Brewer Foundation
Shocked Teacher

Dubuque, IA

#1 Mar 26, 2011
If anyone is involved with the Brewer Foundation, please go back over your applications from Marion and question the guidance counselors about the students behavior. Several of the students you have chosen for interviews are NOT outstanding students. Many of them have been suspended for bullying, drinking at school funtions and even arrested for shoplifting. I am sure you have not been given any of this information and I highly doubt Mr. Brewer wants this type of student receiving funds for college that will probably go for bail or liquor!! Several well deserving students have been over looked. This is not your fault it is that of our guidance counselors and principal for NOT informing you.
nword

Valdosta, GA

#2 Mar 27, 2011
why dont you call them and complain you dumb bitch.
Shocked Teacher

Dubuque, IA

#3 Mar 27, 2011
Thank you nword but I really cannot afford to lose my job.
herrinite

Catlett, VA

#4 Mar 29, 2011
Shocked Teacher wrote:
just call the brewer foundation. u dont have 2 give ur name, just tell them 2 look into behavor issues
Paren

Dubuque, IA

#5 Apr 4, 2011
herrinite wrote:
<quoted text>just call the brewer foundation. u dont have 2 give ur name, just tell them 2 look into behavor issues
I did that and the lady who answered the phone didn't seem to care. I also asked if there was any verrifications done on the applications and I was told no. So basically, the kids can put on there that they do all kinds of activities and are involved in things that they really aren't. Also, they can (for lack of a better word) lie about their parents income. This is just unbelievable to me that such a large amount of money is doled out without any checks and balances.
bummed

O Fallon, MO

#6 Jun 10, 2011
as a student who didn't get the brewer, i agree with the shocked teacher. there was maybe one student in my class who deserved it. all the others were rich kids and party animals who came to school hung over monday morning. it just goes to show that it all comes down to who you know. if i knew i wouldn't get any scholarships AT ALL i probly wouldn't have kept up my 4.0 all through high school.
Blacksheep

Herrin, IL

#7 Jun 7, 2012
Niether one of you have a clue, the foundation was set up by one of Herrin fines gentleman. If you want the answer to any questions talk to Marie Delaney she is the one in charge. There are to other workers there but neither one of them could know as much as Marie. As far a checks on income not sure, but as fair to every student they are. And it's not for just rich kids, on ther contery, it was set up to benfit the average student who was less likely to receive it from a college. The student is the determining factor there interview an SA , so don't talk about thing u know about. The Brewers were rich, but from hard work and determination to succeed. Bob Brewer made this gift to the community to past on the nessary tools, to your children so the afforded the opportunity to do what he did. Make something for nothIng but the desire to succeed. So next time check your facts.
Parent

Boynton Beach, FL

#8 Jun 7, 2012
@ Blacksheep give me a break!!! It is an excellent foundation! But fair? That is a joke!! Several of the students are making money by going to John A and receiving thousands of dollars in scholarship money including the Brewer. Verifying income is not done and several students mislead the foundation that the were employed because they were told that would help them get the Brewer. A little more verifying of facts and a little less just going off an interview might work better. Some kids are excellent actors! Several students who received the Brewer last year have already dropped out. What a waste for someone who missed out. I say just check the facts a little better. The Brewer IS a wonderful foundation!
Student

Marion, IL

#9 Sep 11, 2012
As a student who actually received the Brewer Foundation Scholarship, I am offended by these "categorized comments". I personally never have drank or done any sort of the behavior mentioned in previous comments. I was an active student throughout high school in multiple clubs and in two different sports and maintained a 3.3 gpa while working about 30 hours a week. For the people who have been saying that "rich kids" only get the scholarship, I am going to prove you wrong. My dad works two jobs pulling about 70 hours a week and my mom works constantly through out the week. I am going to John A. Logan on a different scholarship and the money I am getting from the Brewer Foundation is going directly into a scholarship account for the rest of my schooling. The Brewer foundation is on the best things that's ever happened to me. If you want to bash the foundation then you need to get your facts straight. I do agree that a few of the people didn't deserve the scholarship but you can't try to act like everyone who received it this year is a low life. Let me just say this, if you knew who I am and what my values, morals, and ultimate goals, you wouldn't be saying any of these derogatory statements. Also "Shocked Teacher" if you want to bad mouth the students you have previously taught, then maybe you need to speak up but not in incognito. Have you ever thought that some of the teachers are horrible influences but apparently you wouldn't want to speak up. Because you wouldn't want to lose your job over it...

Sincerely,
A Brewer Foundation Winner
HerrinCheer33

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jul 9, 2013
Student wrote:
As a student who actually received the Brewer Foundation Scholarship, I am offended by these "categorized comments". I personally never have drank or done any sort of the behavior mentioned in previous comments. I was an active student throughout high school in multiple clubs and in two different sports and maintained a 3.3 gpa while working about 30 hours a week. For the people who have been saying that "rich kids" only get the scholarship, I am going to prove you wrong. My dad works two jobs pulling about 70 hours a week and my mom works constantly through out the week. I am going to John A. Logan on a different scholarship and the money I am getting from the Brewer Foundation is going directly into a scholarship account for the rest of my schooling. The Brewer foundation is on the best things that's ever happened to me. If you want to bash the foundation then you need to get your facts straight. I do agree that a few of the people didn't deserve the scholarship but you can't try to act like everyone who received it this year is a low life. Let me just say this, if you knew who I am and what my values, morals, and ultimate goals, you wouldn't be saying any of these derogatory statements. Also "Shocked Teacher" if you want to bad mouth the students you have previously taught, then maybe you need to speak up but not in incognito. Have you ever thought that some of the teachers are horrible influences but apparently you wouldn't want to speak up. Because you wouldn't want to lose your job over it...

Sincerely,
A Brewer Foundation Winner
I agree with you above!^^^ I received this scholarship also and I am so thankful! It pushes me to work even harder in college and these comments above offend me too because I work my ass off and I believe that I deserve it!
That 1 in 100

Herrin, IL

#11 Sep 8, 2014
I too received the brewer and I have worked throughout school, because my mom does not have enough money to send me to my preferred college. I'm attending John A until I can save the money myself for my dream college. All throughout high school I was involved in sports and held above the 4.0 standard. I was in the top 15 of my class and read the names off for graduation. Not everyone who received the brewer deserve it, yes, but most do. I know someone who lied about the amount of income their parents made and they got the brewer, but that was all they got. They aren't going to the school they want because they did not get high enough scores on the acts and they weren't involved enough. So those who lie and don't deserve it will get their karma. We told some of the teachers what the student did and word got around but there wasn't a way for us to truly prove it. It was her word against ours. As for the teacher, shame on you. If you feel that a wrong doing was made then you should want to speak out for those who did not receive it. I'm going to school to become a teacher and I hope I'm not like you. Want kind of teacher would say nasty things then complain about losing your job. It seems to me that your job isn't to important to you. All my high school teachers cared for their students and made a point to teach us that life isn't always fair and just , but those who do true and make an 100% effort do succeed in life far better than those who lie and cheat in order to "win". Stop trying to judge your students and teach them something and encourage them to join teams and clubs so that maybe the next time around they will have the grades, activities and hard work that the brewer looks for.
peoplejustwantto talk

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Sep 10, 2014
Apparently you all don't know or forget that students must have 3 letters of reference in addition to the rest of the paperwork to get considered. Not everything is a conspiracy. Just because you or someone you know didn't get a scholarship doesn't mean that the system is flawed.
Jesus

Overland Park, KS

#13 Sep 15, 2014
Shocked Teacher wrote:
This is why public education is such a waste. Even the teachers gossip about their own students. Parents please for the love of God, send your kids to private schools so humanity can actually have its place in the future.
peoplejustwantto talk

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Sep 17, 2014
Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why public education is such a waste. Even the teachers gossip about their own students. Parents please for the love of God, send your kids to private schools so humanity can actually have its place in the future.
Teachers are just like EVERY career; there are great ones and terrible ones. Generalizing does any occupation a disservice. On the same note, private schools kick out just as many dilenquents as public schools. Having money to put a child in private school is not synonymous with good parenting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herrin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stephanie Garland 9 hr bustanut 7
Herrins female UPS driver 12 hr trumpturds 2
Is HOLLYWOOD tavern closed ? 15 hr Buzzkill 11
Ace Hardware sexual predator (Jun '12) Fri Smash 27
dogs! (Jun '08) Fri JC Press 32
Jenny mezo Thu bustanut 11
Niki connor (Jun '16) Thu Buzzkill 35

Herrin Jobs

Personal Finance

Herrin Mortgages