Wondering

Jefferson, GA

#21 Aug 18, 2012
what happened at the game last night? Need an arm chair quarterback's thoughts.
KLan Man

Cleveland, GA

#22 Aug 18, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds to me like someone close to the team. Maybe one of the coaches. From what I know I would say a very good assessment. Unlike the crapola in the paper every week. We have the worst paper in the world when it comes to covering news or sports around here.
well then pack your sh!t and hit the road.
IndianLover

Knoxville, TN

#23 Aug 18, 2012
Indians rolled last nite. Out played Dawson in all 4 quarters. From what I heard about Hayesville, Indians should win this one by 21..... Go Big Blue
Parent

Dawsonville, GA

#24 Aug 19, 2012
I heard two boys got hurt. Does anyone know if that is true or if they are OK?
Qrtbk

Otto, NC

#25 Aug 19, 2012
TCHS should "shake rattle & roll" on Friday nite. Our offense is unstoppable. Might just put up 40-50 on the sweat bees!
Because

Dawsonville, GA

#26 Aug 19, 2012
Qrtbk wrote:
TCHS should "shake rattle & roll" on Friday nite. Our offense is unstoppable. Might just put up 40-50 on the sweat bees!
What was the score?
TCHSFB

Commerce, GA

#27 Aug 19, 2012
no sm wrote:
<quoted text>
and I hope there is no smoking as well
me too! I haven't seen any smoking but I have seen lots of chewing by coaches. It is not allowed during games or anything right?
no sm

Texarkana, TX

#28 Aug 20, 2012
TCHSFB wrote:
<quoted text>
me too! I haven't seen any smoking but I have seen lots of chewing by coaches. It is not allowed during games or anything right?
take a video or pics...since you are "so into videos"....
wrong

Jefferson, GA

#29 Aug 20, 2012
TCHSFB wrote:
<quoted text>
Your wrong coach announced no more dipping he's quitting and has informed everyone else they are to.
Huh

Dawsonville, GA

#30 Aug 21, 2012
IndianLover wrote:
Indians rolled last nite. Out played Dawson in all 4 quarters. From what I heard about Hayesville, Indians should win this one by 21..... Go Big Blue
Don't know which game you watched. TC scored one TD late. Gave up several. One of the QB's went down with a knee but his mother did not carry him off the field this time. Looked like more of the same ol thing to me.
Jelly brain

United States

#31 Aug 21, 2012
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>Your wrong coach announced no more dipping he's quitting and has informed everyone else they are to.
Which would lend one to believe he was aware of a problem with tobacco use by his team and chose to do nothing until now. He was the AD until this year and chose to look the other way because he was the role model the kids were following.
He needs to be fired. Set an example.
Football will be history in High School in ten years. Responsible parents would not let their children play today if they took the time to become informed. Read and learn about the jelly brains.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-08...
Right

Lawrenceville, GA

#32 Aug 21, 2012
Jelly brain wrote:
<quoted text>Which would lend one to believe he was aware of a problem with tobacco use by his team and chose to do nothing until now. He was the AD until this year and chose to look the other way because he was the role model the kids were following.
He needs to be fired. Set an example.
Football will be history in High School in ten years. Responsible parents would not let their children play today if they took the time to become informed. Read and learn about the jelly brains.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-08...
That's right. Boys shouldn't play sports. Too dangerous. They need to sit home on Friday nights and learn to knit and crochet like real men.
Wow

Dawsonville, GA

#33 Aug 21, 2012
Right wrote:
<quoted text> That's right. Boys shouldn't play sports. Too dangerous. They need to sit home on Friday nights and learn to knit and crochet like real men.
Wow, here are a couple excerpts from the story.
He popped Tylenol after practice and took codeine before games to dull the pain. Now 55 and living in Atlanta, he estimates he suffered “130 or 140” concussions during his 14 years as a defensive lineman for the Eagles, Seahawks and Vikings.

Like many former players, Clarke struggles with short-term memory issues and has come up with a unique way to keep himself mentally sharp: He studies languages. First it was Spanish, which he has down pretty well. He has moved on to Portuguese, and he has also dabbled in German. He found the mental aspect of football challenging and rewarding, and that’s what he likes about becoming proficient in Spanish and Portuguese, too. He especially enjoys learning to think in those languages.

Clarke has a big smile and bright eyes. He comes across as honest and curious, bright and thoughtful, a man who is happy with his lot in life and enjoying retirement. On his good days, at least. He has bad ones, too:“I do have depression and thoughts of suicide sometimes.”

Still, there were rare glimpses of the old Perry, like a babbling toddler who blurts out a real word, only instead of those words growing into sentences they stop coming. Edwards went to see his old friend in the facility in which he was living. It was March Madness time.“He didn’t have a clue about the players, the names of the players, or that kind of stuff,” Edwards says.“But he was saying,‘Oh, that kid can’t play.’ Stuff of that nature.‘In my day, I’d whip his butt.’ That was a good day, that last bit of fire I saw in him.”

