Former deputy arrested on suspicion o...

Former deputy arrested on suspicion of second DUI

There are 74 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Aug 6, 2010, titled Former deputy arrested on suspicion of second DUI. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

Former Lake County Sheriff Deputy Bryan Troy Smith, 33, of Hidden Valley Lake was arrested Thursday for his second driving under the influence offense in the past two months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
get real

Waterloo, IA

#65 Aug 9, 2010
Gopher wrote:
I am just curious. When did it become an employer's responsibility to offer substance abuse counseling? And how does anyone know that the SO did not offer such counseling to Mr. Smith?
Should be standard to offer treatment to LEO who are having problems with subtance abuse. Due to the nature of their job, which as we all know can be extremely stressful. The County should definately offer that option (treatment) to Law Enforcement. Come on now....silly questions.
wheres Skelly

Alameda, CA

#66 Aug 9, 2010
get real wrote:
<quoted text>Should be standard to offer treatment to LEO who are having problems with subtance abuse. Due to the nature of their job, which as we all know can be extremely stressful. The County should definately offer that option (treatment) to Law Enforcement. Come on now....silly questions.
I second it. Just plain and stupid Gopher.
Need More

Lucerne, CA

#67 Aug 9, 2010
Just maybe the consequence for his accident was a termination in the works. Like Gopher stated, who knows IF counseling wasn't offered and if an employer has the responsibility to offer subtance abuse counseling or any other form of counseling if the end result is going to be a termination.
hot dog

San Leandro, CA

#68 Aug 9, 2010
Stress in law enforcement is caused by the Administration and not by the criminal or victims. A good Supervisor knows his/her employees and watches for changes in the employees behavior. Mitchell only watches out for himself and his butt kissers. If Mr. Smith had problems with drugs or booze, where was his supervisor at and why are we paying them?
Options

Waterloo, IA

#69 Aug 9, 2010
hot dog wrote:
Stress in law enforcement is caused by the Administration and not by the criminal or victims. A good Supervisor knows his/her employees and watches for changes in the employees behavior. Mitchell only watches out for himself and his butt kissers. If Mr. Smith had problems with drugs or booze, where was his supervisor at and why are we paying them?
Agree that Smith's supervisor should have recognized the fact that this guy was in need of professional help. Maybe he was trying to get rid of him, and didn't offer that option? Here we go again....probably another law suit coming down the pike. Need that like a hole in the head.
Options

Waterloo, IA

#70 Aug 9, 2010
h o l e..... is a censored word? Jeeezuz.
pot head

United States

#72 Aug 9, 2010
Provocateur wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what Rodney told you Mr Larson?
Pat is the spokesman for Mitchell.
hot dog

Hayward, CA

#73 Aug 9, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I looked up drunk driving schools in the manifesto and they recommended the Bruce Forsythe School for Enebriated Drivers. They gave it three shots up.
Son!! please listen to me!! Bruce made a mistake, just like you and I can. Sheriff Mitchell has shown no leadership, he failed to give direction to his department. Mitchell needs to be held accountable for his failures. Mr. Smith was a member of that department, Supervisors got paid to supervise him, they failed.(remember the DUI on-duty in a patrol car) I can't remember any other department in North Calif. that this was allowed to happen in.
huh

Ukiah, CA

#75 Aug 9, 2010
hot dog wrote:
<quoted text>
Son!! please listen to me!! Bruce made a mistake, just like you and I can. Sheriff Mitchell has shown no leadership, he failed to give direction to his department. Mitchell needs to be held accountable for his failures. Mr. Smith was a member of that department, Supervisors got paid to supervise him, they failed.(remember the DUI on-duty in a patrol car) I can't remember any other department in North Calif. that this was allowed to happen in.
I guess Bruce Forsythe was not that good of a teacher, then. How come it's a mistake when the teacher gets one, but it is this horrible crime when one of his students gets one. Sounds like the typical Forsythe double standard to me.
common belief

Pleasanton, CA

#76 Aug 9, 2010
It's alway some low life dirt bag that until it's you or your relative or a friend. Then you find out you are really not so high and mighty after all. Well, maybe high.
pot head

United States

#77 Aug 9, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess Bruce Forsythe was not that good of a teacher, then. How come it's a mistake when the teacher gets one, but it is this horrible crime when one of his students gets one. Sounds like the typical Forsythe double standard to me.
Why did you bring Bruce up in this topic? Pat. It's easy to figure out your motive.
hot dog

United States

#78 Aug 9, 2010
Let's talk about the former Correctional officer/dispatchers that was arrested a few years ago for DUI. His name was never in the media, Mitchell and his group covered that up. Now he has a medical retirement coming in every month.

“Used to be"Just Wondering"”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#79 Aug 9, 2010
"suspicion of DUI", is almost a funny term, very PC! Let's see you get stopped, the officer notices you MIGHT be impared and does a field sobriety test. You fail for whatever reason, now you get to submit a breath, blood or Urine sample, it either comes back positive for .05-.08 or more BAC or some drug. Not sure they can force a blood test so you could probably skate by taking a breath test, but refuse to take a test and bye bye license.

It just seems likley that this guy was either thrown out of the bus or under it.

Just hope he can put his life back together and move on, obviously police work is too stressful and he needs to find a new line of work.
Mountain Breeze

Monterey Park, CA

#80 Aug 9, 2010
un-Americian wrote:
"suspicion of DUI", is almost a funny term, very PC! Let's see you get stopped, the officer notices you MIGHT be impared and does a field sobriety test. You fail for whatever reason, now you get to submit a breath, blood or Urine sample, it either comes back positive for .05-.08 or more BAC or some drug. Not sure they can force a blood test so you could probably skate by taking a breath test, but refuse to take a test and bye bye license.
It just seems likley that this guy was either thrown out of the bus or under it.
Just hope he can put his life back together and move on, obviously police work is too stressful and he needs to find a new line of work.
If a driver comes back .00 (or very low) on the breathalyzer AND/OR the officer suspects drugs, then you will be required to submit to a blood or urine test and if you refuse, you will loose your driving privlidge. He or she will admonish you that they suspect that you are under the influence of drugs and that a breath test does not detect the presence of drugs and they are required to take a blood or urine test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hidden Valley Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman dies in driveway (Jul '11) Jun 11 Debbabb 4
News Lots of pot found at Brown's (Jul '08) May '16 rob black 841
Clearlake.....is it a nice place to live (May '06) May '16 vjsacramento 121
Review: Konocti Computers Of Lake County, CA - ... (Mar '14) Apr '16 Josh 24
Is Clearlake really that "ghetto?" (Oct '07) Apr '16 Provocateur 41
Are you a Towel head or spook lover? Apr '16 _Drifter 6
What's it like living in Hidden Valley Lake? (Feb '13) Feb '16 Bellington 51

Hidden Valley Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance