|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello,Im so glad to hear that the bakery holds such fond memories for you and your family. I'm sorry to say that my Grandfather has passed, and none of us know where the recipes are, so we couldn't share them if we wanted to.:(
If he would have known then what we are saying today, he probably would have given you the recipes. I guess there is no one out there that worked on the cakes that would remember.
cheesecakefan

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2011

ELLEN L wrote:
My family and I have been living in Houston since 1980. Before that we lived on Illona Lane. One of our favorite treats was a blueberry crumb pie from Custom Bakers in Island Park. Is it stil there? I would love to surprise him with one on our planned weekend return to New York
I lived in Valley Stream and went to Long Beach every summer. Custom Bakers was always a stop on the way home. I would get a smear of chocolate icing on my finger while my mother bought a cheesecake. It was probably in the mid 1950's on Austin Blvd. I also remember the move to Long Beach Blvd and the same chocolate icing. We moved from LI to VA for about 8 years in 1969 and after returning to NY in Suffolk County, we still drove into Long Beach for their cheese cakes. Bad thing is I got spoiled and none taste as good to this day as Custom Bakers. I also remember the newspaper review in the frame on the wall (think NY Times, but not sure). I definitely miss them.
ETB

East Orange, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2011

I am so glad to read all these posts regarding Custom Bakers. Whether we are family or friend, we all have memories to share. And, Nik, you are right. Costco does not compare. However, they are good. In the end Pop was getting cakes from Publix and saying they were good.:( THERE ARE NO SUBSTITUTIONS. As for the recipes, they do exist but are safe. I would love to have opened a bake shop with them. As for bakers, we had Flako, Ernie, and Etienne. I would love to know if there are relatives that are nearby. I do miss Annie. She was classic! And the icing, don't get me started. Every Monday for two years I worked there and it was all I could do to keep me from eating my way to the bottom of the container! I am so happy people still remember how it used to be. Nikki and Lexi, please keep in touch. You, too, Aunt Sherry! Erika
Steven S

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2011

OK,OK, if the recipes exist and are safe, when will they be available to all of us who remember?? It's only for a selct group. I'm already tasting the chocolate cake with the chocolate frosting....so???
ETB wrote:
I am so glad to read all these posts regarding Custom Bakers. Whether we are family or friend, we all have memories to share. And, Nik, you are right. Costco does not compare. However, they are good. In the end Pop was getting cakes from Publix and saying they were good.:( THERE ARE NO SUBSTITUTIONS. As for the recipes, they do exist but are safe. I would love to have opened a bake shop with them. As for bakers, we had Flako, Ernie, and Etienne. I would love to know if there are relatives that are nearby. I do miss Annie. She was classic! And the icing, don't get me started. Every Monday for two years I worked there and it was all I could do to keep me from eating my way to the bottom of the container! I am so happy people still remember how it used to be. Nikki and Lexi, please keep in touch. You, too, Aunt Sherry! Erika
Lexi

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2011

Steven S wrote:
OK,OK, if the recipes exist and are safe, when will they be available to all of us who remember?? It's only for a selct group. I'm already tasting the chocolate cake with the chocolate frosting....so???
<quoted text>
I sincerely doubt that any one of us grandchildren will ever see them again. Sorry but that is my belief and I am fine with that. Because recipe or no recipe the cakes and pies and breads will never taste the same as far as I am concerned. My grandfather and father added an extra ingredient...love. Their love. So nope will never be the same again.
Lexi

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2011

ETB wrote:
Erika, your more than welcomed to pick up the phone as well. Anyhow I don't recall Pop ever buying cakes from Publix? This must have been down in Florida, But I still don't recall this.
APPLECAKE

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2011

The chocolate iced cakes were great. i loved the apple cake ....we used to get it for every holiday.

recipes would be great !!!!
ETB

Orange, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2011

Hi Applecake, I also love the apple cakes. Those things must have weighed 5 pounds each! They were best when heated and topped with ice cream. I do miss that terribly. And, Lex, as far as Publix, I am afraid it is true. Pop liked their cakes even though they were rediculously sweet and not like ours. E
Roy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2011

I believe the yellow cake with icing that many of you are referring to was called, simply, the Chocolate layer cake--the frosting was sensational. Their cheesecakes were phenomenal and let's not forget about their lemon merengue pie either...I grew up in Oceanside but moved out to the West Coast in 1983 and have been here since. This was simply the finest bakery I have found in all my travels and my grandfather used to bring over a cake once a week when he was invited for dinner at our house. What memories.
ETB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2011

Hi Roy, Thanks for sharing your memories. Every time I would walk by the "garbage pail" filled with chocolate icing, I couldn't help but take a swipe with my finger. Simply put, it was the best! Erika
QueenieFrancie

Coburn, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

OMGosh! The El Patio Beach Club! What a flood of memories that just brought back! I loved my summers in Long Beach, walking down the beach to the beach club and CUSTOM BAKERS! What I wouldn't give for a cheesecake now!
Steven S wrote:
<quoted text>
Nikki:
I have been following this site for a few years with the hope that someone can find the recipe of the chocolate cake with the frosting on it. I used to but it for the old El Patio Beach Club in Atlantic Beach in the 1960's where I worked in the snack bar in my teens. I then went to the store for my family and my three sons were their biggest fans. I have told them (we know have grandchildren) I will keep trying to get the recipe...they also liked the white cake with the chocolate frosting. I think if your grandfather knew about all these emails he would have absolutely no objection giving out his recipe's. I am a grandfather now and I think I know what he would say. If there is anyway anyone can get the recipes, I promise, it will be kept as a family treasure. BTW, Costco cakes are not even close.
mensch

Paterson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

cheesecakefan wrote:
<quoted text>
I It was probably in the mid 1950's on Austin Blvd. I also remember the move to Long Beach Blvd and the same chocolate icing. I definitely miss them.
i only remember the store on austin blvd just n of hess gas station today..where was the original austin blvd store and long beach blvd one..thanx for your response
ETB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2011

Hi Mensch,

The original bakery was on Long Beach Blvd. When it burned down(I believe in the 60s) my grandfather built the one on Austin Blvd. next to the Hess station. Unfortunately, it is now a Dunkin Donuts but many of the characteristic of the building are still there.
dmz

Edgewood, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

I grew up in East Rockaway and whenever we visited our cousins in Long Beach we would stop at Custom Bakers on the way home. I have never found a bakery that compares. Years ago I bought a chocolate layer cake and took it on a plane to Reno, NV. Now I live in New Mexico where bakeries hardly exist
mensch

Malverne, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2011

dmz wrote:
I grew up in East Rockaway and whenever we visited our cousins in Long Beach we would stop at Custom Bakers on the way home. I have never found a bakery that compares. Years ago I bought a chocolate layer cake and took it on a plane to Reno, NV. Now I live in New Mexico where bakeries hardly exist
i thought you were going to write that you picked up a cake on your way to your cousins house in long beach..i guess the cake was so good you didnt want to share it..eat free food at the cousins and great dessert at home
Paul K

Pittston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

ELLEN L wrote:
My family and I have been living in Houston since 1980. Before that we lived on Illona Lane. One of our favorite treats was a blueberry crumb pie from Custom Bakers in Island Park. Is it stil there? I would love to surprise him with one on our planned weekend return to New York
Custom Bakers, Island Park, owned by The Tellowitz family. Know for their Mocha Frosting, is long since gone. Was looking for Gael their daughter and found your question.
Brian I

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

Ah, Custom Bakers, I am 61 years old and all through my life I judge every slice of cheesecake I eat against Custom Bakers. Not one ever compared, oh my aching heart.
ETB

Orange, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

Hi Brian,
As a grandchild of the owner, I, too, compare everything to Custom. Whether it be cheese cakes or the chocolate frosting, nothing is as good.:)
Thanks for sharing.
Erika Telowitz
Harold C

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

I'll toss in my two-bits of memories from Custom Bakers.
Mom found the bakery back in the early 1980's, and they became a care-package mainstay every time I went back to college.
From the challah, to the coffee cake to the apple cake / pie (remember the industrial level building material density of it - mmmm), to the cheese cake and the frosted round cakes.
I just found the NY Times article on the bakery in an old folder and it brought back a flood of memories.
I'll add my voice to the request for recipes and /or a return of the new custom bakers. If I may ask, what are the restrictions / requirements levied on the recipes that would prevent their use?
Kreidell

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Past Decorator wrote:
<quoted text>
Well since I used to decorate the cakes there, I have to ask...might this be Rory???
We would love your recipe for the yellow cake/ chocolate frosting cale

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Hicksville News Video

•••
•••

Hicksville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hicksville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE