against school merger
hi baby

Yarmouth Port, MA

#549 Jan 15, 2012
alarmed parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a comedian? You should be! Or do you just enjoy insulting people's intelligence...
Three superintendents putting their jobs in jeopardy, LOL!
I guarantee you this -- NOT ONE the current superintendents would lose his or her job as as result of a merger into a MILFH Mega District.
IN FACT -- the study calls for NEW administrative positions ... THREE of them, as a matter of fact -- how very convenient!
Assistant Superintendent for Academics
Assistant Superintendent for Administration
Assistant Superintendent for Transition
On the subject of personnel overall, I highly doubt that a new administration would propose, and that the Board of Education would approve, ANY clear-cut, surgical layoffs.
They will offer early retirement incentives (how much would that cost?) And attrition will occur as usual.
But clean-cut we're laying off 12 or 15 or 17 people? Highly doubtful in this parochial little valley.
You ask for it, it would be impolite to throw it out there.

---You are voting "no" because you don't want your taxes to go down. You want them to increase. Once the merger is voted down you can't justify voting against a tax increase. "Can't"

You don't want added programs for your kids. The same programs are fine and you don't care if the school has to cut one or two.

You are not interested in the merger savings of 2 million. It's not much of a savings.

You don't want the Millionsssss from the aid package.

THE best is the exaggeration and out right lies in order to get people to vote with you.

Everybody is lying to you right? The superintendents, the independent study group and your neighbors that were involved in the community study groups. Everybody is lying...TOO FUNNY.

sad
laugh at u

Yarmouth Port, MA

#550 Jan 15, 2012
alarmed parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh OK, so the REPORT IS WRONG, transportation costs would NOT go up $1.6 million.
ROTFLMFAO.
You're a joke.
You have zero credibility.
Substiting your own (mis)information for data that is documented in the report. What a TOOL.
Or let us assume that you are right, and the report has grossly misstated transportation costs -- then what else has the report grossly misstated?
You're the same jackass claiming that Tangorra was out of the loop on the approvals required for the full four-district MILFH merger to occur. LOL.
You're in no-win situation, moron. Please STFU.
I don't have kids you do and all I can figure is...you hate them and everyone else's kids too.

The first figures came in at 700+ thousand for transportation. The final figures are a one million increase. In the final tally with everything figured in, the merged systems would save 2 million and that's after cutting taxes in three villages.

If i'm telling the truth, if it was proven to you would you vote yes?
fill me in

Yarmouth Port, MA

#551 Jan 15, 2012
alarmed parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh OK, so the REPORT IS WRONG, transportation costs would NOT go up $1.6 million.
ROTFLMFAO.
You're a joke.
You have zero credibility.
Substiting your own (mis)information for data that is documented in the report. What a TOOL.
Or let us assume that you are right, and the report has grossly misstated transportation costs -- then what else has the report grossly misstated?
You're the same jackass claiming that Tangorra was out of the loop on the approvals required for the full four-district MILFH merger to occur. LOL.
You're in no-win situation, moron. Please STFU.
What's this mean?? I don't get it.

>>>>>"You' re the same jackass claiming that Tangorra was out of the loop on the approvals required for the full four-district MILFH merger to occur". LOL.

I know the grant was written by Cos to pay for the study group to research a Mohawk and Ilion merger and it was granted. Then Herkimer and Frankfort asked to be included after the fact. Then the four districts went back to the state with a rewritten request for a grant to include all four districts.
hunt this

New York, NY

#552 Jan 15, 2012
fill me in wrote:
<quoted text>
I know the grant was written by Cos to pay for the study group to research a Mohawk and Ilion merger and it was granted. Then Herkimer and Frankfort asked to be included after the fact. Then the four districts went back to the state with a rewritten request for a grant to include all four districts.
finally someone of intelligence who has been following this from the start. It did originally begin as talks between Ilion and Mohawk about 2+ years ago and eventually the other two districts decided to explore this with them.
alarmed parent

New York, NY

#553 Jan 15, 2012
laugh at u wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have kids you do and all I can figure is...you hate them and everyone else's kids too.
The first figures came in at 700+ thousand for transportation. The final figures are a one million increase. In the final tally with everything figured in, the merged systems would save 2 million and that's after cutting taxes in three villages.
If i'm telling the truth, if it was proven to you would you vote yes?
I'll say it again, because certain of you clearly failed reading comprehension.

