Hesperia toddler chokes on grape duri...

Hesperia toddler chokes on grape during car ride

There are 53 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Sep 11, 2009, titled Hesperia toddler chokes on grape during car ride. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

A 2-year-old Hesperia boy riding in a vehicle with a family member died after choking on a grape Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
satan

Venice, CA

#41 Sep 17, 2009
Tracheostomy Procedure Information by MedicineNet.com
Read about tracheostomy procedure, used to create an opening in the neck to bypass an obstructed airway.
Dont Be So Stupid

Hesperia, CA

#42 Sep 17, 2009
satan wrote:
Read about tracheostomy procedure, used to create an opening in the neck to bypass an obstructed airway.
That would require a little thought and energy on behalf of the P.A. and other staff at the clinic. As I said in my earlier post, I will NEVER go there again. I'd rather go to the corner witch doctor.....
Dag

AOL

#43 Sep 18, 2009
satan wrote:
Why didn't the paramedics or emergency room doctors try this?
Mad in the desert

Adelanto, CA

#44 Sep 18, 2009
I think you people have been watching too many McGaver shows. A trach is not an end all solution to the situation. It is a horrible skill that allows airflow through a very small tube. There are much easier ways to approach the problem of choking.......REMOVE IT. The grape was removed by Paramedics with a Magill Forceps. Before we all start demanding to know why a trach was not done by the clinic staff lets start small and ask why there was no CPR, Airway management or BLS attempt to remove the grape. Lets start there.
Ann

Barstow, CA

#45 Sep 19, 2009
Veterano wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? If so, it will come out in the coroners inquest. I'm curious as to why you continue to go there if they're so lazy and incompetent. There must be other place you could go. And to make a judgement like that you must have gone there numerous times. Otherwise you would be judging them on one visit?
This is the desert with very little industrial development and there is not really any choices where we go for urgent care. Dr. Mike's is the only place to go for a lot of people here.
Ann

Barstow, CA

#46 Sep 19, 2009
Silly Wabbit wrote:
If you read my previous posts you would know that I did not say anything insinuating that I think it was okay not to try to help him...
As I said, we are just going on the notion that if it is true what was said and they didn't even lift a finger, then they are negligent. You were quick to condemn only the caretaker and assumed yourself the clinic was correct and came up with your own scenario. Obviously Mad in the desert has some insight into what happened and being that he or she lives right next to Victorville in Helendale, I'm going on the notion she may be right. I'm not condemning them either unless it is true. But living in Victorville where it happened and and knowing this area well, it doesn't surprise me if it is true and I lean towards believing it. You don't have the facts in front of you but still are assuming things in favor of the clinic. If you read the article again, it says the boy died at the hospital. No matter how far the grape was, you at least check it and attempt even the minimal. I have never heard of anyone, even a toddler dying from injuries after CPR or the Heimlich Maneuver performed by a "professional". Usually the worst that can happen are broken ribs and or a broken breast bone. To risk death over non life threatening injuries due to CPR is absurd. And if the grape was far embedded and may have risked his life trying to remove it, then why was the officer attempting to? The clinic would have informed him not to. And the paramedics got it out when they took over? If so, then no doubt he died as a result of being without oxygen for too long. And the critical time would have been when he was in the clinics hands. If a paramedic could get it out, so could trained medical staff... they have the same knowledge any paramedic would have. Dr. Mike's is a walk in clinic and considered the same as an Urgent Care. They should be equipped and trained to deal with anyone choking and attempt to get an airway no matter what. Again going on the notion of them doing nothing. If they really did everything they could have, then OK, but I find it VERY ODD that the officer was attempting anything.. that tells me the clinic, an urgent care was doing nothing!!
people are idiots

United States

#47 Sep 19, 2009
Furious in Fontana wrote:
first of all a 2 year old should be kept an eye on especially when consuming foods founds to be most prone to choking on, a completely avoidable tragedy and how the hell doesn't the caregiver clue into a choking child and perform some kind of basic CPR for Pete's Sake!
hey smartness. I know these people. They are very kind parents, and while yes its unfortunate that this occured. your retarded for saying that the caregiver shouldve responded. for your information dumbass. they did. but obviously it didnt help. it was his time to go. no one can make that decision only god. your are such a freakin moron. and instead of trying to judge people, put yourself in their position before you even say anything else in the future idiot.
satan

Venice, CA

#48 Sep 22, 2009
it was his time to go ?you are the moron under their care he is lucky he lived as long as he did.go play on the freeway if you get hit i guess it was your time to go huh jackass.to die at the dawn of life over something so avoidable it confounds me you have some twisted thinking.
people are idiots wrote:
<quoted text>
hey smartness. I know these people. They are very kind parents, and while yes its unfortunate that this occured. your retarded for saying that the caregiver shouldve responded. for your information ****. they did. but obviously it didnt help. it was his time to go. no one can make that decision only god. your are such a freakin moron. and instead of trying to judge people, put yourself in their position before you even say anything else in the future idiot.
Partida

AOL

#49 Sep 22, 2009
people are idiots wrote:
<quoted text>
hey smartness. I know these people. They are very kind parents, and while yes its unfortunate that this occured. your retarded for saying that the caregiver shouldve responded. for your information ****. they did. but obviously it didnt help. it was his time to go. no one can make that decision only god. your are such a freakin moron. and instead of trying to judge people, put yourself in their position before you even say anything else in the future idiot.
You know, anyone here with a brain knows that whether you know these people or not doesn't change the fact that this child died because he was allowed to eat something that should not be given unsupervised to a toddler. Sorry, but you can make all the excuses you want, that it "was his time to die", or the clinic didn't save him, or the hospital didn't save him or any other excuse. But it doesn't change the fact that it was the grape that took his life away. And had he not been given that grape, or at least given it properly, by the adult holding the grape and letting him bit off little pieces, he would be alive today.

That being said, of course it was a tragic accident. But still, it was an accident that could have been avoided if proper care had been taken. His parents didn't mean to make that mistake. Like a lot of other people, they probably just didn't know any better. Not all parents sit and read books to better prepare them to raise children. It doesn't mean they are bad parents. It doesn't mean they should be persecuted. They made a mistake. But nevertheless, it doesn't help anyone to try to spare their feelings and pretend they didn't do something wrong that resulted in their child losing his life. They need to be aware that this was not "just an accident", but the result of them doing something wrong. Because if they have other children they need to be aware of what they did and how it caused this death. They can't learn from this is if they don't face reality.
Ann

Barstow, CA

#50 Sep 22, 2009
You two are idiots... he/she never said anything about the grape being the wrong thing. They were responding to an arse that assumed the caretaker didn't do anything and was an a s s about it. God you people are... wow, nevermind. I think they have learned from it the day it happened you @#$%.
Retired LAPD

Eugene, OR

#51 Sep 22, 2009
Ann wrote:
You two are idiots... he/she never said anything about the grape being the wrong thing. They were responding to an arse that assumed the caretaker didn't do anything and was an a s s about it. God you people are... wow, nevermind. I think they have learned from it the day it happened you @#$%.
Ann, are you retarded, or just plain ignorant? The two you are addressing are making a point, and I think they are making it quite well. They were simply responding to some posts that are trying to deflect all blame away from the parents, or simply ignoring the fact that the parents actions put their child into a grave condition and instead are attempting to make a scapegoat of the clinic.
Ann

Barstow, CA

#52 Sep 25, 2009
They were responding to the one post and just attacking them for something they didn't even say and they did say it was unfortunate. It pissed me off. Most of the people here including myself agree that it was stupid to give the kid a grape or what I said... "never give a young child ANY food in a moving vehicle". Bottom line, that was the cause. BUT!! We were addressing the other side of it that IF the clinic did nothing then they are negligent too. Nobody is blaming just the clinic but they do have a responsibility when people f u c k up like that and people do it all the time so you better expect it like it or not. Pay attention before you call me retarded... and you are a retired cop?!! Talk to me like that... f u c k you!
sandy

Houston, TX

#53 Apr 18, 2012
my friend's daughter died yesterday, she choked on a grape.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hesperia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denise mariscal 17 hr Tamarindofv 5
Devin Nunes (May '17) Feb 17 Who 34
Justice Feb 15 Tamarindofv 9
Review: Apple Valley Town Mall Development Feb 8 APPLE VALLEY TOWN... 60
News Packing up, moving out: People leaving Californ... Feb 7 Solarman 1
tulare county grand jury complaints being cover... (Mar '17) Feb 5 Who 4
Poll Tulare County Sheriff's Department Above The Law ? (Mar '15) Feb 5 Who 59

Hesperia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance