in the context of information that

you yourself admit that you "don't even know for sure if it is true"

and you see no problem with your behavior?

You see no problem with singling out a man, unbidden, in public,

by posting information that even you (who posted said information) cannot verify?

You posted information, in public, about another human that you cannot verify?

And included his full name in your unverified story?

But, there is nothing wrong with that according to you?

Wow.
Mountainrose

Waco, TX

#4889 Oct 10, 2012
I look at this every few weeks to see if the same babblers are on, and there they are, spouting stuff that does not even make sense. If they are such good Christians, they should be out saving souls, not babbling on this forum. They just don't get it!!!

Jackson, NJ

#4890 Oct 11, 2012
Brother Joel and Brother Blair were full time authors when we arrived in Colorado. It was during that time that many of the doctrines that HH lives under were written.

Location hidden

#4900 Oct 12, 2012
Many churches establish guidelines or patterns. You ever see how a Nun dresses?
According to the United Pentecostal church the basic reason for modesty of dress is to subdue the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life. The exposed body tends to arouse improper thoughts in both wearer and onlooker
To avoid such problems, United Pentecostal churches set these modesty guidelines for women:
•No slacks "because they immodestly reveal the feminine contours of upper leg, thigh, and hip."
•No makeup.
•No jewelry except wedding ring and wristwatch.
•No low necklines.
•No sleeveless dresses or shirts.
•No very tight or very thin clothes.
•No dress hemlines at or above the knee.
•No sleeves above the elbow.
•Uncut hair.

Location hidden

#4901 Oct 12, 2012
A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.(Deuteronomy 22:5)
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.(1 Timothy 2:9-10)
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.(1 Peter 3:2-5)

Jackson, NJ

#4902 Oct 12, 2012
GALATIANS 6:
12 Those who want to impress others by means of the flesh are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 Not even those who are circumcised keep the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your circumcision in the flesh. 14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which[b] the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation.

You are missing the whole point.

HH bases their very salvation on their rules.

14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Janice Alvear

Mendenhall, MS

#4904 Oct 13, 2012
We can do the right thing in the wrong way and bring a curse upon us...I sincerely believe that HH started off with very good intentions...however the love of power...seems to have got them off course. Power causes people to become blind, ruthless and cruel.
I have been a Pentecostal all my life but never will I say God is only in my little box...He is much bigger than HH...much bigger than the church I belong to. No one has all of God's truths...We see through a glass darkly...I learnt a lot from HH...I especially learned how I do not want to be...but there were good things I learned too...and there are many good people there..I pray for them everyday.
I have heard that the leaders called me rebellious but that is okay too....everyone has a right to their opinions...

Jackson, NJ

#4905 Oct 13, 2012
When I first came to God I remember a wedding in HH. One HH member went up to an unbeliever and exclaimed how she once looked like the unbeliever; with all that make up; how she too once looked like a prostitute until God delivered her, etc. Then she stated how glad she was that God delivered her from going to hell….

I know that unbeliever and to this day she has not given her life to Jesus Christ. She still remembers her experience at that wedding and she tells everyone how awful that experience was.

For decades that girl has had a stumbling block in her way from coming to know Jesus Christ through that experience.

I admire anyone who lives by their God given convictions, but I also learned to stop judging people when I left HH.

I witnessed a good friend be delivered from a terrible addiction through the laying on of hands by a woman whose hair is much shorter than mine. HH had taught me to condemn that woman of God, and yet the Holy Spirit moves powerfully through that woman in ways that I never experienced while I was in HH.

HH would beg to ask, how can this be?!

Jackson, NJ

#4906 Oct 13, 2012
ROMANS 14:
14 Accept those whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat everything, but another person, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted that person. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master they stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5 Some consider one day more sacred than another; others consider every day alike. Everyone should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Those who regard one day as special do so to the Lord. Those who eat meat do so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and those who abstain do so to the Lord and give thanks to God. 7 For we do not live to ourselves alone and we do not die to ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat your brother or sister with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.’”[a]

12 So then, we will all give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother or sister for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed are those who do not condemn themselves by what they approve. 23 But those who have doubts are condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Jackson, NJ

#4907 Oct 13, 2012
I should clarify that I did experience a healing that occurred to a family member while I was in HH.

I did not see anyone healed in a Sunday meeting as I experienced with my friend’s healing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Racist Black Drivers are an Epidemic in the Pie... Sat Rachael 3
Poll Why can't Black men in High Point date only the... (Sep '11) Sat Jennifer 20
High Point women in need of sexual assaut (Apr '11) Sat Jennifer 5
Pastor Ronald Diggs (Feb '10) Fri Servent 48
David Roach Jul 21 Country 1
Earning the right to not face racism Jul 16 End Racism 4
Stranger Harassment Jul 11 Enough 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

High Point Mortgages