First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jackie

Cordova, TN

#1 Feb 6, 2009
The Legend of Reelfoot Lake:

Long ago a tribe of the Chickasaw people was ruled by a mighty Chief. His heart was heavy, for his son had been born with a deformed foot. As the boy grew and developed, his walk was different from all the other boys. He walked and ran with a rolling motion so his people called him Kalopin, meaning Reelfoot.
When the old Chief died, Kalopin became Chief. He was sad and lonely for as yet none of the local maidens had stirred in him the thoughts of love. His father had often told him of the mighty tribes dwelling to the south, and of the wondrous beauty of the maidens who lived there. So, restless in spirit, when the robins arrived from the north, Kalopin wandered south in quest of a princess.
After many days of travel, he reached the land of the great Choctaw Chief, Copiah. Kalopin then beheld his dream princess, more beautiful than he had ever dared imagine, sitting close by the side of the Chief, her father. The maiden was called Laughing Eyes. After they had eaten and smoked the peace pipe, Kalopin asked for the old chief's daughter in marriage. Old Copiah was filled with wrath because he did not wish his daughter to marry a deformed chief and told Kalopin that his daughter could only be given in wedlock to a Choctaw chieftain.
The old chief called on the Great Spirit who spoke to Kalopin and said that a man must not steal his wife from any neighboring tribe, for such was tribal law and if he disobeyed and carried off the princess that He, the Great Spirit, would cause the earth to rock and the waters to swallow up his village and bury his people in a watery grave. Kalopin was frightened at this threat of dire punishment and sorrowfully returned home.
By the end of the next summer Kalopin decided to ignore the wrath of the Great Spirit and stole the forbidden maiden. He returned home to the great rejoicing of his people. Laughing Eyes was greatly frightened for she had heard what the Great Spirit had said to Kalopin and implored that he send her back to her father. Kalopin was so much in love that he was willing to defy everything.
In the midst of the festival and the marriage rites, the earth began to roll in rhythm with the kettledrums and tom-toms. The people tried to flee to the hills, but the rocking earth made them reel and stagger. Chief Kalopin and his bride reeled also and the Great Spirit stamped his foot in anger. The Father of Waters heard and, backing on his course, rushed over Kalopin's country.
Where the Great Spirit stamped the earth the Mississippi river formed a beautiful lake, in the bottom of which lay Kalopin, his bride and his people. Such is the legend of Reelfoot Lake.
Fran

Arcadia, LA

#2 Apr 7, 2009
I was a lifeguard at Reelfoot's Magnolia and Edgewater Beaches in '68 and '69. There were several UTM classes staying in the old Rain Tree studying snakes and other biological areas during those summer months. The Rain Tree was formerly a "house of ill repute." My boss, "Mo" Ellis Truett, hated for anyone to refer to the college lodgings as a "whore house." There were also several FCHS proms held at Reelfoot in the museum. Fond memories from crossing the state line down Highway 94/78. And what about the "Round House?" Care to add some of your tales of Lake County? Samburg? The Lake Club? Reds?
David

Monroe, LA

#3 Apr 7, 2009
Fran wrote:
I was a lifeguard at Reelfoot's Magnolia and Edgewater Beaches in '68 and '69. There were several UTM classes staying in the old Rain Tree studying snakes and other biological areas during those summer months. The Rain Tree was formerly a "house of ill repute." My boss, "Mo" Ellis Truett, hated for anyone to refer to the college lodgings as a "whore house." There were also several FCHS proms held at Reelfoot in the museum. Fond memories from crossing the state line down Highway 94/78. And what about the "Round House?" Care to add some of your tales of Lake County? Samburg? The Lake Club? Reds?
I can remember swimming at some "beach" on Reelfoot with a high platform diving board. Also Boyette's catfish and hush puppies. Our family had a reunion at a lodge there in 1980 or there abouts. Our old grade school principal and seventh and eighth teacher, Mrs Zuanita Phelps was there with us. We loved her so. She was Principal of Beelerton Elementary School in Hickman county.

