West Leyden, NY

#367 Mar 18, 2011
Herkimer's radio station, WALY.

Since: Oct 09

Long Eddy, NY

#368 Mar 19, 2011
Bob Cat wrote:
Herkimer's radio station, WALY.
With Hank Brown....wasn't it 1420 on AM band?
Eileen

AOL

#369 Mar 20, 2011
Phyllis from Virginia wrote:
Does anyone remember Manley's Hot Dog Stand? I remember my Dad taking us there in the 1950s on a warm summer night, but cannot remember where it was located.
Wasn't Manley's behind Munger's facing North Washington Street?
Bob Cat

West Leyden, NY

#370 Mar 20, 2011
Yes, you're right, 1420.
Shy Girl

Northampton, PA

#371 May 29, 2011
Just Off Center wrote:
Who else is old enough to remember the train station? Remember being able to walk up the stairs from Mohawk

St to the train tracks.
I remember it. And we took the train to Utica.Also went to NYC.
Shy Girl

Northampton, PA

#372 May 29, 2011
Anyone remember Mungers Dept. Store and the Liberty theater where you could watch a double feature for only 25 cents!
niceguy

Bridgeport, NY

#373 May 30, 2011
Let's not forget a more current place now out of business, GLORY DAYS (in the old GH). was a hoppin, happenin place to be for a while. Now the lights on Main St. go out at 9PM

Since: Oct 09

New York, NY

#374 May 31, 2011
Shy Girl wrote:
Anyone remember Mungers Dept. Store and the Liberty theater where you could watch a double feature for only 25 cents!
Yep...worked at Mungers when I was in high school in the late 60's, and we were always at the Liberty Theater on Saturday afternoons during the 50's and 60's. I remember when my allowance was 50 cents and would be able to go to the movies and buy popcorn or candy and a drink. Oh, the good ole dayz!!
Why

Newport, NY

#375 May 31, 2011
niceguy wrote:
Let's not forget a more current place now out of business, GLORY DAYS (in the old GH). was a hoppin, happenin place to be for a while. Now the lights on Main St. go out at 9PM
What happened to Main Street?
niceguy

United States

#376 May 31, 2011
It crapped the bed. Lots of reasons, other than WalMart-independent owners grow old, die, sell out and retire, lowlife hanging out on the streets, downtown looking dirty and rundown, big businesses closing or moving out of town, parking meters. For all the lipservice the mayor and village board give us, they won't raise a finger to help a struggling proprietor which was proven in the case of GD @ GH.
iker

Camillus, NY

#377 May 31, 2011
downtown store owners too lazy to clean the pigstys they call stores and too stupid to not use the closest parking space god forbid a customer has a place to park,then you have the aholes like the masons that have their firetrap rat infestive apts.the business owners are the cause
the herkimer chief

Jacksonville, FL

#378 Aug 23, 2011
was the best
lfman

Long Eddy, NY

#379 Aug 28, 2011
Kirkpatricks corner store was on Bellinger and bellinger, kitty corner from St Francis church. My old neighborhood
Tom

Yonkers, NY

#380 Sep 14, 2011
I can't believe no one mentioned the Herkimer Chief! Don't anyone forget State Street Mills. Everything was less than a dollar. ACME Grocery Store, which became the library in the late 70's, Victory Market across the street from McDonalds. Louviere's Dairy on Caroline Street had the best ice cream! I suppose i should throw in Hummels Office Supply. They sponsored my little league team in 1974.
al p

Baldwinsville, NY

#381 Sep 24, 2011
the drive-in in east herkimer????????
it was just off pine grove rd.
Pac Man

Ithaca, NY

#382 Sep 24, 2011
What about Pachman auto parts on Mohawk Street; used to get stickers for free from them all the time.

Uniforms Shop on Main at the old Mr C's?

How about the old Gulf station where Stewarts is?

Aiellos Grocery and flower place across from it?

Ralph's Liquors on both side of Mohawk?

House Of Beauty in the OLD OLD Ralph liquors?
GFYS

New York, NY

#383 Sep 24, 2011
how about laserdo's and big jims subs?
yummm

Long Eddy, NY

#384 Sep 24, 2011
Eileen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't Manley's behind Munger's facing North Washington Street?
Yes it was! Thankfully I have the recipe for the incredible mexican sauce. I'm making some this weekend.
Punny

Penfield, NY

#385 May 14, 2012
Does anyone remember 'Tut' Nichols and 'Tut's' Bar on King Street or N. Washington?
Mike F

United States

#386 May 14, 2012
al p wrote:
the drive-in in east herkimer????????
it was just off pine grove rd.
Here's a link to a great site. The main site focuses on drive-in's in general, but this link gives some info on the history of the 2 drive-in's local to the Mohawk Valley:

http://www.newyorkdriveins.com/mohawkvalleyre...

Enjoy!:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carpenters lawns signs are placed illegally thr... 3 hr yeehaw 4
Endzone 11 hr Lucas 4
The Good Ol'Boys favorite Coward refuses to debate 11 hr CYaMike 46
Shear Pleasures (Feb '15) 16 hr No Surprise 60
Any one here EVER beat PEZ at golf? 16 hr What 2
New and improved Belly Up Pub 18 hr Yukk 21
News Herkimer College Ranked Second Best Community C... Mon herkimer resident 11

Herkimer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Herkimer Mortgages