herrin hosp knocks out teeth

Posted in the Herrin Forum

Shootingstar

Carterville, IL

#1 May 11, 2012
I had minor surgery at Herrin hospital and when I came to my two front teeth were broken and I had to have them pulled. This happened on a Friday and I couldnt see a dentist till Monday so you can imagine the pain! The OR nurse said it was my own fault for biting the tube they put down my throat- even though I was unconscious and didnt know if I was biting or not! Herrin hospital refused to pay any of the dental bill. The lawyer I talked to said I probably had a case but the amount I would be awarded would not make it worthwhile for a lawyer to take the case on. Since then I have heard of a least 2 other people this has happened to. If there are a lot of us then we could do a class action suit. If there are indeed a lot of us, something is horrible wrong with the OR at that hospital. This should be a rare incident and not something that happens very often!

Since: Apr 12

Carterville, IL

#2 May 11, 2012
LOL, if I was about to die, I would trust a witch-doctor more than Herrin Hospital lol.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#3 May 12, 2012
The tube in your throat is soft plastic. Your teeth being broken was from the tool they use to insert the tube. Broken teeth means they did it wrong and you should definitely have a case.
what

Herrin, IL

#4 Aug 24, 2012
Sounds like bs to me. You got fired. Aw. Stop spreading bull. They have malpractice insurance for a reason. You would be referred to some patient relations board, and a lawyer would know this. You didn't mention any facts, so I am calling bullshirt on this one. No hospital is going to risk losing accredidation over something so minor. And a lawyer knows you would have a case. Unless you were combative and mething out.... In which case you caused your own issue. Also, Your insurance wouldn't pay them for the procedure they did, that caused this supposed event, if it did indeed happen as you say. Since you never posted again, it's safe to draw the bs conclusion.
Shootingstar IL

Carterville, IL

#5 Aug 28, 2012
This is not bull! I am in my 50's, have a respectable job, and do not do drugs! I have insurance. The OR staff and recovery room nurse knows it happened. So does my family who were waiting in my room when I was wheeled back from OR. The lawyer never said I didnt have a case- he just said that since I would not get mega bucks out of it that he and most other lawyers would not take it on. I did not want to get rich- just pay dental fees and a couple grand for pain and suffering! The lawyer would have got most of it if he took the case. I later found out that hospitals have patient advocates but too late now. I doubt it would have done much good anyway. If you still doubt my story ask some of the nurses who work there
Nurse

Herrin, IL

#6 Aug 31, 2012
Well I do work there and if this is the case I know about, your teeth were already damaged and there was no way for us to have done much of anything without affecting them. It's regrettable this happened but unfortunately typical that some people take no responsibility for themselves.
Shootingstar IL

Carterville, IL

#7 Sep 1, 2012
Nurse from Herrin- You must be thinking of a different case which is why I originally posted anyway- to see how many others there were. I had one tooth that was a little crooked but no other problems
For Heavens Sake

Herrin, IL

#8 Jan 5, 2013
Lets be honest. Who performed the procedure? Not the hospital or the nurses. Who used their hands to put the instrument down your throat? Not the hospital or the nurses. Who was in control of the entire procedure? Say it with me...NOT THE HOSPITAL OR THE NURSES! Why are you angry at the people who were there simply to make sure you survived the procedure?
It's like trying to sue the person taking the tickets at the movies because you didn't like the show.
really

Enfield, IL

#9 Jan 5, 2013
The tube could not have done that unless maybe your teeth are lose. When u intubate someone they have a metal or plastic instrument that they place down your throat and pull back to see your airway to insert the tube....if done carefully you can do this without damaging the teeth.... I have done plenty and never chipped any teeth. Now some are easier than others...say if are a 130lbs vs 300 lbs. some airways are easier that others.
Wow

United States

#10 Jan 12, 2013
Wow, if you are a nurse you would know you aren't supposed to talk about patients on here. He has every right to complain and ask for advice but I'm pretty certain if he shows how's he is being treated by someone stating they are hospital staff on this very topic you are causing him more pain and suffering. I bet if he finds the right attorney who might charge a lesser fee he will have a case.

I had minor procedures I don't recall a warning about teeth in minor procedures but in major surgeries they do which I did have but considering my family member died from staph and pneumonia after surgery from a local hospital I'd never ever use their services.

I prefer St. Louis but I did have a surgery done by a local ENT awhile back but that was done in a nice surgical center and went well. I hope they open more surgical centers in Southern IL. Otherwise it's Barnes or no surgery for me :) The entire staff is excellent even the billing & registration. My daughter was mistreated by staff in southern il when she had surgery so never ever again when you have Cardinal Glennon's who actually cares from start to finish they even don't want blood draws to be painful or iv's.

So nurse you shouldn't discuss his case or presume you know openly on topix that's a violation of HIPAA I know this I worked in the medical profession. It's also down right unfriendly and is giving your hospital an even more bad reputation and I know they investigate you can't speak on behalf of a hospital on an open forum!!!
Wheres the nurse nowadays

Lampasas, TX

#11 Jan 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
Wow, if you are a nurse you would know you aren't supposed to talk about patients on here. He has every right to complain and ask for advice but I'm pretty certain if he shows how's he is being treated by someone stating they are hospital staff on this very topic you are causing him more pain and suffering. I bet if he finds the right attorney who might charge a lesser fee he will have a case.
I had minor procedures I don't recall a warning about teeth in minor procedures but in major surgeries they do which I did have but considering my family member died from staph and pneumonia after surgery from a local hospital I'd never ever use their services.
I prefer St. Louis but I did have a surgery done by a local ENT awhile back but that was done in a nice surgical center and went well. I hope they open more surgical centers in Southern IL. Otherwise it's Barnes or no surgery for me :) The entire staff is excellent even the billing & registration. My daughter was mistreated by staff in southern il when she had surgery so never ever again when you have Cardinal Glennon's who actually cares from start to finish they even don't want blood draws to be painful or iv's.
So nurse you shouldn't discuss his case or presume you know openly on topix that's a violation of HIPAA I know this I worked in the medical profession. It's also down right unfriendly and is giving your hospital an even more bad reputation and I know they investigate you can't speak on behalf of a hospital on an open forum!!!
So I agree the nurse is shkwing bad form . Small enough hopsital famt be that many or nurses would be easy to track down I would assume. T the very least id print this thread ajd show the herrin admin bec so. RETRAINING is in order. I cant wait to see the nurses reply tho. Legitimization in 3....2....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herrin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hung 2 hr poo 2
leah Tue Gunter 2
BreanneJeralds Tue justbeinghonest 7
angela michelle lawless case (Mar '10) Oct 20 Just curious 59
school board (Feb '13) Oct 20 fed up 14
Anybody know a Mark Troehler? (Jul '11) Oct 20 Bein honest 19
Steve Campbell Oct 20 Laura 3
Herrin Dating
Find my Match

Herrin Jobs