FEMA flood maps may force more insurance purchases

Full story: Newsday 84
New flood maps for Nassau County could force thousands of previously exempt South Shore property owners to buy flood insurance and, in some cases, adhere to more rigorous building standards. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lucille

Suffern, NY

#87 Mar 1, 2010
I had flood insurance for 3 years until the maps came out in Sept 2009. I have a print out saying my house in Hewlett has 1% chance of flooding in 100 years. So I decided to drop my flood insurance at a cost of $388 per year. Now I was just notified on February 26,2010 that I am in a flood area and must pay between $1800 -$2200 per year.
I am writing my Congresswoman Carolyn Mc Carthy to
reinstate my grandfather clause to $388 per year.
What a rip off. They inform you when you are out of options to pay the lower price. I can't see how Seniors or young families can stay here anymore....

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#88 Mar 3, 2010
Lucille wrote:
I had flood insurance for 3 years until the maps came out in Sept 2009. I have a print out saying my house in Hewlett has 1% chance of flooding in 100 years. So I decided to drop my flood insurance at a cost of $388 per year. Now I was just notified on February 26,2010 that I am in a flood area and must pay between $1800 -$2200 per year.
What a rip off. They inform you when you are out of options to pay the lower price. I can't see how Seniors or young families can stay here anymore....
good luck but you will get no relief. my mortgage company forgot to pay my flood bill one year so the policy was canceled. reinstatement cost more - my only relief was to get my mortgage company to pay the difference, which I did. You, on the other hand, canceled your own policy for merely pecuniary reasons. And if you do not get flood isurance, yoour mortgage company-bank can call in your note for breach of conditions - unless flood insurance was not an original requirement of the loan - if not, you may have an argument that they cannot impose a new requirement on you. but if you bought your house within the past 15 years, I am sure you had a flood requirement.

good going.
JoGo

AOL

#89 May 24, 2011
The new FEMA maps have so many people paying more. If you were grandfathered in (already had flood insurance before it was required)I paid $390. but I am told that at the end of the 2 year moratorium, we will be paying closer to $2000. a year. Now, for me, that is more than I can afford with the prospect of heating oil doubling in price. This is so unfair to do to people in any economy, especially since nobody will collect in this part of the country..so we are paying for everyone else and yet we will never collect from this insurance. People have to start complaining or we will not be able to live.
JoGo

AOL

#90 May 24, 2011
Lucille wrote:
I hate to tell you but everyone will be paying that $1800 -$2000. price tag. The lower rate was for 2 years and then the bomb drops..but Chuck Schumer has extended the moratorium for 5 years and has called for a new look at the maps, one that will hopefully take us out of the flood zone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hewlett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Six LI Catholic Elementary Schools to Close (Dec '11) 6 hr 31 years an RN 266
Nassau County Court and Family Court judges (Nov '08) Thu Careless Crecca 69
Review: A Better World Real Estate (Oct '10) Dec 17 Chae 35
Review: Al's One Stop Auto (Aug '11) Aug '14 Yanique 56
Review: Hewlett Medical Office PC - Andre G Ser... (Jun '10) Apr '14 Alisha R 12
3-year-old girl drowns in Hewlett swimming pool (Jul '07) Feb '14 A Rich Tightwad 37
Review: J&J Shoe Repair (Oct '13) Oct '13 Melisa Cohen 1

Hewlett News Video

Hewlett Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hewlett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hewlett News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hewlett

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News