First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pond Erring

Sea Cliff, NY

#21 Sep 6, 2011
mikey wrote:
does anyone remember when there was a large fish kill at the pond where like 1000's came to the surface one day and evening (we were hooking them with our treble hooks) and the next day they were all floating covering a lot of the surface of the pond. This had to be in the 60's sometime. Always wondered what caused it. I remember the pond was a great place to ice skate in winter...a lot of girls there...
Of all comments good and bad about Halls Pond Park in West Hempstead, the best one was by Mikey (above). You obviously have fond memories of this childhood playland, Mikey, and it's a wonderful thing. Others who choose to denigrate the pond because it is now dirty and disheveled are wastrels, bent on condemning a now-fragile area. Whether it is maintained by Nassau kCounty or the Townof Hempstead, the park coujld be improved and saved. Nice to have such ardor for an environmental landmark. We have a similar case in Sea Cliff, our beloved Scudders Pond. It is an iceskating center, too, Mikey, and yes full of girls to meet. Good luck, West Hempstead, you have a treasure there. Keep it going.
Jeff from Ocean Avenue

Schenectady, NY

#22 Aug 14, 2013
Mike D wrote:
If you dont like the pond stay out of it! For people who grew up in West Hempstead It holds fond memories of our childhood and still holds true for present and future generations.
This was a beautiful place when I was growing up. We called it sailboat pond. We made little sailboats and put them in one end of the pond and let the wind carry them around until they would find the edge of the pond. And do it all over again. We were 5 & 6 years old at the time.
dean mccabe

West Hempstead, NY

#23 Dec 18, 2013
obviously we all need to come together and make it a better park :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 11 hr Bruser 8,459
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 11 hr Bruser 2,707
Review: 240 Auto Body Inc (Jan '11) Dec 3 John 25
News Standoff ends peacefully in Huntington (May '08) Dec 1 Larry Joe 86
US Hells angels war on American women and child... (Feb '10) Nov 30 GodofUSAHellsangels 305
Alpha Omega Theta Fraternity (Aug '09) Nov 30 Douglas Sprague 19
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Oct '16 Anonymous 49

Hicksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hicksville Mortgages