10 years after Antonich's murder, the pain lingers

The brutality of the crime and the innocence of its victim stunned the Northland. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Alicia DeVerney

Buffalo, MN

#1 Apr 26, 2007
What the hell ever!!!! my dad did not do any of the crap!!! he may have beaten him but he didnt do the shooting, so if he didnt shoot him, then why should he have to surve life in prison??? i mean people beat eachother all the time! and they only got to jail for what... a week??? i mean thats just stupid!! It was his dumb ass friends who killed him! and yeah i know it shouldnt have happend but every thing happens for a reason! And my dad wasnt the one doing the shooting!!!
Friend of Family

Plymouth, MN

#2 May 17, 2007
Alicia DeVerney wrote:
What the hell ever!!!! my dad did not do any of the crap!!! he may have beaten him but he didnt do the shooting, so if he didnt shoot him, then why should he have to surve life in prison??? i mean people beat eachother all the time! and they only got to jail for what... a week??? i mean thats just stupid!! It was his dumb ass friends who killed him! and yeah i know it shouldnt have happend but every thing happens for a reason! And my dad wasnt the one doing the shooting!!!
Your dad was involved in a MURDER, need you be reminded of that? His beating of this child lead to his death. He should serve (yes, serve, not "surve") life in prison for playing a role in this crime. And yes sweetheart, what your father did was a criminal act and he should be punished for it. How would you feel if the tables were turned and it was your dad that died due to someone "only beating," but not shooting him? I realize he's your father, and you're trying to defend him, but he HELPED KILL SOMEONE. Understand the magnitude of the situation, and the effects his actions have caused. Look at the legalities of his actions and don't let yourself be fuled by emotions (understandably so, it's probably easier said than done) and you'll probably realize why your father got the sentence he did...which was fair.
rpr

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 23, 2007
who cares if DeVerney wasnt the one who killed him he took part in it and didnt come forward they all deserve what they got. what kind of world is this if you can lose your life for a minor accident he was only 17 years old. The killers discust me.
florzoi

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#4 Jun 8, 2007
was deverney the one who castrated paul?

your dad is a criminal and should have been shot by a firing squad and started on fire and stuffed in the trunk of a car.

hope you have no kids in your family, this could happen anywhere that criminals are allowed to run free.
dd_duluth

Duluth, MN

#5 Jul 1, 2007
Unbelievable - ten years already. Gone by quickly for me, but I know it's crawled for the Antonich's. May God bless them with the peace that only starts to come with time.

As for those responsible, how could anyone, even a supposed family member, stick up for them? Everything happens for a reason? Maybe so - and the reason in this case could only be to get these ignorant drunks off the street so no others get hurt.

It wasn't an "accident" either. It wasn't in the news, but was certainly around town, that these guys were looking for trouble that evening. They slammed on their brakes to purposely get rear-ended and ambushed poor Paul.

Prison is too good a place for them.
Duluth

Duluth, MN

#6 Jul 10, 2007
I think that little mrs alicia needs to check herself... He may be your father but the things that he did do to that young man are no better then the one that shot him, your father tourchered him by beating him, watched him get shot, left his body there and acted as if nothing happened... Your father deserves to sit in a cell with donald blom for the rest of their pointless worthless little lives, they never deserve to see daylight again!!

“~Sassy~ ”

Since: Dec 06

Sunny Southern California

#7 Aug 21, 2007
it was horrendous what happened to Paul. He was actually a distant relative. Horrible thing.
family

Lake Oswego, OR

#8 Sep 13, 2007
We are not a vengeful family. I pray for those who killed my brother's only son. There still isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of Paul but I won't let the situation ruin my life as well. And my brother? He, Mary and Karen have been given life sentences of their own...unrelenting pain and sadness. Paul was so loved. I wish people could remember him for the way he lived and was raised to be and not for how he died.
Margaret

Slater, IA

#9 Sep 18, 2007
To the families of those that murdered Paul, I am sorry that you continue to speak with contempt and hatred. As for me, I heard Lois, his grandmother playing the piano and perhaps you should listen to the song "Love Remains". What a healing CD and no matter what happened to Paul his spirit and love will always remain. To Lois, I thank her every day for her CD as it helped her heal and it is my "healing CD". My father's favorite song was Jesus Loves Me and as he died a worker sang that song to him in a beautiful voice. That is the reason I bought Lois's CD. Little did I know that it would be my favorite! To you Alicia - get the CD!
alicia

Duluth, MN

#11 Jan 19, 2008
what do you mean how could i defend him! he's my dad! I'll still love him no mader what he does. im not saying what he did was ok, it wasnt. i was just trying to say that their were other guys that did it too, and i just dont think that my dad should get all the hate and blame for it.
alicia

Duluth, MN

#12 Jan 19, 2008
this is to dd_duluth.
it was to an accident! yea ok, like my dad
wanted to kill some kid! maybe his friends were
looking for trouble but he wasnt! you dont even know him!
here

Buffalo, MN

#13 Jan 28, 2008
Whoever you are, Alicia, I don't see your father mentioned specifically in any article, the only headline is that the Antonich family is suffering, and they are. Anyone who would have to go through what they did would still be suffering.
I don't think you are a judge, and I don't think you get a say in the legitimacy of the sentence he recieved.
Also, "everything happens for a reason" is not an excuse for what happened, regardless of who did it. If you truly believe everything happens for a reason, you shouldn't be complaining about the sentence your father recieved anyway.
NYCity

New Brunswick, NJ

#14 May 1, 2008
Alicia, YOUR father participated in a crime that took the life of an innocent young man. He deserves the punishment and the prison sentence he got. You do the crime - your life is over.(Period)
Your father was stupid and brilliant enough to be in that place where Paul lost his life. Your father should have the same crime done to him. An eye for an eye.
Peg

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Oct 3, 2008
All five of these men are absolutely discusting and do not deserve to even be called human being as they acted like barbarians. Alicia maybe you should reread your post..an accident? You must be kidding right? Brutally beating someone to death and castrating them..explain to me again how that becomes an accident?? You can't "accidently" castrate someone. Your father and all of his friends are PERVERTED and sick individuals that honestly don't deserve to be here anymore. I agree with others on here, an eye for an eye. All five of those "men" are cowards for beating one man that had no defense for himself. And simply why.. because he was white?? His family along with half this nation help native americans to live and pay to keep the reservations up and running for you-to try to help and then this happens?? You wonder where racism and judging comes from because individuals do horrific things like this that will neverbe forgotten. SO DO NOT try and defend your father or any of the five individuals-they are all worthless and cowards. My prayers go out to the antonich family-may he continue to rest in peace.
voice of reason

San Francisco, CA

#16 Oct 3, 2008
Alicia, I took a college course called "The Anatomy of Hate," and it taught me something that I'd like to share with you...A Jewish survivor of the Holocaust was a guest speaker of the class and his story was moving, to say the least...he said that if it weren't for the indifference of others, the Holocaust couldn't have happened...he went on to explain that it is people's indifference that allows hatred towards others to perpetuate into something heinous like man's inhumanity to man...so I urge you to consider the biases/preconceived notions these men, including your father, had towards this young man, whose life was lost senselessly...we have become too liberal in this country, to allow someone to plea bargain their sentence when they have not only participated, but acted as the ring leader in a kidnapping/torture/resulting in murder...and who knows what he could have done with his life? We'll never know...God Bless the Antonich family
voice of reason

San Francisco, CA

#17 Oct 3, 2008
Alicia, man's inhumanity to man is perpetuated due to people's indifference...you seem indifferent to the suffering that Paul and his family have endured...the crime clearly exemplifies the anatomy of hate...we are too liberal in this country to allow someone to plea bargain a when they participated in the torture and murder of an innocent person...he was only 17...who knows what he could have become? His life was snuffed out before he even got the opportunity to choose a future for himself...I recently intervened in a gang of girls beating up a white girl in downtown Duluth in broad daylight...I was driving downtown to run an errand and saw this and could not remain indifferent to that poor girl's plight...and I waited for the police to arrive after I called 911...have some empathy for the victim of this heinous crime and his family...b/c your father is guilty of aiding in a young man's brutal murder...no matter how you look at it, there is no justification for it...in most other countries today the punishment would be far greater than ten years...
voice of reason

San Francisco, CA

#18 Oct 3, 2008
Alicia, man's inhumanity to man is perpetuated due to people's indifference...you seem indifferent to the suffering that Paul and his family have endured...the crime clearly exemplifies the anatomy of hate...we are too liberal in this country to allow someone to plea bargain a when they participated in the torture and murder of an innocent person...he was only 17...who knows what he could have become? His life was snuffed out before he even got the opportunity to choose a future for himself...I recently intervened in a gang of girls beating up a white girl in downtown Duluth in broad daylight...I was driving downtown to run an errand and saw this and could not remain indifferent to that poor girl's plight...and I waited for the police to arrive after I called 911...have some empathy for the victim of this heinous crime and his family...b/c your father is guilty of aiding in a young man's brutal murder...no matter how you look at it, there is no justification for it...in most other countries today the punishment would be far greater than ten years...
CMP

Duluth, MN

#19 Oct 3, 2008
I'm sorry, but you are crazy!! Your father is also crazy!! Your father is GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!! How can you even question his guilt!! It makes me wonder about you also, how were you raised to think that this could be an accident!! He could have stopped it from happening, but did he?? No, he let it happen; he participated...he is GUILTY and needs to be punished. If you think otherwise, I question your sanity also!!!!!!!!
A former friend

Rosemount, MN

#20 Oct 8, 2008
I happened to come upon this site on my lunch break and let me tell you something, I am appalled at this little girl, Alicia, speaking so disrespectfully to adults and those mourning a loved one. I had Mrs. Antonich as a teacher and witnessed 1st hand how this has effected her. I am sure you love your father, and I know you wish to offend him. But how DARE you come on tho this site and say "Oops, it was an accident". If your dad was so great, why was he hanging out with those guys? You are only as good as the company you keep. I am sorry you are hurting. You are hurt because you can't be with your father for the rest of your life. Neither can the Antonich family. You can talk with him on the phone and see him through plexiglass, but Mrs. Antonich can only see her son's head stone. You have a lot to think about. You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, use them in proportion.
witness

Brookfield, WI

#21 Oct 22, 2008
I can't believe it's been ten years. I remember that accident like it was yesterday. Miss Alicia, please keep in mind that someone's son, brother, and friend was murdered by your father and his friends. Not only is that family traumatized, but so are the people that witnessed that accident. There was an 18 year old girl right next to Paul's car, she saw their eyes, those eyes will never be forgotten. It is quite disturbing to think that you were what, 3 when this happened? I think maybe you still are 3 after reading your improper grammer. Even so, why in the world have you not sought a mentor, a father figure. You are not the only little girl in this world that has lost thier daddy to stupidity. Be grateful that he is in prison and not home beating you. Do yourself a favor and join the Boys and Girls Club. Go back to school. Feel sorrow for those that lost a loved one because of YOUR FATHER. Feel sorrow for that 18 year old girl that reached across her seat and locked her door instead of getting involved. Feel sorrow for her because she lives every day of her life wondering why she didn't stop what was about to happen. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Get over the fact that your dad is a loser that will rot in prison for his ungodly acts of stupidity. He wasn't thinking of you when he committed this crime, so why are you giving him your energy. Be a better person than your dad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hermantown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheap power down rigger or downrigger Oct 4 Could be Obamas son 1
Synthetic drug seller gets 17A1 2 years in prison Sep 29 agreed 5
Building a niche in student rental market (Aug '06) Sep 27 happpppy 2
Tulenchik sentenced in burglary, beating (Mar '08) Sep 22 His Son 9
Alone again (Dec '06) Sep '14 Mom of 4 26
chevy aveo 04 radio code Aug '14 augusto 1
St. Paul banker John Markert fails in bid for p... (Dec '13) Aug '14 Elizabeth King 3
Hermantown Dating
Find my Match

Hermantown Jobs

Hermantown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hermantown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hermantown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]