The president should know better

The president should know better

There are 10 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from May 11, 2010, titled The president should know better. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

For someone who is a "... former professor of Constitutional Law ..." who taught at the "University of Chicago Law School," as stated in Lowell Grant's column last week, one has to wonder if he understands the Constitution that he taught or if he is for some reason deliberately misleading the citizens of our country when he continually states that ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

Philip Murphy

Kettleman City, CA

#1 May 12, 2010
um, hate to break it to you, but ronald reagan said the same thing many, many times.

Since: Nov 08

Newark, CA

#2 May 12, 2010
Mr. Obama was not a "Constitutional law professor." He was a part-time "lecturer" at the University of Chicago. He was probably paid $15 an hour, if that. He was never on the tenure track for Professorship.

Colleges routinely hire professionals to teach required courses at low levels as they are inexpensive and the schools use the excuse they want to have students in contact with people in the professions, i.e. law, but they are nakedly cheap in such hirings.
Two Shoes

United States

#3 May 12, 2010
Adrian Vance wrote:
Mr. Obama was not a "Constitutional law professor." He was a part-time "lecturer" at the University of Chicago. He was probably paid $15 an hour, if that. He was never on the tenure track for Professorship.
Colleges routinely hire professionals to teach required courses at low levels as they are inexpensive and the schools use the excuse they want to have students in contact with people in the professions, i.e. law, but they are nakedly cheap in such hirings.
That really must piss you off. Naked cheap inexpensive sound predatory AV. Got it?
Rich Davis Lakeport

Clearlake, CA

#4 May 12, 2010
Mr. Mckinstry,
I truly admire your knowledge of the Constitution and the semantics involved, but lets be honest here, how many people actually know the difference between a democracy and a republic? You do, as do I and I'm quite sure President Obama does also, but ask the man in the street, or any teabagger, and and you will more than likely get a puzzled look and no answer. President Obama was not misleading anyone, only making a broad statement that most (I hope) Americans understand.
highserenity

Honolulu, HI

#6 May 12, 2010
March 28, 2008
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/was_bar...

Mr. Vance
As you already know the school disagrees with you and this matter (like his birth certificate) was settled over a year ago.
Due to numerous press inquiries on the matter, the school released a carefully worded statement saying that for his 12 years there he was considered to be "a professor."

UC Law School statement: The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer." From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers have high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined.

Mr. Vance---when you post mis-information or at best misleading information as if it were fact then it leaves anything else you post as fact to be suspect.

btw---to Mr. Mckinstry, I also wish the President would educate on this subject----it would make a lot of "talking heads" spin and then maybe Mr. Rich Davis' statement above would not also be correct.
Sue Sponte

Clearlake, CA

#8 May 13, 2010
right, it's a democratic republic, commonly known as a democratic society.

Watsonville, CA

#10 May 13, 2010
Sue Sponte wrote:
right, it's a democratic republic, commonly known as a democratic society.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner.
Donna Christopher

Kelseyville, CA

#12 May 13, 2010
AV, let's hope you're the lamb.

Watsonville, CA

#14 May 13, 2010
Donna Christopher wrote:
AV, let's hope you're the lamb.
Why can I count on you to say something dippy and right out middle school? Stick to moron jokes Donna; you are venturing out of your class.
Provocateur

San Francisco, CA

#16 May 13, 2010
Lincoln was probably the last to call it a Republic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hidden Valley Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman dies in driveway (Jul '11) Jun 11 Debbabb 4
News Lots of pot found at Brown's (Jul '08) May '16 rob black 841
Clearlake.....is it a nice place to live (May '06) May '16 vjsacramento 121
Review: Konocti Computers Of Lake County, CA - ... (Mar '14) Apr '16 Josh 24
Is Clearlake really that "ghetto?" (Oct '07) Apr '16 Provocateur 41
Are you a Towel head or spook lover? Apr '16 _Drifter 6
What's it like living in Hidden Valley Lake? (Feb '13) Feb '16 Bellington 51
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hidden Valley Lake Mortgages