Foreclosed breeder gets more time

Foreclosed breeder gets more time

There are 29 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Nov 19, 2008, titled Foreclosed breeder gets more time. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A Barry County district court judge gave John Jones until December 1 to leave his foreclosed home and find a new home for the dozens of Jack Russell terriers he's bred.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
trouble shooter

Ada, MI

#1 Nov 19, 2008
Sorry 75 and 85 dogs is a puppy mill. I have a friend who bought a dog from a kennel like this, the dog had seizures, was untrainable, got car sick and had to be put down. Breeders like these should be put down.

Since: Jul 08

Greeley, CO

#2 Nov 19, 2008
Poor Dogs :(
Emily Blank

United States

#3 Nov 19, 2008
The 85 dogs that were euthanized in 2007 were not all unfit for adoption. John Jones is right to want to try to find his own animal group.

“Listen to the Truth, Man.”

Since: Apr 08

Comstock Park

#4 Nov 19, 2008
I'll sincerely take one of the puppies.

Email me at [email protected]

Wild Rose 01

Since: Feb 08

United States

#5 Nov 19, 2008
I feel sorry for him & I dont. Losing your home & getting divorced is a double whammy & them losing your business on top of this...good grief. For the so many dogs he had, now thats just a puppy mill. I really hope that something good can come from this big mess & that the dogs can find secure & happy homes. I know how it feels to lose a home. Hard to replace.
ASHLEY

Kansas City, MO

#6 Nov 19, 2008
jack russels are untrainable to begin with. I own one. You can't tell me all of those dogs were unadoptable from the first time. I don't think the county wanted to try hard enough to place these animals and euthonizing them was the quickest and easiest solution. Shame on the county and shame on this man for putting these helpless animals in this situation.

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

#7 Nov 19, 2008
trouble shooter wrote:
Sorry 75 and 85 dogs is a puppy mill. I have a friend who bought a dog from a kennel like this, the dog had seizures, was untrainable, got car sick and had to be put down. Breeders like these should be put down.
I agree that this place should be shut down & they should never be allowed to have any animals again EVER!

But alot of dogs(mine included) have seizures & are treated with meds which is not expensive $7.00 a month.
No excuse to put a dog down

Heck I get car sick on long rides. No excuse to put a dog down again.

As far as being untrainable that is the owners fault it takes some dogs longer to get it & the owners were either newbie dog owners or lazy.
rvs

United States

#8 Nov 19, 2008
I got my Jack Russell from him!! Would buy another one in a minute. I don't think he is a puppy mill--I think his business just got out of hand. He actually cared about these dogs! He just should have stopped breeding for a while and cut back, However my dog is great. Came with all the info I needed on him also. I would recommend his dogs actually. Hopefully he can find them homes. If I did not have a dog already--I would go get one.
Lil-Chopper

Jackson, MI

#9 Nov 19, 2008
Dont' judge until you've been to the kennel first hand. I've gotten two of his dogs in 2002 & another last month. The kennels are all clean, didn't have dogs and pups running around with poo all over them, they are up to date on shots. I go by more farms with 100% stinch in the air. And each time I've been to Mr Jones to get pups, it's always clean. He has names for just about all his dogs also. I believe he cares more than Animal Control, of Barry Cnty,each dog myself & my X have gotten from MR Jones has a awesome demeanor. All they want to do is snuggle, cuddle & play. Unless your familiar with the breed, Jack's can be nervous & un-sure of un-familiar people they've never seen before, & when Barry Cnty says they will do the so called tolerance test? PLEASE...I wonder how long this tolerance test last and the enviroment of the shelter when they were testing the last 85? That didn't pass? And for the car sick...tons of dogs&cats get car sick just as ton of humans!!As for the untrainable? Remeber the dogs can only be as smart as the owner!! BAHAHA!! Which if you get a dog from a responsible breeder and this happens, the breeder will take that pup back if they would have contact them & MR Jones has this policy. Didnt' your friend notice anything wrong with the pup when she was at this place picking it out? There are simple test you can do to see the personality of a dog before you take it home. I've raised two litters of AKC Labs & two litters of Jack Russell, which my pups were all raised inside my home and each pup would be socialized with tons of people on a daily basis.

Wild Rose 01

Since: Feb 08

United States

#10 Nov 19, 2008
ASHLEY wrote:
jack russels are untrainable to begin with. I own one. You can't tell me all of those dogs were unadoptable from the first time. I don't think the county wanted to try hard enough to place these animals and euthonizing them was the quickest and easiest solution. Shame on the county and shame on this man for putting these helpless animals in this situation.
Totally agree here! I would NEVER own one. Are they injected with sugar before you buy them??..lol.
IRONY

Holland, MI

#11 Nov 19, 2008
When I opened this story there was a advertisment on the right for some "Kennel" service.
Great for the economy...lets shut down yet another business..no matter how big or small..hey maybey with the money the state gets off the taxpayers with this guy in jail (if he is) we can build more much needed turtle fences..(100% sarcasm)
troubleshooter

Ada, MI

#12 Nov 19, 2008
outdoors lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that this place should be shut down & they should never be allowed to have any animals again EVER!
But alot of dogs(mine included) have seizures & are treated with meds which is not expensive $7.00 a month.
No excuse to put a dog down
Heck I get car sick on long rides. No excuse to put a dog down again.
As far as being untrainable that is the owners fault it takes some dogs longer to get it & the owners were either newbie dog owners or lazy.
I should have explained better, my friend keep this dog and doctored it, had someone come to the house to groom, he gave this dog a good home for years, it was only after the seizures became so severe and other medical problems set in that he had to put the dog down but it was sad to see the pain and free in the dog after a seizure.

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

#13 Nov 19, 2008
troubleshooter wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have explained better, my friend keep this dog and doctored it, had someone come to the house to groom, he gave this dog a good home for years, it was only after the seizures became so severe and other medical problems set in that he had to put the dog down but it was sad to see the pain and free in the dog after a seizure.
understandable there is no excuse to let an animal suffer. I'm glad he had a good home with an owner who cared enough to not allow him to suffer.
Jamie Walker

United States

#14 Nov 19, 2008
This facility is a puppy mill. The numbers of dogs is actually over 200 if you go through the buildings and house and count. I've been there and did just that.

However, Barry County Animal Control will not work with most rescues and they have a very high kill rate. Of the 85 dogs confiscated before, they euthanized them immediately - within the hour of getting them - with no assessment of the animals...all the while claiming they were unsocialized - with no professional assessments done on even a single animal. That is their track record and that is the truth. You need to watch them or they'll do it again!
jerry

United States

#15 Nov 19, 2008
We also bought a Jack from John and I love him to death, he is one of the funnest dogs I have ever owned. People that don't know what they are getting with a Jack Russell or Parsons Russell should not even comment, let alone get one, injected with sugar??? I do agree that John cares for all of his animals but my wife and I both reached out to shelters we have adopted other dogs from and they had contacted him about taking some of the dogs and he would not give them away, he wanted to sell them. Hopefully he sees now that their lives are more important than his money as he should have never had that many dogs to begin with. If there is anyone who can take home one of these unbelievable and loving animals or can find a shelter to help adopt them, please help before it's too late.
rvs

United States

#16 Nov 19, 2008
Yes I agree--he does need to give them away. Forget making a profit if he cares as I think he does. Or the county will get them. Hopefully Barry county don't get them--as it will be the end for them. Jack Russel's are a hard breed to own as has been said.
I do agree when I was there--lots of dogs and all clean. All kennels were clean and he did have names for all the dogs. Oh well--hopefully all turns out well for these dogs. There are alot more places just like this out there!!
loves to read

Grandville, MI

#17 Nov 19, 2008
I want one!!!! How much?? And Where can I pick it up?

Since: Jul 08

Holland, MI

#18 Nov 19, 2008
rvs wrote:
I got my Jack Russell from him!! Would buy another one in a minute. I don't think he is a puppy mill--I think his business just got out of hand.
Selling dogs as a business makes it a "puppy mill". I own two AKC registered dogs. Both of which came from well known, well respected "breeders". Neither of which made a business out of selling dogs. Once this guy exceeded 10 dogs that he couldn't place, why did he continue to breed more puppies? Answer, because it was a puppy mill.
I feel very sorry for the dogs involved.
dogmom-greenvill e

Mazomanie, WI

#19 Nov 19, 2008
How can one person provide even adequate care, grooming, and properly socialize that many dogs? And yes, even short-coated dogs need their coats brushed and toe nails clipped regularly. Can you tell me he is also screening each and every one of them for any diseases they might carry and tracking the bloodlines? Are they getting proper prenatal care when bred? How can he carefully select the best temperaments to breed to? Come on, he would need a full time staff to handle that many dogs responsibly. He doesn’t have to be an evil man to run a puppy mill. And he doesn’t have to be raking in the cash to be running a puppy mill. He could be one termed as a hoarder. His love of animals has gotten out of control. He is NOT an ethical breeder. I’m not saying these dogs should be euthanized, I think they should be placed in a no-kill rescue. But finding foster homes for this many………it’s a tough call.
dogmom-greenvill e

Mazomanie, WI

#20 Nov 19, 2008
One more thing, unless there are champion blood lines, if you do it right there is very little money to made by breeding dogs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hickory Corners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hardware store Sun MCSM 1
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug 22 Fritz the cat 1
innocent man serving life without parole for a ... (Mar '10) Aug 6 Rockin 67
Child Support Fraud (Dec '07) Jul '16 Carrie 46
Tresa Vaughn Jul '16 Boytoy 3
who is tommy Vasquez Jun '16 fishinwithjane 2
iron order Jun '16 orderisherenow 1

Hickory Corners Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance