Hawk's Harbour or Sunset Bay

Posted in the Hiawassee Forum

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Real Estate

Alto, GA

#1 Jun 11, 2009
There seems to be an exceptional amount of activity going on at Hawk's Harbour lately, have some of the condos sold? My wife and I are trying to decide if we would like to locate to the Hawk's cabins or Sunset Bay. We would like a place with few children as full time residents as we are retirees and our children are grown. Any suggestions as to which to choose? We will be contacting our agent tomorrow but wanted to get a head's up from the general public. Much thanks in advance.
Condos

Blairsville, GA

#2 Jun 11, 2009
I know some about both. I would choose Hawks over Sunset.They are solid concrete walls,floors and ceilings. I beleive the developer at sunset is going Bankrupt. I heard even the sales trailer was taken back. That would worry me. Good luck with either.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#3 Jun 11, 2009
Condos wrote:
I know some about both. I would choose Hawks over Sunset.They are solid concrete walls,floors and ceilings. I beleive the developer at sunset is going Bankrupt. I heard even the sales trailer was taken back. That would worry me. Good luck with either.
I wouldn't touch Hawks Harbor.
cloudy

United States

#4 Jun 11, 2009
where is hawks harbor? is that the ones down in that hole by the side of the road. who would want to live there?
Real Estate

Alto, GA

#5 Jun 11, 2009
windbag wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't touch Hawks Harbor.
Would you mind to enlighten me as to why? We currently travel into Hiawassee on the weekends so we know where we like to eat but not a lot about the community. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many times I feel the real estate agents are very biased.
I can Help

United States

#6 Jun 11, 2009
Real Estate wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you mind to enlighten me as to why? We currently travel into Hiawassee on the weekends so we know where we like to eat but not a lot about the community. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many times I feel the real estate agents are very biased.
Whay would you like to know I will be honest with you i have nothing to gain from it at this point i am an ex agemt but know alot abot Hiawassee just ask willing to help
welcome

Young Harris, GA

#7 Jun 11, 2009
Welcome to "The Twilight Zone" That windbag person is in reality Rod Serling.
Condos

Blairsville, GA

#8 Jun 11, 2009
Windbag, I don't think you can make an intelligent statement without reasons. Pros or cons these people requesting advise deserve reasons not ignorance.
Real Estate

Alto, GA

#9 Jun 11, 2009
I can Help wrote:
<quoted text>
Whay would you like to know I will be honest with you i have nothing to gain from it at this point i am an ex agemt but know alot abot Hiawassee just ask willing to help
Thank you so much. I have concerns about which units are better quality. Also as I originally stated my wife and I want to live with other quite couples, nothing against children, but those days are over for me. My wife and I would just like a calm quiet place to live here in the beautiful area of Hiawassee. Do you know anything regarding the structure or management of either of the stated places? We are very nervous about this decision. We have lived in the same house since our first child was born. We will not be selling our house but we love the Hiawassee area so much we would like a place that is "ours" here. Do you have any agents you recommend? We have met with several and have not really seemed to find the right one.
rentone

Jefferson, GA

#10 Jun 11, 2009
There are probably weekend rentals available for both places. I would stay at both before I chose.
Honest

Young Harris, GA

#11 Jun 11, 2009
Quite a while back, our commissioner said in the newspaper that the developer of Hawk's Harbor had violated the set back from the lake - in other words the project should never have been approved because they measured from in the lake.

The commissioner had just been elected to replace the previous commissioner that had died in office, so this happened prior to his tenure. There was no commissioner for a while, so it slipped through the cracks. It was reported that it would cost so much money to do anything about it that they let it go.

Anyone else remember this story?

I don't think you will find very many children at either place. My question is why are you only considering those two places?

Location hidden

#12 Jun 12, 2009
Condos wrote:
Windbag, I don't think you can make an intelligent statement without reasons. Pros or cons these people requesting advise deserve reasons not ignorance.
I saw the construction of both. I stand with my previous statement.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 12, 2009
Condos wrote:
Bankruptcy had little effect on Windjammer so that means nothing. Hawks Harbor is not solid concrete construction, it is pieced together concrete aggregate and yes there is a difference.

Location hidden

#14 Jun 12, 2009
Real Estate wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you so much. I have concerns about which units are better quality. Also as I originally stated my wife and I want to live with other quite couples, nothing against children, but those days are over for me. My wife and I would just like a calm quiet place to live here in the beautiful area of Hiawassee. Do you know anything regarding the structure or management of either of the stated places? We are very nervous about this decision. We have lived in the same house since our first child was born. We will not be selling our house but we love the Hiawassee area so much we would like a place that is "ours" here. Do you have any agents you recommend? We have met with several and have not really seemed to find the right one.
Try using MLS online. This will give you the opportunity to see every property listed by real estate offices. You might also want to subscribe to the local papers to get a look at some for sale by owner properties. Most of the properties that are "managed" are done privately and may not be the type of management you are accustomed to seeing. Just remember that real estate agents represent the seller in nearly every case, so you will have to do your own homework. Good luck.
Amethyst

Douglas, GA

#15 Jun 12, 2009
Real Estate wrote:
There seems to be an exceptional amount of activity going on at Hawk's Harbour lately, have some of the condos sold? My wife and I are trying to decide if we would like to....
I have a beautiful home for sale within the city limits of Hiawassee - not too big - not too small. Very convenient to stores but out far enough to have animal life to obverse from the deck s - lots of trees. Contact me...
passport

Dawsonville, GA

#16 Jun 12, 2009
Real Estate wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with Windbag I would not touch Hawk's either. Primarily b/c of the quality of work that went into the buildings.

I do not know the owners very well but from what I have heard I would do a bit of research if I were you. Stories about leins have been heard.
Sunset Bay

Dawsonville, GA

#17 Jun 12, 2009
I did a lot of work on the Sunset Bay Condos, and was at them for most of the construction process. The on site GC supervisor was a civil engineer and has built everything under the sun from houses to hospitals. Everything was beefed up when it could be. I think a little over half of the units are sold, but most of them are used as vacation condos/townhomes. I know that there are a couple 20 somethings renting one unit but the other 3 or 4 full time residents are older. The noise from the road is also not nearly as bad, and they reduced the price of some of the units $100,000 a few months ago.
former tenant

Dawsonville, GA

#18 Jun 12, 2009
Real Estate wrote:
There seems to be an exceptional amount of activity going on at Hawk's Harbour lately, have some of the condos sold? My wife and I are trying to decide if we would like to locate to the Hawk's cabins or Sunset Bay. We would like a place with few children as full time residents as we are retirees and our children are grown. Any suggestions as to which to choose? We will be contacting our agent tomorrow but wanted to get a head's up from the general public. Much thanks in advance.
I would find a good home and stay clear of all the condos around this lake. The association fees are climbing and will continue to do so. The building was done without inspections and it shows. Whatever you do have a home inspection done. When Hawks Harbor first opened they had a Local Realtor selling them and he was a crook. He lied to us about many things. We tried to alert the owners but they could not care less. I know there are many problems with the condos at the Ridges and the tall ones at the end of the lake. From what I know Sunset Bay might be the least of the evils but I would still not own one.
knowledge

Dawsonville, GA

#19 Jun 12, 2009
Haven't a large majority of sunset bay had major plumbing problems. My plumber has told me stories that crack me up. As a buyer would have every right to have both places looked at by an inspector or GC prior to purchasing. Thats what I would do before listenting to anything on topix. Many posters here have alterior motives.Good luck.
former tenant

Dawsonville, GA

#20 Jun 12, 2009
knowledge wrote:
Haven't a large majority of sunset bay had major plumbing problems. My plumber has told me stories that crack me up. As a buyer would have every right to have both places looked at by an inspector or GC prior to purchasing. Thats what I would do before listenting to anything on topix. Many posters here have alterior motives.Good luck.
From the public records it would appear many of the sales in the complex were to corporations owned by the developer. That is a red flag when the developer buys his own units.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aarons Auto Care Center in Hiawassee 5 hr Lochnoff 4
County Commissioner 7 hr ABC 89
Low Income Housing???? 8 hr citizen 101
Deputy under Investigation by GBI (May '15) 9 hr What 38
Wanting to build in Hiawassee this year. 12 hr Happy Customer 14
What is being built by the Sherwin Williams pai... 12 hr vote 4
Any local electrician recommendations? (Jul '14) 16 hr Great 9
clinton harasses innocent citizens 16 hr Riddles 74
Linda Curtis for Sheriff 17 hr Voter 151
More from around the web