Why is East Rockaway so Ghetto?
the judge

Lawndale, NC

#21 Jan 11, 2014
I lived there and glad I left. for those who cant leave ofcourse they will defend it. the caliber of people are lower middle class and many are on public assistance. many people are from single parent income households made up of laborers and town employees. they are not bad people just not professionals. there are a lot of people without college educations and it seems they have no desire to succeed in life. many of the women are stay at home moms or daycare workers and that's fine but it seems like a cycle of complacency has set into the mindset there.i didn't find there to be many minorities as the earlier posts suggest, just white people that are happy making the minimum in life and living in small homes without any ambition to move up in society and move out. there are some wealthy holdouts but as they age they will be out too.IF YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO REPEAT THE CYCLE THAN STAY.. OR MOVE TO A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE WANT TO SUCCEED IN LIFE GO TO COLLEGE AND MAKE THIS WORLD BETTER AND NOT AS YOU FOUND IT... THAN GET THE HELL OUT..........................
Dkatz

Elmhurst, NY

#22 Mar 13, 2014
These bloggers are confusing EAST ROCKAWAY, LONG ISLAND with FAR ROCKAWAY, QUEENS!!!!
Learn your areas and neighborhoods people!!!!!
jorge gotti

Malverne, NY

#23 Aug 31, 2014
Thats what you get when you build a town around a sewer waste treatment plant!
Three Eyed Fish

Malverne, NY

#24 Aug 31, 2014
Slum Landlord wrote:
As I drive through nice areas like Cedarhurst, and other 5 towns I get stuck in one Ghetto Trash neighborhood called East Rockaway, toothless junkies they all look like. Wow what a shanty and slum like town what happned did you all send the white trash o live in East rockaway?
First of all east Rockaway is not trashy. You will find trashy people in whatever town you live in. The fact that you generalize all toothless people to be in erock just shows how ignorant and sheltered you are. Have you been to oceanside baldwin long beach or lynbrook? Get a clue slum lord... Peace out and wake up there r plenty of wealthy successful people that live in east rock and theres also people that dont have 4 yr degrees that probably double your salary so why dont you be bitter somewhere else . Prob hav an old ex girlfriend in erock that never called u back...
Love the rock
Three Eyed Fish

Malverne, NY

#25 Aug 31, 2014
Three Eyed Fish wrote:
<quoted text>First of all east Rockaway is not trashy. You will find trashy people in whatever town you live in. The fact that you generalize all toothless people to be in erock just shows how ignorant and sheltered you are. Have you been to oceanside baldwin long beach or lynbrook? Get a clue slum lord... Peace out and wake up there r plenty of wealthy successful people that live in east rock and theres also people that dont have 4 yr degrees that probably double your salary so why dont you be bitter somewhere else . Prob hav an old ex girlfriend in erock that never called u back...
Love the rock
Well put 3 Eyed Fish!
Cricket

United States

#26 Aug 31, 2014
How upsetting and disgraceful this posting is! Oh my goodness do you all read what is written. Everyone of you has a skin tone as do I. Oh my goodness look in the mirror or just look at the shade of your arm. I can't believe the horrid writing on this posting. Move to where? Anywhere you move there are skin tones, there are minds that speak other languages, words you could learn from. Beauty you could see if you open your eyes.

East Rockaway is not a Ghetto it is a town built by people who provide for their families who make each day their best. How dare you make racist comments... Shame on you!

The "Jew zone"... Are you seriously full of audacity to write that?
Glow In The Dark Crab

Malverne, NY

#27 Aug 31, 2014
I agree with you cricket east rockaway is a great town and skin color differs depending how close you live to the sewage waste treatment plant. I wouldnt want to live anywhere else!!!
Barnacle Bitch

Malverne, NY

#28 Aug 31, 2014
Glow In The Dark Crab wrote:
I agree with you cricket east rockaway is a great town and skin color differs depending how close you live to the sewage waste treatment plant. I wouldnt want to live anywhere else!!!
Cricket n glow in the dark crab, i knw what u mean.... Sometimes i just sit and reminisce of all the old days of hanging by the bay ,beach ,and even the hooker trailer grabbing hot dog or a bite to eat. Love east rock nothing like them blue crabs and grilling them at night wout my teeth, it taste so good. Save the rock
pauldrew

Jamaica, NY

#29 Nov 24, 2014
Slum Landlord wrote:
As I drive through nice areas like Cedarhurst, and other 5 towns I get stuck in one Ghetto Trash neighborhood called East Rockaway, toothless junkies they all look like. Wow what a shanty and slum like town what happned did you all send the white trash o live in East rockaway?
Are you sure you didn't make a wrong turn and end up in Far Rockaway? You description sound a lot more like Far Rockaway, than East Rockaway. Tool.
pauldrew

Jamaica, NY

#30 Nov 24, 2014
the judge wrote:
I lived there and glad I left. for those who cant leave ofcourse they will defend it. the caliber of people are lower middle class and many are on public assistance. many people are from single parent income households made up of laborers and town employees. they are not bad people just not professionals. there are a lot of people without college educations and it seems they have no desire to succeed in life. many of the women are stay at home moms or daycare workers and that's fine but it seems like a cycle of complacency has set into the mindset there.i didn't find there to be many minorities as the earlier posts suggest, just white people that are happy making the minimum in life and living in small homes without any ambition to move up in society and move out. there are some wealthy holdouts but as they age they will be out too.IF YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO REPEAT THE CYCLE THAN STAY.. OR MOVE TO A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE WANT TO SUCCEED IN LIFE GO TO COLLEGE AND MAKE THIS WORLD BETTER AND NOT AS YOU FOUND IT... THAN GET THE HELL OUT..........
I forgot, living in Charlotte, NC reopresents the pinnacle of success.
Our town

Lynbrook, NY

#31 Nov 24, 2014
This is so amusing to me, I've lived in ER for 34 years, I'm still here, managed to raise 2 daughters with 5 college degrees between them including a phD. I'm happy as a professional clam. So don't judge a whole town on a few people. So ridiculous.
Jennifer Hinderstein

East Rockaway, NY

#32 Nov 24, 2014
I live in East Rockaway and have no idea where all of these "observations" are coming from. To call East Rockaway a slum is a blatant lie. There are different sections of East Rockaway and I believe that income does come into play when buying a home, however, every section is well kept and all streets are safe. In terms of their being a Jewish section, simply untrue. In terms of religion, East Rockaway is a mixed area. In terms of race, I wish it were more mixed than it is.
Dominic_Orlando

Elmont, NY

#33 Nov 24, 2014
So let's put racial bigotry and senseless statistics aside and REALLY talk facts here. Ok so East Rockaway has been around quite a long time with a long history of being a quaint small village and a nice place to raise a family. With that said I guess maybe you did happen to roll by Beery's on Atlantic Ave on a Friday or Saturday night or maybe the Bold O'Donohughs on Ocean once or twice and could think wow what a bunch of low life's. That granted I can tell you that there was an event a little over 2 years ago I don't know that was maybe the most culminating let catastrophic natural disaster to hit this small village in its over 100 years of existence which was Super Storm Sandy. To this day there are still condemned properties and displaced families and individuals who have not had any semblance of normalcy since that tragic event. The town was in ruins anywhere south of atlantic ave extension. Also those low life "appearing" people that you choose to judge in ignorance are the same people that are there for a neighbor, that have grown up here and don't judge you the yuppy or snobby hipster you probably are. I left East Rockaway for a period of time but not for the reason of screw this ghetto, no hardly so. I left because I enlisted in the US Marine Corps and served 8 years active duty. When my time was up and I was deciding where to move my family to from North Carolina I chose to come home to East Rockaway because out of all the places on Long Island we don't have violent crime, we don't have vandalism or mass graffiti we don't have robberies or any of that nonsense. So we have a few that like to enjoy an adult beverage or 2 or 14 so does everyone else. Do we have gang violence? When's the last time you read about a shooting or a stabbing in East Rock?? That's right it's an extremely rare occurrence here because we take pride in our small village and we live decent lives. And notice I used my real name here instead of hiding my identity like some do who throw stones in glass houses. Will I say this is a perfect village. Hardly as everywhere has their few and their undesirables. But unless you have had something happen to you here that you care to expand on do us all a favor and stick to your 5 Towns as we don't need your judgemental attitude here in our quiet neighborhood. Feel free to come see the REAL East Rockaway anytime you like as I'd be happy to give you a personal tour whenever.
ErinbwholovesER

Lynbrook, NY

#34 Nov 24, 2014
First off the ignorance on here is disgusting! Second...FACTS posted FACTS but dumb ignorant people like to ignore facts...houses are 350-750K here in ER...Sorry...but you dont find these kind of home prices in the ghetto..average family making over 76K is not poverty levels...This post is on the ER page on FB..and you ignorance is being laughed at...and you are now famous for being a disgusting bigot with the mentality of a ghetto loser!!! ER is amazing...we suffered a lot of damage form Sandy Storm. Its comeback is slow...but this community is strong...and some of you on here are the ugliest form of human beings I have ever read...shame on you
ErinbwholovesER

Lynbrook, NY

#35 Nov 24, 2014
the judge wrote:
I lived there and glad I left. for those who cant leave ofcourse they will defend it. the caliber of people are lower middle class and many are on public assistance. many people are from single parent income households made up of laborers and town employees. they are not bad people just not professionals. there are a lot of people without college educations and it seems they have no desire to succeed in life. many of the women are stay at home moms or daycare workers and that's fine but it seems like a cycle of complacency has set into the mindset there.i didn't find there to be many minorities as the earlier posts suggest, just white people that are happy making the minimum in life and living in small homes without any ambition to move up in society and move out. there are some wealthy holdouts but as they age they will be out too.IF YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO REPEAT THE CYCLE THAN STAY.. OR MOVE TO A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE WANT TO SUCCEED IN LIFE GO TO COLLEGE AND MAKE THIS WORLD BETTER AND NOT AS YOU FOUND IT... THAN GET THE HELL OUT..........
really..you know all of this how?? these homes go for over 400K...I make 75K alone...youre an idiot...and you ignorance is astounding...based on your judgement to know all families in ER and what they make and what they have succeeded in life shows what a tool you are...you left cause you couldnt afford the high end living in ER...be honest...loser
CMC EROCK

Valley Stream, NY

#36 Nov 24, 2014
All you people are ridiculous! Sounds more like a racial thing to me which is pathetic. I've lived in bay park my whole life and I absoulutely love it here! I have a beautiful house on the water n great neighbors! This is a very small town where everyone knows everyone, no matter age, race, ethnicity etc... we are always all here for eachother no matter what it is especially being hit with 2 hurricanes. This town came together n helped eachother out. I can't say that for many other towns. As you drive through e rock you will see some houses deteriorating or abandoned. That is only temporary. We are still rebuilding. We are very lucky tohave eachother and to live in this wonderful community. So, if you do not like it, take a different route to where you gotta go. No need to drive through our town n talk trash. That only makes u trash!
CMC EROCK

Valley Stream, NY

#37 Nov 24, 2014
Three Eyed Fish wrote:
<quoted text>
Well put 3 Eyed Fish!
I second that!!
CMC EROCK

Valley Stream, NY

#38 Nov 24, 2014
Cricket wrote:
How upsetting and disgraceful this posting is! Oh my goodness do you all read what is written. Everyone of you has a skin tone as do I. Oh my goodness look in the mirror or just look at the shade of your arm. I can't believe the horrid writing on this posting. Move to where? Anywhere you move there are skin tones, there are minds that speak other languages, words you could learn from. Beauty you could see if you open your eyes.
East Rockaway is not a Ghetto it is a town built by people who provide for their families who make each day their best. How dare you make racist comments... Shame on you!
The "Jew zone"... Are you seriously full of audacity to write that?
Thank you! Agreed!
CMC EROCK

Valley Stream, NY

#40 Nov 24, 2014
Dominic_Orlando wrote:
So let's put racial bigotry and senseless statistics aside and REALLY talk facts here. Ok so East Rockaway has been around quite a long time with a long history of being a quaint small village and a nice place to raise a family. With that said I guess maybe you did happen to roll by Beery's on Atlantic Ave on a Friday or Saturday night or maybe the Bold O'Donohughs on Ocean once or twice and could think wow what a bunch of low life's. That granted I can tell you that there was an event a little over 2 years ago I don't know that was maybe the most culminating let catastrophic natural disaster to hit this small village in its over 100 years of existence which was Super Storm Sandy. To this day there are still condemned properties and displaced families and individuals who have not had any semblance of normalcy since that tragic event. The town was in ruins anywhere south of atlantic ave extension. Also those low life "appearing" people that you choose to judge in ignorance are the same people that are there for a neighbor, that have grown up here and don't judge you the yuppy or snobby hipster you probably are. I left East Rockaway for a period of time but not for the reason of screw this ghetto, no hardly so. I left because I enlisted in the US Marine Corps and served 8 years active duty. When my time was up and I was deciding where to move my family to from North Carolina I chose to come home to East Rockaway because out of all the places on Long Island we don't have violent crime, we don't have vandalism or mass graffiti we don't have robberies or any of that nonsense. So we have a few that like to enjoy an adult beverage or 2 or 14 so does everyone else. Do we have gang violence? When's the last time you read about a shooting or a stabbing in East Rock?? That's right it's an extremely rare occurrence here because we take pride in our small village and we live decent lives. And notice I used my real name here instead of hiding my identity like some do who throw stones in glass houses. Will I say this is a perfect village. Hardly as everywhere has their few and their undesirables. But unless you have had something happen to you here that you care to expand on do us all a favor and stick to your 5 Towns as we don't need your judgemental attitude here in our quiet neighborhood. Feel free to come see the REAL East Rockaway anytime you like as I'd be happy to give you a personal tour whenever.
PERFECT!!:)
Alice

Anchorage, AK

#41 Nov 24, 2014
Listen you m'fers, ER was the absolutely best place to group. The best!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massapequa woman charged in mall shoplifting (Sep '10) 40 min IDOKNOW 6
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) 7 hr yuanyilin 61
News Levittown woman quarantined for bird mites (Jun '08) 9 hr Starling An 47
Review: Brunswick Hospital Center Amityville Ny (Aug '13) Jul 17 Don 3
Village of Northport Police (Dec '08) Jul 16 Rick E Kasso 17
Dick and Dora's (Nov '09) Jul 13 Matt 68
A harlots value's Jul 12 Rayleslie 1

Hicksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hicksville Mortgages