As a young boy I was able to duck hunt and fish at Reelfoot. Later this month I will be there fishing for Crappie. Joining me will be the boy who grew up next door to us in Virginia. No longer a boy, he is the senior pilot of Northwest Airlines. He had to listen to me boasting about Relfoot as we fished together when he was a boy. Reelfoot Lake is one of my favorite places on this earth.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#4 Apr 7, 2009
I can just see those witchdoctors flying around and the remember the wonderful way the water smelled along with the Coppertone! Was the tallest tower at Edgewater? When I jumped off the top of it, it scared me so badly, I knew if I ever hit the water(seemed like a fell for 5 mins!) I would never do THAT again!
Fran

Arcadia, LA

#5 Apr 7, 2009
Edgewater wa the first beach right beside Highway 22. Magnolia was in the middle, and Sunkist (the local favorite) was on the far end of the washout. The washout was an overflow for the lake. The highest platform was at Magnolia. All beaches had slides and platform diving boards. Lots of myths have been spread concerning snakes in the lake. Actually when the herpetology classes from UTM were there, they had a hard time finding and tagging cottonmouths in Reelfoot; lots of water snakes but not the venomous ones. I love that lake. Boyettes and Lakeview are my favorite fish restaurants. Blue Bank is there also. The class of '66 had a reunion down there a few years back and invited the two classes before them and the two classes after them ('64-'68). It was a great time!! I saw lots of old friends. I'd love to do that again!!
David

Monroe, LA

#6 Apr 7, 2009
madee in tn wrote:
I can just see those witchdoctors flying around and the remember the wonderful way the water smelled along with the Coppertone! Was the tallest tower at Edgewater? When I jumped off the top of it, it scared me so badly, I knew if I ever hit the water(seemed like a fell for 5 mins!) I would never do THAT again!
Madee, are you talking about the Dragon Fly? We called them Snake Doctors.
Fran

Arcadia, LA

#7 Apr 7, 2009
I was wondering the same thing. Have any of you ever been on Reelfoot Lake in a boat? When you go through the ditches/pockets with the cypress tree branches hanging out over the water, it's dark, spooky, and snakes will fall out of the trees into your boat or flop into the water beside you!! It'll scare the dowaddly out of you to say the least. Madee, how did you come up with that name "Madee in tn?"
David

Monroe, LA

#8 Apr 7, 2009
Fran wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Have any of you ever been on Reelfoot Lake in a boat? When you go through the ditches/pockets with the cypress tree branches hanging out over the water, it's dark, spooky, and snakes will fall out of the trees into your boat or flop into the water beside you!! It'll scare the dowaddly out of you to say the least. Madee, how did you come up with that name "Madee in tn?"
Yes, and I have been frog gigging when the cottonmouths come to the light. Like a dummy I often did that at night without shoes, and it scared the dowaddly out of me.

Just what is dowaddly? I think I know, so you don't really have to answer.

United States

#9 Apr 8, 2009
Fran wrote:
I love Reelfoot, but it sure is scary at times, Fran, you are right! I remember fishing all day back in the 60's with with my dad, from before daylight til dark! Huge water spiders would come into the boat and wasps would lite on the bill of my cap! We'd go cool off under the shade of those cypress trees during the heat of the day and I kept my eyes out for those snakes! We saw them in the trees from time to time, but thank goodness, one never did fall into the boat!

I got my screen name in a long story, round about way....Do you remember Ma Jessie Jonakin? What a fine woman, and the grandmother of Joe Greer. I hoped my grandkids would call me Ma Dee. I was MyMama for awhile and then I just became Grandmother.:-) I am content with that, as it's music to my ears!

United States

#10 Apr 8, 2009
David wrote:
<quoted text>Madee, are you talking about the Dragon Fly? We called them Snake Doctors.
Yes! They are really very beautiful!
Rexall

Trenton, TN

#11 Apr 8, 2009
Fran wrote:
Edgewater wa the first beach right beside Highway 22. Magnolia was in the middle, and Sunkist (the local favorite) was on the far end of the washout. The washout was an overflow for the lake. The highest platform was at Magnolia. All beaches had slides and platform diving boards. Lots of myths have been spread concerning snakes in the lake. Actually when the herpetology classes from UTM were there, they had a hard time finding and tagging cottonmouths in Reelfoot; lots of water snakes but not the venomous ones. I love that lake. Boyettes and Lakeview are my favorite fish restaurants. Blue Bank is there also. The class of '66 had a reunion down there a few years back and invited the two classes before them and the two classes after them ('64-'68). It was a great time!! I saw lots of old friends. I'd love to do that again!!
Our family use to go to Blue Bank every Easter. We ordered all three meats and the trimmings. On the way home my husband would have to take over the driving because after that dinner my Dad was to sleepy to drive.

United States

#12 Apr 11, 2009
Blue Bank....We always went to Boyette's. Is that restaurant still there? Mmmm, I can just smell the aroma, now!
Fran

Monroe, LA

#13 Apr 11, 2009
madee in tn wrote:
Blue Bank....We always went to Boyette's. Is that restaurant still there? Mmmm, I can just smell the aroma, now!
Yes, Boyettes is still there. Daddy prefers Boyettes and Mother Lakeview. She usually gets to pick. They're both better than good!! The Yarbros will be celebrating their 61st anniversary on the 17th. That means a drive to the lake to eat. This will happen as soon as Daddy feels like making the trip. Get the fish, ham, chicken, and rolls ready!!

United States

#14 Apr 11, 2009
Fran! Please remember me to your parents and give them my congratulations!!! I know you all will celebrate in style at Reelfoot. Hope Mr. Drag gets to feeling better soon!

I thought you lived in Mt. Juliette, Tn!

United States

#15 Apr 11, 2009
We had terrible tornadoes in Murfreesboro. Please pray for all of them who lost their homes and loved ones. Many were injured, but the two fatalities, thus far, the mother and her 9wk old baby, just breaks my heart. They were in a car trying to go somewhere safe. My grandkids and daughter were fine.
Fran

Monroe, LA

#16 Apr 11, 2009
madee in tn wrote:
Fran! Please remember me to your parents and give them my congratulations!!! I know you all will celebrate in style at Reelfoot. Hope Mr. Drag gets to feeling better soon!
I thought you lived in Mt. Juliette, Tn!
We left MJ in '92 for E'town, KY, and have been in Paducah since '95. Thanks you for remembering my parents.

Since: Mar 09

Beardstown, IL

#17 Apr 11, 2009
Down at Reelfoot Lake a while back, say 85 or so years, if you just wanted to go out to get a few fish for supper, you rowed out and dropped a couple of carbide bombs. Not a lot of noise like dynamite and not so dangerous. You already had part of the makings and you could swipe the rest from you wife's cellar.

What you did was get a pint glass jar, put a certain amount of carbide in it (same carbide you use in your coon hunting headlight)poke a couple of holes in the jar lid and toss it overboard.

As it sank, pressure would be building up and soon the jar would explode, shocking a few fish in the neighborhood, who would folat up to the surface, stunned and undamaged. Go net the ones you wangted, the rest would ragain consciousness and swim away.

Beardstown, IL

#18 Apr 11, 2009
Looks like my tpyo checker is on the fitz.

Beardstown, IL

#19 Apr 11, 2009
'Nother true fish tale.
Up in the MS River close to Hickman 'bout 1935, non-commercial, non-sporting, fishermen who needed a couple of catfish for supper got in their "gas boat" and put-put'ed out to a good place they knew, scanned the horizon for Game Wardens (the govt was about to screw up a lot of happy families)and then get ready for fishing fun.

The gadget was a long piece of fairly thick copper wire with an ordinary old red brick tied to the end.

How you deployed it goes like this: Shut down your engine. Tie the brick to the wire. Ease the brick over the side and let our most of the wire. Fasten the end of the bare copper wire to a spark plug of your choice. Crank your engine. Move ahead slowly, so the brick is just off the bottom.

Catfish will be shocked and float to the surface. Scaly fish will not be shocked.
David

Monroe, LA

#20 Apr 11, 2009
Fran wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Boyettes is still there. Daddy prefers Boyettes and Mother Lakeview. She usually gets to pick. They're both better than good!! The Yarbros will be celebrating their 61st anniversary on the 17th. That means a drive to the lake to eat. This will happen as soon as Daddy feels like making the trip. Get the fish, ham, chicken, and rolls ready!!
Fran and all, not long after moving back to this area, after more than fifty years, I drove alone from North Mississippi to Hickman. I was unable to resist stopping off at Boyette's on my way, even though it was around 4:00 PM. The place was bustling and the old buckled wooden floors welcomed me back. It was if I had never left.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hickman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 20 hr johnnyboy 633
Gallagher Sun Reader 3
Jim Martin & The Fiscal Court are continously l... Sun taxpayer 4
Tim Langford (Sep '15) Sat Banjo 22
Bayou de Chien Dec 3 Walking Mall 2
Sgl Dec 3 Kathy 2
Hickman Courier Dec 2 Cheyyar 6

Hickman Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hickman Mortgages