3-year-old girl drowns in Hewlett

3-year-old girl drowns in Hewlett

There are 81 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 16, 2007, titled 3-year-old girl drowns in Hewlett. In it, Newsday reports that:

A 3-year-girl drowned in a swimming pool in Hewlett yesterday, Nassau County police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Long Islander

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 16, 2007
What a shame. My prayers are with your family. I hope you can somehow find peace again.
Lost Child

Warren, NJ

#2 Jul 16, 2007
Parental Supervision ??? Fence, Gate, Lock ? I guess parents will only learn when its too late. May she rest in Peace. I know any moment we will see the ALARM folks jumping up and down on this one, but it wont get to the root of the problem. Parents just dont get it, if you have a pool and children, protect them. Fence the pool, lock the gate, and most important know where they are at all times.
new ban on stupid parents

Middle Island, NY

#3 Jul 16, 2007
There should be a ban on stupid parents. What type of parent lets an 11 year old watch a 3 year old play next to a pool? Would the 11 year old be able to save her even if he didn't wander off, leaving her 100% unsupervised?

If your daughter was playing near a pool wouldn't you be out there as a parent?
Peter

Lebanon, NH

#4 Jul 16, 2007
Such a sad and tragic end of life for this little girl.
My thoughts and prayers are with her and her and her family.
unknown

Edgewater, NJ

#5 Jul 16, 2007
new ban on stupid parents wrote:
There should be a ban on stupid parents. What type of parent lets an 11 year old watch a 3 year old play next to a pool? Would the 11 year old be able to save her even if he didn't wander off, leaving her 100% unsupervised?
If your daughter was playing near a pool wouldn't you be out there as a parent?
it is not about the older sibling not watching his sister, I am 7 yrs older than my sister and took her everywhere with me. It is the lack of safety around the house to avoid this horrible accident, which is the responsibility of the parents! or any parent when it comes to these drowning accidents
and the band plays on

Levittown, NY

#6 Jul 16, 2007
Where was Cooper when they needed him? Guess this will just be another parent not charged with neglect!
Johnny Islander

New York, NY

#7 Jul 16, 2007
Funny that newsday.com changed the headline from "Accidental Homicide" to this, repackaged the exact same story that has no informationa under a different reporters name, and then erased all the negative posts about their reporting. Newsday is a joke
No Tolerance

Albany, NY

#8 Jul 16, 2007
According to a neighbor, the father of this child told the mother that the totoddler tends to "wander off" and should be watched. The mother in Brookyln, whose child nearly drowned in a bathtub has been criminally charged. Why not this mother? Is the Administration for Children's Services investigating. Again, accidents are accidents, but there are those that can be prevented. This was sheer neglect on this mother's part. It takes some time for a child to drown. WHERE WERE THE PARENTS???
not funny

Denver, CO

#9 Jul 16, 2007
WHERE WERE THE PARENTS????
thinking out loud

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Jul 16, 2007
I remember reading about the child that drowned in Mastic last month and I am shocked because by this time there were hundreds of posts badmouthing the mother and the lowlives in this area. It seems like people have more sympathy because the family is from a wealthier area so people have nothing negative to say. Maybe if poeple stopped being snobs and realized that it is a tragedy when this happens regardless of geographical location and that the bottom line is is that both of these children were not supervised. Same situation-different location-different attitudes- I guess things really don't change.
by george

Fairview, NJ

#11 Jul 16, 2007
Johnny Islander wrote:
Funny that newsday.com changed the headline from "Accidental Homicide" to this, repackaged the exact same story that has no informationa under a different reporters name, and then erased all the negative posts about their reporting. Newsday is a joke
Newsday makes more error corrections in it's daily papers than any other publication. Perhaps under it's new ownership it's reporting will improve.
Rockland observer

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#12 Jul 16, 2007
Johnny Islander wrote:
Funny that newsday.com changed the headline from "Accidental Homicide" to this, repackaged the exact same story that has no [new] information under a different reporters name, and then erased all the negative posts about their reporting.
But some readers noticed!
Been there

Hoffman Estates, IL

#13 Jul 16, 2007
As a mother my heart breaks for you. I lost my 3 year old daughter in a pool accident five years ago, As a parent we are supposed to be ever watchful, but in a real world it is not as simple as it sounds.
I know how surreal it is, because you never think it can happen to you. As for all these people who judge, you are in no position to make these comments and accusation of guilt towards these parents. You don't know all the circumstances despite the outcome. Before this happened to me I was just like you.
Not a day will go by that you don't think of her...I don't wish this fate on any parent and it is my greatest wish that no one else go through the horrible tragedy of losing a child. I know the upcoming days, weeks, months will be difficult...I wish you peace.
AUNT ELVIRA

Chesterfield, MO

#15 Jul 16, 2007
As the Aunt Of Anthony The little boy who drown on June 6th, I can't help but have my anger resurface after hearing the tragic death of this little girl....and let me just say this as well as my Nephew, totally unnecessary.....I cant help but wonder what pool law they will try to pass now...of coarse taking all responsibility off the parents and putting it somewhere else....God help that little boy, my prayers are with him. As for newspapers and the News...after the death of my nephew and how they twisted the facts of what actually happened to him. I have lost all faith in journalism they have no clue what the hell they are talking about...I'm sorry for the families loss no one should ever have to go through this, that being said, based on my own grief and knowledge of the truth surrounding my nephews death I can't help but say...If you are going to bring children into this world you have to take responsibility for them every waking moment of everyday.
liberty

Mahwah, NJ

#16 Jul 16, 2007
Been there wrote:
As a mother my heart breaks for you. I lost my 3 year old daughter in a pool accident five years ago, As a parent we are supposed to be ever watchful, but in a real world it is not as simple as it sounds.
I know how surreal it is, because you never think it can happen to you. As for all these people who judge, you are in no position to make these comments and accusation of guilt towards these parents. You don't know all the circumstances despite the outcome. Before this happened to me I was just like you.
Not a day will go by that you don't think of her...I don't wish this fate on any parent and it is my greatest wish that no one else go through the horrible tragedy of losing a child. I know the upcoming days, weeks, months will be difficult...I wish you peace.
Yes, it is as simple as it sounds. I have a 3 year old & a 4 year old. They are never out of my eye sight. If that means I wait for my husband to come home before I can take a shower, thats what I do. Use the bathroom with the door open, I dont care. I always know where they are & what they are doing. I am a parent.....that is my job. I am sorry for your loss, as I am sorry for the loss of this little girl. But parents just need to do more. If they cant handle it, they shouldnt be parents. Im sorry, but in my opinion, once you become a parent, that is your only priority. My job, is the health, safety & well being of my children. Everything else comes second. This liitel girl didnt ask to be born, & she certainly didnt ask to die. People get so angry because it is an innocent little child. They cant protect themselves, that is why they have parents. We are our childrens only advocates......maybe its time more parents started acting that way.
Fellow Day Care Parent

New York, NY

#17 Jul 16, 2007
Chloe was a beautiful, playful child with her whole life ahead of her. My son went to daycare with her and we met the family at one of Chloe's birthday parties. They were very loving parents - I weep for their loss and my heart goes out to them.
As for blasting them, I think they have replayed this event over a million times in their heads already. I don't think the court of public opinion or of the law even can punish them any further. No parent should EVER have to go through this to "learn" a lesson. You know what they say about people in glass houses. You should all just thank God for your children's own safety and cherish them. How dare some of you....
Nancy

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Jul 16, 2007
my heart aches for the family. my daughter watched chloe in daycare and is devastated by this tradgedy. pray for peace for this family especially for the 11 year old who will probably never get over the feeling that it was some how his fault. may she rest in peace
Rockland observer

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#19 Jul 16, 2007
liberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is as simple as it sounds. I have a 3 year old & a 4 year old. They are never out of my eye sight. If that means I wait for my husband to come home before I can take a shower, thats what I do. Use the bathroom with the door open, I dont care. I always know where they are & what they are doing. I am a parent.....that is my job. I am sorry for your loss, as I am sorry for the loss of this little girl. But parents just need to do more. If they cant handle it, they shouldnt be parents. Im sorry, but in my opinion, once you become a parent, that is your only priority. My job, is the health, safety & well being of my children. Everything else comes second. This liitel girl didnt ask to be born, & she certainly didnt ask to die. People get so angry because it is an innocent little child. They cant protect themselves, that is why they have parents. We are our childrens only advocates......maybe its time more parents started acting that way.
I just don't think you can say this and cover every single situation.

I think you are lucky and don't know it.
BMH

Trenton, NJ

#20 Jul 16, 2007
On the way home from the beach yesterday my family saw many police cars blocking the road for an ambulance to get through to South Nassau hospital as quickly as possible. This is very unusual and we knew something terrible had happened. Today we found out it was little Chloe being rushed to the hospital to no avail. As a mother I feel great compassion for her parents and brother. Accidents can happen in a second and you can't watch a child every second (unless you are perfect). You can only try your best. I am not making a judgment but my husband and I decided not to ever buy a pool for this reason. It makes accidents even easier to occur. It is a tragic loss of life. May God have the family bear their overwhelming loss.
Trailor Park Trash

Warren, NJ

#21 Jul 16, 2007
Rockland observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't think you can say this and cover every single situation.
I think you are lucky and don't know it.
Your right you cant cover every situation but you can cover the situations that are obvious. When you have a pool and small children, you MUST take every precaution. A child should not be able to get out of your house unless you let them out. Locks, alarms whatever you need to do, you do. Its very simple, you just need to take the time to so so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Very Honest & Great Guy Itzik Vaisfiche 11 hr Orange Apple3210 3
News Detectives Charge Three Men in Westbury Taxi Ca... Sun Stacks 1
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Sat Larry42 14
David Redlo Construction DBA Right Choice Home ... (Jul '10) Sat giant 2
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Sat Bruser 2,465
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Sat Bruser 8,004
News Dining Detour: Restaurants near Nassau Coliseum (Jan '09) Fri Joan 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hicksville Mortgages