Small business

Athens, GA

#1 May 9, 2012
Has anybody heard if the other counties in "our district" approved the tax hike? The paper didn't say. Towns turned it down but the way I understand it, if a majority of the others in the district approve it, we get hit by it anyway.
Tow

Hiawassee, GA

#2 May 9, 2012
Small business wrote:
Has anybody heard if the other counties in "our district" approved the tax hike? The paper didn't say. Towns turned it down but the way I understand it, if a majority of the others in the district approve it, we get hit by it anyway.
Towns and the other potentially affected counties have not yet voted on the issue. If T-Splost gets a majority affirmative vote, the additional tax applies in all counties named on the ballot.

Vote against T-Splost which does nothing positive for Towns.
timmy

Dawsonville, GA

#3 May 9, 2012
Vote yes on T-Splost. Then Atlanta will get money to fix it roads and we can finally get to the airport on time. We won't be able to afford to fly anywhere, but we can watch the planes take off.

( And we thought that having a pure conservative republican from north georgia as governor would be a good thing, guess again.)
braced

Cleveland, GA

#4 May 9, 2012
vote NO, tell everyone you know thru out georgia to vote NO. this is the largest tax increase ever in georgia history. from what i have read, 25% of the tax stays in each district, where does the other 75% go? to finance DOT? to atlanta? to general fund? they don't say
tell everyone to get out and vote NO. everyone in the state needs to vote NO.
Looking

Young Harris, GA

#5 May 10, 2012
Is "North Georgia Fairgrounds" the same as "Georgia Mountain Fair" or is that what they're putting in at 69?

http://www.it3.ga.gov/Documents/FinalList/GAM...

From reading the PR it appears that G-DOT has the authority to "re-allocate" funds from each district to where they're most needed - meaning that'll happen, meaning it'll go to Atlanta!

And if the thirteen counties in the district reject the tax hike, does that mean we won't get a cent of state or federal money we're getting now to help repair our own roads? That's implied but I didn't see where it said one way or the other.

http://www.jacksonheraldtoday.com/archives/70...

Specifically:

"(3.)...If a region fails to approve the tax, then the state will punish the counties in that region by forcing them to match state funds at a higher rate. Rather than a state 30 percent match, counties would have only a 10 percent state match...."

That suggests that if District 2 doesn't vote it in, the state can proceed anyway and bill the counties. So does voting on it really matter?

This is another example, IMO, of government saying, "Thanks for your tax money. Now, if you want us to actually do anything, you'll have to pay extra."

Where are our representatives? Where do they stand on this?
seriously

Dawsonville, GA

#6 May 10, 2012
Looking wrote:
Is "North Georgia Fairgrounds" the same as "Georgia Mountain Fair" or is that what they're putting in at 69?
http://www.it3.ga.gov/Documents/FinalList/GAM...
From reading the PR it appears that G-DOT has the authority to "re-allocate" funds from each district to where they're most needed - meaning that'll happen, meaning it'll go to Atlanta!
And if the thirteen counties in the district reject the tax hike, does that mean we won't get a cent of state or federal money we're getting now to help repair our own roads? That's implied but I didn't see where it said one way or the other.
http://www.jacksonheraldtoday.com/archives/70...
Specifically:
"(3.)...If a region fails to approve the tax, then the state will punish the counties in that region by forcing them to match state funds at a higher rate. Rather than a state 30 percent match, counties would have only a 10 percent state match...."
That suggests that if District 2 doesn't vote it in, the state can proceed anyway and bill the counties. So does voting on it really matter?
This is another example, IMO, of government saying, "Thanks for your tax money. Now, if you want us to actually do anything, you'll have to pay extra."
Where are our representatives? Where do they stand on this?
The saying "Wake up American" has never rang so true.
Rin

Hiawassee, GA

#7 May 10, 2012
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
The saying "Wake up American" has never rang so true.
Ring, ring. Hello Dumbo, you meant "'America'" and "rung."
Confused

Jefferson, GA

#8 May 11, 2012
Wait, I'm confused. I thought we were for the
SPLOST. If we change our mind and vote no now, can we still get our Meek's park?
braced

Dawsonville, GA

#9 May 11, 2012
this is not the local splost, this is the t-splost, the state wants to increase sales tax 1% to pay for dot road projects, vote no
it will go away

Dawsonville, GA

#10 May 12, 2012
Rin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ring, ring. Hello Dumbo, you meant "'America'" and "rung."
That ringing in your head WILL go away as soon as you remove it from your butt. I know its a tough job, its been there for so long. But the rewards will make up for the pain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim Evans corrupt borough 1 hr DRW 1
Shopping 3 hr Tax dollar 1
Tthe Meadow Apartments 4 hr The WB 15
Replace Judge Dwain Brackett (Jun '12) 4 hr BANG 397
Poll hottest women in Hiawassee? (Jun '09) 16 hr BoatLake 55
Armadillo Grill Mar 21 Cops Suck 48
Windstream internet out for anyone else? Mar 21 Wow 4

Hiawassee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance