Lawn cutter accused of stealing $270,000

A lawn care worker, accused of taking more than a quarter-million dollars from an elderly couple over a two-year period, told 24 Hour News 8 it was a difficult time in his life. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
DJL

Holland, MI

#1 Jun 25, 2008
How can it be a difficult time in your life when you clear 135,000 per year. I would like to have such a difficult time. The problem is, now we as taxpayers are going to be supporting him for several years.
Maybe he can take care of the prison lawn.
froggy log

Hudsonville, MI

#2 Jun 25, 2008
Just awful, Stealing that much money from an old couple.

Since: Oct 07

Byron Center, MI

#3 Jun 25, 2008
Not too smart of a guy, writing the checks to himself!
GR Res

Fraser, MI

#4 Jun 25, 2008
What a total dirtbag. That is really low. Those people's lives may be ruined now, all for greed. I suppose he will have plenty of time to think about it, but no way to repay them. I feel so bad for them.
TOM

Grandville, MI

#5 Jun 25, 2008
WHAT A THIEVE HE SHOULD BE ASHAME OF HIM SELF TAKING MONEY FROM ELDERLY FOLKS
Bryan

United States

#6 Jun 25, 2008
what a snake lock him and his whole family up i am sure they knew where he was getting the money, my question if these where senior citizens why didnt any of the bank employees figure that they where spending to much money and where was the immediate family. while this is no excuse this mr. mason needs to be locked up and throw away the key.
hollander

United States

#7 Jun 25, 2008
This kind of thing really does make you sick! He deserves some real time to think about his actions.
Hellfire

United States

#8 Jun 25, 2008
I suspect someone had a controlled substance problem. I bet he doesn't have a penny to give back.
Jerry

Wayland, MI

#9 Jun 25, 2008
I hope he did a nice job on the lawn. He probably used their equipment too.
Donald

Battle Creek, MI

#10 Jun 25, 2008
I'm sorry, having "a difficult time in your life" isn't an excuse to scam an innocent elderly couple out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's the best explanation he could come up with???

How can life be so "difficult" when you're scam-artist living such a lavish lifestyle off OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!!! Give me a break.
w allen

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Jun 25, 2008
worst part is ,,with that type of people they probably would have helped him out if only he had asked..maybe not to the tune of a Q mil..but you know what i mean.
Bill

Battle Creek, MI

#12 Jun 25, 2008
Went to High School with Rob never in a million years thouhgt that he would do that. People do crazy things in life for whatever reasons. Not saying this is right by all means. But not knowing Rob and judging him is wrong as well. He admitted that he did the crime, did not run, lie, accuse someone else of it. Rob will pay for what he did, but but GOD said forgive. It is hard these days to but Dang it America is based on IN GOD WE TRUST. Then trust in GOD to do the right thing for Rob.
cmg

Sturgis, MI

#13 Jun 25, 2008
LOOSER~
DJL

Holland, MI

#14 Jun 25, 2008
Bill wrote:
Went to High School with Rob never in a million years thouhgt that he would do that. People do crazy things in life for whatever reasons. Not saying this is right by all means. But not knowing Rob and judging him is wrong as well. He admitted that he did the crime, did not run, lie, accuse someone else of it. Rob will pay for what he did, but but GOD said forgive. It is hard these days to but Dang it America is based on IN GOD WE TRUST. Then trust in GOD to do the right thing for Rob.
God also said "go and sin no more". I think two years gave him plenty of time to stop and confess.
He will be judged in a court of law.
All we are doing is responding to the story.
Puzzled

Muskegon, MI

#15 Jun 25, 2008
What a dipwad! Well, I'm sure he'll soon be going through another "difficult time in his life" in his new housing environment. With all of his landscaping skill, maybe he can pick rocks out of the prison yard!

The whole story is odd. If he'd been stealing from their account since fall of 2006, why did it take so long to discover that such large amounts of money were disappearing? Don't people balance their checkbooks every month or reconcile their accounts online? How could this happen? It said the victims are elderly, so why wasn't anybody looking out for them if they were incapable of keeping track of their own affairs? And what was wrong with the bank? Seriously? At my local bank where everybody knows me by name, if there's a new teller subbing or something, they always ask for my ID and verify that I have an account with them.
Rick

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Jun 25, 2008
How low can you go! stealing from the elderly whether they are poor or rich is about as low as you can go. 60 years in prison or better yet fry the creep! it's what he deserves.
Jeff Debus

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Jun 25, 2008
What I like to see outta this Man.. DO WORK SON!
Rapper

United States

#18 Jun 25, 2008
Bill wrote:
What a retarded post. Are you retarded?
Gail in Wyoming

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Jun 26, 2008
What a creep! Scamming an old couple is soooooo low. Can any of you imagine having a tough time of it making that much money a year?
Bill

United States

#21 Jun 26, 2008
Like I said I Don't agree with what he did but he is human. I feel sorry for the old couple.Maybe the tough time was not being broke but having other issues.Money is the root of all evil, just because he stole all that money does not mean he was happy. All I am saying is just think your family or friends could have did something crazy like this. EYE for EYE seems fair, frying him a little extreme. And for Rapper if I was retared I could of left a comment like you with know thought at all to seeing two sides of every story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hickory Corners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
innocent man serving life without parole for a ... (Mar '10) 19 hr nick 32
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Sep 22 JAH 170
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) Sep 22 gamy 97
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Sep 21 Eldorado 129
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Sep 2 just the tip 303
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482
lights Jul '14 noisy 1

Hickory Corners Jobs

Hickory Corners People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hickory Corners News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hickory Corners

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]