Late Great Businesses of Herkimer's Past

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
Bob Cat

AOL

#1 Aug 29, 2008
State Street Mill, Victory Markets, Boardman's, The Vogue, Library Bureau, MDS, Grant's, Nichol's Discount City, Daffy's Discount, Gallinger's Drugs, Hammer's Jewelers, The Herkimer Clothing Center, Marine Midland Bank, Mr, C's, Munger's, Woolworth, M.R. Knickerbocker, Cherry's, Chirico's, The Stuffed Shirt, The Pub, Chicago Markets, Carl's Drugs, The A & P, Hale Manufacturing, Boyle's Pit, The Palmer House, Montgomery Ward, The Robin's Nest, The GH, Green Street...just some!
ALTAdog

Woods Cross, UT

#2 Aug 29, 2008
How about Little Joe's? Best ice cream and pies! Lovier's Dairy? Real 5 cent ice cream cones that were loaded! Bill's? Village Inn? What was that sub shop's name? They had the best subs! Dineen's with no women at the bar!!! I used to smoke cigars and my wife was trying to buy me one and was told NO WOMEN at the bar! She was so embarrassed!
Just Off Center

Clinton, NY

#3 Aug 29, 2008
Herkimer Camera Shop, Sheldon Moses Jewelers, Bob Perry's Barbershop, Endicott Johnsons, Valley Stereo, Herkimer Electronics, Williams Furniture, Tut Nichols Bar, Pachmans Auto, Losurdos Pizza, Perkins Buick, The German Manechor, The Plaza Inn, Big Jim's Subs, Jimmy's Stuffed Shirt, The Prospect Inn, Quackenbush Auto, River's Gas Station (the original convienient store), Woods Tire, Just to name a few more.
Just Off Center

Clinton, NY

#4 Aug 29, 2008
Oh wait.... can't forget, the biggest, most famous disco in central NY, used to draw huge crowds from Utica....

The Electric Scene.
another voice

United States

#5 Aug 29, 2008
Pelton's Hardware, Gallinger Drugs ( Rexall ), another dx store further up, Durant's ? Western Auto, National Auto. Hoz's Meat Mkt, Herkimer Chief, Acme, Woolworths.
Bob Cat

AOL

#6 Aug 29, 2008
Gretchen Haller's piano studio on N Washington St...Chris-Eleanor Dance Studio...St. Joseph's Church..Steuben School..LW Bills...Knights of Columbus...Sears Gas Station on Main St..the library was in the Earl Mansion ..
another voice

United States

#7 Aug 30, 2008
Kirkpatrick's Cor Store, Rifenburghs, Tarnawa's,
Cindy

AOL

#8 Aug 30, 2008
Yes, Rivenburg's! Rivey's store was wonderful..we loved that they kept their Christmas lights up all year long on the front porch! No more corner stores in Herkimer, and that's a shame. What was the name of the small store that was right next door to Bills school? And what a shame about the state that place now, too.
another voice

United States

#9 Aug 30, 2008
there was also Nowacki's on So Wash St and there was also a store on E. German St near Steuben St
Cindy

AOL

#10 Aug 30, 2008
Yes, Nowacki's--across from St. Joseph's. Remember when Herkimer had a dump, which was (I think) near where Creekside Courts is now?

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#11 Aug 31, 2008
remember leo's gas station, where kaviks parking lot is now? back when gas was .72 a gal. leo would plug your tire for $3. you could even buy cigarettes for your dad when you were nine.
Bob Cat

AOL

#12 Aug 31, 2008
Leo had a Coke cooler with the old fashioned bottles for sale...I just remembered that I used to buy cans of soda for a quarter. Man.
another voice

United States

#13 Aug 31, 2008
it's all finally coming back, eh Cat ?......lol
Bob Cat wrote:
Leo had a Coke cooler with the old fashioned bottles for sale...I just remembered that I used to buy cans of soda for a quarter. Man.
Cindy

AOL

#14 Aug 31, 2008
I remember Ricky's Market and the Stop and Shop, both on German St. Popsicles for a nickel! Real penny candy!
Cindy

AOL

#15 Aug 31, 2008
Where was Kirkpatrick's corner store?
AgnesM

Constableville, NY

#16 Aug 31, 2008
Remember Hoz's Market on Green Street.
Cindy

AOL

#17 Aug 31, 2008
Oh, that's right! When did they go out of business?
AgnesM

Constableville, NY

#18 Aug 31, 2008
Hoz's went out a long time ago, but I remember going there with my MOM.
Cindy

AOL

#19 Aug 31, 2008
I can remember the place..cannot remember if I ever went. What was on the site of EFK plaza before the plaza--does anyone remember? Plus wasn't the former Baby Boomers a bar called the Wonder Bar (or something like that)?
ALTAdog

Woods Cross, UT

#20 Aug 31, 2008
How about Top Hat? and what was the place called before they changed it to Bobo's just as you came into Herkimer?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) 3 hr Jimmy Rustle 676
hccc 7 hr Graduate 9
Herkimer is wonderful 8 hr Graduate 8
Jocelyn and Francis 10 hr LF Mom 4
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) 17 hr truth 759
older women, younger man 17 hr Suspicious Minds 3
Edwards or Carbone for Town Clerk Sat Resident 69
•••
•••
•••

Herkimer Jobs

•••
•••