DA opens criminal probe in day-care death

Full story: Newsday.com

Olivia Raspanti, 2, choked on a carrot at Carousel Day School in Hicksville and died Tuesday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of126
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
OhWellShitHappen s

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

They should probe the parents who still dropped off their kids even after being told there was a licensing problem.
obituary

Hayes, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

is this an obituary for this child ?
Billy

Hartsdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

concerned parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question, it makes you wonder if what the media is reporting is accurate.
Pretty coincidental that the parent in the report has the same last name as the reporter?? Are they related?
pointblank

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

Beware!
Many day care centers are not insured.
The same applies to day camps.
We wish

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

martha wrote:
Anyone who drops off a toddler at any daycare is a moron.There is something basically wrong with people who need to have other people raise their child.Why have them in the first place if you cannot take care of them or not willing to make a sacrifice for them.They are clueless,you can never get those years back.I quess they get video emails of their childs first step.Makes me want to heave,
Ideally it would be wonderful for all parents to stay home with their kids but what happens when one of the parents starts suffering from a debilitaing ilness or dies and the other has to all of a sudden provide for their kids? Unfortunately not everyone can do this, though I'm sure many wish they could.
BooshMaster2009

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

Newsday's interactive guide, Parents & Children still has Carousels summer program up... wonder if they plan on taking it off the site.

http://www.newsdayinteractive.com/~liparent/s...
importantmessage

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

[Carousel is being run with no care in the world for any child there.The parents only know what Kathy and Gene want them to believe.BEWARE PARENTS take notice what is being said on the news and in the paper is only 1/2 of what really happened. PROTECT YOUR LOVED ONES!!!!!]Life is more than money.I beg you all PLEASE its not worth losing another life for irresponsible, careless ,coldhearted ,greedy ,lying ,decieving, dishonest ,unloyal ,untrustworty, money hungry bastards!!! Kathy is a bold faced lying stab in the back and does whatEVER Gene tells her even if it means covering up the wrongful death of an innocent child who is now a victim with out hope.You may not know what goes on behind closed doors but... I do!!! Let this be a warning to the wize. I hope that this will he;p you to make the RIGHT decision for your child/children.They all will pay for the worst mis-take of their lives.So parents while you're going down to the court house to help support him know what you are getting yourself into.(note:Kathy is a publisist!She does all Genes work for him!)Thank you for your time
importantmessage

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

This issue will be handled appropriatly by the proper authorities in due time. And I am patiently waiting to see the worst of the worst come to the both persons who committed an unlawful act of violence to an innocent soul.
hear this

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

The employment AD said and I quote "work while your 2 yrs old attends school" I noticed that in december of 2007 and Lisa joined in 2008 SO NO THIS IDEA AND OR PLAN WAS NOT TO ACCODATE THE WORKERS it bought the workers in and made more money for them by brining in the UNDER AGED Children.The teachers are NOT licsened to teach these children all Mothers are hired so what ever you can teach your child why not someone elses.All schools by law have to have an AED on each floor, Carousel did not have 1!!! Carousel would also allow children to get hurt and would not say anything until the parents noticed and of Coarse Kathy beiny a Pubilisist and a compulsive liar she ALWAYS knew what to say.They do not have a registered nurse unless you believe its Shannon the front desk Receptionist.Kids come there with LICE and Kathy will tell parents"you can give me the meds and I will make sure to treat it".And they don't have the proper cleaning for it unless spraying down the carpet with water is the way to do it.This is important to know what is being exposed to your children.PARENTS LISTEN AND TAKE HEED PLEaSE!!!!!!!!!!
NEWS FLASH

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

If in fact the teachers were certified they would know that you can't give out or have reachable for childrn,carrots,peanuts,hotdog s,grapes or any foods that can be a choking hazard to the child such as apples etc. Carousel was way under staffed and in fact still is and the ratio there is incorrect. But when authorities enter in Kathy will move staff around temporaraly to show the naked eye what it needs to see at that time. If anything was right there why are they turning certaining people/investergators away ? What do they have to hide? They're perfect and are GREAT with the children or at least thats what they want you to believe. The proof is there PEOPLE, put the pieces together! Learn from this, DON'T be QUICK to JUDGE. RESEARCH 1st. Its not hard to make someone feel good about a SALE. With Selling comes stretching of the TRUTH and alot of convencing to get what you want with a smile to top it all off. TAKE HEED.
Just Listen

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Its not a matter of not being able to care for your kids to put them into daycare. Its human nature to enroll a child into a learnig facility while the parents work and working provides heat, clothes ,food,phones to communicate,electricity and most important a beautiful roof over their heads. So be mindful of life itself and know that you have to take it for what it is.Besides if we did not do things like that there would be no such thing, thats life you can stop and drop everything because you have kids your life is now working and making sure your kids have it all if anything. Better that than not caring at all.
Anonymous

Plainview, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2009

My heart goes out to the Raspanti family. This was a tradgic accident that could have happened right in your own home. From what I have read, I don't agree with how the school has handled the emergency but enough is enough. I think it's time to start healing and honoring Olvia's legacy. The truth is, and I don't mean to sound cold, horrible things happen like this just about everyday. And, this is the first time I have seen so much publicity on an incident like this. What about the other kids that have accidently died, why is that less publicized than this little girls tradgic death. I just feel someone is trying to keep this story in the papers and on the news for reasons I'm sure has a lot to do with the lawyers advice and their "legal" prep work. But the truth is I don't think people will forget about Olivia, enough with the smearing of her name. Let her rest in peace!
Nocturnal396

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

Judged:

My mom worked for a daycare center for a while and spoke about some of the ridiculous things that went on and some of the parents that just didn't give a crap. True, not ALL parents that enroll their kids in daycare are bad nor does it mean they are not doing a good job parenting if they do so...

BUT

i've heard the stories of the moms dropping their kids off at daycare all day, supplying them with complete junk food (things as crazy as coffee) and just showing a complete lack of disregard for their own responsibility to raise their child. Some of them expect daycare employees to teach their kids basic things that the PARENTS themselves should be teaching...and to top it off, they are dropping these kids off in 50 thousand dollar plus BMW, Lexus, Benz SUV's ect... and are wearing expensive clothing and jewelry. It is obvious that PRIORITIES and RESPONSIBILITY is lost on FAR too many parents in this day and age. There is NO denying that.

With that said, I am NOT implying that any of this is true in the case of this child/parents. However, I do think it is kind of dumb to sue the company for not having a license. Seriously, people with some degree of intelligence know enough not to hire an electrician or plumber who has no license... Why you wouldn't do EVERYTHING you can to verify the quality of a place that is going to WATCH YOUR CHILD is beyond me.
Nocturnal396

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

...it shouldn't have been hard to verify whether or not the place had a legit license if you actually took the time out to do so.
Jeannie Baden

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

Nocturnal396 wrote:
My mom worked for a daycare center for a while and spoke about some of the ridiculous things that went on and some of the parents that just didn't give a crap. True, not ALL parents that enroll their kids in daycare are bad nor does it mean they are not doing a good job parenting if they do so...
BUT
i've heard the stories of the moms dropping their kids off at daycare all day, supplying them with complete junk food (things as crazy as coffee) and just showing a complete lack of disregard for their own responsibility to raise their child. Some of them expect daycare employees to teach their kids basic things that the PARENTS themselves should be teaching...and to top it off, they are dropping these kids off in 50 thousand dollar plus BMW, Lexus, Benz SUV's ect... and are wearing expensive clothing and jewelry. It is obvious that PRIORITIES and RESPONSIBILITY is lost on FAR too many parents in this day and age. There is NO denying that.
With that said, I am NOT implying that any of this is true in the case of this child/parents. However, I do think it is kind of dumb to sue the company for not having a license. Seriously, people with some degree of intelligence know enough not to hire an electrician or plumber who has no license... Why you wouldn't do EVERYTHING you can to verify the quality of a place that is going to WATCH YOUR CHILD is beyond me.
Ok I hope your done. Maybe you shouldn't comment unless you know the facts. This particular school did their best to hide that they were not properly licensed for children under the age of 3. The mother of this child WORKED at the school and was told that she was not the only employee who had child care issues. The school, as a "favor" allowed the working parents the option of enrolling their own children at a decreased rate. Who wouldn't take advantage of that kind of offer? Unfortunately, this was a tragic accident which could have happened at any daycare. The issue is how they reacted after this accident occurred. Their actions were reprehensible. I am not going to go into the ugly details but being a family member I am very well aware of what took place and how my beautiful niece had to die alone. The owners/operators of this daycare should know the pain my sister and the rest of the family is feeling and will feel forever. No amount of money is going to bring back Livi but it seems that's the only way to punish Gene and Jane Formica. I hope they burn in hell!!!
Punch Me in the Face

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

Judged:

Jeannie Baden wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I hope your done. Maybe you shouldn't comment unless you know the facts. This particular school did their best to hide that they were not properly licensed for children under the age of 3. The mother of this child WORKED at the school and was told that she was not the only employee who had child care issues. The school, as a "favor" allowed the working parents the option of enrolling their own children at a decreased rate. Who wouldn't take advantage of that kind of offer? Unfortunately, this was a tragic accident which could have happened at any daycare. The issue is how they reacted after this accident occurred. Their actions were reprehensible. I am not going to go into the ugly details but being a family member I am very well aware of what took place and how my beautiful niece had to die alone. The owners/operators of this daycare should know the pain my sister and the rest of the family is feeling and will feel forever. No amount of money is going to bring back Livi but it seems that's the only way to punish Gene and Jane Formica. I hope they burn in hell!!!
Da Rice says it is OK to lie in Nassau County if you are a woman.

No criminal charges need be brought if you promise to get some counselling and do some community service.
Yankee Fan

Makati, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

Don't have all the details of what happened but for fact there are daycares as well as nursing homes staffed by immigrants with fraudulant credentials. This is common among Filipinos especially.
Ben

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Punch Me in the Face wrote:
<quoted text>
No criminal charges need be brought if you promise to get some counselling and do some community service.
Meet me face to face punk, and I'll punch you in the face and knock you out into next week ya loser!!!!LMAO

Since: Sep 09

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Punch Me in the Face wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't a clue do you? This has nothing to do with lying. Were you there? Did you see what happened? Have you ever faced this kind of tradgedy? I really hope not because it is the worst pain one could ever feel. Now go play nice somewhere before you earn exactly what your username implies...
Becka

Cohoes, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Jeannie Baden wrote:
<quoted text>
This is such a sad thing to happen to the family. I don;t know them, but being a parent I can't even imagine...

Now, from your post, it sounds like they left her alone?!

This is terrible! My condolences to the family.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of126
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Hicksville News Video

•••
•••

Hicksville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hicksville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••