A few parents and a lot of grandparents around here have "witnessed" other schools, some bad, some so-so and others that were great, so sell that dodge (cop-out) somewhere else.You people can get on here and bitch about the school system in this county...but have you experienced another school system? Everyone harps on scores, but until you have witnessed educators wanting their test scores to go up they resort to cheating. I will gladly choose Towns County Schools for the environment. Education starts at home so instead of complaining about Towns County Schools begin your childs foundation for a strong education. If one is too lazy to put forth the effort find another school system...maybe one that is overcrowded and one that your child has to watch their classmates roll a joint in front of the teacher would serve you better. As an adult we can relocate...it's not as hard as you think, I prefer my children to live in a small quaint community!
The cheating was an isolated incident in Georgia that cost the system dearly. Here, the school board just turned down a great deal of money IF they'd get rid of the failing administrators. On the "Race To The Top" program, Towns County again passed for reasons unknown.
The test in question was given across the state and did not give schools a chance to "teach the test" as they do on others. Towns County came out on the bottom 5%. That fact hasn't changed.
In the lastest election cycle, no one contested the current board members. Explain that!
From what you wrote, you'd rather your children get an inferior education than face the outside world. Consider this: the best and brightest leave here after they graduate, and from then on they have to compete against the other 95% for slots in college and later jobs with two strikes against them. The remaining 5% I guess stay at home and flip burgers or do manual labor - for someone else.