punny

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2012

I am looking for any information that anyone may have on Albert (Tut) Nichols. He owned the taverns first on N. Washington St. then on king St. Didanyone know him or know of him, or have any stories of his life? It would be greatly appreciated.
Former Valley Girl

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2012

Bob Cat wrote:
Gretchen Haller's piano studio on N Washington St...Chris-Eleanor Dance Studio...St. Joseph's Church..Steuben School..LW Bills...Knights of Columbus...Sears Gas Station on Main St..the library was in the Earl Mansion ..
Bob Cat...was happy to see someone mention Chris-Eleanor's School of Dance. In the late 1940s, I took dancing lessons there and have some wonderful photos that my uncle took. Chris and Eleanor were beautiful in their costumes. Great Memories.
jerseymaiden

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2012

Judged:

I went to ChrisEleanor's every week from the age of 8! I was there 2 or 3 times a week when I was in HS. That place was my 2nd home, I loved ballet & I loved Chris - Eleanor was gone by then (late 60s thru 1976, when I graduated HHS). It was on Court St near Washington, I think the bldg is now used for county offices. Have such great memories of ballet lessons there.
Lt Colonel

Jamestown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

How about going downstairs in the post office to get some decals from the armed service reps. I remember getting a bunch of seabee stickers when I was young there.
Manion Building

Newport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Larry Hyatt and his Karate School
JOHOBUON

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
A member of my family bought the ambulance service from connie nowaki. I aslo remember the ferris wheel . wow what a flash back Thank you!!
Does anyone remember Rivenbergs at the corner of King Street?
This is going back, remember when the politicians finally opened the poolhouse after marching down South Main Street, pool was on the southside, I think there is/was a motel there. The kids (me) were thrilled to have a bath house divided down th middle one-side for boys, the other for the girls. The canal took many a young persons life back in the day, we were sooo happy to have that pool in the summers.
mr knight

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

al's coin shop across from st anthonys church .. the velvet cue and golden cue .. pool halls .. the herkimer bowling alley ... rustic inn .. standard desk .. victory market .. churchs chicken .. m r knickerbocker .. the herkimer chief ... t p drive inn ... girmonde florists .. house of china ...
Tom

White Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2012

Did anyone remember Sheryl's Gym? She has the sign up "Think Slim, Sheryl's Gym". The place was over by State Street Mills.
Eileen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2012

yummm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it was! Thankfully I have the recipe for the incredible mexican sauce. I'm making some this weekend.
It would be so wonderful if you would post that recipe. I also remember a drive in in East Herkimer back in the 40s, maybe even 30s, called Christman's. What a sauce they had!
FarmerGreen

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2012

How about the hundreds of dairy farms that used to surround Herkimer? Just empty run-down shells of themselves now. About 3,000,000 acres of abandoned farms in NY these days.
Jen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2012

How about Apple Orchard Cleaning where Dr Zilka's dentist is now.

GULF station where Stewarts is

Dapper Dan where Fastrac ks

Dairy Queen where foot doctors is.

Joes Diner next to EFK plaza
marsha

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

I lived on Harter st. right next to Niagra Mohawk. Such a wonderful place to grow up in. I loved going to the state st mill, all the store on Main st. especially at christmas time. The music would play and the snow falling. I miss my friends. several have passed away. The liberty theatre was great and some jerk decided to tear it down. I couldnt have had better childhood. So sad how horrible it is now.
marsha

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

jerseymaiden wrote:
I went to ChrisEleanor's every week from the age of 8! I was there 2 or 3 times a week when I was in HS. That place was my 2nd home, I loved ballet & I loved Chris - Eleanor was gone by then (late 60s thru 1976, when I graduated HHS). It was on Court St near Washington, I think the bldg is now used for county offices. Have such great memories of ballet lessons there.
My late friend Karen use to go their,sometimes i would go with her.
marsha

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Shy Girl wrote:
Anyone remember Mungers Dept. Store and the Liberty theater where you could watch a double feature for only 25 cents!
Yes miss those so much!
HCCC Class of 82

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Judged:

I remember Herkimer being a very different place than today.

I also remember Jimmy' Stuffed Shirts Pizza, Quinto's Pizza,(Pizza then was under $5.00 for a large pie).. Herkimer Chief , Messick's, Aiello's Markets...TP Drive in (Mexican Hots)....Herkimer Bowling Alley... Late night Study for exams with a break at Dan Dee Donuts for great fresh ground coffee and fresh made donuts. I remember the woman that worked midnights was so nice...Anyone remember her name? Woods Tire I remember when school started my roommate had a bad tire and they gave him credit for a pair of tire until his student loan check came in (over a week).

HERKIMER BACK THEN WAS VERY LOW CRIME ALSO... I knew someone that got a disorderly conduct for spinning his wheels in the parking lot at Chicago Market and the School found out he was fined $15 and HCCC put in on probation and he could not play sports that semester.

I remember the people of Herkimer being so friendly and it was being in a time warp 40 years earlier.
old days

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Main street use to be nice... i remember when kings cort mall had all sorts of shops. When herkimer days had all the buisnesses with there games and side walk sales.. it was nice to walk down main street back then
got out of dodge

Princeton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

used to be a craft store over by kings cort mall too, cant remember the name though. we used to get our boy scout uniforms there.
Hmmmm

Lake City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Shrek wrote:
Mohawk Bake Shop was where Desperado is now, right around the corner from Cole Muffler. Anybody remember the Blue Moon ice cream at Lovier's? How about the Mexican hots at T-P?
Loved the MEXICAN HOTs at TP. I still think about em! What about Zajacs Bakery on King St (?). they had the best breads!
got out of dodge

Princeton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

maybe it was bonnies?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Edwards or Carbone for Town Clerk 2 hr Puma 36
Valley health Schrader & Watson 5 hr whats up 176
Herkimer Ponderosa for sale Days are numbered 7 hr just wondering 7
Vince Bono is a JACKASS (Mar '13) 7 hr just wondering 56
Mysteries of the universe with busy mom (May '13) 22 hr busy mom 84
Shear Pleasures Tue EverNotice 11
Debate: Ferguson - Herkimer, NY Tue Tawana Brawley 4

Search the Herkimer Forum:
•••
•••