the grub shack
I know

United States

#22 Mar 14, 2013
I've eaten there twice. The menu and food are classic SYSCO heat and serve. The use of small service containers in an attempt to make portions appear larger than they are is an old trick that does not fool anyone. Judging from comments I heard and my own experience I would guess the owners are not trained in hospitality of food service.
Restaurants that lack originality or franchise branding are doomed. The only question is how long it take for them to get behind on their taxes, utilities, rent and food bills.
The location is at best difficult and worst dangerous to enter and exit. Fifty five mile per hour and no turn lane or proper decel lane. Keep your eye on the rearview mirror.
Most tourists are looking for something with a view other than a parking lot. The locals don't have the cash to support all the below average restaurants in this town. I would guess closed in 3 months or they sucker some other person who lacks Food service and hospitality knowledge into "investing in their gold mine". Then it might make it until Fall.
All this is my opinion I could be wrong.
Resident

Commerce, GA

#23 Mar 14, 2013
I eat at this restaurant with my co-workers at least twice a week. I am so glad it opened. Prices are better than affordable and nothing I have ever gotten is heat and serve. The grilled chicken salad is way more than tomatoes and lettuce. It also has cheese, carrots, bacon bits and anything else you may want... that is up to you. Mine is always stacked with grilled chicken and all the extra dressing you want. I love the burgers. They are original. Charbroiled, fresh beef. And as far as the baskets go, the menu is clearly labeled "lunch baskets". I suppose if you rather have a plate, they would provide that. How petty. Oh, and the fried chicken patties are available two ways, hand breaded or pre-breaded.. that's also up to the customer. This place is full of originality. All the way from the decor, to the free pool table, and the staff is very nice. I really think all you should visit and decide for yourself. They are nice, fun and great food. I love being able to go out to lunch and not have to pack a sandwich every day. If the owners see this, please know that I am grateful you are there and this is by far my favorite place to eat. You have support of many. I will be back Friday night for catfish too- yeah, hand breaded, deep fried catfish planks with homemade cole slaw. Far from "heat and serve".
Thank you

Kathleen, GA

#24 Mar 14, 2013
Resident wrote:
I eat at this restaurant with my co-workers at least twice a week. I am so glad it opened. Prices are better than affordable and nothing I have ever gotten is heat and serve. The grilled chicken salad is way more than tomatoes and lettuce. It also has cheese, carrots, bacon bits and anything else you may want... that is up to you. Mine is always stacked with grilled chicken and all the extra dressing you want. I love the burgers. They are original. Charbroiled, fresh beef. And as far as the baskets go, the menu is clearly labeled "lunch baskets". I suppose if you rather have a plate, they would provide that. How petty. Oh, and the fried chicken patties are available two ways, hand breaded or pre-breaded.. that's also up to the customer. This place is full of originality. All the way from the decor, to the free pool table, and the staff is very nice. I really think all you should visit and decide for yourself. They are nice, fun and great food. I love being able to go out to lunch and not have to pack a sandwich every day. If the owners see this, please know that I am grateful you are there and this is by far my favorite place to eat. You have support of many. I will be back Friday night for catfish too- yeah, hand breaded, deep fried catfish planks with homemade cole slaw. Far from "heat and serve".
Thank you Becky for that glowing review.
ihopeso

United States

#26 Mar 15, 2013
I don't know about them because I have not been there yet. I will say the Mexican restaurant next door is wonderful. I LOVE their tacos.
Dick Tracy

Franklin, GA

#27 Mar 22, 2013
I was passing through with my family looking for a place to park my camper and decided to try them out...and I had the pork special and my a wife had some kind of catfish thing that when asked whe it came from...the young lady said I dont know it is from the sea...in a sarcastic rude tone...it offended my wife. My bbq plate tasted like it was reused manwich...probably wont EVER go back again!
SPot

Dahlonega, GA

#28 Mar 22, 2013
Dick Tracy wrote:
I was passing through with my family looking for a place to park my camper and decided to try them out...and I had the pork special and my a wife had some kind of catfish thing that when asked whe it came from...the young lady said I dont know it is from the sea...in a sarcastic rude tone...it offended my wife. My bbq plate tasted like it was reused manwich...probably wont EVER go back again!
offended your wife? put your foot down and tell her to get over her crying baby crap..
Not surprised

Cleveland, GA

#29 Mar 22, 2013
Dick Tracy wrote:
Your experience does not surprise me. The ones that work there are not the brightest crayons in the box with little to no people skills. Next time try the BBQ place across the street, food is good, prices are good, and the employees are really nice. Their BBQ is not a manwich! It is actually BBQ!
Eater

Jefferson, GA

#30 Mar 23, 2013
I know wrote:
I've eaten there twice. The menu and food are classic SYSCO heat and serve. The use of small service containers in an attempt to make portions appear larger than they are is an old trick that does not fool anyone. Judging from comments I heard and my own experience I would guess the owners are not trained in hospitality of food service.
Restaurants that lack originality or franchise branding are doomed. The only question is how long it take for them to get behind on their taxes, utilities, rent and food bills.
The location is at best difficult and worst dangerous to enter and exit. Fifty five mile per hour and no turn lane or proper decel lane. Keep your eye on the rearview mirror.
Most tourists are looking for something with a view other than a parking lot. The locals don't have the cash to support all the below average restaurants in this town. I would guess closed in 3 months or they sucker some other person who lacks Food service and hospitality knowledge into "investing in their gold mine". Then it might make it until Fall.
All this is my opinion I could be wrong.
Man, you hit the nail on the head. Fewer cars in the parking lot everyday. Like a silent fart. It stinks but you didn't know it was coming until it was to late.
Blackberry

Murphy, NC

#31 Mar 23, 2013
I think that people should go eat there once and decide if it's to their liking,go back again.If you don't like the food or the people never darken their doors again.You do not have to smear their name before giving them a chance.
Blackberry

Murphy, NC

#32 Mar 23, 2013
SPot wrote:
<quoted text>offended your wife? put your foot down and tell her to get over her crying baby crap..
You scare me! You must be some kind of bad ass! You should be working for the sheriffs department.
Yep

Palmetto, GA

#33 Mar 23, 2013
Eater wrote:
<quoted text>Man, you hit the nail on the head. Fewer cars in the parking lot everyday. Like a silent fart. It stinks but you didn't know it was coming until it was to late.
it sounds to me like you have a personal problem with these people; huh, Danny? Why else would you be staring at the cars in the parking lot? I have eaten there several times and there is a reason I keep going there and not your place. Well, actually, many reasons. When others try it out, they will be repeats too.
Not surprised

Cleveland, GA

#34 Mar 23, 2013
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>it sounds to me like you have a personal problem with these people; huh, Danny? Why else would you be staring at the cars in the parking lot? I have eaten there several times and there is a reason I keep going there and not your place. Well, actually, many reasons. When others try it out, they will be repeats too.
You "keep going there", I just threw up. I can't believe some people are dumb enough to go back for more. It must be a family thing.
Foster Stephen

United States

#35 Mar 23, 2013
Please. People around here know nothing about good food. They think The Deer Lodge has good food.
Blackberry

Murphy, NC

#36 Mar 23, 2013
Foster Stephen wrote:
Please. People around here know nothing about good food. They think The Deer Lodge has good food.
Are you the Steve Foster from Blairsville who has a glass eye? If you are what happened,you used to be a real nice guy,if your not SORRY!
Foster Stephen

United States

#37 Mar 23, 2013
Blackberry wrote:
<quoted text> Are you the Steve Foster from Blairsville who has a glass eye? If you are what happened,you used to be a real nice guy,if your not SORRY!
No sir. Not him
Poorwittlefeller

Dawsonville, GA

#38 Mar 23, 2013
Not surprised wrote:
<quoted text>
You "keep going there", I just threw up. I can't believe some people are dumb enough to go back for more. It must be a family thing.
What are you- in kindergarten or something? Have you even been to this place yet? Honey, you have it written all over your remarks that you are an obviously immature, self centered person with some sort of ax to grind against either the owners, or an employee of this place. If I am wrong and you have eaten there, did you make your server or the manager aware of what was so "ewwie" as you call it? I mean, that is what most grown ups do. Geez.
Notfromhere

Cleveland, GA

#39 Mar 24, 2013
Poorwittlefeller wrote:
<quoted text>What are you- in kindergarten or something? Have you even been to this place yet? Honey, you have it written all over your remarks that you are an obviously immature, self centered person with some sort of ax to grind against either the owners, or an employee of this place. If I am wrong and you have eaten there, did you make your server or the manager aware of what was so "ewwie" as you call it? I mean, that is what most grown ups do. Geez.
"Honey" I did let them know, but when they just look at you like you are speaking a foreign language what else should one do? I don't know the owners or employees, I just call crap when I see it. Now go back to work. By the way, how did you get immature, self centered person out of the previous comment? I can easily conclude family member and ignorant from yours.
Poorwittlefeller

Dawsonville, GA

#40 Mar 24, 2013
Notfromhere wrote:
<quoted text>
"Honey" I did let them know, but when they just look at you like you are speaking a foreign language what else should one do? I don't know the owners or employees, I just call crap when I see it. Now go back to work. By the way, how did you get immature, self centered person out of the previous comment? I can easily conclude family member and ignorant from yours.
How about the fact that you are using two different screen names to try and bash these people. See I was replying to "Not Suprised" or was it "Notfromhere". No, wait a minute. It was "Notfromhere" that answered back. Maybe you should remember which screen name you are posting under each time before you post again. Only people that have an obvious ax to grind goes to all the trouble and develop multiple people to try and hurt a business. Secondly, the "EWWWW" you used in a previous post plus the "Girl, we know where you are from..." you used in another and then the "threw up" one. Tell me, since you have been before. Humor us and let us know what you had and what your server said when you told them it was "ewwie".
Consumer

Dawsonville, GA

#41 Apr 22, 2013
Finally got a chance to try out this place today. Place was clean, good service and by far the best burger I have had in a good while. Mine was some sort of special they posted. A-1 burger. With fries and my tea, the price was around six bucks. I will eat here as often as I am passing through Hiawassee.
Thank you

Texarkana, TX

#42 Apr 22, 2013
Consumer wrote:
Finally got a chance to try out this place today. Place was clean, good service and by far the best burger I have had in a good while. Mine was some sort of special they posted. A-1 burger. With fries and my tea, the price was around six bucks. I will eat here as often as I am passing through Hiawassee.
Thank you Becky for that wonderful recommendation. Here is a prediction. Closed by December 2013.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Transplant 2 hr Timmy is gay 33
Fall in Florida 2 hr Timmy is gay 19
no more school taxes 16 hr JDC30512 11
Jackson EMC returns money-link (Sep '15) 19 hr Laughing To The Bank 51
Solution to the Florida problem 21 hr Timmy 42
Commissioner Bradshaw photo Jan 17 campaign headquar... 26
drug scam or mistake Jan 15 curioUSA 5

Hiawassee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance