who remembers Radio Tabernacle?

who remembers Radio Tabernacle?

Posted in the Herrin Forum

X R T

Marion, IL

#1 Jul 31, 2011
Ok, it's Sunday and I can't be the only bored person on Topix, so let's start something. Who remembers radio tabernacle in Herrin. When I was seven or eight living in Murphysboro, we used to listen to their services on my transistor radio. I also have a souvenir from a scouting event they had in their basement. Anyone remember the place?
dog

Marion, IL

#2 Aug 1, 2011
I hear it started as a holy roller church. People went there for the show. And they had good music, which they played on the radio show. By the end of the 1970's people on each side of the church would sing a different song during song service. Everyone left and they closed the doors by the late 80's. But not before a big fight and lots of drama. They are not missed.
Roy Cole of Herrin

Mount Vernon, IL

#3 Sep 3, 2011
Not the Roy Cole who was Cheif of Police or Methodist preacher. I remember going there when I was a child.. I enjoyed it even though they were UPC church they were a prosporous church with big fancy cars and they were dressed very well not your typical UPC drab garb.
dog

United States

#4 Sep 5, 2011
I don't doubt that it was a good church in its day. Herrin had three UPC churches at one time and no doubt many people had good memories of them. The point is, when the whole doctrine of a church is manmade, based on a book of fables that no two people entirely agree on, something is bound to go wrong.
Roy Cole of Herrin

Mount Vernon, IL

#5 Sep 5, 2011
The only bad doctrine that the UPC church has is the dress code, if you didn't belong to there denomination you wasn't saved and if you wasn't baptised in water you also wasn't saved which some other denominations believed.
jmo

United States

#6 Oct 12, 2011
They are some of the meanest "Christians" you will ever meet if you have made mistakes in life spare yourself the torment.
Jenn

United States

#7 Mar 1, 2012
Wow. I am UPC and what you say is really offensive. I am one of the nicest, caring people you will ever meet. Not trying to blow my own horn, but I'm just trying to tell you all UPC people are not bad. And we get our doctrine and what we believe from the bible. Our salvation comes from Acts 2:38. We do have great music, and anointed preaching. If you go once, I can assure you, you will NEVER be the same. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with someone, but don't lump us all in the same pile. :)
bull

United States

#8 Mar 3, 2012
Oh, but Jenn you are blowing your own horn. You can,always tell a upc apostolic by their exalted opinion of themselves.
Ex-UPC

Charlotte, NC

#9 Jul 19, 2012
I was raised UPC - Always felt smothered under so much man-made rules and dogma. Music was always top notch but some of the most self centered haughty people on the earth. They worship the oneness doctrine and the denomination more than God himself !
What confused me was stuff like we men could not have facial hair or long hair in church but Jesus did in the bible !!! lol. And they fly the flag so high to be baptised in Jesus name..
I still love alot of UPC folks and I am not bitter.. Just wiser in my old age.
God bless all who are trying to make heaven but lets not push religion on people. Jesus was not too hip on religious people.
Herrin is my hometown I went to West Monroe but heard alot good about Radio in the day
FTUPC

United States

#10 Jul 24, 2012
I am bitter and I have nothing good to say about those hatemongers.
They can all kiss my atheist arse.
Florida

Orlando, FL

#11 Feb 22, 2013
X R T wrote:
Ok, it's Sunday and I can't be the only bored person on Topix, so let's start something. Who remembers radio tabernacle in Herrin. When I was seven or eight living in Murphysboro, we used to listen to their services on my transistor radio. I also have a souvenir from a scouting event they had in their basement. Anyone remember the place?
I was a member there until my wife and I moved away in 1985. So many wonderful memories, a lot of good people; some of which we are still very close to today. Witnessed healings first hand there... on in particular was a young lady named Melody, she had been hit by a car while crossing park avenue in herrin. She was thrown about 65 feet and had a crushed pelvis and some other very serious injuries. Her leg had drawn some from not being used and one Sunday morning she went to the front of the church for prayer and as soon as they laid hands on her, she threw her crutches down and began to dance and run.. it was very exciting.
Florida

Orlando, FL

#12 Feb 22, 2013
dog wrote:
I hear it started as a holy roller church. People went there for the show. And they had good music, which they played on the radio show. By the end of the 1970's people on each side of the church would sing a different song during song service. Everyone left and they closed the doors by the late 80's. But not before a big fight and lots of drama. They are not missed.
I attended there for years and never saw any one "roll" on the floor. Dance and run,yes.. King David danced before the Lord in the Bible. Methodist use to dance and shout too, some old time Baptist did as well.
Florida

Orlando, FL

#13 Feb 22, 2013
Ex-UPC wrote:
I was raised UPC - Always felt smothered under so much man-made rules and dogma. Music was always top notch but some of the most self centered haughty people on the earth. They worship the oneness doctrine and the denomination more than God himself !
What confused me was stuff like we men could not have facial hair or long hair in church but Jesus did in the bible !!! lol. And they fly the flag so high to be baptised in Jesus name..
I still love alot of UPC folks and I am not bitter.. Just wiser in my old age.
God bless all who are trying to make heaven but lets not push religion on people. Jesus was not too hip on religious people.
Herrin is my hometown I went to West Monroe but heard alot good about Radio in the day
I have friends that pastor West Monroe now, Great family... Pastor Ervin has gone on to his eternal rest but Sis. Ervin is still in the area. Some really nice folks.
Florida

Orlando, FL

#14 Feb 22, 2013
FTUPC wrote:
I am bitter and I have nothing good to say about those hatemongers.
They can all kiss my atheist arse.
X-UPC... some good experiences, some not so good.. you have to move on and learn from the bad ones. It's hard but can be done.. Still a PC just not UPC.
Florida

Orlando, FL

#15 Feb 22, 2013
Roy Cole of Herrin wrote:
Not the Roy Cole who was Cheif of Police or Methodist preacher. I remember going there when I was a child.. I enjoyed it even though they were UPC church they were a prosporous church with big fancy cars and they were dressed very well not your typical UPC drab garb.
We were known in the area UPC circles as the "disco church" because we dared to be different.. We had drums, electric guitars, excellent music department and sang black gospel. Boy could we SANG!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herrin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
herrin kroger pharmacy Wed justwonder 1
Niki connor (Jun '16) Wed flabbergasted 17
who has the biggest d*ck in Herrin (Jun '16) Wed Chlorine 36
Nneka (Apr '14) Tue thruthhurtshuh 21
adam (Dec '14) Tue Gotoschool 7
garon foods (Nov '13) Jan 15 Dick 23
alan cain (Jan '13) Jan 14 purple247 13

Herrin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance