Herkimer works to lower proposed tax increase

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

friends of the merger

Little Falls, NY

#1 Apr 20, 2013
here we go come in high then look like we are getting something good out of this deal...let me tell you something mayor you better get it down or your out a job come election. HERKIMER —
Village officials are wrangling with lowering a 9 percent property tax levy in the 2013-14 proposed budget.

“It’s high, and we know it’s high, and that’s not acceptable,” Mayor Mark Ainsworth said.

The budget proposal is about $6.7 million, an increase of $380,250 from last year.

On top of a 33 percent increase in employee retirement costs and 17 percent increase on health insurance costs, Ainsworth pointed to a loss of about $600,000 in property taxes due to reassessment.

“We’re getting whacked,” he said.“When a majority of your properties are tax exempt, and (there) are more people getting lower assessments, it creates a bigger burden.”

Ainsworth said they’re reaching out to police and fire unions to see where they can save money, as well as working with their broker on health insurance costs.

“We are looking at all avenues,” he said.

The village has never discussed layoffs, however, Ainsworth said they might eliminate positions through attrition as well as rearrange scheduling on a temporary basis.

The village has until May 1 to adopt a budget.

“We will get it down,” Ainsworth said of the tax levy.
csi herkimer

Herkimer, NY

#2 Apr 20, 2013
for what we get here, we are all ready over taxed. just look at the new list of homes for sale here. wow, ive been here 68 year, it does not look good for the home team.
yeah

Stephentown, NY

#3 Apr 21, 2013
What does the School budget look like? Have we seen that yet?
csi herkimer

Herkimer, NY

#4 Apr 22, 2013
not much on school taxes yet. we are over taxed already. don't know what has happened here. but taxes going up is not the answer. look at our gas, we are the highest around. no reason to be that high, except for greed. I gased up the other day for 3.61. we are in a bad spot, taxes are high, gas is high, and to many homes for sale. was born here in Herkimer, and I have seen first hand what has happened. somehow we need some good paying jobs. when the government gets bigger then the people, something bad always happens. my children, went to Herkimer schools.they all got a good education here. they live in the south, and are doing very well. they have homes and land three times my size, and pay half of what we do. I love it here,i have some homes here. I keep telling my children it will get better. they also say it to late for the home team.
Resident

Little Falls, NY

#5 Apr 23, 2013
Once again the Unions have over reached and are bankrupting the village. Of course we have the same group of idiots running the show. Does anyone ever wonder why all of our businesses are leaving? Do you even care? Just keep raising taxes without a REAL effort to curb the bastard pensions and benefits that are breaking the tax payers back. Maintaining the status quo is all any of these village idiots are capable of. Because they love their public teet as long as they get theirs.Screw everybody else. Have any doubts? Stop by the village offices sometime and enjoy the attitudes.
sinking ship

New York, NY

#6 Apr 23, 2013
Resident wrote:
Once again the Unions have over reached and are bankrupting the village. Of course we have the same group of idiots running the show. Does anyone ever wonder why all of our businesses are leaving? Do you even care? Just keep raising taxes without a REAL effort to curb the bastard pensions and benefits that are breaking the tax payers back. Maintaining the status quo is all any of these village idiots are capable of. Because they love their public teet as long as they get theirs.Screw everybody else. Have any doubts? Stop by the village offices sometime and enjoy the attitudes.
And after the mass shootings by Kurt Myers, followed by the standoff, those public safety unions will gladly have their hands out for more. Malone already set that table with his comments within days after they killed Myers, about how we need more police coverage. Fear tactics at its finest. Fact is, this guy was never on anybody's radar and no greater or smaller amount of LEO's locally would have made any difference. Besides, most of local LEO work is traffic enforcement, whenever they bother with it.
Quantity of scale

New York, NY

#7 Apr 23, 2013
Village should disolve and be governed by the County.
Municpalities or cities below 10,000 residents residents are ill equiped to offer paid fire and police protection.The revenue is just not there to keep up with the mandates, retirements, and benefits. These services should be consolidated with other surrounding governments or provided by the Town and County.
sinking ship

New York, NY

#8 Apr 23, 2013
Quantity of scale wrote:
Village should disolve and be governed by the County.
Municpalities or cities below 10,000 residents residents are ill equiped to offer paid fire and police protection.The revenue is just not there to keep up with the mandates, retirements, and benefits. These services should be consolidated with other surrounding governments or provided by the Town and County.
Unfortunately, the tax base is no longer there to support lower levels of governance, like Village. Consolidating and eliminating it would be a win for the taxpayers. It would not completely cut out some expenditures, like police services, but most of what the Village does administer would be rolled into County. One layer of taxes could be eliminated. Yes, County taxes might rise a little once it takes over Village services, but it should not rise by as much as what the Village was costing. Not a chance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need a man. 2 hr douswallow 2
It's Been 6 Months and What has the Fatty Mayor... 10 hr Plan Z 2
What did Ex-Ilion investigator PAUL ROSE reciev... 10 hr cry 2
Herkimer to be annexed in 3 years? Sat Lark Lancer 88
Pure Fri sophia 4
Shear Pleasures Dec 19 joke 31
Larry Dack comes out of the closet!!!! Dec 19 Hahahahahahahahaha 4
Herkimer Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web