We need a park
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ticked off

Young Harris, GA

#1 Jun 22, 2012
It's a shame (and an embarrassment) that Towns County doesn't have a public park that serves the entire population rather than just something for children. Virtually every other community in the country has one for its people, but not here. Why is that?

The mud hole won't be it. In fact it probably won't be usable by kids for at least two or three more years, if then, until the grass grows in and more money is found to correct the problems and finish it. You don't have to be an engineer or landscape architect to see the inherent flaws in the design or realize how little it'll be used and you sure as hell don't have to be a bean-counter to see how "poorly" the money is being managed.

For fun (and to piss him off), ask Bill Kendall about it sometime and watch the steam come out of his ears as slobber runs down his chin.
leesburg

Auburn, AL

#2 Jun 22, 2012
I agree why want to knock down your ugly ass cabins and donate that river property.
Youa

Hiawassee, GA

#3 Jun 22, 2012
Ticked off wrote:
It's a shame (and an embarrassment) that Towns County doesn't have a public park that serves the entire population rather than just something for children. Virtually every other community in the country has one for its people, but not here. Why is that?
The mud hole won't be it. In fact it probably won't be usable by kids for at least two or three more years, if then, until the grass grows in and more money is found to correct the problems and finish it. You don't have to be an engineer or landscape architect to see the inherent flaws in the design or realize how little it'll be used and you sure as hell don't have to be a bean-counter to see how "poorly" the money is being managed.
For fun (and to piss him off), ask Bill Kendall about it sometime and watch the steam come out of his ears as slobber runs down his chin.
You are wrong (as usual) and your continual noisome whining (which would embarrass a normal person) is seemingly your reason for being (raison d'etre). Towns County is blessed with more existing public parkland than most counties in this country and additionally contains TVA acreage and is surrounded by national forests offering recreational opportunities rivalled by few places on this earth. Play ball, swim in the lake, enjoy the picnic pavillions -- take a hike.

Pissing people off is what you're all about. Wallow in your misery, you useless stupid crazy little pissant. Normal people are enjoying our parks and nature.
alive and well in Towns

Jefferson, GA

#4 Jun 22, 2012
Ticked off wrote:
It's a shame (and an embarrassment) that Towns County doesn't have a public park that serves the entire population rather than just something for children. Virtually every other community in the country has one for its people, but not here. Why is that?
The mud hole won't be it. In fact it probably won't be usable by kids for at least two or three more years, if then, until the grass grows in and more money is found to correct the problems and finish it. You don't have to be an engineer or landscape architect to see the inherent flaws in the design or realize how little it'll be used and you sure as hell don't have to be a bean-counter to see how "poorly" the money is being managed.
For fun (and to piss him off), ask Bill Kendall about it sometime and watch the steam come out of his ears as slobber runs down his chin.
Ever visited the Towns County Park at the fairgrounds?? VERY nice and has a public boat ramp and pier. Several other spots on the lake owned by TVA are open to the public. Not to mention the the Chattahoochee National Forest, the Appalachian Trail and Brasstown Bald the highest point in Georgia with it's picnic areas, interpretive center and the very best views in the state. The mud hole as you call it will work out just fine, wait and see.

Get off the computer fat man and get out and ENJOY mother nature, she is alive and well in Towns.
Towns Native

Young Harris, GA

#5 Jun 22, 2012
alive and well in Towns wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever visited the Towns County Park at the fairgrounds?? VERY nice and has a public boat ramp and pier. Several other spots on the lake owned by TVA are open to the public. Not to mention the the Chattahoochee National Forest, the Appalachian Trail and Brasstown Bald the highest point in Georgia with it's picnic areas, interpretive center and the very best views in the state. The mud hole as you call it will work out just fine, wait and see.
Get off the computer fat man and get out and ENJOY mother nature, she is alive and well in Towns.
Hamilton Gardens are what the name implies, gardens, not a park. The boat ramp, tennis courts, etc. are owned by the GMF. The other places you mentioned aren't parks either.
Real-time

Young Harris, GA

#6 Jun 23, 2012
alive and well in Towns wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever visited the Towns County Park at the fairgrounds?? VERY nice and has a public boat ramp and pier. Several other spots on the lake owned by TVA are open to the public. Not to mention the the Chattahoochee National Forest, the Appalachian Trail and Brasstown Bald the highest point in Georgia with it's picnic areas, interpretive center and the very best views in the state. The mud hole as you call it will work out just fine, wait and see.
Get off the computer fat man and get out and ENJOY mother nature, she is alive and well in Towns.
Think Central Park in New York as a standard, but in case you haven't been that far away from your cave, Meeks Park in Blairsville, or the ones in Helen, Fanklin, Murphy....

They're now charging $3 per person, per day to visit the Hamilton Gardens. It won't surprise me when the GMF starts charging to use the boat ramp. They surely need the additional revenue.

I agree, making that place a sports complex strictly for kids to play ball games was ill-conceived and short-changed the tax-payer. If it's ever finished, it won't be used all that much.

ALL the citizens of this county deserved a public park they can be proud of and enjoy with their families and friends, but that isn't the way it's going to be. One also might get tourists to linger a while longer but that's beside the point. The money is spent and another opportunity has been lost.

Maybe sometime down the road....
move on

Jefferson, GA

#7 Jun 23, 2012
Real-time wrote:
<quoted text>
Think Central Park in New York as a standard, but in case you haven't been that far away from your cave, Meeks Park in Blairsville, or the ones in Helen, Fanklin, Murphy....
They're now charging $3 per person, per day to visit the Hamilton Gardens. It won't surprise me when the GMF starts charging to use the boat ramp. They surely need the additional revenue.
I agree, making that place a sports complex strictly for kids to play ball games was ill-conceived and short-changed the tax-payer. If it's ever finished, it won't be used all that much.
ALL the citizens of this county deserved a public park they can be proud of and enjoy with their families and friends, but that isn't the way it's going to be. One also might get tourists to linger a while longer but that's beside the point. The money is spent and another opportunity has been lost.
Maybe sometime down the road....
Central Park!"!"!" surely that's some form of a joke or does COST not factor into your form of thinking. What Park does Helen have, it has a couple of State Parts, but Helen only has that gazebo and small playground by the upper parking area.
We are currently building a park comparable to Meeks Park. ball fields and all, not bad for a town 1/3 the size of Blairsville. The tax base difference between Franklin/Murphy and Hiawassee makes your comparison utterly ridiculous and shows just how stupid your arguments are. In reality we have the best park of all, the trails and waterfalls of the Chattahoochee, but that would involve taking a walk in the fresh air.
Bitch, bitch, bitch, why don't you just move on fat man??
Real time

Young Harris, GA

#8 Jun 23, 2012
move on wrote:
<quoted text>
Central Park!"!"!" surely that's some form of a joke or does COST not factor into your form of thinking. What Park does Helen have, it has a couple of State Parts, but Helen only has that gazebo and small playground by the upper parking area.
We are currently building a park comparable to Meeks Park. ball fields and all, not bad for a town 1/3 the size of Blairsville. The tax base difference between Franklin/Murphy and Hiawassee makes your comparison utterly ridiculous and shows just how stupid your arguments are. In reality we have the best park of all, the trails and waterfalls of the Chattahoochee, but that would involve taking a walk in the fresh air.
Bitch, bitch, bitch, why don't you just move on fat man??
I'm not going anywhere! Why don't YOU get your ass out of here?

Do you even know what a park consists of? What it's purpose is? I kind of doubt that you are able to grasp the concept. You sure as hell don't know where the money is coming from or how it was/is financed.

The trails you are calling "parks" are nice, for hiking, if you're young enough, and at 45 I'm not over-the-hill yet, and the waterfalls, the ones down in Tate City and High Sholes Falls are beautiful, but the average person might have "a little trouble" getting there and back, and pushing a stroller would be impossible. I've been to both places several times and enjoyed the trips. LOL! When God built High Shoals Falls, He was sure showing off! Have you ever been there? If you're from here originally, I kind of doubt it. BTW, Bell Mountain isn't a park either. The view from there is fantastic. You should go there and see if for yourself sometime.

Go the back road around Helen sometime and look there by the creek. THAT is a park. It's narrow and long, and nothing fancy, but a rather nice place nevertheless.

The complaint is not only with the ill-thought-out "plan" but how much was spent on the land. The money that was borrowed to pay for it (while the SLOST money trickles in over the years) in the meantime gets eaten up to pay the nut, to where there won't be anything left over to build or finish it for years to come, without borrowing still more money, which the taxpayers can ill afford right now.

If you'd bother to go down to Kendalls office and look at the plan you'd know it ISN'T going to resemble Meeks, except for the ball fields. Here there won't be a swimming pool of course, but that could come later. There also might be a club-house of sorts, someday, perhaps another indoor-rec center.

At least folks here can brag that each ball team here has it's own field. No place for spectators to sit and no lights and when a kid hits a home run or goes for a goal, the ball will never be seen again (it'll go down the bank), but at least there will be plenty of ball fields to go around.
Real time

Young Harris, GA

#9 Jun 23, 2012
And another thing: when Kendall started this project several of us offered suggestions and voiced our concerns but were told in his well-mannered, slack-jawed way, that they would be considered and for us not to worry.

Yeah, sure.
How

Hiawassee, GA

#10 Jun 23, 2012
Real time wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going anywhere! Why don't YOU get your ass out of here?
Do you even know what a park consists of? What it's purpose is? I kind of doubt that you are able to grasp the concept. You sure as hell don't know where the money is coming from or how it was/is financed.
The trails you are calling "parks" are nice, for hiking, if you're young enough, and at 45 I'm not over-the-hill yet, and the waterfalls, the ones down in Tate City and High Sholes Falls are beautiful, but the average person might have "a little trouble" getting there and back, and pushing a stroller would be impossible. I've been to both places several times and enjoyed the trips. LOL! When God built High Shoals Falls, He was sure showing off! Have you ever been there? If you're from here originally, I kind of doubt it. BTW, Bell Mountain isn't a park either. The view from there is fantastic. You should go there and see if for yourself sometime.
Go the back road around Helen sometime and look there by the creek. THAT is a park. It's narrow and long, and nothing fancy, but a rather nice place nevertheless.
The complaint is not only with the ill-thought-out "plan" but how much was spent on the land. The money that was borrowed to pay for it (while the SLOST money trickles in over the years) in the meantime gets eaten up to pay the nut, to where there won't be anything left over to build or finish it for years to come, without borrowing still more money, which the taxpayers can ill afford right now.
If you'd bother to go down to Kendalls office and look at the plan you'd know it ISN'T going to resemble Meeks, except for the ball fields. Here there won't be a swimming pool of course, but that could come later. There also might be a club-house of sorts, someday, perhaps another indoor-rec center.
At least folks here can brag that each ball team here has it's own field. No place for spectators to sit and no lights and when a kid hits a home run or goes for a goal, the ball will never be seen again (it'll go down the bank), but at least there will be plenty of ball fields to go around.
How was/is you, Dumbo? Got "parks" on your mind again? Thank you for another brilliant, spectacularly written post. One never gets enough of Dumbospeak (whining illiterate drivel). Makes one want to pay the NUT (YOU) for the "entertainment"/laug hs.

So Bell Mountain isn't a park? What became of your plans for the Dumbo kite/hang gliding fest? Having "'a little trouble'"?
Lived there

Young Harris, GA

#11 Jun 24, 2012
Real time wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going anywhere! Why don't YOU get your ass out of here?
Do you even know what a park consists of? What it's purpose is? I kind of doubt that you are able to grasp the concept. You sure as hell don't know where the money is coming from or how it was/is financed.
The trails you are calling "parks" are nice, for hiking, if you're young enough, and at 45 I'm not over-the-hill yet, and the waterfalls, the ones down in Tate City and High Sholes Falls are beautiful, but the average person might have "a little trouble" getting there and back, and pushing a stroller would be impossible. I've been to both places several times and enjoyed the trips. LOL! When God built High Shoals Falls, He was sure showing off! Have you ever been there? If you're from here originally, I kind of doubt it. BTW, Bell Mountain isn't a park either. The view from there is fantastic. You should go there and see if for yourself sometime.
Go the back road around Helen sometime and look there by the creek. THAT is a park. It's narrow and long, and nothing fancy, but a rather nice place nevertheless.
The complaint is not only with the ill-thought-out "plan" but how much was spent on the land. The money that was borrowed to pay for it (while the SLOST money trickles in over the years) in the meantime gets eaten up to pay the nut, to where there won't be anything left over to build or finish it for years to come, without borrowing still more money, which the taxpayers can ill afford right now.
If you'd bother to go down to Kendalls office and look at the plan you'd know it ISN'T going to resemble Meeks, except for the ball fields. Here there won't be a swimming pool of course, but that could come later. There also might be a club-house of sorts, someday, perhaps another indoor-rec center.
At least folks here can brag that each ball team here has it's own field. No place for spectators to sit and no lights and when a kid hits a home run or goes for a goal, the ball will never be seen again (it'll go down the bank), but at least there will be plenty of ball fields to go around.
When a people resign themselves to doing without as they do here, then they deserve what they get, which isn't much. This country did not become great by people accepting things as they are, rather by accomplishments, sometimes called progress, sometimes called better, things you see very little of here!

Where is the American spirit here? Where has pride and determination gone to?
Real time

Young Harris, GA

#12 Jun 24, 2012
move on wrote:
<quoted text>
Central Park!"!"!" surely that's some form of a joke or does COST not factor into your form of thinking.
"Cost" factors into every single thing I do, every day! I don't work for the government where money means nothing, I have to make the Eagle scream, like everybody else.

FWIW - it's too late now but to have turned that property into a real park would have been FAR less expensive than stripping the land bare the way they did. For what the contractor was probably paid to strip it, a park could have been constructed and completed by now. But that would have required creativity and pre-planning for it's best and most pratical, cost effective use, things Kendall comes up a little short on every time.
YOU are

Jefferson, GA

#13 Jun 24, 2012
Real time wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going anywhere! Why don't YOU get your ass out of here?
Do you even know what a park consists of? What it's purpose is? I kind of doubt that you are able to grasp the concept. You sure as hell don't know where the money is coming from or how it was/is financed.
The trails you are calling "parks" are nice, for hiking, if you're young enough, and at 45 I'm not over-the-hill yet, and the waterfalls, the ones down in Tate City and High Shoals Falls are beautiful, but the average person might have "a little trouble" getting there and back, and pushing a stroller would be impossible. I've been to both places several times and enjoyed the trips. LOL! When God built High Shoals Falls, He was sure showing off! Have you ever been there? If you're from here originally, I kind of doubt it. BTW, Bell Mountain isn't a park either. The view from there is fantastic. You should go there and see if for yourself sometime.
Go the back road around Helen sometime and look there by the creek. THAT is a park. It's narrow and long, and nothing fancy, but a rather nice place nevertheless.
The complaint is not only with the ill-thought-out "plan" but how much was spent on the land. The money that was borrowed to pay for it (while the SLOST money trickles in over the years) in the meantime gets eaten up to pay the nut, to where there won't be anything left over to build or finish it for years to come, without borrowing still more money, which the taxpayers can ill afford right now.
If you'd bother to go down to Kendalls office and look at the plan you'd know it ISN'T going to resemble Meeks, except for the ball fields. Here there won't be a swimming pool of course, but that could come later. There also might be a club-house of sorts, someday, perhaps another indoor-rec center.
At least folks here can brag that each ball team here has it's own field. No place for spectators to sit and no lights and when a kid hits a home run or goes for a goal, the ball will never be seen again (it'll go down the bank), but at least there will be plenty of ball fields to go around.
You are so full of crap I bet the whites of you eyes are brown. Picnic tables in a run down tourist trap is a park to you. Which is it Central Park or picnic tables sitting by the road on a little creek in Hellen?? Been to High Shoals several times, do you even know how many falls are there, I doubt it. Been to Brasstown Bald and walked to the top, hiked the A T for a short distance, have also been to Cupid Falls, that's what you would call a park. Bet you don't even know where Cupid Falls is. You should also leave the screen long enough to visit Minnehaha and Helton Creek both just a short drive outside of Towns, but are two of the prettiest waterfalls anywhere. And both are short walks so if you packed your lunch and snacks you could make it.

Why don't you start a drive to raise taxes so we can get the kind of park YOU want. Anything other than what YOU want in your mind is a total waste. YOU are a total waste of both time and space.
Hey

Hiawassee, GA

#14 Jun 24, 2012
Real time wrote:
<quoted text>
"Cost" factors into every single thing I do, every day! I don't work for the government where money means nothing, I have to make the Eagle scream, like everybody else.
FWIW - it's too late now but to have turned that property into a real park would have been FAR less expensive than stripping the land bare the way they did. For what the contractor was probably paid to strip it, a park could have been constructed and completed by now. But that would have required creativity and pre-planning for it's best and most pratical, cost effective use, things Kendall comes up a little short on every time.
Hey Dumbo, what is the "Cost" factor of your banging out your idiotic whiny posts? One would think you'd find a FAR more "pratical," as you say, use of your time.

By the way, Pervboy, leave the eagles alone and stick to your sheep.
Ano

Hiawassee, GA

#15 Jun 24, 2012
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
When a people resign themselves to doing without as they do here, then they deserve what they get, which isn't much. This country did not become great by people accepting things as they are, rather by accomplishments, sometimes called progress, sometimes called better, things you see very little of here!
Where is the American spirit here? Where has pride and determination gone to?
Another masterfully crafted example of Dumbospeak. You obviously has pride and determination. They has gone to you.
Boy

Hiawassee, GA

#16 Jun 24, 2012
YOU are wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of crap I bet the whites of you eyes are brown. Picnic tables in a run down tourist trap is a park to you. Which is it Central Park or picnic tables sitting by the road on a little creek in Hellen?? Been to High Shoals several times, do you even know how many falls are there, I doubt it. Been to Brasstown Bald and walked to the top, hiked the A T for a short distance, have also been to Cupid Falls, that's what you would call a park. Bet you don't even know where Cupid Falls is. You should also leave the screen long enough to visit Minnehaha and Helton Creek both just a short drive outside of Towns, but are two of the prettiest waterfalls anywhere. And both are short walks so if you packed your lunch and snacks you could make it.

Why don't you start a drive to raise taxes so we can get the kind of park YOU want. Anything other than what YOU want in your mind is a total waste. YOU are a total waste of both time and space.
Boy, Dumbo, YOU certainly get around -- all the way to "Hellen" back.
Real time

Young Harris, GA

#17 Jun 24, 2012
YOU are wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of crap I bet the whites of you eyes are brown. Picnic tables in a run down tourist trap is a park to you. Which is it Central Park or picnic tables sitting by the road on a little creek in Hellen?? Been to High Shoals several times, do you even know how many falls are there, I doubt it. Been to Brasstown Bald and walked to the top, hiked the A T for a short distance, have also been to Cupid Falls, that's what you would call a park. Bet you don't even know where Cupid Falls is. You should also leave the screen long enough to visit Minnehaha and Helton Creek both just a short drive outside of Towns, but are two of the prettiest waterfalls anywhere. And both are short walks so if you packed your lunch and snacks you could make it.
Why don't you start a drive to raise taxes so we can get the kind of park YOU want. Anything other than what YOU want in your mind is a total waste. YOU are a total waste of both time and space.
Typical knee-jerk response. No wonder Towns is stuck in the 50s and outsiders think we’re all backward hicks.

I personally like the lower falls at HS. LOL! Two summers ago some kids from the college, I think – they were young – were there skinny-dipping when we appeared! One girl was up on that ledge, stark naked, and getting down from there in a hurry proved embarrassing, for her. That what, 1.4 mi hike in there and out isn't easy and if a person has some age on them, out of the question.

The shuttle ($5) that takes people from the parking lot to the top of BTB makes it possible for everyone to visit the place – the elderly, the people with health problems, parents with young children…. But it still doesn’t qualify as a park. Confederate Park (Cupid Falls) is a park. It's nice there and with the improvements made from YH's part of the SPLOST, serves more people, including kids. Their mayor, whatever her name is, spent wisely. Have you seen the one they have in front of the community center? I doubt it. I think it’s called Mayor’s Park.

This said, to indicate you don’t know what you’re talking about and that your crude, ill-mannered accusations are baseless and unwarranted.

Again, do you have any idea what a park is? Or does? I don’t believe you do. They aren't “attractions” like BTB or the falls, or the lake, rather.... Think of it this way: woods, without underbrush, maybe a creek, with walking paths (not hikes), safe places to pass a leisurely afternoon with family and friends, easily accessible to everyone, including the handicapped, with a restroom handy, maybe a little open area to catch some rays, or toss Frisbees, or…. Had Kendall saw fit to provide just the basics, it could have been tricked out over the coming years, with things that appeal to a wider and different age groups. Meeks Park wasn’t all built in one day, none of them are. It’s still a work in progress.
daylight

Jefferson, GA

#18 Jun 25, 2012
Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, Dumbo, YOU certainly get around -- all the way to "Helen" back.
Pay attention boy wonder, its a little joke, Hell-en, get it? That's just my opinion of the run down tourist trap called Helen, probably not yours. Your head is to far up the ole brown hole to see daylight or anything your spell check can't find for you.
Day riders

Young Harris, GA

#19 Jun 25, 2012
My wife and I rode our bike down there yesterday and had trouble finding a place to back it in. For a "run-down tourist trap," it sure was packed with people, and not all were bikers. The shop on the other side of town was crowded too, but everybody had a smile on their face while they waited to get checked out by clerks who were being run ragged!
Byy

Hiawassee, GA

#20 Jun 25, 2012
Real time wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, do you have any idea what a park is? Or does? I don’t believe you do. They aren't “attractions” like BTB or the falls, or the lake, rather.... Think of it this way: woods, without underbrush, maybe a creek, with walking paths (not hikes), safe places to pass a leisurely afternoon with family and friends, easily accessible to everyone, including the handicapped, with a restroom handy, maybe a little open area to catch some rays, or toss Frisbees, or…. Had Kendall saw fit to provide just the basics, it could have been tricked out over the coming years, with things that appeal to a wider and different age groups. Meeks Park wasn’t all built in one day, none of them are. It’s still a work in progress.
By your definition parks may not include waterfalls, lakes, underbrush, hiking areas (but "walking paths"), rivers ("maybe a creek"), or large open areas (but "maybe a little open area"). Great, now we know what a park is. But what does a park?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bonnie Allen 13 hr Cowpie 59
Be aware of thomas tire (Jul '13) 15 hr Jerry - Hayesville 28
Masonry Thu Le Church 4
Is it OK to be gay in hiawassee ? Thu Le Church 15
TC Football (Oct '15) Tue kaiser 98
Lawnmower repair Aug 23 Alton 7
Barrett for Clinton Aug 23 The Butcher 53

Hiawassee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hiawassee Mortgages