Black Panthers in North Georgia

Posted in the Hiawassee Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Abc

Jefferson, GA

#1 Apr 15, 2012
Its been a myth for ages around here, definitely with the elderly generation, that black panthers do exist around here. People have claimed to have seen them and heard them around our area. What are your thoughts about this?
olympic angels

Salt Lake City, UT

#2 Apr 15, 2012
Abc wrote:
Its been a myth for ages around here, definitely with the elderly generation, that black panthers do exist around here. People have claimed to have seen them and heard them around our area. What are your thoughts about this?
they was there when i was a boy. we have heard them i never seen one but i know they were there.
we keep cow feed in 55 gallon drums with towsacks for tops.
every morning the sacks would be pulled out an a hole eat down in the feed, it was a bear. no we did not try to stop him, just did not go to the barn before daylight, that was granda pa bowens farm on scatway.
Early Cyler

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Apr 16, 2012
Are they marching for human rights
Ooo

Hiawassee, GA

#4 Apr 16, 2012
Early Cyler wrote:
Are they marching for human rights
Ooowe, Dumbo, knee slapping stuff.

Since: Oct 12

Ringgold, GA

#5 Oct 2, 2012
I live in Flintstone, Georgia. Just south of Chattanooga. Late one night in July I drove up my driveway to only have a huge cat, dark black, yellow eyes, tail like a small tree limb. The animal was bigger than my german shepard rotweiler mix. When I first saw it I was speechless then my best friend who was in the passenger seat right beside me just looked at me and what the heck we had just seen as ran into the woods. People asked us what we had seen and there was no other explination than it was a black panther. We couldnt describe it any other way. A few months after that I heard the howl or whatever it would be called and it immediately sent chills up my back.
CHathom

Texarkana, TX

#6 Oct 3, 2012
They are a scary site and the sound is terrible!
Rosa

Stone Mountain, GA

#7 Nov 11, 2012
My friends lives in Clermont Georgia, and several neighbors are talking about black panther sightings all week long.
Ken

United States

#9 Nov 15, 2012
My son saw one in Lula two weeks ago.
they

Jefferson, GA

#10 Nov 17, 2012
They are all over Buckhead but seldom roam this far north!!
nathan smith

Dahlonega, GA

#11 Dec 6, 2012
Abc wrote:
saw one in young harris around 1:30 in October you can often hear them scream at night off of ivy log
Rick L

Gainesville, GA

#13 May 30, 2013
I personally seen a black panther 8 years ago on I-85 north dragging a dear carcus of the interstate , I wasnt alone Ui was with a local real estate broker , he also seen the cat , just this week there was one seen on a trail camera in blairsville ga . same region
boots

Jefferson, GA

#14 Jun 4, 2013
They are here,in Hiawasse!Don't let anyone B/S You!!
lol

Blairsville, GA

#16 Jun 5, 2013
Sigh.. "black panthers". I don't even.
Black panthers are leopards or jaguars with excess black pigment melanin. Neither of these species live anywhere near Georgia.
The only big cat species you have the slightest chance of seeing here are what people refer to as Cougar, puma, or mountain lions.. "There are no authenticated cases of truly melanistic cougars. Melanistic cougars have never been photographed or shot in the wild and none has ever been bred. Unconfirmed sightings, known as the "North American black panther", are currently attributed to errors in species identification by non-experts, and by the memetic exaggeration of size." Quote taken from Wikipedia.
intriqued

Blairsville, GA

#18 Sep 26, 2013
Well.....If wikipedia says it's true!
ERD

Jefferson, GA

#19 Sep 28, 2013
lol wrote:
Sigh.. "black panthers". I don't even.
Black panthers are leopards or jaguars with excess black pigment melanin. Neither of these species live anywhere near Georgia.
The only big cat species you have the slightest chance of seeing here are what people refer to as Cougar, puma, or mountain lions.. "There are no authenticated cases of truly melanistic cougars. Melanistic cougars have never been photographed or shot in the wild and none has ever been bred. Unconfirmed sightings, known as the "North American black panther", are currently attributed to errors in species identification by non-experts, and by the memetic exaggeration of size." Quote taken from Wikipedia.
http://forum.gon.com/showthrea d.php?t=667683 Might want to look at this trail camera
ERD

Jefferson, GA

#20 Sep 28, 2013
boots

Adel, GA

#21 Sep 29, 2013
Check Post think their not here.
just sayin

Quitman, GA

#22 Sep 29, 2013
pretty dog
Debbie Leonard

Franklin, GA

#23 Nov 7, 2013
Abc wrote:
I saw a black panther on a mountain in Summerville Georgia. I was hunting with my boyfriend. I saw it and we both heard its "scream". Don't say they don't exist. I know they do. Because I saw one Nov. 2, 2013.
Searching

Young Harris, GA

#24 Nov 8, 2013
ERD wrote:
http://forum.gon.com/showthrea d.php?t=667683
The caption on the picture indicates it's tongue-in-cheek, a spoof probably by the people the cat keeps around to serve him.

Regardless, if you have the math skills, and MUST know the truth, the pole is probably ten or twelve inches in diameter and near vertical, and with that, using grid lines, the size of the cat can easily be determined to within an inch or two.

LOL! The wild-life photographers around here would gladly give their first born, their right arms, ten years of their lives, endure any hardships, take any risks .. for just one shot of the real thing! Ask them; visiting days at the institutions are Tuesdays and Sundays. ;o)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
massage parlor in Blue Ridge 1 hr Edgar 8
Shame on Towns County - Veterans Day Ceremony 1 hr Ditto 16
money question? 1 hr Full of Dookie 10
Road Warrior 3 hr Park n Ride 1
News Election 2017: 3 family members on ballot in ci... 7 hr 1959jack 2
News KKK will rally Saturday in Blairsville (Oct '12) 7 hr Sam 39
Where's Timmy ? 7 hr Sam 34

Hiawassee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance