Residency Debate Rages On; Massena Vi...

Residency Debate Rages On; Massena Village Board Discusses Waiver For Firefighter

There are 8 comments on the Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal story from Mar 18, 2010, titled Residency Debate Rages On; Massena Village Board Discusses Waiver For Firefighter. In it, Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal reports that:

Uncertainty regarding residency requirements for village employees continues to plague the Massena Village Board of Trustees, prompting a lengthy debate among board members and an angry speech from a village taxpayer this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal.

News Watcher

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Mar 19, 2010
Who cares. As long as hes at the station for his shifts does it really matter? They need to throw that law out and ammend it with village or town residents deserve first choice.
dre

Saranac Lake, NY

#2 Mar 19, 2010
why would u say that? wouldnt you like your hard earned tax dollars go back into the town. i like that rule, because if these people are going to get paid by the massena's tax payers money then that person should have to live in our town so they can pay their land taxes and school taxes right here as opposed to maybe living in norfolk and giving that money to the norwood/norfolk school instead of massena central. doesnt that make more sense? lets try to keep that money in our community not someone else's i guess is what i am trying to say.

Since: Jan 10

Ithaca, NY

#3 Mar 19, 2010
dre wrote:
why would u say that? wouldnt you like your hard earned tax dollars go back into the town. i like that rule, because if these people are going to get paid by the massena's tax payers money then that person should have to live in our town so they can pay their land taxes and school taxes right here as opposed to maybe living in norfolk and giving that money to the norwood/norfolk school instead of massena central. doesnt that make more sense? lets try to keep that money in our community not someone else's i guess is what i am trying to say.
some people live in norfolk and pay massena school taxes!
News Watcher

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Mar 19, 2010
It now appears that state law say's he should only be required to live in the county. I agree with you that Massena jobs should first be considered to massena residents and should be mandatory for public officials but the law as it now can be waived and if the state law of 1997 is true, he can move outside the town or village if he chooses as long as he stay's in St. Lawrence county.
dre

Saranac Lake, NY

#5 Mar 19, 2010
thanks for the clarification it is nice to get to know the laws of such things and the town should release a statement that explains this in detail to the public so the people would not get so bitter all of the time and this would eliviate some of the chaos. thanks
News Watcher

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Mar 20, 2010
The state law is being researched by the village attorney. Take a look at the newspaper article link at the top of this thread and click on Full Story. It explains what they are doing and what we may be faced with in the future.

Since: Jan 10

Ithaca, NY

#7 Mar 24, 2010
Well all I can say is the reason for this is obvious! If people go to board meetings you will see reactions on the board when they hire someone.Point in case what is the first thing Herb Deshais ask when they do hire someone "DO YOU LIVE IN THE VILLAGE" did he ask that question in last turmoil hiring NO.Makes you wonder why.Having emailed other communities around N.Y. about there laws for hire and residency laws they responded NO! point in case Suffern N.Y. they told me as long as they can get to work in a 15 min. window in case of snow removal or other work related things they are ok with it.Why you might ask Suffern I emailed because they have the same pop. as we do here.Maybe other communities do this because they know it will go to court and spend money to do it and the outcome will not be in there favor.Past practice in Massena when someone asked to move outside the village after being hired and been there for awhile they say yes!The phrase of PAST PRACTICE holds alot of water in court for this young fireman!
Matches from the grave

Massena, NY

#8 Mar 27, 2010
Should not be a problem so long as he lives with mr. Basford

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heuvelton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help with Lincoln Provenance Sat searching 2
A list of all the cases our D.A. D_ve has misha... (Oct '13) Jun 24 victimofcorruptsy... 13
News Parishville man pleads guilty to sex abuse of boy Jun 22 Forrest 1
Management's Facts or Pulp Fiction? Jun 22 Not What Happened 3
Ms. Management? Nothing But A Bully and A Thud! Jun 22 Not Your Kingdom 3
EnvironMental? DepartMental? JudgeMental? Detri... Jun 22 Stand Or Fall 4
Don't Give Up! Don't Quit YOUR Job! Jun 22 Fight Back 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Heuvelton Mortgages