Criminal probe into school where todd...

Criminal probe into school where toddler died

There are 21 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 21, 2009, titled Criminal probe into school where toddler died. In it, Newsday reports that:

BY ANN GIVENS AND SUMATHI REDDY; Staff writers Sophia Chang and Michael Amon contributed to this story.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rich

Lakeland, FL

#1 Mar 21, 2009
This was a really tragic accident and I feel for the Raspanti family and for the Formica family and their staff. This article is written to incite people into thinking that the school is an illegal operation etc. There was no need for this to be in the paper. Also, it's another way for the politicans to grand stand.
denMan

Plainview, NY

#2 Mar 21, 2009
Perhaps this panic striken moment was too overwhelming for the Basic Life Support Team. Hopefully, this may impliment to bring back the trained RN to the staff on hand.
Carousel Mom

Selden, NY

#3 Mar 21, 2009
Thank you Rich. In the nearly five years my son has been attending programs there, we have known Carousel to be nothing but an excellent, well-run school and camp staffed by caring and professional staffers. As I've told other parents over the years, I trust the Carousel staff with my child's life and know that they do their utmost to protext all the children in their care. In spite of the horrible accident that took place Tuesday and resulted in Olivia's death, we support Carousel and will continue to send our child there for afterschool programs and camp.
junebug

Edison, NJ

#4 Mar 21, 2009
IT WAS NOT OPERATING LEGALLY AND WHY SHOULDN'T IT BE REPORTED. TODDLERS SHOULD NOT BE EATING WHOLE CARROTS AND MORE...
TRULY A NIGHTMARE FOR THIS FAMILY.
PEOPLE SPEND MORE TIME CHECKING OUT NEW CARS AT DEALERSHIPS, THAN CHECKING THE CREDENTIALS OF A FACILITY THAT'S GOING TO 'CARE' FOR THEIR CHILD.
IT ALWAYS TAKES A TRAGEDY...
very sad

Gloucester, VA

#5 Mar 21, 2009
nothing will bring back this child.. the workers did their best.. it was an accident
True I know

Hauppauge, NY

#6 Mar 21, 2009
The workers did NOT do there best. When the careworker called 911,she stated no lights and sirens as it would scare the other kids,she made it seem like a non-emergency. Only when the 1st officer responded did he know what a emergency it really was and requested more units right away. If you ask me she contributed to the death.If you found out she said this to the 911 operator and this was your child how would you feel.They did not do what they were supposed to do,by caring for this child before and during the emergency.They should be charged, and Believe me this is true and I hope someone looks into why they said this to the operator.
concerned parent

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Mar 21, 2009
True I know wrote:
The workers did NOT do there best. When the careworker called 911,she stated no lights and sirens as it would scare the other kids,she made it seem like a non-emergency. Only when the 1st officer responded did he know what a emergency it really was and requested more units right away. If you ask me she contributed to the death.If you found out she said this to the 911 operator and this was your child how would you feel.They did not do what they were supposed to do,by caring for this child before and during the emergency.They should be charged, and Believe me this is true and I hope someone looks into why they said this to the operator.
Where did you hear this?
fwiw

Florence, KS

#8 Mar 21, 2009
Feeding a kid a carrot is a crime. God help this country.
SLAP CHOP

Matthews, NC

#9 Mar 21, 2009
True I know wrote:
The workers did NOT do there best. When the care worker called 911,she stated no lights and sirens as it would scare the other kids,she made it seem like a non-emergency. Only when the 1st officer responded did he know what a emergency it really was and requested more units right away. If you ask me she contributed to the death.If you found out she said this to the 911 operator and this was your child how would you feel.They did not do what they were supposed to do,by caring for this child before and during the emergency.They should be charged, and Believe me this is true and I hope someone looks into why they said this to the operator.
This sounds completely bogus to me. Who hear thinks that a care worker dictates how emergency vehicles respond to anyone choking? Maybe the care worker only stated that the child was ill, but then the 911 operator would be asking basic follow up questions to ascertain the degree of seriousness of the child's condition. The truth will come out when they review the 911 tapes and only then could someone's actions or the school be accused of negligence.
junebug

Edison, NJ

#10 Mar 21, 2009
very sad wrote:
nothing will bring back this child.. the workers did their best.. it was an accident
Only an 'accident' if you're not the parent(s).
Everything that's in a child's reach ultimately goes into their mouths. Everything should be on shelves when there's toddlers around..EVERYTHING.
Yes, this was not malicious or on purpose or pre meditated...but someone's child is dead just the same.

I still say-you need to see State and County credentials before you drop your child off for the day. There isn't anything more important then your children.
Oh no

Bethpage, NY

#11 Mar 21, 2009
First of all saying that the person who called 911 contributed to the death of this child is crazy!!!! She probably did what she was told to do.
Jill

Hartsdale, NY

#12 Mar 21, 2009
This is COMPLETELY UNFAIR!! Say what you want about the IDIOT that ruined this school's reputation for allowing children that he didn't have a license for but DON'T blame the girl just answering the phone. I happen to know for a FACT that she was told to call 911 and have no sirens to not scare the other CHILDREN there. I know that people try to read more into this due to the scandal of the licensing but if you're told in an emergency by your supervisor to do it you do. FYI- She also said "PLEASE HURRY A CHILD IS CHOKING!!", but that isn't scentsational so don't mention that! Olivia's death is a TERRIBLE tragedy but there is a classroom above that main entrance and it was only said to not have those children scared and hopefully have them NOT look out the window of an injured child. Use your head! ALL of their staff truly love each and everyone of those children and NEVER would want them harmed. This is a tragic accident made into a scandal due to not having the proper license. My prayers are with this family and the staff at Carousel.
Billy

Hartsdale, NY

#13 Mar 21, 2009
SLAP CHOP wrote:
<quoted text>This sounds completely bogus to me. Who hear thinks that a care worker dictates how emergency vehicles respond to anyone choking? Maybe the care worker only stated that the child was ill, but then the 911 operator would be asking basic follow up questions to ascertain the degree of seriousness of the child's condition. The truth will come out when they review the 911 tapes and only then could someone's actions or the school be accused of negligence.
They DID use their sirens too! What do you think they would say "Oh, not that important let's stop for coffee on the way! Be real!"
SLAP CHOP

Matthews, NC

#14 Mar 21, 2009
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>
They DID use their sirens too! What do you think they would say "Oh, not that important let's stop for coffee on the way! Be real!"
Billy, please reread my post and use reading comprehension this time, good luck.
Billy

Hartsdale, NY

#15 Mar 21, 2009
SLAP CHOP wrote:
<quoted text>Billy, please reread my post and use reading comprehension this time, good luck.
Uhhh, I was AGREEING with you and DISAGREEING with the original post. Maybe you need a little help with the comprehension....maybe the word sarcasm???
SLAP CHOP

Matthews, NC

#16 Mar 21, 2009
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhh, I was AGREEING with you and DISAGREEING with the original post. Maybe you need a little help with the comprehension....maybe the word sarcasm???
Yea OK sure. You forgot the satire.
Get It Straight

Norwalk, CT

#17 Mar 21, 2009
Does anyone know if any of the staff there were trained in CPR and the Heimlich? Perhaps they could have saved the child before the ambulance got there! In my facility, we get trained every year.
Licensing is required for certain schools. If you are running an extended or full day program you must be licensed by the state. They come to inspect the school, see that the staff are fingerprinted, trained and get professional development hours every year. The health dept comes to inspect as well.
The staff should have known that it is required to store their personal bags where children cannot reach them. This child who choked on a carrot could have just as easily taken medication from that person's handbag!
I believe this school should be shutdown until they get licensed, if they will even be allowed to after this incident! In spite of some of you saying that it was a great school, in spite of teachers being caring and good at their jobs, none of them were thinking about the safety of the children, when 2 year olds were allowed to be there without the requisite licensing.
lol

United States

#18 Mar 21, 2009
very sad wrote:
Accident? Folks won't be satisfied till every kid is sealed in a godam bubble!
True I know

Hauppauge, NY

#19 Mar 22, 2009
Jill wrote:
This is COMPLETELY UNFAIR!! Say what you want about the IDIOT that ruined this school's reputation for allowing children that he didn't have a license for but DON'T blame the girl just answering the phone. I happen to know for a FACT that she was told to call 911 and have no sirens to not scare the other CHILDREN there. I know that people try to read more into this due to the scandal of the licensing but if you're told in an emergency by your supervisor to do it you do. FYI- She also said "PLEASE HURRY A CHILD IS CHOKING!!", but that isn't scentsational so don't mention that! Olivia's death is a TERRIBLE tragedy but there is a classroom above that main entrance and it was only said to not have those children scared and hopefully have them NOT look out the window of an injured child. Use your head! ALL of their staff truly love each and everyone of those children and NEVER would want them harmed. This is a tragic accident made into a scandal due to not having the proper license. My prayers are with this family and the staff at Carousel.
All I am saying is WHO CARES ABOUT THE OTHER CHILDREN HEASRING THE SIRENS AND GETTING SCARED for god's sake a child was choking and someone on there staff thought it was more important to tel 911 NOT to have Police Officers put there lights and sirens on to this call making it seem like it was not a emergency. If this was my kid I would be screaming for help and would want the Police there right away. They outright screwed up,how can you say otherwise. This is true because i heard the call come out,and i feel if the Police were giving the right info on the severity of the emergency that this WOULD of been advoided. It is a fact and on record.You can never bring this poor child back ,but believe me,the Police DO NOT RESPOND TO EVERY CALL LIGHTS AND SIRENS especially when THEY ARE TOLD BY A 911 supervisor a caller requested this making it seem the child was okay and it was not a emergency and the child was okay. How can you think this is OK. How do you think the Police Officer feels after finding out that it was a HUGE emergency and because of you caring more about how other children about hearing some sirens instead of giving this little child a simple hemlich manuver they are taught this child would be alive today. It kills me to think we could of saved her but because of the care takers actions we never got the chance, RIP
junebug

Edison, NJ

#20 Mar 22, 2009
The funeral already happened. The school was not licensed to care for three year olds. It has been shut down-this is certainly not the end of it...it should be the end of this Topix. woulda, coulda, shoulda-doesn't help or change a thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hicksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Fri Oldfart 54
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) May 24 Sydney 66
US Hells angels war on American women and child... (Feb '10) May 24 Hand of God 307
News Man charged with robbing four banks (Jan '08) May 22 Steveyjerkyoffey 86
News Starbucks, GoHealth sign leases at Greybarn Ami... (Jul '16) May 22 Concerned 2
New Political Bumper Sticker May 20 John Holmes 1
Sean the phony pusillanimous pip squeak on radio May 20 Sean Sycophant 3

Hicksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hicksville Mortgages