Saving Long Island's Gold Coast

Posted in the Hicksville Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#1 Mar 23, 2006
There is a need for all of us to try to save what little History is left here in Nassau County. Winfield, "The Woolworth Mansion" needs help. If anyone knows of a way to help save this precious piece of History, contact those who can make a difference in your own area. All of the land & buildings that tell the story of what used to be a proud & illustrious heritage, need all of OUR help.
The best place to start is with the government in your local area. DON"T let our history be lost.
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#2 Mar 23, 2006
This is an exerpt from another forum about this topic. "Local input has informed me that a letter campaign could help! However it must come from Glen Cove residents and be directed to the local government. It must demand enforecement of standing rules regarding "demolition by neglect". "Anyone outside the area would have to be a scholar or expert in some field of note to carry any weight. My understanding today it's all about local politics and votes.
Email: [email protected]"
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#3 Mar 23, 2006
The following are quotes from ligoldcoast.com message board."I went to the Zog ruins today to take some pictures. What I found was a bit disturbing. Kids had spray painted obsenities all over the remains. I want the county to take a look at what was done and decide if it should be painted over."
"oh...my...god. that's one of the most disturbing things i have ever seen. what disgusting human beings. this really upsets me and i shouldn't let the disrespectful, ignorant and tastelessness of the people who did this get to me, but this hurts. this place is a preserve and honestly, nassau county should secure this place with either park rangers and/or security cameras to see who is going in and out of there..."
"I have taken this matter up with Mr. Tom Suozzi.
I sent him a message regarding this and i think if we could all give him a piece of our minds about how we feel about it, something could be done to reverse it. not only is this a piece of history, but this is a nature preserve where people visit, along with their families and children."
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#5 Mar 24, 2006
This is a post from: ligoldcoast.com RE: Winfield Hall Mailing Campaign

"If your a resident of Glen Cove you should call city hall direct and get someone in zoning/mayor's office to tell you how to get that info. If engough Glen Cove residents make this call it will certainly plant a seed in city hall. I actually called zoning yesterday and feel just by broaching the subject with someone will get conversation going. If more people did, people in city hall will at least have passing conversations about all these calls about Winfield Hall maybr more. Letters would have to follow. Local newspapers always likes these kind of stories. Be a informed voter."
Email: [email protected]
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#6 Mar 24, 2006
Here is another Quote...just though some folks would like to KNOW what's going on. It is hard to be all places, & difficult to get all the information. The point is to create talk about issues. To do this we ALL need information......
"Winfield Hall Mailing Campaign ...Bloggers:
A letter writing campaign is a great idea. If it motivates the mayor or town landmark's commission to act that would be great, but remember you have the unfortunate aspects of small town politics where everyone seems to know one another and heaven forbid somebody acts against the interests of their own town residents. I have previously sent letters to the editor of the "Record Pilot" and to the Mayor's office. I did receive feedback from many at the time, including the broker who was marketing the mansion and they all said that the mansion is a landmark and it can't be demolished. Unfortunately, far too many people overlook the simple fact that any owner can appeal a landmark designation after proving that owning and maintaining a building has become an undue burden to the owner and all efforts to market and/or sell the landmark has been fruitless. Landmarks have been destroyed before after their owners sought to relieve themselves of owning a property that they could not sell. "Demolition by neglect" always is a great concern. Winfield Hall would seem to conveniently fall into this category for the lucky owner. Zoning changes may also allow development of the property, not necessarily a good solution, a caring preservation minded owner is needed. Good luck to all who take the time to express their concerns about Winfield Hall's fate."
Email: [email protected]
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#7 Jun 21, 2006
The situation invovling OUR GOLD COAST is in urgent need of ATTENTION...Here is another quote from a forum of Gold Coast fans...

.."It is a totally ridiculous situation in Glen Cove regarding the deaf, dumb and blind members of the local Landmarks Preservation Commission in Glen Cove. Since I toured and photographed the crumbling interiors of Winfield Mansion a few years ago, S.P.L.I.A. has asked the mayor's office and the Commission to do something and I understand the Commission sees nothing wrong with the way the current owner is maintaining the landmark structure. There are penalties and fines that can be imposed, since "demolition by neglect" is obviously going on and seems to be the way that the owner can rid himself of the property and develop the acreage.
Maybe the citizens of Glen Cove should demand the resignation of the entire, do-nothing commission."
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#8 Jun 21, 2006
Hellllooooooo......is anyone out there? Or are you all dead?!
Wally

Hempstead, NY

#9 Jun 21, 2006
They should have bus tours to many of these grand Gold Coast estates with a knowledable tour guide. They would be very interesting. People would pay and come from all over the world to see the exceptional craftmenship and rich history of Long Island. Some of the proceeds would help with the upkeep such as the Woolworth estate.
Panda doll

Garfield, NJ

#10 Jun 22, 2006
The Woolworth Estate is NOT one of ours. It is privately owned, but some of the other ones are ours (NASSAU COUNTY).

I've been trying to get someone to do something like that for 2 years......there are all these hoops to jump through to get anything done. If people really care about these places, they need to make it known to those that are in control of them. WRITE A LETTER or something. The squeaky gear gets the grease.
Tom McCallie

United States

#11 Jul 3, 2006
Who owns the Woolworth Mansion? How can I contact him?
Thanks
Please answer me at [email protected]
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#12 Jul 5, 2006
Martin Carey owns Winfeld. Don't know how you could contact him. Try a GOOGLE SEARCH>
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#13 Jul 5, 2006
Through the frustration of searching for a "Group" that is involved in preserving, saving & protecting the History of Nassau County, I've discovered NOTHING! There is nothing in place to do anything about this problem. Doesn't anyone care??? Geeeez, I can't do it alone. WE can't do anything about it.

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME? I'm screaming.......WE NEED HELP!
If we are ever going to try to save any part of what used to be a wonderful area to live..... It has to do with HISTORIC places. If you rip them out, tear them down, treat them like "crap", there will be NOTHING!

Once this stuff is gone.....it's gone FOREVER!
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#15 Jul 14, 2006
Isn't Bayville & Center Island part of the Gold Coast?
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#16 Jul 15, 2006
History is disappearing before our very eyes, bacause no one is doing enough!!! Save these houses NOW!!! Write a letter, tell a friend, make a phone call. The people that are in control of this situation need to know that the citizens care. The cause needs many voices. Dont let American History get lost in the stupidity of politics!!!!!
Chargerkeith

Virginia Beach, VA

#17 Aug 30, 2006
Have you heard of Monica Randall? She is afilm location agent ased in Oyster Bay, and also an author. She lived in winfield in the 70's for a period of time and has had interactions with the property since the 50's. Her website is monicarandall.com As someone who wrote an entire book on her experiences at Winfield she may be someone with the proper connections and knowledge of a way to get through to the appropriate authorities on forcing restoration of the property. Being located in San Diego, CA myself, and not being of the financial backing necessary to save this architectural treasure of a home, feel somewhat like my hands are tied on the matter. However, contacting her may be more effective, as she does have the mansion listed as an availale location for filming on her website, I would assume she has a means of contacting the owner. Keep fighting!!!!
Panda doll

Garfield, NJ

#18 Sep 3, 2006
Yes, coincidentally, I am friends with Monica. We have NO WAY of convincing anyone to do anything about any of the properties. The parties that need to be interested are not interested in the way you would think they should be..............
Pat

Holtsville, NY

#19 Sep 5, 2006
Get rid of the house and split the property for New housing. SIMPLE! There's no history worth saving here. lets get more taxpayers in her so we could pay less.
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#20 Sep 5, 2006
Well...that's a crappy attitude. There is quite a bit of HISTORY to be saved..........

There is plenty of housing around., most of it sits unsold!!!

We should get the crappy affordable housing OUT of HERE!!!!! Think of another way to lower taxes.........
BLH

United States

#21 Sep 11, 2006
Read the latest post's on the Long Island Gold Coast site about Winfield Hall. Can anyone help??????
Pandadoll

Garfield, NJ

#22 Sep 11, 2006
I was trying to....I asked Monica about it. I don't know what we could do. I thought that the organizations for Historic Preservation would WANT to do something......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 15 hr Bruser 8,315
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) 17 hr James 20
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Sun Bruser 2,650
News Man sets himself on fire in Oceanside Jul 22 Sylvester J Superman 1
Music in the park Jul 22 Max2099 1
News Cops: Massapequa builder bilks customer out of ... (Nov '07) Jul 22 nancys 147
News Fire breaks out at Carle Place manufacturer, of... Jul 21 John Smith 1

Hicksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hicksville Mortgages