According to the report, transportation costs would increase by $1.65 million from $2.3 to $3.9 million in a first year. Pasted from pg 52 of the report:

Estimated expenditure to the four school districts for transportation without reorganization:
45 bus routes x $51,293 =$2,308,385

Estimated budgeted expenditure cost to achieve the Preliminary Transportation Framework Plan in a reorganized school district:
77 bus routes x $51,293 =$3,949,561

So -- you're claiming that the report is incorrect?

Is that right?
right page 52

Auburn, NY

#554 Jan 15, 2012
alarmed parent wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the report, transportation costs would increase by $1.65 million from $2.3 to $3.9 million in a first year. Pasted from pg 52 of the report:
Estimated expenditure to the four school districts for transportation without reorganization:
Estimated budgeted expenditure cost to achieve the Preliminary Transportation Framework Plan in a reorganized school district:
Is that right?
Question...do you believe it's a 1.6mil increase? I didn't think you believe anthing in the study.
all right

Auburn, NY

#555 Jan 15, 2012
alarmed parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that right?
If I'm right will you vote yes?
No Way

New York, NY

#556 Jan 15, 2012
I am definitely voting no. Don't forget that even the most obvious was messed up in the study and in the meetings. They said multiple times even if 1 district votes no the merger can go on with 3 districts. Now they have been corrected by the state and have to change their story because the truth is that if only 3 districts vote no, there will be no merger for any of them. If they were so wrong on something so basic and so important, can you even trust the numbers and ideas in the study at all? I think the districts should get a refund from the merger study company for such sloppy oversight. Such B.S. VOTE NO!
NOT

Auburn, NY

#557 Jan 15, 2012
No Way wrote:
I am definitely voting no. Don't forget that even the most obvious was messed up in the study and in the meetings. They said multiple times even if 1 district votes no the merger can go on with 3 districts. Now they have been corrected by the state and have to change their story because the truth is that if only 3 districts vote no, there will be no merger for any of them. If they were so wrong on something so basic and so important, can you even trust the numbers and ideas in the study at all? I think the districts should get a refund from the merger study company for such sloppy oversight. Such B.S. VOTE NO!
Untrue...What meeting did you hear that at?

In the first vote if one of the boards (for example) had vote no, the four district merger would be over and the three that voted yes could then explore a 3 district merger.

The public vote is a different animal. If one district votes "for" the merger I'm pretty sure we'll be stuck with each other for two years. We have an option to revote in a year and a day and if we can't agree to merge at that time we sit idol for another year unable talk any type of merger.
No Way

New York, NY

#558 Jan 15, 2012
NOT, that's now what I was talking about. A little less defense mechanism and a little more brain activity please. Some prune juice will make you feel better
nope

Auburn, NY

#559 Jan 15, 2012
No Way wrote:
NOT, that's now what I was talking about. A little less defense mechanism and a little more brain activity please. Some prune juice will make you feel better
NOT is right about one thing...the voting rules are what they are and have never changed. You got some bad info somewhere.
No Way

New York, NY

#560 Jan 15, 2012
Funny that NOT and nope are both from Ilion with similar names, perhaps the same person trying to look like 2 people? Our NO's will win over your YES'. I wonder if the local bookie is taking bets on this vote.
AGAIN

Auburn, NY

#561 Jan 15, 2012
alarmed parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that right?
Honey if I can prove it's a million will you vote yes???
another alarmed parent

New York, NY

#562 Jan 15, 2012
honey, if you can't prove it will YOU vote NO?
tell the truth

New York, NY

#563 Jan 15, 2012
No Way wrote:
Your entire post is BS. It was all four voting yes or no merger. There was nothing to clarify since this was known last summer. The study was done on a four district merger, not three and not two. It has to pass in all four or the idea is dead issue.
here we go

Albany, NY

#564 Jan 15, 2012
alarmed parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that right?
Here's the kicker...state transportation aid is 90% of all "approved expenditures". The average approved expenditures for all 4 districts are above 80%. But when figuring a budget they use a 70% rate (more conservative) so we don't get caught short.

So our estimated state transportation aid to the four school districts for transportation without the merger is:
$2,308,385 x .70 =$1,615,729 combined cost “without” a merger.

Then estimated state transportation aid to the merged district based on the preliminary transportation
framework plan is:
$3,949,561 x .70 =$2,764,693 combined cost “with” a merger.

$2,764,693
-$1,615,729
----------
$1,184,868

Now remember we figured on the high side so all being equal...1 million.:-)
I changed my mind, I want a hummer instead. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Vader

New York, NY

#565 Oct 12, 2012
heckyeah wrote:
Holy crap! I always thought these "advisors" who help the kids at activities were doing it because they enjoyed it, as part of their regular salary. This is a total disgrace! You need to pay $1270 to have a SAAD advisor? How SAAD is that!!! And a class advisor milks more money off the school system? These teachers are already making around $60,000 or more. Comeon, give the kids some of your time if you want to, and if you don't then let someone else do it. I can't believe they get paid extra for these things. And then they complain when they have to pay a little bit into their health insurance premiums. What a disgrace! I am voting NO NO NO. After seeing all this there is no way I am going to vote for the merger. Take care of the expenses at home first. Once that is done then they can come crying to us. These Hschools need a lesson in fiscal responsibility. Incredible.
Have you put any effort into finding facts at all?!? I am married to a Herkimer teacher and adviser. We DO NOT make $60,000 plus a year and we pay plenty into our insurance!! Right now because of my husband "stealing your tax dollars" he's working 12 hour days and only sees his kids briefly each day. Now do you really think he's not working hard and sacrificing for an extra $1200 that is for a whole year! FYI teachers DON'T get paid during the summer! This is not about the merger to me, this is about appreciating the hard work and dedication a lot of teachers put forth for our kids. Yes, the education system is broken but DO NOT blame the teachers!
agree

New York, NY

#567 Oct 12, 2012
i believe that over the summer they can get checks or get one lump sum for the summer, and u are correct, they get alot of time off and they know this when becoming a teacher.. I dont understand why they are so for the merger, if u read the reports they basically say that the education is not like it should be but will be w the merger? they are putting down the teachers acting like they are not teaching our kids anything.. and w the merger i would think more jobs would be lost.. who needs all those math or music or art teachers.. i believe if they stayed seperate districts they wld have a better chance in keeping their jobs, how mnay times have u heard that music was going to be cut? and it never was and never will be. its all a scare tatic to get people to vote yes for administrators pay increases. its sad
Vader

New York, NY

#568 Oct 12, 2012
WTF16 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a lot of respect for any teacher! It's a job I wouldn't want at all, mostly because I cannot tolerate today's smart-ass, unruly kids!
But let's face it, Mrs. Teacher's Wife, teachers today are basically PART-TIME employees. 8 1/2 to 9 months a year...gimme a break ! Teachers and students get more time off every year..this day, that day, Spring Break, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years...you're talking WEEKS off,not just a few days! And it's my understanding that teachers have the option of how they're paid, by the school year, or weekly, is that correct?
Again, I have respect for the profession, but it IS basically part-time.
Thank you for your respect at least. At Herkimer(this may be different at other schools) the employees have the option to get their full pay every two weeks or have a little taken out of each check to be put into their last check in June. They don't work during the summer and they don't get paid. As for the time off for holidays etc... it's a perk of being in education, probably the only one. And more often than not that time is taken up with all the work he brings home; grading, lesson plans, progress reports, etc...I understand everyone's frustration and if I wasn't living it I'd probably be right there with you. But I cannot condone the attitude that teachers are over paid and under worked! You're confusing them with politicians! Again, thank you for the respect, not a lot of that going around so I really appreciate that.
Make your vote count

Herkimer, NY

#569 Oct 13, 2012
Make sure you vote, It is your right !!!

The question people do not ask is how will we get the biggest bang for our buck now or then?

Keep one thing in mind while ready the following. Government funded programs are just that. If ran a business like the government you would not be in business.(ie, General Motors) They could not sell there products to fund the promises from many many years before the same as government funded programs
(ie ,school systems etc.)

Everyone has the right to VOTE either a emotional or personal choice it is yours, make sure you vote!!!

Lets talk capacity levels. The true CURRENT numbers show that if the Merger happens.

Fisher elementary school will at 51% capacity
Barringer Road elementary will be at 102%
Herkimer elementary will be at 59%

Jarvis school will be at 91%
Herkimer High school will be at 60%
Ilion High school will be at 82%

All schools and staff should be utilized at maximum 100% capacity.

If the annual budget is 64,000,000 divide it by 6 schools that is 10.7 million per school.

If you average all schools at this point you will only be getting 72% bang for your buck.

A true merger is to save money and look out for the tax payer and the students. This combined district will spend $18,265 dollars per student, after laying off 14 teachers and closing Remington school in Ilion.

School boards over the many many years have caused the issue at hand. It is your choice you have the right to VOTE do it and make it count. Get involved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George Aney (Jan '10) 17 hr THE TRUTH 129
Huge 17 hr at vinnys 2
ray ruthford 19 hr Wondering 13
HARC Goodwill Garbage Pile 19 hr Shopper 50
Vinny's Wed just passen thru 22
GODs WRATH on ILLEGAL LATINOs Wed muzzie scum 4
Christine Daley Wed google google 2

Herkimer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance