Former deputy arrested on suspicion of second DUI

Former Lake County Sheriff Deputy Bryan Troy Smith, 33, of Hidden Valley Lake was arrested Thursday for his second driving under the influence offense in the past two months. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Todd

Clearlake, CA

#2 Aug 7, 2010
Not good! When was Smith "no longer employed" by the sheriff's dept. exzactly, Friday at 3:00 am? Smith needs to stay home when he uses his drugs and/or alchohol. Now he's looking at county jail time, better take home detention if available.
Seek help

Fort Dodge, IA

#3 Aug 7, 2010
What is protocol for LEO's and being charged with DUI's? This guy needs serious help. He blew it.....again.
jokers wild

Schaumburg, IL

#5 Aug 7, 2010
on patrol in the lake county hills
thought i'd pop a couple pills
drugs and liquor in my trunk,
drivin' round a little drunk
vision now is not too clear
red light flashing in my mirror
i have a badge, they won't arrest
uh oh, looks like a field test
perdock, garzoli, now this clown
mitchell's cred sinks further down
i end this message with a note
hope this drunk don't own a boat
you give these guys guns eh?
Vote Green

Lakeport, CA

#6 Aug 7, 2010
Mitchell is a failure, and is the reason we have had to fire A Captain, a Lt, Sgts and numerous line Deputies.

This guy Mitchell does not get how to hire good people. This is a flaw, and is what it is, incompetence.

Time to vote Mitchell out and someone else in.

How do you defend inept behavior, wave a flag, call you detractors godless.

Yep that is a typical Republican with George Bush play-book.

Wave the flag while you hire poor slobs better off in anything but law enforcement.
mitchell

Grand Prairie, TX

#7 Aug 7, 2010
what does mitchell have to do with this clown?the guy is an adult im sure rod wasn't there drinking and doping with him and then forcing him to hop in the car and go for a spin...
Mountain Breeze

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Aug 7, 2010
He should have never submitted to any field sobriety tests if that was part of the officers "investigation". Not impossible, but very difficult to prove a case in court in front of 12 jurors when all the DA has is a blood test that says there is a doctor prescribed medication in his system. Speed alone proves nothing.........they write speeding tickets to people every day.
Marzocco

Livermore, CA

#10 Aug 7, 2010
Mountain Breeze wrote:
He should have never submitted to any field sobriety tests if that was part of the officers "investigation". Not impossible, but very difficult to prove a case in court in front of 12 jurors when all the DA has is a blood test that says there is a doctor prescribed medication in his system. Speed alone proves nothing.........they write speeding tickets to people every day.
If he refused to take an FST after he crashed his unit while on duty and I was his supervisor I would have requested for his termination. As a driver he is entitled to refuse an FST but his position as an on-duty deputy override those rights.
We do not know the results of the internal affair investigation. We also do not know if that deputy had other black marks in his personnel file.
Speed alone does not prove anything but if you add the blood test, booking photo with bloodshot eyes and vacant stare and photos of a destroyed police car it creates a very strong case.
Consider Peace

San Francisco, CA

#11 Aug 7, 2010
Please get this guy some help and off our roads before he kills someone!
Consider Peace

San Francisco, CA

#12 Aug 7, 2010
Thanks to the California Highway Patrol for keeping us safe and performing your duties with honor and integrity! I often read stories about Highway Patrol Officers having to arrest a sheriff or judge which must be very difficult for them to do sometimes. A few years ago a Sonoma County Judge, Elaine Rushing, was arrested for DUI by a Highway Patrol Officer. I think that these stories show that our Highway Patrol operates under very tough standards and that no one is above the law.
Vote Green

Lakeport, CA

#13 Aug 7, 2010
How do you spell TARGET ON MY HEAD.

One agency policing another. Pathetic only in Lake County.

With all going on in Lake time for a new Sheriff.

Mitchell is no John Wayne, more like Eric Idle in Monty Python.

Even funnier is we did not have to live here.
private

Menlo Park, CA

#14 Aug 7, 2010
mitchell wrote:
what does mitchell have to do with this clown?the guy is an adult im sure rod wasn't there drinking and doping with him and then forcing him to hop in the car and go for a spin...
Mitchell hired this clown to protect you. He didn't force him to do it, he paid him to do it.
Safety first

Fort Dodge, IA

#15 Aug 7, 2010
Consider Peace wrote:
Thanks to the California Highway Patrol for keeping us safe and performing your duties with honor and integrity! I often read stories about Highway Patrol Officers having to arrest a sheriff or judge which must be very difficult for them to do sometimes. A few years ago a Sonoma County Judge, Elaine Rushing, was arrested for DUI by a Highway Patrol Officer. I think that these stories show that our Highway Patrol operates under very tough standards and that no one is above the law.
Agree. That's got to be awkward, but glad they stick to their standards to keep our roads safe from those that have a sense of entitlement. No favors. Thanks CHP.
Support This John

Lakeport, CA

#16 Aug 7, 2010
John Gregore
San Leandro, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse |#1 Wednesday
I just wanted to publicly state the heartfelt gratitude I have for the men and women of the law enforcement and military community that risk their lives every day to protect us.. People, who take their freedom for granted, love to vilify law enforcement and military personnel. I want to thank the HEROES who stand ready and able to defend the rights of the United States of America. These folks who many love to attack defend the concepts that allow their detractors to publicly defame them. Without them we would have chaos. I am proud as always to work with the men and women of the Lake County Sheriff’s Department. They strive to do right every day with little gratitude.
exactly

Clearlake, CA

#17 Aug 7, 2010
hot dog wrote:
Fired at exactly at 3:00 A.M. Mitchell is just trying to protect his own butt now. To little to late for sheriff Mitchell's reelection.
Agree.
Consider Peace

San Francisco, CA

#18 Aug 7, 2010
Support This John wrote:
John Gregore
San Leandro, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse |#1 Wednesday
I just wanted to publicly state the heartfelt gratitude I have for the men and women of the law enforcement and military community that risk their lives every day to protect us.. People, who take their freedom for granted, love to vilify law enforcement and military personnel. I want to thank the HEROES who stand ready and able to defend the rights of the United States of America. These folks who many love to attack defend the concepts that allow their detractors to publicly defame them. Without them we would have chaos. I am proud as always to work with the men and women of the Lake County Sheriff’s Department. They strive to do right every day with little gratitude.
Little gratitude? A fat check without having to get a college degree and a 20 year retirement plan seems like a lot of gratitude to me! I am glad that they are here for us when we need them though and most officers that I have met are very serious about their job.
CLO Resident

Clearlake, CA

#19 Aug 7, 2010
LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Love it---
jokers wild wrote:
on patrol in the lake county hills
thought i'd pop a couple pills
drugs and liquor in my trunk,
drivin' round a little drunk
vision now is not too clear
red light flashing in my mirror
i have a badge, they won't arrest
uh oh, looks like a field test
perdock, garzoli, now this clown
mitchell's cred sinks further down
i end this message with a note
hope this drunk don't own a boat
you give these guys guns eh?
Joe

Oakland, CA

#21 Aug 7, 2010
Safety first wrote:
<quoted text>Agree. That's got to be awkward, but glad they stick to their standards to keep our roads safe from those that have a sense of entitlement. No favors. Thanks CHP.
Yes, thank you CHP another job well done.

Just sorry no one reported Smith acting weird on duty and you know something just wasn't right for quite sometime, you know? Had a co-worker said something then maybe, just maybe he could have gotten some help, taken a leave got some counseling.

But, Rods fibbing again to the people. Smith wasn't fired until after his 2nd DUI, when they were informed and took action even went to Smith's home to remove his gun and other weapons when he was still in custody. Then fired him.

It's about fibbing to the public Rod, thats why people want change. You can't be a commander and lie to the public.
College Degree

San Leandro, CA

#22 Aug 7, 2010
You mean four years of drinking and and acting like an idiot when the cameras are around. Yeah, are colleges are great. I went to a recent college graduations and there was 60 communication graduates. Whats laughable is these recent graduates expect to be pulling down 100,000.00 a year, LMFAO!!! A college degree does not make a smart person. I would rather have someone working for me with life experience not four years of coasting through life on the tax payers dime!
Changes

Fort Dodge, IA

#23 Aug 7, 2010
So they went to his home, served him termination papers that were "backdated" and took his guns and weapons? Why after the first incident was he not placed on Admin leave? Why did they not offer treatment? There will be no one left at the SO at the rate things are going. Messed up.
Mountain Breeze

Los Angeles, CA

#24 Aug 7, 2010
Marzocco wrote:
<quoted text>
If he refused to take an FST after he crashed his unit while on duty and I was his supervisor I would have requested for his termination. As a driver he is entitled to refuse an FST but his position as an on-duty deputy override those rights.
We do not know the results of the internal affair investigation. We also do not know if that deputy had other black marks in his personnel file.
Speed alone does not prove anything but if you add the blood test, booking photo with bloodshot eyes and vacant stare and photos of a destroyed police car it creates a very strong case.
I don't know what article you are reading but it says "former deputy" and nowhere in the article does it say that he was on duty so that would lead to a logical conclusion that he was in his own vehicle and should have declined to take any FST's, only a blood, breath or urine test which is required and in this case a blood test because the officer suspected presciption drug use. This case is separate from when he wrecked his patrol car in Hidden Valley so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hidden Valley Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Konocti Computers Of Lake County, CA - ... (Mar '14) Oct 20 Chelsea 10
emma optenberg Oct 16 Mguilitard ddeddy 3
Hidden Valley or Cobbsnob Mtn has more prcks? Oct 16 Mguilitard ddeddy 1
Business owner charged with rape (Apr '10) Oct 16 Mguilitard ddeddy 43
Sears Lakeport cude get RUDER? Oct 6 fq ed mcguillicud 1
Code Enforcement running wild Oct 6 fq ed mcguillicud 5
Satanists!!! (Feb '14) Oct 6 Hopalong 2

Hidden Valley Lake News Video

Hidden Valley Lake Jobs

Hidden Valley Lake People Search