thats what i'm talking about.
Interested

Jefferson, GA

#2 Dec 10, 2012
The run-off goes straight to the lake!
Here and now

Blairsville, GA

#3 Dec 11, 2012
It'll be interesting to see how they keep it from happening again, or if they'll even try.

NEWS FLASH: unless drastic measures are taken to shore it up, Mother Nature WILL eventually bring those trees down.

Did notice construction on a second rec center has begun out there. What do they plan to do with the old one that's beside the second senior center?
Here and now

Blairsville, GA

#4 Dec 11, 2012
Interested wrote:
The run-off goes straight to the lake!
That's the TVAs problem. If it silts over the "bay" belonging to The Ridges, they're just the kind that would make an issue of it - in court.
Too Late

Cleveland, GA

#5 Dec 11, 2012
All we need now are a couple of goals and a soccer ball. Beautiful planning and a wise expenditure of tax payer money. Good thing we all had a say in this project....( Tongue firmly in cheek ).

We had our chance for change in November and chose not to. Now we live with the consequences !
Yep

Hiawassee, GA

#6 Dec 11, 2012
Too Late wrote:
All we need now are a couple of goals and a soccer ball. Beautiful planning and a wise expenditure of tax payer money. Good thing we all had a say in this project....( Tongue firmly in cheek ).
We had our chance for change in November and chose not to. Now we live with the consequences !
Yep, Dumbo, more parkland and recreational facilities. I wonder how you feel about that.
olympic angels

Ogden, UT

#7 Dec 11, 2012
Too Late wrote:
i assume you are not a native.
heres what you got going for you.
42 per cent of the houses are empty, meaing the population you need is not there they where the money is.
that leaves the same ole same o.
things like this is the exact reason i moved back to utah till i die.
they have cut bell mtn up so bad it will be in the lake over time. it would cost millions to go in there an stablize it.
at one time i had hopes, but when i rode the mtn out i saw destruction on the way. i had nothing to do with the destruction
to dads farm.
so now they got something else to be proud of.
Retired now

Blairsville, GA

#8 Dec 11, 2012
Too Late wrote:
Towns County has had it's moment in the sun and failed to make the most of it. It's over now, most likely forever. Get used to it.
olympic angels

Ogden, UT

#9 Dec 11, 2012
Retired now wrote:
<quoted text>
Towns County has had it's moment in the sun and failed to make the most of it. It's over now, most likely forever. Get used to it.
the problem is no resources to make money, accept weed an moonshine.
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#10 Dec 12, 2012
olympic angels wrote:
<quoted text>
the problem is no resources to make money, accept weed an moonshine.
Marijuana has been the cash crop around here for years and is probably the third largest source of new/earned money coming into the area (behind the paychecks of retirees and welfare for the government and individuals).

Making 'shine (on the stove-top) is a popular hobby with a growing number of retirees, and not an industry. They gift their product rather than sell it. But 'shine is passť; they're instead making excellent double and twisted sour mash whiskey in relatively small quantities - ten to thirty gallons +/- a year. Regardless, it preserves a cultural heritage.

There are a number of retirees here who are moderately wealthy and could help the economy in a number of ways but the government refuses help from "outsiders," which amounts to being anti-business.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#11 Dec 12, 2012
You killed Lowes, losing taxes and employment, but even worse sending a message to other business to stay away from your area.
Swain

Jefferson, GA

#12 Dec 12, 2012
Paladinhgwt wrote:
You killed Lowes, losing taxes and employment, but even worse sending a message to other business to stay away from your area.
Lowes killed itself smart guy.
Fiscal Cliff

Cleveland, GA

#13 Dec 12, 2012
I would say the dirt slide is our own local "fiscal cliff". How much money will we pour into a pile of dirt ? When will we cut our losses and find another location ? When will the taxpayers in TC get answers about this debacle ? If this is still a viable location for soccer when the hell will the games begin ?
olympic angels

Ogden, UT

#14 Dec 12, 2012
Swain wrote:
<quoted text>Lowes killed itself smart guy.
they did that, why?
housing boom was over, maybe like a minning town when the ore runs out.
with 42 per cent houses empty, where is the prospect of more new ones being built.
the land boom done boomed.
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#15 Dec 12, 2012
Paladinhgwt wrote:
The question of why Lowe's elected not to build here or if they ever intended to in the first place, remains unanswered by a creditable source.

But there is and always will be a red flag about the land purchase. Was it just sheer coincidence that the same property Lowe's was supposedly considering was later purchased "by the taxpayer" at an above assessed price? Maybe I'm just a "Doubting Thomas" but historically, land purchases by the government have been seasoned with corruption.

The SO has not and will not investigate, even having been given documents that constitute probable cause, for political reasons but there might still be hope. The AFO of the FBI announced last week it is investigating political corruption in a number of Georgia counties. Maybe this transaction, the documentation of which has been provided them, will be considered and one way or the other, will remove any doubt as to whether (or not) it was all on the up-and-up.
olympic angels

Ogden, UT

#16 Dec 12, 2012
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
The question of why Lowe's elected not to build here or if they ever intended to in the first place, remains unanswered by a creditable source.
But there is and always will be a red flag about the land purchase. Was it just sheer coincidence that the same property Lowe's was supposedly considering was later purchased "by the taxpayer" at an above assessed price? Maybe I'm just a "Doubting Thomas" but historically, land purchases by the government have been seasoned with corruption.
The SO has not and will not investigate, even having been given documents that constitute probable cause, for political reasons but there might still be hope. The AFO of the FBI announced last week it is investigating political corruption in a number of Georgia counties. Maybe this transaction, the documentation of which has been provided them, will be considered and one way or the other, will remove any doubt as to whether (or not) it was all on the up-and-up.
aint no need to spend all the fbo money.
aint nothing on the up an up, never was, never will.
remember the truth is hard to find in towns county.
Truth Be Told

Cleveland, GA

#17 Dec 12, 2012
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
Probable cause ? Please elaborate. Last I checked a land purchase, wise or as in this case asinine, is not an illegal act. Tax payer funded or not. We have a sole commissioner that does as he pleases with our money. Taxpayers had a chance to get him out and chose not to. As far as the SO goes, suggesting they are sitting on information that an illegal act took place in this case shows your complete and total ignorance of this matter.
boots3

Clarkesville, GA

#18 Dec 12, 2012
This land was Donated to Towns County!!
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#19 Dec 12, 2012
boots3 wrote:
This land was Donated to Towns County!!
That was another piece of property, NOT the one that's being developed as a ball park.
boots3

Clarkesville, GA

#20 Dec 12, 2012
OK

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prince Avenue 40 Towns County 7 3 hr Porcupine quill 40
Won't eat at Asiano again 19 hr YOUR MOMMA 9
Clinton makes me puke... 22 hr OH MY 14
What builder would you choose? (Oct '09) Thu Cassie Mae 74
Chris Clinton - Do You Want Some Revenue??????? Thu Illtell 18
Taco Bell Thu escapetc 26
Dr Church Thu Gloria 29

Hiawassee News Video

Hiawassee Dating
Find my Match