Perry died not long after that. Doctors believed his dementia was related to head injuries suffered in his NFL career. An autopsy revealed he had CTE—chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a type of brain damage common to people who suffered repeated head injuries. Boston University’s Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy has studied the brains of 19 former NFL players. Eighteen of them had CTE.
Not worth the risk
Cooter

Cleveland, GA

#34 Aug 21, 2012
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, here are a couple excerpts from the story.
He popped Tylenol after practice and took codeine before games to dull the pain. Now 55 and living in Atlanta, he estimates he suffered “130 or 140” concussions during his 14 years as a defensive lineman for the Eagles, Seahawks and Vikings.
Like many former players, Clarke struggles with short-term memory issues and has come up with a unique way to keep himself mentally sharp: He studies languages. First it was Spanish, which he has down pretty well. He has moved on to Portuguese, and he has also dabbled in German. He found the mental aspect of football challenging and rewarding, and that’s what he likes about becoming proficient in Spanish and Portuguese, too. He especially enjoys learning to think in those languages.
Clarke has a big smile and bright eyes. He comes across as honest and curious, bright and thoughtful, a man who is happy with his lot in life and enjoying retirement. On his good days, at least. He has bad ones, too:“I do have depression and thoughts of suicide sometimes.”
Still, there were rare glimpses of the old Perry, like a babbling toddler who blurts out a real word, only instead of those words growing into sentences they stop coming. Edwards went to see his old friend in the facility in which he was living. It was March Madness time.“He didn’t have a clue about the players, the names of the players, or that kind of stuff,” Edwards says.“But he was saying,‘Oh, that kid can’t play.’ Stuff of that nature.‘In my day, I’d whip his butt.’ That was a good day, that last bit of fire I saw in him.”
Perry died not long after that. Doctors believed his dementia was related to head injuries suffered in his NFL career. An autopsy revealed he had CTE—chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a type of brain damage common to people who suffered repeated head injuries. Boston University’s Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy has studied the brains of 19 former NFL players. Eighteen of them had CTE.
Not worth the risk
Sounds like if someone has a boy child, pretty good chance they will turn out queer
Funny

Dawsonville, GA

#35 Aug 22, 2012
Cooter wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like if someone has a boy child, pretty good chance they will turn out queer
You sound like an ignorant, inbred fool who is trying to justify their bad decisions. Keep letting your "boy child" play. But, don't expect me to pay more taxes to support his brain dead butt and his five kids on welfare because he can't think well enough to get a job and stay off the crack pipe.
Sports illustrated story

United States

#37 Aug 22, 2012
Joe DeLamielleure pulls a business card out of his wallet and puts it on his kitchen table. On the card is an explanation of his desire to donate his brain to science. He wants doctors to cut open his skull, take out his brain, slice it into pieces and study it. He says he knows what they’ll find: brain damage.

At 61, he has displayed several hallmarks of CTE—chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a type of brain damage common to people who have suffered head injuries. He bounces in and out of depression, he gets angry for little or no reason, and he has short-term memory loss. Until he recently started taking a controversial supplement, he hadn’t slept through the night in years.

He carries the card everywhere he goes in case he dies suddenly because he wants to make sure Boston University’s Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy gets his brain. His wife and kids carry copies of the card, too.

He estimates he suffered hundreds, if not more than a thousand, concussions in his football career. He was one of the first former NFL players to sign up to donate his brain to Boston University, and more than 500 others have joined him. The center has found CTE in 18 of the 19 former NFL players whose brains it has studied.

It is impossible to know whether a person has CTE until that person dies and an autopsy is performed. But DeLamielleure knows he has CTE, the way a smoker with a wracking cough knows he has lung cancer.

“If I could see a picture of this when I was 28, and somebody said,‘Here’s you sitting with a reporter at 61 with a card donating your brain to science because all the guys are messed up, would you still play?’”

He spits out a one-word answer, like it’s a stupid question.

“No.”

This is a man who loved football so much he says he was addicted to it. This is a man who rarely missed a game in his 13-year NFL career. This is a man enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the pinnacle of pinnacles for American athletes. And if he could do his career over again, he’d skip the NFL and be a teacher or policeman or firefighter instead.
eligible

United States

#38 Aug 23, 2012
Question for the tchs football fans. Does the new football player live with his brother the new assistant principal and if so does the assistant principal have legal custody of him.
PTSO

Commerce, GA

#39 Aug 23, 2012
Sad wrote:
Why do grown ups keep on chewing tobacco around kids? I hope there will be no chewing tobacco on school property this year.
I agree with you. I hope so too.
PTSO

Commerce, GA

#40 Aug 23, 2012
no sm wrote:
<quoted text>
and I hope there is no smoking as well
Amen!
Towns

Commerce, GA

#41 Aug 23, 2012
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
Say something to the new asst. principal. He is also the Athletic Director for HS and MS. Say something to our superintendent. There are signs at the front entrance of the campus that say "tobacco free." Just don't hope...speak up to the right authorities.
But doesn't he chew there too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiawassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arrest reports 15 hr Where 41
Current issues on sheriff 17 hr Rage1 20
no way 19 hr Question 6
Stan Raymond??? (May '11) 23 hr Joe 33
Blairsville online yard sales Sat jamal washington 11
timothy jones aka brian Feb 17 Friendofbarnworkera 3
accident at YHC 2/15 Feb 16 curioUSA 1

Hiawassee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance