Problem with HERKIMER

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Resident

Syracuse, NY

#1 Sep 5, 2013
As for Tony B. on the board, he needs to leave, as I feel he knows nothing about business, nor nothing about helping run a village with concerns.

Always pushing it on residents and business people to do their jobs. You're on the board numb skull...get it done.

We, the people, can say all we want, but we cannot be the ones to push laws and snap fingers to change. Business people WILL NEVER come to main street to rent one of those dump spots, and I know as I am a business person who has looked on the street. Waste of time and money for anyone to rent anything other than the SSI people for housing.

I would never open a shop there knowing they can have SSI folks sitting out on their stoops no the street looking like trash. Or the hanging out on the sidewalks doing nothing but making a mess and looking like trash.

The buildings in general all need money invested in them for proper change rather than just collect rents. Lets start taking pics of what the insides look like for each building that TONY B wants business to rent and see where that goes.

Lets name all the property owners on the street and see who is doing what about fixing up the buildings and not paints with the institution grey paint for these buildings or crazy colors that they got cheap.

Lets name all the SSI renters on the street and see who are at fault for making the mess on the street.

I went to the block party at Petes a few weeks back and could not believe all the dead beets on that side that all were clearly SSI bound and degenerates being nothing but rude to the talent on stage.

You go around the corner to Belly up and it was like stepping into sunlight and a good feeling. main st, I felt like killing myself, but once around the corner, I was a new person, even though I don't drink, I still had a fun time.

Main street trash new better not to come to the other side and they all fit in well right where they belong..in front of their housings on main.

You need someone who does codes who does not rent to SSI people and someone who will take charge as a conflict of interest.

Empty buildings should look clean from the outside with mocked up windows of what businesses could go in there. Free rent for several months should be offered too to have someone take a chance there.

You would never see people hanging out in Saratoga main like they do in Herk main street.

Just look at the old Affordable MAttress building with all thge blankets and sheets for curtains. That building alone is a reason not to do business there.

Basically each building would need harsh inspections and ones who pass can stay and ones who fail will need to be relocated elsewhere.
Get these folks working who can work instead of sitting on their azzes in lawn chairs on main. Have social services start clearing out folks who can work and get them on their own rather than smoke, drink and do nothing for society.

Herkimer main street needs some sort of attraction first off paid for by the village to start. Could be something to look at on the street or a park type setting, or a focal spot.

CUT those darn trees down as they do nothing but block the light at night and makes the street look worse that it already does. bring the light back in as trees are not needed on the street. Why have light poles when most of the light is blocked by trees.

If you are going to have trees, then trim them and have them all look uniform.

put some color on the street with flowers and remove the ugly meters and start marking the tires like Saratoga does.

How much revenue can meters turn when nobody shops there. If shops returned then the county would get sales tax more and it should make up for a loss on meters.

I am sure that won't fly though as that is a big part of their money making they claim.

Do some other things to earn money in the village like holding more events on the street or elsewhere. Her needs to be run like a business. Start cutting costs now.
Agreed

Little Falls, NY

#2 Sep 5, 2013
No business wants to be in those buildings downtown because they contain so many codes violations, utility problems, and are full of piles of junk! They key is effective codes enforcement! Why hasn't the new owner of the Old Glory Days building been cited for the boarded up and broken windows? Why hasn't that consignment children's shop been cited for having a boarded-up window for FOUR YEARS NOW. Then there's the Quackenbush building. And these are just for starters.

Replacing broken parking meters is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The Village Trustees need a strategic plan, and they need to start treating this like an emergency. They will have to lead the way and do a lot of work - that is why they were elected to their positions! Because they promised to be leaders. Start leading!
Gomer Pyle

Syracuse, NY

#3 Sep 5, 2013
Agreed wrote:
No business wants to be in those buildings downtown because they contain so many codes violations, utility problems, and are full of piles of junk! They key is effective codes enforcement! Why hasn't the new owner of the Old Glory Days building been cited for the boarded up and broken windows? Why hasn't that consignment children's shop been cited for having a boarded-up window for FOUR YEARS NOW. Then there's the Quackenbush building. And these are just for starters.
Replacing broken parking meters is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The Village Trustees need a strategic plan, and they need to start treating this like an emergency. They will have to lead the way and do a lot of work - that is why they were elected to their positions! Because they promised to be leaders. Start leading!
EXACTLY...the morons on the board need to take a business class and marketing class to apply to what they think they know.
The business folks should be in charge and get rid of everyone on the board who does not qualify to help run a village.

Each on the board, including the mayor can all go by one name and that is "MORON". Or "DUMB DUMB".

Start with the swipes of each building starting from Collis' to opposite end for both sides. Write violations and give a deadline for repairs. Recheck and either pass or fine again until up to proper codes. Have someone from outside the area conduct these codes sweeps too.

Then order no more hanging out on the street unless they are doing retail business. If they live upstairs then they stay upstairs in their apts.

Anyone who does not comply with repairs then will get a second warning and then the village takes over and bills the costs to their tax. if taxes are not paid then with charges then the village takes over and offers FREE RENT to any business who wants to try for six months no obligations.

Give someone a chance to start something without rent expense.

Have this as a plan for the entire street where nobody is renting. once all have potential businesses who would like to try then let them loose to start all at once with a planned all at once grand opening date for the entire street.

Each business possibility would then need to go by a board for approval and with restrictions like "NO HAND WRITTEN SIGNS", or "NO HEAD SHOPS OR JUNK SHOPS".

After six months are up and everyone gets a good running start, then you offer 1-3 or 5 year leases at a good price to start to keep them there. Maybe offer cheaper rent until the economy and area grows back and then build up higher rent base.

I am mentally retarded with no skills and even I have some ideas to start something.
pissed off citizen

Worcester, MA

#4 Sep 5, 2013
We have a very weak leader in our Mayor. New blood is needed on all levels. Main street is an embarrassment to every WORKING person in the village. Way too much scum on the streets. Why do we let scum rule the roost? Mayor get your head out of your ass!
Concerned Resident

Waterloo, NY

#5 Sep 5, 2013
classic case of "too many chiefs, and not enough indians"....most folks here get off on that illusion of self importance, when they are in fact, nothing but nosey, wanna be players...

talk is very cheap and lots of folks are talking, just to hear themselves talk
Petes barfly

Ilion, NY

#6 Sep 5, 2013
Resident wrote:
Herkimer main street needs some sort of attraction first off paid for by the village to start. Could be something to look at on the street or a park type setting, or a focal spot.
It's a shame that Crazy Otto Empire Diner fed the World's Largest Omelette to pigs. It would have been an excellent monument to downtown Herkimer, perhaps as the centerpiece of a pedestrian mall.
Tony Brindisi

Ilion, NY

#7 Sep 5, 2013
Gomer Pyle wrote:
<quoted text>I am mentally retarded with no skills
Me too!
working tax payer

Fort Plain, NY

#8 Sep 5, 2013
All I can say NY'ers, get used to the state, and small town USA going to shit. That's what happens when you have democrats being in office. They can't do anything right. Look at California. Bankrupt! Shitcago. Leads in murder! Detroit.Shit hole that needs to file bankruptcy! All democratic state. We have become the entitlement nation. It is no wonder our towns, and villages look as they do. With hardly anybody working, and all their free stuff, what's a person to do when they are not working?? Let's go hang out, smoke our cigarettes, while we scratch off our tickets. This country is so messed up, and I am sick of it! All I know, is I can sleep well at night, knowing I had nothing to do with putting Obama into office!!
csi herkimer

Herkimer, NY

#9 Sep 6, 2013
herkimers problem started long before president Obama took office. its has been in decline for about 15 to 20 years. the problem is easy pickens. look around what do you see more of today then years ago? not enough people paying taxes, soc. ser. to easy to get. everything is tax free. we seen our school go from graduating in the hundreds to 70s. it maybe to late for small town usa to make it in ny. the problem just isn't main st. its almost village wide. I don't know how you fix the problem. our children keep begging us to get out. sell all, and get out of there. only god knows how long it would take me to sell. overall taxes are a killer. and they are all going up. look at the factories we have lost in my life time here. we replaced them with wally world.i been here my whole life,almost ready to pack up, add my home to the 33 other places for sale in the town and village. there are still a lot of hard working people here,i don't know how long that will last.
barfly

Cold Brook, NY

#10 Sep 6, 2013
csi herkimer wrote:
herkimers problem started long before president Obama took office. its has been in decline for about 15 to 20 years. the problem is easy pickens. look around what do you see more of today then years ago? not enough people paying taxes, soc. ser. to easy to get. everything is tax free. we seen our school go from graduating in the hundreds to 70s. it maybe to late for small town usa to make it in ny. the problem just isn't main st. its almost village wide. I don't know how you fix the problem. our children keep begging us to get out. sell all, and get out of there. only god knows how long it would take me to sell. overall taxes are a killer. and they are all going up. look at the factories we have lost in my life time here. we replaced them with wally world.i been here my whole life,almost ready to pack up, add my home to the 33 other places for sale in the town and village. there are still a lot of hard working people here,i don't know how long that will last.
It's your ratpublicans and good ole boys club!!!! wake up
disgusted

Little Falls, NY

#12 Sep 6, 2013
The other day I drove on main street and seen a bunch of fat bastards with no shirts on sitting with coolers. Can you imagine that sight, a almost puked! They are now bringing their coolers, radios, and whole clan and sitting like its a party or something. I thought that was called soliciting(?). Where are the cops when this goes on, my god its right around the corner from the police station. But then again, it's Herkimer the scum city what else can we expect. The five board members should be proud of themselves look what you have created. I wish I could say look at me I am the MAYOR of scumville. I'm so jealous.(NOT). The board members are running this poor village in the ground.
Bob

Syracuse, NY

#13 Sep 6, 2013
A local law needs to be in place to NOT have anyone sitting on main street unless they are shopping or wanting to take a quick rest on a bench that herkimer has out for resting shoppers, which does not appear to be on main anywhere anyway.

Chief claims they cannot kick them out as its their front porch which is bull sh@T.

Its not their front porch period and they need to be swept off the street as now the scum bag fat pricks are taking over as an eye sore on the street on top of the already exsisting problems.

The old pharmacy on main seems to be the front stoop for these low life's who don't and never worked. Earn your keep scums and do some good for the human race and do your part for survival and not wast it away day after day.

The Chief and Tony B need to go
www herkimernow org

Ilion, NY

#14 Sep 6, 2013
Bob wrote:
A local law needs to be in place to NOT have anyone sitting on main street unless they are shopping or wanting to take a quick rest on a bench that herkimer has out for resting shoppers, which does not appear to be on main anywhere anyway.
Chief claims they cannot kick them out as its their front porch which is bull sh@T.
Its not their front porch period and they need to be swept off the street as now the scum bag fat pricks are taking over as an eye sore on the street on top of the already exsisting problems.
The old pharmacy on main seems to be the front stoop for these low life's who don't and never worked. Earn your keep scums and do some good for the human race and do your part for survival and not wast it away day after day.
The Chief and Tony B need to go
oh stop being silly Bob, you know that's not permissible under our federal, state and local laws. you can't just shoo people off a public street unless extraordinary circumstances prevail like an emergency.

we don't live in North Korea or Syria or Iraq or Egypt where martial law can be dictated at will.

the welfare scum-suckers loitering on Main St certainly are the single greatest inhibitor to any meaningful improvement to the wretchedness that is Main St but face it --- the problem is essentially intractable.

hence, Main Street is more or less doomed to be a miserable socioeconomic hellhole into perpetuity.
www herkimernow org

Ilion, NY

#15 Sep 6, 2013
Bob wrote:
The old pharmacy on main...
... has been replaced by the "new pharmacy".... open air drug dealing on the street!
Thank Ron

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Sep 6, 2013
www herkimernow org wrote:
<quoted text>
... has been replaced by the "new pharmacy".... open air drug dealing on the street!
You can thank Ron Williams and his great social experiment! How did that workout Ron?
Malcolm Xlax

Utica, NY

#17 Sep 6, 2013
And not to mention all the large fluffy white women who need a stiff black rod.
Another Damn Anon

Herkimer, NY

#18 Sep 7, 2013
I am proud so many have taken to this issue. It will take everyone of us to correct years of mishandling and mismanagement. It bothers me that some of you choose however to single out Tony B as the party to blame. In truth it is my fault, just as much as it all of yours. Our town became complacent, we lost interest in civics. We left the job to a few, with little oversight and opinion.

Either way our new day is here. We can sit and listen to the reasoning of old. Or stand, united and create the change we want.
www herkimernow org

Ilion, NY

#19 Sep 7, 2013
how can we effect change when we have a village board that thinks restoring all the parking meters on Main St is a smart move?

Brindisi is the chief advocate of the parking meters BTW...

Scarcely anyone visits Main St as it is ... so let's make it even more uninviting by charging people to park in any of the many open spots available any time of the day!

this is the monkey-headed mentality we're dealing with here......
Another Damn Anon

Herkimer, NY

#20 Sep 7, 2013
www herkimernow org wrote:
how can we effect change when we have a village board that thinks restoring all the parking meters on Main St is a smart move?
Brindisi is the chief advocate of the parking meters BTW...
Scarcely anyone visits Main St as it is ... so let's make it even more uninviting by charging people to park in any of the many open spots available any time of the day!
this is the monkey-headed mentality we're dealing with here......
On the parking meters, I had posed the same question. A business owner on the street gave me this answer: If the village did not have parking meters on main st. The street would be flooded with residents cars from the above apartments. Seemed to make sense??
Another Damn Anon

Herkimer, NY

#21 Sep 7, 2013
As example tomorrow Glory Days plywood windows will be painted a nice shade of white to improve area aesthetics. Those painting it could possibly face graffiti or vandalism charges. If said people, were to get detained and charged and taken before court, would you the juror convict said person. It's called Jury nullification. It works best in smaller towns to bring change when the laws are stacked against them. Or you can continue down the same road. Which does not seem to be getting us anywhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scumbags! 1 hr Sick of it all 3
Herkimer to be annexed in 3 years? 2 hr for real 25
ReneeG 3 hr Marian 7
herkimer Wal-Mart 3 hr Marian 10
beacon center (Nov '12) 14 hr Chuck 143
Obesity Sat Huge Gina Supporter 13
Stuff the Bus campaign kicks off Friday evening Sat einstien 9
Herkimer Dating
Find my Match

Herkimer People Search