Florida investigates complaints about...

Florida investigates complaints about prepaid phone cards

There are 23 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 13, 2008, titled Florida investigates complaints about prepaid phone cards. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Every week, millions of consumers buy prepaid calling cards, primarily to make international calls to family and friends.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Alan

Delray Beach, FL

#1 Apr 13, 2008
No, fine the cheating companies a lot for deceptive practices and then use that money to help teach the immigrants basic ENGLISH.
Osama Obama

United States

#2 Apr 14, 2008
English? Why not aramaic or persian?
Sue Ling

United States

#3 Apr 14, 2008
"Aramaic"? Did you mean "aromatic"?
geesch

AOL

#4 Apr 14, 2008
I have used one of the cards under investigation. When I dialed in it said i had 11 hours of talk time. Ended up being about 2 hours.If it sounds too good to be true...it usually is.
Yeah Right

Miami, FL

#5 Apr 14, 2008
Just by a metro phone. Free long distance, cheaper than cards internatonal.

Since: Apr 07

Tallahassee, FL

#6 Apr 14, 2008
Yeah Right wrote:
Just by a metro phone. Free long distance, cheaper than cards internatonal.
Ah, but you missed the "Some companies, the study said, target poor Hispanic immigrants who may not be fluent in English and often lack the necessary documentation to obtain a cellular-or land-based phone account" from the article.

Lacking in necessary documentation means illegal. I know nothing of pre-paid phones, but don't they require the same docs as a regular cell?
George

United States

#7 Apr 14, 2008
"Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., has proposed legislation to regulate the industry after he used a calling card and got fewer minutes than he purchased. "..........You don't see action until someone at the top is affected.
Look Out

Stuart, FL

#8 Apr 14, 2008
Anytime FL is investigating something it is always not what it seems. But as the money crunch is now on, the only way to drive in any revenue is to REGULATE it into existence. After you regulate there are fees to be paid to the state every year. The fee list can grow substantially for the given piece of regulation. Who pays for these fees? We the people. So this is just another avenue to cut liberty and get directly into your pocket.

Has any of you ever looked at the regulation that governs us in Florida? In Florida, we are at chapter 1013 of statutes. In North Carolina for instance they are at Chapter 168. Wow.... and one thing about regs, they never go away. Anytime someone complains about something the legislators regulates it. The net effect of regulation is loss of liberty and choice. Anyone else feeling squeezed in FL?
disgusted

Miami, FL

#9 Apr 14, 2008
Go Bill!!!
Yeah Right

Miami, FL

#10 Apr 14, 2008
MyPerspective wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but you missed the "Some companies, the study said, target poor Hispanic immigrants who may not be fluent in English and often lack the necessary documentation to obtain a cellular-or land-based phone account" from the article.
Lacking in necessary documentation means illegal. I know nothing of pre-paid phones, but don't they require the same docs as a regular cell?
Not with Metro. No Contract, no SS#.
Brent Kovar

Miami, FL

#11 Apr 14, 2008
There is nothing else the Forida AG can do about the real corruption, they look the other way:

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/story/2008/4...
Brent Kovar

Miami, FL

#12 Apr 14, 2008
Shewcon LLC of Miami, Fla.; Edax Investment Corp. of Nassau, Bahamas; and Core Investments of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.: Involved with drug running:

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/story/2008/4...
Altered Cat

United States

#13 Apr 14, 2008
You don't have to be a non-English speaking immigrant fresh off the boat to be ripped off by a calling card company. My biggest problem with them are hidden fees. I've had a little success getting refunds with them, but it's easier not to do business with those crooks.

“MANGLER”

Since: Dec 06

Atlanta, GA / Seattle, WA

#15 Apr 14, 2008
Nope, and they aren't a pre-paid only phone company either. I'm a citizen, speak English, college grad ... no worries from that stand point, and I still love Metro. They offer flat rate plans that never change and they all have unlimited minutes. Sure, you have to purchase the phones out right up front, but that money is saved within 2 or 4 months of not having to pay the big boys $99 (+$35 in bogus charges and fees) every month for 2 years in order to get the same minutes.

The only downside right now is that their coverage are is limited to mostly in Florida, Atlanta, Southern California, and a few other areas. IF you travel with your phone frequently, it may not be the best company. However, if you are like most people and only leave your metro area on occasion, then it's more than worth it. I'm eagerly anticipating the day Metro's coverage area extends nationwide.
MyPerspective wrote:
<quoted text>
beachbum

Moss Point, MS

#17 Apr 14, 2008
Non,t forget the inmates that have no other source to call out with.They
are really cheated by out of state companies.They are not jailed for theft!!!!!!!
Floridian

Prague, Czech Republic

#18 Apr 14, 2008
These phone cards are a rip-off...I do not use them ....I buy sprint which charges 18 cents a minute to call the Caribbean...much better
ADAM THE MACHO LIFEGUARD

Miami Beach, FL

#19 Apr 14, 2008
Down at the 12th street lifeguard we don't use phone cards. Everybody speaks fluent English and have all their relatives here in the good ole US of A.
So if you need a phone card to phone home get a life. Just remember we don't need any stinking phone cards on the beach. We only need our workouts and good food and guys.
whacko

Boca Raton, FL

#21 Apr 15, 2008
good way to track down the illegals, they all buy those things
Girl from Sunrise

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Apr 15, 2008
Hey, don't you always write in CAPITAL letters? are you an impostor of the real obnoxious yet funny ADAM THE MACHO LIFEGUARD?
ADAM THE MACHO LIFEGUARD wrote:
Down at the 12th street lifeguard we don't use phone cards. Everybody speaks fluent English and have all their relatives here in the good ole US of A.
So if you need a phone card to phone home get a life. Just remember we don't need any stinking phone cards on the beach. We only need our workouts and good food and guys.
DL agent

Miami, FL

#23 Apr 15, 2008
Calling cards can be tricky... They advertise a certain number of minutes, but you have to read the fine print to see that they charge $0.99 per call connection fee, have 6-minute round (meaning a 0:30 call gets charged 6 minutes, a 6:05 call gets charged 12 minutes) and charge you a $1.99 per week for a "maintenance fee." Hence, your $10 card is gone in 10 minutes.

There are some VERY good online-based calling card companies. My wife is from Chile, and we've been using www.nobelcom.com for about 5 and a half years now - the CALL CHILE card in particular. We pay 2.5 cents per minute with no connection fee, 1-minute rounding, and a $0.49 per MONTH maintenance fee. We've spent well over $2,000 for their service and have been very pleased.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hialeah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Manuel 15 min Curious 1
Acewhole Ventura 10 hr ADAM THE MACHO LI... 12
Miriam Fer 20 hr SmallHoove 1
News Miami Beach could allow three medical marijuana... Fri Bois and da hood 1
hear.com Scam (Sep '16) Fri Indian Creek Geek 6
looking for boi Fri Straight Steve 14
Adam The "Matza" LIfeguard Headed to Wanee Apr 20 ADAM THE MACHO LI... 5

Hialeah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance