Town of Fairfield "Justice" and Scott...

Town of Fairfield "Justice" and Scott W. Davis

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

Is this crazy or what

Herkimer, NY

#1 Jan 27, 2014
This is a newspaper account from the Little Falls Times, Little Falls, NY, January 27, 2014, page A5.

Dolgeville- DOLGEVILLE MAN ARRESTED FOR ASSAULT, ENDANGERING WELFARE OF CHILD

A Dolgeville man was arrested on two counts of third degree assault and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child at 5:40 PM on January 17, according to Dolgeville Police.

Scott W. Davis, 45,of 6 Lamberson St, was arrested for allegedly hitting, kicking and shoving a person during ongoing domestic disputes resulting in the person suffering a broken leg and other injuries, while in the presence of two children, police said.

Davis was arraigned in Fairfield Town Court and was remanded to the Herkimer County Correctional Facility in lieu of $1,000 cash bond or $2500 bail bond. Other charges are pending against Davis, police said.

-----
"A broken leg and other injuries," two counts of child endangerment, "ongoing domestic disputes": For the the police allege assault in the THIRD degree and the Fairfield Town Justice asks for $1000 cash bond.

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the alleged crime and the bail assignment. I am hoping that someone, somewhere, can examine this case.

I wonder if the woman's victimization continued with the police and the town justice.

And of course there is no mention of the children at all.
not crazy

Carthage, NY

#2 Jan 27, 2014
you have to understand the legal system in New York. You have a judge that is elected with no legal background. He is not an attorney and receives 3 days training. This is New york with a very corrupt system.
joe

Pascoag, RI

#3 Jan 28, 2014
Is this crazy or what wrote:
This is a newspaper account from the Little Falls Times, Little Falls, NY, January 27, 2014, page A5.

Dolgeville- DOLGEVILLE MAN ARRESTED FOR ASSAULT, ENDANGERING WELFARE OF CHILD

A Dolgeville man was arrested on two counts of third degree assault and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child at 5:40 PM on January 17, according to Dolgeville Police.

Scott W. Davis, 45,of 6 Lamberson St, was arrested for allegedly hitting, kicking and shoving a person during ongoing domestic disputes resulting in the person suffering a broken leg and other injuries, while in the presence of two children, police said.

Davis was arraigned in Fairfield Town Court and was remanded to the Herkimer County Correctional Facility in lieu of $1,000 cash bond or $2500 bail bond. Other charges are pending against Davis, police said.

-----
"A broken leg and other injuries," two counts of child endangerment, "ongoing domestic disputes": For the the police allege assault in the THIRD degree and the Fairfield Town Justice asks for $1000 cash bond.

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the alleged crime and the bail assignment. I am hoping that someone, somewhere, can examine this case.

I wonder if the woman's victimization continued with the police and the town justice.

And of course there is no mention of the children at all.
More to the point why was he charged with only assault third instead of assault in the second degree since there were broken bones.
joe

Troy, NY

#4 Jan 29, 2014
joe wrote:
<quoted text>More to the point why was he charged with only assault third instead of assault in the second degree since there were broken bones.
That judge is one of the best around. He is very fair and professional.
Real Issue

Little Falls, NY

#5 Jan 29, 2014
Where is the District Attorney in all this?
Bidder

Utica, NY

#6 Jan 29, 2014
Real Issue wrote:
Where is the District Attorney in all this?
Hahahahahha. Busy with the dog abuse case that keeps getting continued. He's a joke you all elected.
Ted Kennedy

Albany, NY

#7 Jan 29, 2014
The alleged crime would need to meet the threshold of the definition of the crime. For the crime to meet the Assault 2 threshold of "Serious Physical Injury". While we all believe that a broken bone would meet that criteria it is not necessarily the case. A defined by the NY Penal Law, Serious Physical Injury is
-creates a substantial risk of death;
-causes a serious and protracted disfigurement;
-causes a protracted impairment of health; or
-causes a protracted loss or protracted impairment of the function of any bodily organ

Not knowing the extent of the injuries it is hard to determine if Assault 2nd fits. I am sure that there was discussion between the arresting agency and the DA's office prior to charges being filed. If not, there should have been. In regard to bail I am sure that the justice asked for a bail recommendation from the DA's office prior to the arraignment. While the justice is not bound be a DA's recommendation, they generally always follow it. Remember the accused should only be remanded with bail if he is determined a flight risk or it is believed that he would be a risk to the community if released.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kevin durant wont visit whitehouse unless 47 min great white hope 7
Anyone know Trista Dennis and Richard Hungerford 15 hr Wondering 1
Ryan healey 20 hr Hahaha 3
Saint John and Nancy still meeting together Mon St anthonys 11
People in Herkimer who Made a Difference (A Goo... (Dec '08) Mon codie a 18
News Shakespeare Comes To the Utica Zoo Sun EMMETT TILL 7
EAST HERK. Homes being EGGED Sun HumptyD 10

Herkimer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance