sheriff attempts to raise property taxes
bit we can

Dawsonville, GA

#122 Sep 16, 2010
I swear wrote:
<quoted text>That would be great if we could have more EMTs but ask the ones we have if the commish gave them any raises this year. No? Then how are we gonna afford to hire more? Who are we gonna call to that big BK rec field when someone gets hurt playing ball? Hope it's a small injury and you can drive yourself to the ER.
Honey don't think we can't drive our selfs to the ER!
fyi

Dahlonega, GA

#123 Sep 16, 2010
I PROMISE wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats why I think if the Government would allow us to be more involved and shoot anyone who attempts to infringe on our familys/homes we would only have to call the local Coroner and/or Funeral home for transport of the body(s). However... I do beleive we could use (14) more paramedics/E.M.T.(S)given the fact that we are a RETIRMENT COMMUNITY with several Elderly people with major health problems. Think of all the money the S.O. and the tax payers could save by decreasing employee numbers and allowing the public to HELP OUT!!
Speaking of Deputy(s), Children and School(s), who is the T.C. Deputy from Union County (resides there)which drops his child(ren) off at T.C. School(s) every day? Thought you had to be a resident of the county of which your child attends? Wonder if T.C. Government Insurance would cover a minor (non-affiliate) if serious injury due to a motor vehicle accident were to occur?
Sick of hearing about this out of town thing so I called and found out where each deputy is from
Sheriff Chris Clinton Hiawassee, GA
Captain Jeff Edge Blairsville, GA
Captain Tim McArthur Ellijay/Hiawassee (he lives here part time has a camper here in Hiawassee)
Detective Brian Wilson Hiawassee, GA
Dep. Dennis Young Young Harris, GA
Detective Curt Donaldson Dahlonega, GA
Dep.Julio Cruz Hiawassee, GA
Dep.Darren Jones Blairsville, GA
Dep.Sam Combs Blairsville, GA
Detective Pat Williams Hiawassee, GA
Dep.Jason Moody Blairsville, GA
Dep.Richard Lloyd Hiawassee, GA
Dep.Billy Shattles Dahlonega, GA
Dep.Doug Loyd Hiawassee, GA
Dep.Derek Richards Hiawassee, Ga
Dep.Tony Elliott Hiawassee, Ga
Dep.Billy Eller Hiawassee, Ga
Dep.Kat James Hiawassee, Ga
Dep.Laurel Miller Young Harris, GA
Dep.David Webb(part time) Young Harris, GA
Dep.Shawn Dyer (part time) Blairsville, GA
Dep.Richard Morgan Hiawassee, GA
Dep.Brandon Barrett Hiawassee, Ga
Dep.Michael Baxter(part-time) Blairsville, GA
So find something else to gripe about, if you want officers from this county get some of your buddies to go to school, heck if your so concerned about it go to school yourself.

Get Real

Young Harris, GA

#124 Sep 16, 2010
I swear wrote:
<quoted text>That would be great if we could have more EMTs but ask the ones we have if the commish gave them any raises this year. No? Then how are we gonna afford to hire more? Who are we gonna call to that big BK rec field when someone gets hurt playing ball? Hope it's a small injury and you can drive yourself to the ER.
The answer to that is simple - outsource the routine, non-emergency calls, like transporting. The current charges to transport someone from the nursing home to the hospital, a distance of a quarter of a mile, is $150. Medicare will pay for the trip to the hospital, but the patient has to pay the $150 to be taken back.

A lot of people around here didn't get a job last year, much less a pay raise. All this talk about hiring more officers and more EMTs and more of this and that is just to grow the government bigger and fatter despite the recession we're in.
Selma

Blairsville, GA

#125 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
<quoted text>Sick of hearing about this out of town thing so I called and found out where each deputy is from
Captain Tim McArthur Ellijay/Hiawassee (he lives here part time has a camper here in Hiawassee)
So find something else to gripe about, if you want officers from this county get some of your buddies to go to school, heck if your so concerned about it go to school yourself.
I agree! What difference does it make?
Get Real

Young Harris, GA

#126 Sep 16, 2010
And another thing - when they're called out on a routine run and four show up, plus a supervisor, a person might wonder, and then come to realize three of the five are on time and a half over-time. And you want more EMTs and more of that, at taxpayer's expense?
Get Real

Young Harris, GA

#127 Sep 16, 2010
Sorry for the double post.
Get Real

Young Harris, GA

#128 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
<quoted text>Sick of hearing about this out of town thing so I called and found out where each deputy is from
Do you realize that comes to about one deputy for every 780 residents (assuming there are about 15,000 people in the county and excluding the 1,000 or so that live within the city limits)? That's unheard of and in light of the number of arrests made each week, including traffic tickets, that's REALLY amazing!
White Lighting

Dawsonville, GA

#129 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
What happened to the CHief DEputy? Oh and how many sec. are at the S.O.(Crooked creek) and how many at thE S.O.(Court house)? As I understand the sheriff needs more sec. too. I wonder if we gave Hitler 5 more sec. and 10 more deputys if he would cry then? Its my opinion that "we the people" have TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT NOW. I think the answer is Less Government involved in our lives and a sheriff that has more ties to the local people and someone who can relate to the community and is not ashamed of the local people here in Towns County!!
fyi

Commerce, GA

#130 Sep 16, 2010
White Lighting wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened to the CHief DEputy? Oh and how many sec. are at the S.O.(Crooked creek) and how many at thE S.O.(Court house)? As I understand the sheriff needs more sec. too. I wonder if we gave Hitler 5 more sec. and 10 more deputys if he would cry then? Its my opinion that "we the people" have TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT NOW. I think the answer is Less Government involved in our lives and a sheriff that has more ties to the local people and someone who can relate to the community and is not ashamed of the local people here in Towns County!!
well smarta#* I did ask about the sec.there were 2 at crooked cr. but 1 got moved to the courthouse dont know if they are hiring another one I'm more concerned about not having enough deputies to go around, have you got any suggestions for local deputies do you want to go to school for 8-12 weeks to be a deputy?
White lighting

Dawsonville, GA

#131 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
<quoted text>well smarta#* I did ask about the sec.there were 2 at crooked cr. but 1 got moved to the courthouse dont know if they are hiring another one I'm more concerned about not having enough deputies to go around, have you got any suggestions for local deputies do you want to go to school for 8-12 weeks to be a deputy?
Well... First of all, Mr. smarta#@# is not interested in becoming a Deputy due to my age. However, I am a retired proffesional (tax payer)who does see alot of mismanagement being conducted at my/our local Sheriff's Office. First of all, to have so much turn over within a (approx.) two year span, tells me that the Administration/Management must be hard to get along with. I have however... spoken with about three former employees. They did not go into any great detail of why they left, however did advise that it wasn't due to more money at neighboring counties (as the Sheriff/T.C. Herald reported)and stated that they took a pay-cut. Their facial expressions also seemed to suggest that they were disgusted with the way thing(s) were/are being handled (I have known these men whom I trust with my life for awhile now). However... on a better note, I will be supporting our New Probate Judge. I like the way he got elected (caused no Mudslinging/honest campaigning)and upon taking office he didn't cause any waves or fire anyone. He just went in and began learning the job without beig a "ME..ME..ME MAN" (humble) and bragging about all he had done.One suggestion is hire veteran officers!!!
fyi

Commerce, GA

#132 Sep 16, 2010
White lighting wrote:
<quoted text>
Well... First of all, Mr. smarta#@# is not interested in becoming a Deputy due to my age. However, I am a retired proffesional (tax payer)who does see alot of mismanagement being conducted at my/our local Sheriff's Office. First of all, to have so much turn over within a (approx.) two year span, tells me that the Administration/Management must be hard to get along with. I have however... spoken with about three former employees. They did not go into any great detail of why they left, however did advise that it wasn't due to more money at neighboring counties (as the Sheriff/T.C. Herald reported)and stated that they took a pay-cut. Their facial expressions also seemed to suggest that they were disgusted with the way thing(s) were/are being handled (I have known these men whom I trust with my life for awhile now). However... on a better note, I will be supporting our New Probate Judge. I like the way he got elected (caused no Mudslinging/honest campaigning)and upon taking office he didn't cause any waves or fire anyone. He just went in and began learning the job without beig a "ME..ME..ME MAN" (humble) and bragging about all he had done.One suggestion is hire veteran officers!!!
Name me some vetera officers in Towns County that are willing to work for nothing.
fyi

Commerce, GA

#133 Sep 16, 2010
sorry I meant to say veteran
FYIII

Jefferson, GA

#134 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
You only need a GED why do you talk about going to school,what a idiot!
bonkersguy

Atlanta, GA

#135 Sep 16, 2010
I knew this would be good!!
Truth

Jefferson, GA

#136 Sep 16, 2010
Why don't you stop by the courthouse and ask the sheriff himself why those former deputies are no longer with Towns County? Every former disgruntled employee is right and everyone still there is wrong.

The "school" the person is referring to is not HS or getting a GED...it is called the police academy, and in addition to a "GED" you must have a completely clean record...the state agency POST makes sure of this...

However, many of the people who work at TC have more than your "GED"...

Maybe some of you should stop by the SO and ask someone who was able to meet the new standards set...
U R Kidding

Young Harris, GA

#137 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
<quoted text>I'm more concerned about not having enough deputies to go around
What ARE you thinking? Go around .. where? And do .. what?

There have been two armed robberies here in the last five years, no murders, no rapes, no kidnappings, a few domestic disturbances, granted, no embezzlements, no home invasions, no muggings, apparently no car thefts, no gangs, riots or other civil disturbances, few (one that I recall, at Hiawassee Hardware) burglaries, no arrests for political corruption, a handful of mail boxes have been vandalized, no acts of terrorism, no prostitution or gambling arrests, an occasional arrest for child molestation (I think) and since there havenít been any major drug arrests or pot farms ďdiscoveredĒ and raided in recent memory either, apparently thereís no problem to speak of with drugs!

The deputies we have now are at serious risk of dying from boredom, or over-eating, and you want to put still MORE on the public payroll?

Youíre sounding like a typical government type determined to get bigger and fatter eating the public cow because, mister, you do not have a case to justify still more deputies.

And donít come back saying thatís because of dedicated service and vigilance because the police donít prevent crime, they only investigate it (in other places), AFTER the fact, plus unless Towns County is totally different than anywhere else on the planet, a zillion cops do not deter crime.
Roadrunner

Warner Robins, GA

#138 Sep 16, 2010
We know CC can't raise taxes, but he can persuade Mr. Bill to give. He needs approx. 15 Million instead of 5 Million to hire more deputys and office personnel. Just look at the excellent job they are doing.
FYIII

Jefferson, GA

#139 Sep 16, 2010
Truth wrote:
Why don't you stop by the courthouse and ask the sheriff himself why those former deputies are no longer with Towns County? Every former disgruntled employee is right and everyone still there is wrong.
The "school" the person is referring to is not HS or getting a GED...it is called the police academy, and in addition to a "GED" you must have a completely clean record...the state agency POST makes sure of this...
However, many of the people who work at TC have more than your "GED"...
Maybe some of you should stop by the SO and ask someone who was able to meet the new standards set...
Bull crap you go to the academy after you get the job,all you need is a GED to get hired.I bet less than 1% have criminal justice degree.
Pure Truth

Dawsonville, GA

#140 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
Now for the rest of the story? How many of the individuals above know and understand the History and/or people/family(s) of Towns County?
Pure Truth

Dawsonville, GA

#141 Sep 16, 2010
fyi wrote:
<quoted text>Name me some vetera officers in Towns County that are willing to work for nothing.
The real qustion is... How many Veteran Officers are willing to work for such a childish department? So I guess your right "work for Nothing"!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Road Warrior 20 min huh 3
money question? 2 hr I gots mine 21
Shame on Towns County - Veterans Day Ceremony Mon Ditto 16
News Election 2017: 3 family members on ballot in ci... Nov 20 1959jack 2
ugh Nov 20 patient 1
McDonalds new jailhouse look Nov 16 Ronald 5
Mayor interview Nov 15 LOL 20

Hiawassee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance