Hesperia toddler chokes on grape duri...

Hesperia toddler chokes on grape during car ride

There are 53 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Sep 11, 2009, titled Hesperia toddler chokes on grape during car ride. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

A 2-year-old Hesperia boy riding in a vehicle with a family member died after choking on a grape Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
roberto

Hesperia, CA

#1 Sep 11, 2009
come on now its freaking common sense the give 2 year old kid grapes, hotdogs,creamsaver
candy because they wiil joke,this could of been avoided
roberto

Hesperia, CA

#2 Sep 11, 2009
sorry about the first post my son thought he could type ,come on now its freaking common sense dont give a 2 year old kid grapes, hotdogs or creamsaver candy because they wiil choke,this could of been avoided
curious

Riverside, CA

#3 Sep 11, 2009
evidently the parents didn't read that page of the owner's manual
Mad in the desert

Adelanto, CA

#4 Sep 11, 2009
This is not the whole story! It leaves out MANY of the facts and true events to the story. This child was taken to Dr Mikes walk-in clinic where they did NOTHING. They called 911 and no treatment was given until that SBCo Deputy arrived at the Dr office. The office did not even act in the basic of manner that most people can do! This medical clinic failed to act and for this I hope they will be punished!
Furious in Fontana

Huntington Beach, CA

#5 Sep 11, 2009
first of all a 2 year old should be kept an eye on especially when consuming foods founds to be most prone to choking on, a completely avoidable tragedy and how the hell doesn't the caregiver clue into a choking child and perform some kind of basic CPR for Pete's Sake!
MNJ AZ

Casa Grande, AZ

#6 Sep 11, 2009
Incidents like this happen all the time. Children choke on food that they would normally eat all the time. All of you people posting this horrible stuff should really rethink what you said because this could have been your child choking and passing away from a simple piece of bread or cookie. My heart goes out to the parents and to this little boy that has become his parents angel and you are all in my prayer.
A little late

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Sep 11, 2009
Parents, this is a sad turn of events that the childs parents will never live down. The reality of it is it probably could have been prevented by not giving foods to a child they cant chew or swallow. Secondly, every parent or care giver in the world should have a first aid/CPR class. The parent could have pulled the child out of the car seat, done the heimlic and/or administered resuce breathing until paramedics arrived. This is very sad news and I pray for the family. Parents use this as a reminder of how this could be prevented.
motherof 2

Hood River, OR

#8 Sep 11, 2009
this is not the whole story and the only one that can judge is God himself, everyone quick to judge need to look at themselves first...it is a tradegy and kids are kids, and there are many people who are trained in the routine of CPR and what not and still cannot do it on a moments notice it is sad that there are people out there that want to critize the "care givers" without even knowing the whole truth. Savino Lopez and Family you are in my prayers.
heather in rancho

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#9 Sep 12, 2009
This is so sad. I will be praying for the family.
Haters

Hesperia, CA

#10 Sep 12, 2009
While the caregiver may not have used the best judgment in the food provided to the child, WOW, what's with all the hatred? It's not like the parents were cooking meth or shooting guns and the child was killed. They made a simple mistake, one that any one of us could make with our own children.

Rather than getting on a soap-box with your holier than thow attitude why not show a little compassion for the parents that will have to live in their own personal hell for the rest of their lives.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the Lopez family and I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers.
Horrible Society

Colton, CA

#11 Sep 12, 2009
I get so tired of reading all the negative comments, but at the same time by reading the postings I can tell who is a normal person and who needs help. This family is going through hell right now and some of you hateful people can not even give a condolence. It appears the negative people do not have children, if they did they would know and understand. I am sure when that person gave the child the grape, he or she had no clue this was going to happen. These things are called ACCIDENTS!
RIP

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#12 Sep 12, 2009
My heart goes out to the family. The child is in gods hands now..
Mad In The Desert

Riverside, CA

#13 Sep 12, 2009
I hope the papers do more digging into this and find out the TRUE FULL story. Why does the article leave out the fact that this mother stopped at Dr Mikes walk in clinic. I would expect the staff there would be trained at a higher level than the general public. If it is a PA or an MD they still should at a minimum follow american hearts guidlines. Instead these workers did NOTHING. They called 911 until a deputy arrived and the what do they do. They give care over to him until the Paramedics arrived.
This was an accident and the people who have issues with mom need to wake up and join the real work. Kids are kids and if you think you can keep them in a sealed bubble their whole childhood so they don't get hurt you are wrong. Things happen and I am sure she will never forgive herself. So lets focus on what is important......What needs to happen to DR MIKES WALK IN CLINIC
Shocked

Victorville, CA

#14 Sep 12, 2009
So sad, the family is in my thoughts and prayers!
satan

Venice, CA

#15 Sep 12, 2009
why didn't the person with the boy just get a sharp object and poke a hole in his throat so he could at least breath thats only common sense .
satan

Venice, CA

#16 Sep 12, 2009
a hole why is that blocked
Silly Wabbit

AOL

#17 Sep 12, 2009
Mad in the desert wrote:
This is not the whole story! It leaves out MANY of the facts and true events to the story. This child was taken to Dr Mikes walk-in clinic where they did NOTHING. They called 911 and no treatment was given until that SBCo Deputy arrived at the Dr office. The office did not even act in the basic of manner that most people can do! This medical clinic failed to act and for this I hope they will be punished!
If you hope someone will be punished, first look at the cause, not the response. The clinic did not leave grapes where a baby could get it. The clinic did not let the child choke. They weren't the clinics grapes. Obviously the problem was beyond what the clinic could do. A clinic is NOT an emergency room and should never be used for emergencies and should not be expected to save a life. Only minor medical problems. Clinics always call for outside help such as paramedics for emergencies.
But you're right, someone should be punished. The parents for not supervising and making sure the grapes were out of reach of a child. It's a well-known fact that grapes can NEVER be given to a baby or toddler. Grapes are sometimes held between the fingers of an adult so the child can suck on the juice of a grape, but even that is dangerous if the grape slips from the fingers of the adult. If you give grapes to a toddler, you are risking it's life.

Also, by the way, grapes are deadly for dogs. They are on the list of things that should never be left where a dog can get them.
MNJ AZ

Casa Grande, AZ

#18 Sep 12, 2009
A child can choke on anything...not just grapes. It hurts so much to read all the negative posts about what happened to this child. He probably ate grapes all the time and wasn't a problem...he might have accidentally inhaled a piece of grape while he was chewing...either way it was nobodys fault, but i do agree that the clinic should have done something...every clinic personal should be trained in CPR and the Heimlich maneuver its sad that the staff was not. Like in my first post i will be praying for him as i to know what it feels like to lose a child. You are in my prayers.
Mad In The Desert

Riverside, CA

#19 Sep 12, 2009
Well Silly Wabbit It is amazing how out of touch with reality you are. Are you feeding all of your children baby food? While your at it you might as well put all your food in the blender so you don't choke. If you did choke on a peice of meat it would be the stores fault where you bought it...or maybe the cattle rancher who raised the cow. Give me a break. Are you really suggesting the mother be punished? it was an accident. Kids can choke on anything.

As far as you giving a PASS to Dr Mikes walk in clinic....wow I really don't know where to begin. This place is at minimum staffed with a physicians assistant sometimes an MD. You are telling me they should not have acted with this child and simply call 911??? No BLS airway management? No CPR? No attempt to relieve the obstruction? These are basic things that most people in the community know. When you abandon the patient and do NOTHING you fail in every way! So try is you think you have it in you silly. Try and defend your foolish statements. I dare you. For the mother and family I feel bad. This is something they will not get over........it was an unfortunate ACCIDENT
SpenglerX

Claremont, CA

#20 Sep 12, 2009
A comment above mentioned that the parents did not read their owners manual, maybe it was in english.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hesperia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Newporter Apartments (Aug '12) Oct 18 Josie 3
Alicia........................Got Boogers Oct 17 Who 2
Devin Nunes Oct 17 Who 15
News Cafe Rio Mexican Grill cuts giant burrito as pa... Oct 15 Judy Busch 1
VISALIA home of the homewrecking ho's? Oct 14 BlackMagickWoman 1
10 Top Worst Restaurants Oct 12 Comments 1
Metrolink Quiet Zones - City of Hesperia Oct 12 HESPERIA METROLIN... 12

Hesperia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance