DA opens criminal probe in day-care death

Full story: Newsday.com

Olivia Raspanti, 2, choked on a carrot at Carousel Day School in Hicksville and died Tuesday.
Comments
101 - 120 of 126 Comments Last updated Dec 8, 2011
WHAT

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

One more thing. Statistically, when tradgedy strikes, marriages have a high percentage of failing. It's amazing that your sister and her husband have not become part of that statistic!
mom of 3

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Judged:

Carousel is GREAT!!!!!! Anyone and EVERYONE who has sent their children in the past or currently will agree.

Yes it is a tragidy but an ACCIDENT. Instead of playing the blame game, you should be advicating on what is the proper foods to give children as snack in school. Whether sent in from home or given out at school. Use all of your energy on that rather than blaming mom or the school.

Carousel is up and running and will continue for another 50 years. All of my support is w/ The owners and staff at Carousel.
WHAT

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

mom of 3 wrote:
Carousel is GREAT!!!!!! Anyone and EVERYONE who has sent their children in the past or currently will agree.
Yes it is a tragidy but an ACCIDENT. Instead of playing the blame game, you should be advicating on what is the proper foods to give children as snack in school. Whether sent in from home or given out at school. Use all of your energy on that rather than blaming mom or the school.
Carousel is up and running and will continue for another 50 years. All of my support is w/ The owners and staff at Carousel.
You must be someone who works for the school. I have been advicating for children for some time now....what have you been doing besides waiting for people to advocate and give you ideas on how to make your school better? Why don't you tell us why the school didn't have the proper procedures in place for an emergency like this?
WHAT

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

And now everyone wants to stay quite. Interesting!
Miracle Worker

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Judged:

Sounds like Carousel was a well-meaning day school with caring counselors watching over the children. These freak accidents happen and the DA has no reason to try putting the blame on anybody.
Jeannie Baden

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

mom of 3 wrote:
Is carousel paying you to spead the word that the school is great? Did you send your children there? Hmmm...
WHAT

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Sure she does....it looks good on her resume! The DA doesn't truly care about the people who are involved in this case...she just wants to make herself look good ... And bringing this daycare down will not only make her look good to State Officials but also to The People.

And yes freak accidents happen everyday. But Carousel had all the ingredients for this tradgedy to happen. The people running the school as well as the employees knew of the red flags and yet did nothing. Poor Baby didn't stand a chance.
mom of 3

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Jeannie Baden wrote:
<quoted text>
The only way you can discount my understanding of the facts is if you were there witnessing the whole event. I got the story directly from my sister and I don't think she would lie about such horrific facts.
was she in the room? no.
mom of 3

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

What wrote:
Jeannie and Blamegame....it's amazing how more people come out of the woodwork to tell more to the story. How does one tell who is telling the truth and who is fabricating?!!! Now the plot thickens. "Mom of 3" is stating that carrots were not a foreign food to these children....seems to me that she is insinuating that either the mother knew of carrots being served or did the mother send the carrots in for her own daughter from time to time? Hmmmm interesting. And then another person "Dominic Barbara" is saying that the mother and the owner had an affair....WOW. Seriosuly, it doesn't happen very often, but I'm at a loss for words at how this story unfolds.
The mother sent in carrots as a snack. im not heartless but everyone should know the truth. not what the media throws out there!!!! it was an accident that could happen anywhere to anyone of us. The staff is and was trained in first aid/cpr.
WHAT

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Jeannie (the sister of the mother) has stated that the mother sent in the carrots as a snack BUT the mother cut them in slivers from what Jeannie said.
WHAT

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

mom of 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
was she in the room? no.
Jeannie, this is true...if the mother was not in the room she wouldn't really know how it went down. The only people who could possible know the details is the people directly in the room at that time.
Dominic Barbara

Leicester, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Jeannie Baden wrote:
<quoted text>
Is carousel paying you to spead the word that the school is great? Did you send your children there? Hmmm...
I've already got everyone convinced the director and kathyrn were having sex and using carrots to do strange things to one another in the office closet...the tough nut to crack is trying to convince the public your sister was a competent mother...but i can do it!!! i'm a master spin doctor....stop by my office and we'll talk fees

Dominic Barbara....ESQ
Jeannie Baden

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeannie, this is true...if the mother was not in the room she wouldn't really know how it went down. The only people who could possible know the details is the people directly in the room at that time.
Well hopefully the truth will eventually come out in trial. Unless of course the ones responsible perjure themselves which is always a possibility
Jeannie Baden

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

Dominic Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>I've already got everyone convinced the director and kathyrn were having sex and using carrots to do strange things to one another in the office closet...the tough nut to crack is trying to convince the public your sister was a competent mother...but i can do it!!! i'm a master spin doctor....stop by my office and we'll talk fees
Dominic Barbara....ESQ
you are a very sick person. get therapy!
Jeannie Baden

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

mom of 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
The mother sent in carrots as a snack. im not heartless but everyone should know the truth. not what the media throws out there!!!! it was an accident that could happen anywhere to anyone of us. The staff is and was trained in first aid/cpr.
I am not disputing that this was an accident. I agree it could happen anywhere or anytime. What I am disputing are the facts of what happened after she choked. The very important few minutes after she started choking should have been used to give her the Heimlich not CPR...more damage was done by performing that manuever
and the fact that emergency was NOT TOLD she was choking. She died on the floor of the school without so much as a hand to hold. Can you just imagine what was going thru her little mind? Its hard enough to deal with her dying needlessly but to think she suffered while trying to take a few last futile breths is what bothers me so much.
WHAT

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

Jeannie, when is the trial? I would like to follow this story and see what the outcome is.
Dominic Barbara

Leicester, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

WHAT wrote:
Jeannie, when is the trial? I would like to follow this story and see what the outcome is.
Jeannies been advised by my office not to comment further on this case...unless of course theres a hundred press people in attendance,then i'll be the mouth piece..thats what im paid to do....to answer your question..i'll be looking to settle this out of court...the reputation of the mother is to much to overcome...i mean she gave the kid the carotts...like giving a kid a gun and telling him not to shoot...her rep on the street isnt something i'd want a jury to hear....i can promise that i'll get a nice chunk of change for myself from the settlement and i'll make sure the family has enough to take a trip to the bahamas ro "recover" from this.
Dominic Barbara ESQ
SoSad

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

Jeannie, while I understand your family's pain, I think you are all torturing yourselves with thoughts of what Olivia went through. I think you all should get some counseling and find a way to accept what happened to help you move on. I'm sure it's quite difficult but if you stay stuck and focused on these thoughts that you have of Olivia's last moments, you will never have any kind of peace within yourselves. And although I didn't know Olivia, I'm sure she'd want her family to be happy and live their lives. Olivia would be so sad if she saw how you were all suffering. I'm sure she wouldn't want that. I know it's probably the most difficult thing to do to move on and you all probably have the feeling like your world has stopped and you want the rest of the world to stop with you but you can't...you must go on. She would want you all to be happy and free from anger and placing blame. Could you imagine how sad she must be with seeing you all suffer and witnessing all the legalities and broken ties because of this. I think there probably has been enough suffering and pain and anger .... please find peace with your neices death.
Dominic Barbara

Leicester, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

SoSad wrote:
Jeannie, while I understand your family's pain, I think you are all torturing yourselves with thoughts of what Olivia went through. I think you all should get some counseling and find a way to accept what happened to help you move on. I'm sure it's quite difficult but if you stay stuck and focused on these thoughts that you have of Olivia's last moments, you will never have any kind of peace within yourselves. And although I didn't know Olivia, I'm sure she'd want her family to be happy and live their lives. Olivia would be so sad if she saw how you were all suffering. I'm sure she wouldn't want that. I know it's probably the most difficult thing to do to move on and you all probably have the feeling like your world has stopped and you want the rest of the world to stop with you but you can't...you must go on. She would want you all to be happy and free from anger and placing blame. Could you imagine how sad she must be with seeing you all suffer and witnessing all the legalities and broken ties because of this. I think there probably has been enough suffering and pain and anger .... please find peace with your neices death.
please dont give advice until a settlement is reached...emotional pain and suffering plays a big part of it...i've told them to always cry in public and to keep telling everyone the mother was competent...stop trying to ruin my settlement or i'll have a gag order put on you!!
WTF

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Judged:

So sad, poor little girl. Maybe if that Lisa chick didn't mess around on her husband a few years back Karma wouldn't have bit her in the ass. And remember, be very careful who you trust with your secrets....see how they get out.

Then again the husband did his share of dirt with the ex-fiance he was with. Didn't he want to keep both women. What a man!

What a dysfunctial home life this poor child had. I hope they cleaned up their act for the remaining children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Hicksville News Video

•••
•••

Hicksville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hicksville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE