Protecting our city ... There ought t...

Protecting our city ... There ought to be a law

There are 7 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Dec 7, 2012, titled Protecting our city ... There ought to be a law. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

Poor Melvin Cooke of Calistoga, abused and targeted by City Hall ... if one buys into his logic.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

Jeannine

Vallejo, CA

#1 Dec 7, 2012
Mr. Cooke is the least of Vallejo's problems. As a matter of fact or opinion, if his holding on to his barren piece of land only serves to prevent another apartment complex (you know the type - starts out looking nice but eventually are sold to an interest that lets them all go section 8) then I tip my hat to him.
holy moses

Vallejo, CA

#2 Dec 7, 2012
i hope he gives it to a church.
GEE

San Leandro, CA

#3 Dec 7, 2012
I agree Jeannine.
It is my understanding that the property Mr. Cooke owns had been fenced before, but he allowed the developer and the City of Vallejo to take it down while the Target Center and streets were constructed. It appears he gave up some of his land in exchange for an agreed upon new fence put up by the CoV after completion of the center and Turner Parkway. This has been going on since the 80's and Vallejo never held up their end of the agreement until recently.

Before the actual contract became public info, I have to admit that I have been rather angry with Mr. Cooke for not selling, keeping up and allowing development of his parcel.

How the neighborhood was able to deal with the unauthorized uses of the land and the subsequent loss of quality of life issues created by it, is admirable.
Yet Code Enforcement looked the other way for years. The property was a dumping ground for cars and house hold refuse of every imaginable kind. Now the CoV is finding a backbone and is fining this man because we finally put up a minuscule three wire fence that can be snipped and kicked down by a welterweight?

Possibilities would be endless to use this large parcel for top notch retail/hospitality/medical office type facilities that Vallejo is lacking. What better location for a real shopping center that can be connected with all retail stores already in the vicinity. We missed the boat on having a real Auto Row, not one that is hidden somewhere in the hinterland!
Widen the street as should have been done from day one and/or allow expansion of I-80 and the off ramp leading onto 37.

I am not surprised at the present vandalism of the fence and the property; it was allowed to continue unabated for years, basically a paradise for many that never were taught that other people’s property has to be respected if they do not have authorization to use it from the owner.

We even have Codes for that but they are not enforced!
Vallejo, CA Code of Ordinances
Title 7-Public Health, Safety and Welfare
Chapter 7.90 - Motor Vehicles Operated on Public and Private Property
7.90.020 - Operation prohibited….. and
7.94.030 - Written permission required for operation on unimproved private property and for operation or parking on unimproved public property.

So my request would be for Mr. Cooke to either turn over the property to an entity of his choosing (a Seminary) or a commercial developer that will build anything BUT housing!
SEEN IT

San Jose, CA

#4 Dec 9, 2012
Richard: He can do any damn thing he wants to with his land here in America. Go back to where they allow seizure of privately owned land you moron. You must be a Demokrap who believes everyone MUST do with their assets what serves the people. You are a danger to America.
SEEN IT

San Jose, CA

#5 Dec 9, 2012
holy moses wrote:
i hope he gives it to a church.
Yeah, ANOTHER church in Vallejo which pays NO TAXES. Youre an idiot.
GEE

San Leandro, CA

#6 Dec 9, 2012
You seem to have forgotten that Mr. Cooke has considered and stated (I have heard that for some time now) he may turn over the property to become a Lutheran Seminary.

Since you object to ANOTHER church (actually this would be a center for learning, not just a church) I have to respectfully disagree with your comment to "holy moses" and his mental status.

I agree with you that the gentleman can do with his property whatever he wants to.

Leave it as is, which will give me a platform to give suggestions of plenty and or complain about for not doing anything and it will remain a serious nuisance to the neighborhood. I have a list of possibilities as long as my arm which means nothing since it is not my property!

…or sell it for development to the highest bidder, can you say low income housing, yeah, or turn it over to a Seminary which seems to be high on his list of choices. Which in your opinion would be best?

Fining Mr. Cooke now for the vandalism squatters, dumpers and off-roaders are creating, surprise???, even after the City of Vallejo surrounded the parcel with a flimsy fence, is in my opinion inappropriate.

This city has allowed and fostered the actions that happened on the property without doing what they contractually were supposed to do, mainly build a substantial fence around the property years ago that would keep trespassers out of it, until Mr. Cooke has decided what to do with HIS property.
Really

Benicia, CA

#7 Dec 9, 2012
I agree. Mr. Cooke has cost this city hundreds of thousands for public safety, public works, code enforcement, for "maintaining" his property over 35 years. He owes the city money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hidden Valley Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Konocti Computers Of Lake County, CA - ... (Mar '14) Jul 26 Rojan V 20
woman for text buddy Jul 21 michael 1
Is Clearlake really that "ghetto?" (Oct '07) Jul 19 mischeviousgirl 36
Debate: Marijuana - Clearlake, CA (Aug '10) Jul 17 sara 21
News In support of Sheriff Mitchell (Jul '10) Jul 15 Provocateur 131
News AIDS program offers free screenings Jun '15 frances ford 1
News Woman dies in driveway (Jul '11) Jun '15 ucumberbob 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hidden Valley Lake Mortgages