Wilson

Prudenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2006

Is there anything that lists the history of St Helen. I remember reading 'somewhere' that John Carter 'saved' St. Helen by paying back taxes. Otherwise, it would have become forest. Does anyone have details?
gemma anne loney

Launceston, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2007

when was the bayside inn built
david carlson

Michigan City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2007

ceder inn still there.
mike

Wyandotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2007

yes the ceder inn is still there
david carlson

Michigan City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2007

jim carlson still living from carlson fence co.in st helen.
corrina

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2007

hey corrina lives there and her myspace is http://www.myspace.com/fuck_you_its_girrr_tim... go check it out. i love everyone.
Dugger

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

Judged:

hi all- my grandpa and grandma lived in st. helen on the corner of omer drive from 1961 to late 80's.
their names were wayne "red" and mabel lucas.
we used to visit a deer reserve north of town that had hundreds of deer that were being rehabilitaded. anyone know if that is still there? did anyone know my grandpa and grandma?
a couple of their friends were the steketys and the kellers. i remember the bluegill festival from the late 60's and 70's. fun times- and playing at the sand pit behind the giftshop.
please write and let me know-@ macdadd3@aol.com
thanks- doug lovitt
Dave

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2007

Wilson wrote:
Is there anything that lists the history of St Helen. I remember reading 'somewhere' that John Carter 'saved' St. Helen by paying back taxes. Otherwise, it would have become forest. Does anyone have details?
Go the the St. Helen library and pick up yhe booklet "The History of Richfield Township". I believe it was written in the 70's and you'll find out the history of the Carter's the Heston's, etc. Charleton Heston's Mom was a Heston and he was a Carter, which is how his screen name derived. Spent time in his childhood at his Aunt's house on the corner of Pleasant and Lake St. Check it out: it's a small book and only a few hours of reading.
Krystal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone remember a Police Officer that went by Primo? If so what was his first name?
Pam Scott

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2008

Krystal wrote:
Does anyone remember a Police Officer that went by Primo? If so what was his first name?
Police Officer was Jim Primeau.
Pam Scott

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2008

Judged:

Dugger wrote:
hi all- my grandpa and grandma lived in st. helen on the corner of omer drive from 1961 to late 80's.
their names were wayne "red" and mabel lucas.
we used to visit a deer reserve north of town that had hundreds of deer that were being rehabilitaded. anyone know if that is still there? did anyone know my grandpa and grandma?
a couple of their friends were the steketys and the kellers. i remember the bluegill festival from the late 60's and 70's. fun times- and playing at the sand pit behind the giftshop.
please write and let me know-@ macdadd3@aol.com
thanks- doug lovitt
Hi Doug,
The Game Refuge is still out there on the road to clear lake. I dont know your grandparents, but I knew the Kellers. The gift shop is now a real estate office. The Bluegill Festival website is www.bluegillfestival.org .
jamie daly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Does anybody have pictures of steckling cement company
mike wooster

Manistee, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Judged:

st.helen is not the same. it has changes alot . the bluegill is closed.
Downstate transplant

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

Judged:

St. Helen and it's local snowmobile club are horrible places! The people who run the town seem to be dishonest bullies. I recommend you drive right through the town and keep going if you know what's good for you!
Jim

Midland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

Downstate transplant wrote:
St. Helen and it's local snowmobile club are horrible places! The people who run the town seem to be dishonest bullies. I recommend you drive right through the town and keep going if you know what's good for you!
What is your basis for such comments, please? I have been going to St. Helen (and now own property there) since mid-1970's and have always found it to be a pleasant & enjoyable area! Your rebuttal, please?
Karyn Flynn

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

My parents owned a cottage in St. Helen for most of the 1950's, but I don't remember the street. It was a short walk to the lake, in pictures of the house the number is 9611. I seem to remember that there was a large closed hotel up the hill from us and somebody famous had a place across the sandy road (no pavement then)- I want to say the Lone Ranger, Clayton Moore - don't know for sure. Can anybody identify the area or street or is there a phone book from 1955 out there? My father's name was - Donald Flynn. Some of my greatest memories are from the cottage& St. Helen
ron

Sterling, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know why your so angry with the whole town. St. Helen has so many things to offer. I am a business owner in this town and I am proud of the way that our town pulls together and tries to offer so many things for people of all ages. We offer various recreational activities and events. We are a very proud community and I am sorry things here did not work out for you.

Since: Oct 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Rebuttal: Do you live there or just come for vacations? If you lived in St. Helen, you would soon realize that the people in the town just can't seem to get along with each other and somebody is always stabbing somebody else in the back. It's kind of like the Hatfields and McCoys and you aren't allowed to stay "on the fence". You get labeled as either a Hatfield or McCoy (like it or not) and then the other faction dislikes you if only because they think you're "with" the other group. Just a bunch of stupidity, lying and rumor-spreading that disrupts most town meetings and hurts good people unnecessarily leaving a permanent bad taste in my mouth whenever we have to pass through the town.
mee

Southgate, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

MI Flatlander wrote:
Rebuttal: Do you live there or just come for vacations? If you lived in St. Helen, you would soon realize that the people in the town just can't seem to get along with each other and somebody is always stabbing somebody else in the back. It's kind of like the Hatfields and McCoys and you aren't allowed to stay "on the fence". You get labeled as either a Hatfield or McCoy (like it or not) and then the other faction dislikes you if only because they think you're "with" the other group. Just a bunch of stupidity, lying and rumor-spreading that disrupts most town meetings and hurts good people unnecessarily leaving a permanent bad taste in my mouth whenever we have to pass through the town.
well i suggest you stay in ohio then
LMP

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

Not true. Blue Gill was going strong last I heard.
mike wooster wrote:
st.helen is not the same. it has changes alot . the bluegill is closed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Higgins Lake Discussions

Search the Higgins Lake Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Markey Tire And Auto 11 hr Bob 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 22 hr gottondas 5,482
The puppet musical for adults only (Aug '12) Jul 15 Medfer 5
Swimmer's itch (Jun '07) Jul 14 hgh 45
Review: Sharps Corner Jul 8 Carol 1
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Beneficial rain has helped but many still drier... Jun 26 dragonfly 1
•••
•••
•••
Higgins Lake Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Higgins Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••