Protest against cuts to Nassau youth ...

Protest against cuts to Nassau youth programs

There are 5 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 20, 2009, titled Protest against cuts to Nassau youth programs. In it, Newsday reports that:

Several hundred youths, parents and nonprofit leaders spent yesterday morning rallying on the steps of the Nassau County building in Mineola , protesting deep cuts that the county says it had to make in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Insiders view

Bohemia, NY

#1 Feb 20, 2009
Thomas Stokes said that the youth groups should lobby the State for Suozzi's tax increases and Cameras. That is wonderful! In these hard economic times we need more taxes. I know that sin taxes are a popular way generating revenue but sooner or later what we are doing is taxing ourselves out of the funds we need to live.

The administration needs to take a harder look at the budget and remove the fat! Did the parks department which is slated to be all but closed need a new deputy commissioner of parks since announcing the tough fiscal times?

Again I submit that Suozzi has completely lost touch with the people. I do not know if he ever had any real contact with reality! Check out the books of Glen Cove where everything is named after a Suozzi and you will find that they are and have been virtually broke since he was Mayor.

He has taken very big and fiscally imprudent steps to keep Glen Cove's fiscal situation from becoming a public issue but why do you think the County bought the sewer treatment center under the guise of making money and now wants to sell or privatize it! It all goes back to $$$.

In Suozzi's constant mission to make it to Albany or Washington he tries to be all things to all people and now the bill is coming due.

Isn't wonderful that the children of Nassau County learned a few civics lessons yesterday? One was about protesting. The other was that while Mr. Suozzi, the democratic County Executive who supposedly is the champion of the poor; who got a raise of $65,000 last year, knowing the deadline he put on the the legislation that is going to kill the programs the children needs like the Super bowl champs is in Disney World.

Maybe it is fitting that he is the land of Mickey and Goofy and make believe! He has very little sense of reality left here!!
RealDeal

Schenectady, NY

#2 Feb 20, 2009
Well said. Suozzi is clearly only interested in his political ambitions. An it is not just what he is doing to youth services, look at entire picture, blaming county employees for the fiscal crisis, financing the county using variable bonds and the list goes on and on. He is out of control and out of touch. He needs to go.
Saving Youth and Dollars

AOL

#3 Feb 21, 2009
In this story, Newsday spins the devastating threat to vulnerable youth by shifting responsibility from the County Administration to the New York State legislature. The logic goes something like this: If the most vulnerable of families advocate for an increase in cigarette taxes then revenues will be restored and youth services as we know them will be restored. The story ought to be put into a more accurate context that poses the question, what will it cost to house even some of the troubled youth that are barred from these services, in psychiatric institutions and detention facilities? The answer is that the cost to the taxpayer will far surpass any cost “savings” that the devastating cuts claim to represent. During these difficult economic times when all efforts are needed to support vulnerable children and preserve families, the proposed cuts will decimate the service system that has been carefully constructed to support them, and will bear an even greater cost in lives lost, kids plucked from their homes and families splintered and destroyed.
Tom and Mickey

Roslyn Heights, NY

#4 Feb 21, 2009
I don't begrudge Mr. Suozzi a trip to Disneyworld with his family. He does have young children and time is precious when you have a young family. My greatest hope is that the trip will remind him how precious this time is for children and youth that are struggling and who may never be able to afford a trip to Orlando. Having a community youth program may be as good as it gets. And, that’s pretty darn good. Depriving kids of such vital community services does not strike me as the act of someone that feels empathy for others. I trust that when Mr. Suozzi returns from a good time with his children, he will reconsider his decision and restore all of the cuts to youth services.
If he only had a heart

AOL

#5 Feb 21, 2009
Tom and Mickey wrote:
I don't begrudge Mr. Suozzi a trip to Disneyworld with his family. He does have young children and time is precious when you have a young family. My greatest hope is that the trip will remind him how precious this time is for children and youth that are struggling and who may never be able to afford a trip to Orlando. Having a community youth program may be as good as it gets. And, that’s pretty darn good. Depriving kids of such vital community services does not strike me as the act of someone that feels empathy for others. I trust that when Mr. Suozzi returns from a good time with his children, he will reconsider his decision and restore all of the cuts to youth services.
I hope you are right but this may be too much to ask for from the Tin Man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Very Honest & Great Guy Itzik Vaisfiche 18 hr Orange Apple3210 3
News Detectives Charge Three Men in Westbury Taxi Ca... Sun Stacks 1
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Sat Larry42 14
David Redlo Construction DBA Right Choice Home ... (Jul '10) Sat giant 2
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Sat Bruser 2,465
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Sat Bruser 8,004
News Dining Detour: Restaurants near Nassau Coliseum (Jan '09) Fri Joan 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hicksville Mortgages