Howard Lee "Duke" Goff

Howard Lee "Duke" Goff

There are 15 comments on the Murfreesboro Post story from Oct 22, 2008, titled Howard Lee "Duke" Goff. In it, Murfreesboro Post reports that:

Howard Lee "Duke" Goff, age 66, of Northglen, Colorado died October 20, 2008 in Northglen, Colorado.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Murfreesboro Post.

JIM GOFF

AOL

#1 Nov 26, 2008
dUKE gOFF WAS MY BROTHER ,HE WAS BORN IN HICKMAN AS WAS I, HE BECAME A GREAT GUITAR PLAYER AND SONG WRITER ,HE HAD SONGS RECORDED BY TAMMY WYNETTE,RUN WOMAN RUN WAS A BIG HIT IN 1970,TAMMY AND GEORGE jONESRECORDED 2 OF HIS SONGS ,HE LEFT GUITAR AND TOOK UP BASS ,HE WAS HIRED BY WAYLON JENNING HE PLAYED ON MOST OF WAYLONS HITS ,HE PASSED AWAY IN CO;ORADO I had him buried here in murfreesboro tn . about 22 miles from nashville he was 66 years old . JIM GOFF

Since: Aug 08

United States

#2 Dec 1, 2008
Jim, so sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. Please tell me more about your family history. I may know some of them.

Since: Aug 08

United States

#3 Dec 1, 2008
Born in Hickman wrote:
Jim, so sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. Please tell me more about your family history. I may know some of them.
I just remembered some Goffs..... Virginia, Lee, Cleto (I don't know if that was his real name or not). Is this the same family? Again, sorry for your loss.
JIM GOFF

AOL

#4 Dec 11, 2008
Born in Hickman wrote:
Jim, so sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. Please tell me more about your family history. I may know some of them.
yes lee goff virginiaand cleto are related to us ,lee was my uncle,we left hickman at a very young age and moved to saint louis ,we both learned to play guitarand played in various bands around st louis,duke moved to nashville after tammy wynette recorded run woman run,waylon heard him on bass,and hired him ,he is on most of waylons hits ,i am also a songwriter in nashville ,I have songs recorded by the allman brothers ,brothers of the road from the album of the same name ,and Nancy on the dreams album,also songs by tommy Jenning and ronnie phophet and others.
Margaret Penn

AOL

#5 Jan 27, 2009
Jim, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Duke. I knew he was in Colorado...but have been looking for you for about 25 years or more. Please email me [email protected]
JIM GOFF wrote:
<quoted text>yes lee goff virginiaand cleto are related to us ,lee was my uncle,we left hickman at a very young age and moved to saint louis ,we both learned to play guitarand played in various bands around st louis,duke moved to nashville after tammy wynette recorded run woman run,waylon heard him on bass,and hired him ,he is on most of waylons hits ,i am also a songwriter in nashville ,I have songs recorded by the allman brothers ,brothers of the road from the album of the same name ,and Nancy on the dreams album,also songs by tommy Jenning and ronnie phophet and others.
Margaret Penn

AOL

#6 Jan 27, 2009
Jim, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Duke. I knew he was in Colorado...but have been looking for you for about 25 years or more. Please email me [email protected]
loretta

United States

#7 Sep 25, 2009
I was so very sorry to here about duke. I cared for duke in colorado when he was first admitted to Alpine in Northglenn and also at Kindred for about eight years altogether we became very good friends. I also got to know his friend Merideth.It really is A small world one of the reasons we hit it off was because I am originally from alton, Illinois, that seemed to give us some thing in common. Sorry I was not there when he passed. I left Colorado in March of 2007. Again sorry to here of his passing, he was a good person and good friend.
Jake Meador

Saint Louis, MO

#8 May 24, 2012
I am the Grandson of Mary Richardson.
I have herd countless story's about Duke, I sadly never got to meet Him. I herd life was hard and there wasn't much in life. I'm sure we all know of the past. I've been playing music all my life and I was always told I get it from my grandmothers side. Like Duke. It brings a state of sarrow that I never got to meet him. But in a way even though I never met Him. Hearing of his achievement's and his talents. I looked up to him. In a sense. To push how I feel about music and pursuing it. He'll be missed.
Lovebug96

Fort Worth, TX

#10 Apr 18, 2015
JIM GOFF wrote:
dUKE gOFF WAS MY BROTHER ,HE WAS BORN IN HICKMAN AS WAS I, HE BECAME A GREAT GUITAR PLAYER AND SONG WRITER ,HE HAD SONGS RECORDED BY TAMMY WYNETTE,RUN WOMAN RUN WAS A BIG HIT IN 1970,TAMMY AND GEORGE jONESRECORDED 2 OF HIS SONGS ,HE LEFT GUITAR AND TOOK UP BASS ,HE WAS HIRED BY WAYLON JENNING HE PLAYED ON MOST OF WAYLONS HITS ,HE PASSED AWAY IN CO;ORADO I had him buried here in murfreesboro tn . about 22 miles from nashville he was 66 years old . JIM GOFF
I took care of Duke in Colorado in early 2000s. Was a definite pleasure to know him. Recently found out about his passing. May he RIP
Gloria

Arvada, CO

#11 Apr 18, 2015
I used to cut Duke's hair at Alpine in Thornton. He was a friend of mine. I really enjoyed talking to him as he was quite a character. My sister and I went to see him when he moved to Northglenn. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Bryan Bell

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 Aug 24, 2015
Jim, sorry to learn of your brother's passing. He was a great guitar player. I know him when I was kid in the late 70's / early 80s in E. St. Louis, Illinois. He use to play in a bar there on occasion. I would beg my dad to let me go listen. He seemed like a nice guy from what I can remember.
Looking 77

Springfield, IL

#13 Sep 1, 2015
Born in Hickman wrote:
<quoted text>
I just remembered some Goffs..... Virginia, Lee, Cleto (I don't know if that was his real name or not). Is this the same family? Again, sorry for your loss.
Hi jim I was wondering if you still get on here?
Mary

Memphis, TN

#14 Sep 10, 2015
I never meet Duke but I have daughter with his son Bobby.
Bobby D

Longmont, CO

#15 Feb 4, 2016
I met Duke Goff , in 1991 , he had lost three fingers on his left hand , in a machine shop accident. Unable to play anymore , he sold me his fender Jazz Bass . Best bass I ever saw . He told me , that he got it from Tommy Jennings , Waylon's brother. Bobby D
Laurie

Belleville, IL

#16 Jul 17, 2016
I met Duke in Ofallon Illinois, he became a friend to my father, use to go up to Poor ol Bobs and listen to them jam. My dad told me duke used to play with Waylon and Willy but I always thought he (my dad) was pulling my leg. Duke was a very nice man and I loved listening to them play.
Laurie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hickman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot Guy that works in Fulton was mart meat dept. (May '15) Mon Chiccy 17
Walton boys Aug 21 Former Hickman girl 7
G & G's Aug 21 Stupid 9
Jason Henson above the state law Aug 21 Concerned 3
Tasha Bradshaw Aug 20 abc123 2
Mishandled funds at Fulton county jail! Aug 19 about that 2
Bubba Roberts Aug 17 Kayla 7

Hickman Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hickman Mortgages