Carousel Day School's Owner and Direc...

Carousel Day School's Owner and Director Indicted

There are 1 comment on the Hicksville Illustrated News story from Mar 6, 2010, titled Carousel Day School's Owner and Director Indicted. In it, Hicksville Illustrated News reports that:

Carousel Day Schoola s owner and director Eugene Formica, 65, and assistant director Kathryn Cordaro, 52, both of Hicksville, were indicted this week on charges related to the March 2009 choking death of 2-year-old Olivia Raspanti.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hicksville Illustrated News.

Taketheplea

Garden City, NY

#1 Mar 8, 2010
The unfair aspect here is that the defense plays NO PART in grand jury proceedings. Therefore, the Prosecutor has the upper hand as to the outcome. Itís a totally unfair process which is why a lot of states have completely done away with grand juries. The Prosecutor only presents evidence that he/she feels is relevant in order to get that indictment handed up from the grand jury. Whatís just and fair about that?

Luckily, what ever the grand jury decides has nothing to do with the outcome of the actual trial. The only reason for the trial to be won by the DA is because they will feel heart broken for the Raspantiís. Whose heart wouldnít go out to them? See what I meanÖtheyíve already won my vote without a trial. So it really isnít a fair fight.

However, I do believe that the DA is trying to make an example out of this school. There are so many other incidents where children have died in daycare where it was actually a preventable incident. This particular incident with Olivia Raspanti REALLY IS A TRAGIC ACCIDENT, just as the CPS had stated as per Carouselís attorney. People do choke (supervised or not) and unfortunately pass away from it. And how in the world can you prove that the school didnít do everything possible to save herÖthatís impossible to proveÖunless you saw and heard everything with your own eyes and ears. Truth is the prosecutor can only assume and base her argument on assumptions (or witnessís assumptions) that they didnít do everything in their power to help that child.

From what the papers say Oliva started at the school when they werenít licensed for children her age but the day she died she actually was old enough to be there and under Carouselís license at the time of her death she was actually able to be thereÖso if all the charges by the DA to me donít make sense pertaining to this death.

I could see both sides of the story but really believe in my heart that the school shouldnít be made an example of. I believe they should pay some hefty fines, but to find them criminally responsible for a tragic accident is totally ridiculous. On the other hand, as I said before, the parents have my sympathy voteÖand my vote is based strictly on sympathy for them. Not the facts, which will probably be the case with this whole mess.

Carousel, I think you better take a plea if itís offered!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Long Island wife Kelly Forbes charged with stra... (Dec '07) Wed MLohan 92
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Jul 25 Ceilidh1 62
News LI's worst offenders (Jan '07) Jul 25 Frank Lehmann 44
News Massapequa woman charged in mall shoplifting (Sep '10) Jul 23 IDOKNOW 6
News Levittown woman quarantined for bird mites (Jun '08) Jul 23 Starling An 47
Review: Brunswick Hospital Center Amityville Ny (Aug '13) Jul 17 Don 3
Village of Northport Police (Dec '08) Jul 16 Rick E Kasso 17

Hicksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance