North Merrick Fire Deemed Suspicious

There are 33 comments on the Long Island Press story from Mar 12, 2011, titled North Merrick Fire Deemed Suspicious. In it, Long Island Press reports that:

Authorities are investigating a suspicious fire that occurred in North Merrick on Saturday at 12:05 a.m., police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Island Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eric from Merrick

Jersey City, NJ

#23 Jun 27, 2011
@ Empire Hose and Former Volley you talk about empire like they have anything to do with this fire. Former volley not sure what empire you belonged to but it must have been a different one than I belonged to for over 15 years. Empire hose what the hell is "pumper fire trucks" are you talking about an engine? If so check your facts you will see your response times are way off. In fact why don't you call North Bellmore dispatch and ask them what the response times are. I don't mind people talk crap, just wish their crap was right. Oh and by my name you should know who I am "If you know members in Empire" Why dont you call me if you think I am wrong (PS Guy WHO WENT TO suny REALLY A FREE EDUCATION FROM SUNY, try again
Volleys get Free

Chicago, IL

#24 Aug 16, 2011
40$ tax break on home taxes

Retirement package

insurance

Free College

1 week free vacation - airfare and hotel

partys in exclusive fire house halls.

perks like free use of equipment and 1st dibs on equipment never used paid by tax payers.

Volleys biggest tax scam in Nassau & Suffolk countys
Volleys get Free

Chicago, IL

#25 Aug 16, 2011
40% tax breaks,

nice retirement for beinga Volley.

Free college
Paul Dudley

Bellmore, NY

#27 Oct 4, 2011
Lets be honest, We are all tired of the Volleys Drills, Race teams, parades, over the top fire houses, numerous unused fire truck and fire equipment.

The Fire Dept Volunteers response to emergencys is always slower then paid Depts, and we still pay and the volunteers on LI, they get Free College, Free Insurance, Free Pension and retirement, Free Vacations, and discount $35% of home property taxes - that does not sound like a volunteer job with so many perks.
Stephen North Merrick

Freeport, NY

#28 Jan 19, 2012
Volunteer wrote:
My friend Stephen Scymcyk works in the NMFD and he advised me there was a very slow responce by the North merrick Fire Department the North Bellmore made it the the emergency before the fire department in there own town.
So lets get this straight, it took so long for North Merrick to arrive the dry cleaners burned while a Fire Department in a town away had to respond first. WOW - this is proof Long Island needs a paid professional Fire Department get rid of the Volleys they are useless unless beer is at the event.
Thanks for getting my name right but thats the only thing right. First of all The dry cleaners is in the town of North Merrick , however parts of North Merrick is covered by the North Bellmore Fire Dept based on district lines established in the 1920's. The incident commander at the Dry Cleaners called the resources he deemed were needed at the scene and to backfill his firehouses for additional alarms. The North Bellmore Fire Department and all the other Volunteer Fire Departments are made up of dedicated men and women who serve their community. They are professionals most of these volunteers joined before as you refer to all the perks they get. So instead of wasting your time sitting at the computer criticizing people get up and do something for your community! So get your facts straight: First yes there is a service award program that was created for recruitment and retention purposes, yes volunteers do attend training seminars in and out of state, some volunteers do get a tax reduction however all the aforementioned are not why a person becomes a volunteer, they join because its neighbor helping neighbor. Any questions feel free to call me

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#29 Jan 20, 2012
You are a moron it is only 1/10 of a mile from Uniondale why would North Bellmore be responsible? it is close to North Merrick friendship then any other firehouse.

Just like a typical Volunteer fire district on Long Island no responsibility no accountability just blame someone else.

This is just more proof we need full time paid professional fire departments on Long Island. enough with lettering fire fighters A,B,C,D who can only baby sit and not respond to a emergency.

Most volleys can barley walk, no less fight fires - they are slow to respond, no efficiency, and get tons of high end perks,like pensions, benefits, reduction in taxes, for doing nothing !
Billy

Bellmore, NY

#30 Nov 13, 2013
jealous are we or are you paid and want to see if you can get to a paid position out here, your an ass
Empire Hose wrote:
I know the Fire houses in Merrick very well and some members. Lots of shady stuff happened over the years lots of cover up's, beer drinking partys, fights in the fire houses that were never reported Insurance scams at Empire house and accounting scandles that were kept hush hish.
They like to party and drink at these over the top fire houses, then when a real fire comes in, 1/2 are leagaly drunk and still respond, add on to it the fire trucks are always real late on the sceen.
I know member arrive in a short time, but the equipment needed liek pumper fire trucks take 20 to 30 mins to arrive somethimes with out enough personal to operate them.
We do need a paid professional fire dept I agree on Long Island.
Billy

Bellmore, NY

#31 Nov 13, 2013
Another jealous person get a life loser
Volleys get Free wrote:
40$ tax break on home taxes
Retirement package
insurance
Free College
1 week free vacation - airfare and hotel
partys in exclusive fire house halls.
perks like free use of equipment and 1st dibs on equipment never used paid by tax payers.
Volleys biggest tax scam in Nassau & Suffolk countys
Stephen Scymcyk

Merrick, NY

#32 Jan 12, 2015
Volunteer wrote:
My friend Stephen Scymcyk works in the NMFD and he advised me there was a very slow responce by the North merrick Fire Department the North Bellmore made it the the emergency before the fire department in there own town.
So lets get this straight, it took so long for North Merrick to arrive the dry cleaners burned while a Fire Department in a town away had to respond first. WOW - this is proof Long Island needs a paid professional Fire Department get rid of the Volleys they are useless unless beer is at the event.
The above comment was never made by myself!
web

Bellmore, NY

#33 Jan 16, 2015
I want Answers wrote:
Why did it take so long for the North Merrick Volunteer fire Department to arrive. The Engine did not arrive and streck hoses for almost 25 mins?
I think 25 mins to arrive with a real Fire Truck and drag hoses is a very very long time. I think this is another example why why need a full time paid fire department on Long island.
Obviously you are a city fireman especially if you are from woodhaven, figures: what you cant take the heat working in the city so you want to be paid out here because you are a ballless coward firefighter. blah blah blah you blowhard, Its all taped so I bet from the moment the first call came in to the time it was dispatched and fire dept arrived was no where near your estimate.
Just another loser who doesn't wait to get all his facts straight before posting something
web

Bellmore, NY

#34 Jan 16, 2015
Slow Responce wrote:
Yes their was a very slow responce from the Merrick Fire department once again. A few member pulled up in the personal vehicled with blue lights flashing but no real action was taken until the Fire Trucks arrived that took almost 30 mins. Note: a few members that came in there personal cars looked drunk.
another loser from Chicago were you actually there think not go back to your hole in the ground
web

Bellmore, NY

#35 Jan 16, 2015
Empire Hose wrote:
I know the Fire houses in Merrick very well and some members. Lots of shady stuff happened over the years lots of cover up's, beer drinking partys, fights in the fire houses that were never reported Insurance scams at Empire house and accounting scandles that were kept hush hish.
They like to party and drink at these over the top fire houses, then when a real fire comes in, 1/2 are leagaly drunk and still respond, add on to it the fire trucks are always real late on the sceen.
I know member arrive in a short time, but the equipment needed liek pumper fire trucks take 20 to 30 mins to arrive somethimes with out enough personal to operate them.
We do need a paid professional fire dept I agree on Long Island.
shows you are a liar, north merrick is a totally different fire dept than merrick that you say in here Empire is Merrick fire dept, so do us a favor go fight your fires in queens watch out don't get burned, oh that's right your probably one of those who stands outside and waits for the real men to go in then you walk in
web

Bellmore, NY

#36 Jan 16, 2015
Fire department wrote:
Lets be honest the Volunteers are what they are, usally dumb kids, or very fat overweight out of shape unqualified members who are wanna-be FDNY
This fire got out of control becuase of the slow responce and unquailifed volleys.
another city loser a lot don't want to be city fd and a lot who are in the volunteers are city fd, seems like your another one looking to try to get long island paid because you want to try to get a job out here because you cant take the heat in the city.,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Found Dead in Jail Cell (Feb '12) 1 hr KerriH 13
News Father and son arrested in Copiague drug bust (Mar '09) 5 hr Somebody who real... 18
Debate: Nuclear Power - Huntington Station, NY (May '11) 7 hr FP 2
Review: Jet Wash 13 hr Mannyg 1
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) May 20 Bruser 2,442
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) May 20 Bruser 8,030
News Long Island family whose dog died sues over pet... (Mar '07) May 19 Nagy 51
More from around the web

Hicksville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]